News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T_MacWood

The Ross Bandwagon
« on: March 30, 2003, 06:53:03 PM »
I understand Wayne Morrison and TE Paul ran across a club that to this day claims Donald Ross designed their Wm.Flynn golf course. Daniel Wexler uncovered a course in Florida that has been attributed to Ross for years but was actually the work of CH Alison. Metacomet in RI is another Ross design that is actually the work of Willie Park-Jr. What is the cause of this phenomenon and how wide spread is it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »

Forrest Richardson

Re: The Ross Bandwagon
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 07:07:55 PM »
Perhaps Ross is easier to spell? Perhaps Ross was among the first "brands" in our world of golf architecture to be recognized among the early designers.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 07:12:45 PM »
I have no knowledge of the courses in question.  However, growing up in Chicago, it was amazing how often some house would burn down, and the newscast would quote someone as saying "it may have been designed by Frank Llyod Wright....

So the cause is probaby simple human nature, perhaps some insurance money, or just fascination with celebrities.

Brad Klein mentioned that some courses claimed Ross stopped by, but in checking his train schedules, he found the trains didn't even stop in those towns.  Maybe Brad can elaborate, or (shameless plug) you could buy his book.....

In Minnesota, the nine hole Cloquet Country Club has some old newspaper articles saying Ross designed the original nine.  They also have some saying Goldstrand added nine last year, and that is probably easier to confirm. ;)  Brad never mentions Cloquet.  It has some Ross features, and I think it was built the same year or just after Northland, so you can see that perhaps they got Ross' construction foreman over for a day, then called it a Ross.  I'm not even sure DR made it to Northland, or at least they didn't have records of it a few years ago.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 07:14:39 PM »
A couple of others;

I believe Craig Rokke previously mentioned Immergrum, near Pittsburgh (if memory serves), which was really designed by Dev Emmett, but for years went with the Ross heritage story.

Concord CC outside Philly thought that they might have been a Ross course (formerly known as Brinton Lake CC), but Wayne's findings make it obviously Flynn's.  In fairness to that club, they did not claim to know who the designer was, but speculation always centered around Ross.    

What's the reason for this?  Well, my guess is that Ross was so ubiquitous in his heyday, and one of the first really well known of the classicists in modern times, that when there was some question about a classic course's design history, and even a shred of evidence that Ross might have been even remotely involved, courses jumped on that assumption, sometimes erroneously.

T_MacWood

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2003, 08:17:01 PM »
Many of these imported talents - like Park, Alison and Fowler -traveled extensively and were reliant on local constructors. I wonder if these construction groups were affiliated with Ross and that connection might have contributed to the confusion.

I spoke with a former superitendant at Chevy Chase who was involved in an investigation into the course's history. It turned out the course dated back to the turn of the century and in 1911 they called in Ross to advise. Very earlier in his design career Ross spent one day at the course, made some recommendations and then moved on. Alison completely redesigned the golf course in the early 20's, however the club's long time (over 3 decades) greenskeeper - a former Ross hand - promoted the idea the course was a Ross. Last I heard its now an Art Hills.

B. Mogg

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2003, 08:47:03 PM »
Kind of like the Dye Design / Pete Dye phenomenom today!? Pete Dye is certainly a bigger drawcard than Perry or Andy Dye and Pete is happy to let them use his name.

tonyt

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2003, 10:10:24 PM »
I agree with Forrest's post, which mentioned the key word "brand". Doesn't matter who's better, but if you can use a recognisably great brand, they'll go for it.

I'm looking forward to seeing Tom's Kidnappers in Kiwiland, and love visiting Pram (Paraparaumu) but the average mug punter will head to Gulf Harbour, with it's RTJjr tag. The Aussies will only perk up about Pram when you tell them what Russell did back home.

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2003, 12:48:22 AM »
Tom MacW;

Concord C.C. who for years thought they were Ross now willingly accept they're a Flynn course. They had nothing to prove they were Ross, obviously, they just thought they might have been. Plans showed otherwise. To attribute a course to an architect I feel that plans are the best bet. Relying on just articles and indirect word is never quite as good or reliable. Plans tell it all, in my book. With Flynn we've also proved the exact architectural attribution of Kittansett and Shinnecock too. The Shinnecock/Dick Wilson rumor has all come to light now. Sometimes people going way back get thrown off because of the interssting distinctions between who designed the course and who actually built it. There's still a great deal to be learned in that juxtaposition, I think, even amongst very good architectural analysts. I'm coming to find more and more my own course was that way. Ross designed GMGC, there's no question of that--he spent three solid days there but then for the next 4-5 years the construction of the course was overseen by a member by the name of Weston Hibbs who spent everyday on the construction.

Chris Kane

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2003, 01:03:23 AM »
Sounds similar to the MacKenzie bandwagon in Australia: any course that can claim a link to the great man is elevated above others that cannot, and clubs seem to stop at nothing to find a tenuous link!

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2003, 04:27:31 AM »
Both Tom Paul and I have made a number of interesting findings in the course of our research on the golf designs and constructions of William Flynn.  You note here that I made the same distinction that Tom mentioned above.  I'll mention some of them here.

There are several courses such as Westchester-Biltmore (Travis), Burning Tree (Alison and Colt), and perhaps a redesign of Sunnehanna (Tillinghast) that Toomey and Flynn (the construction arm of the business) constructed the courses for the primary designers.  It might seem reasonable to speculate that they did some minor design input along the way but that they clearly were the construction team on these courses.  We have seen newspaper accounts that talk about Flynn as the designer of these courses, clearly they confused design with build.

There are also a number of courses that were originally designed by others, a great many by Ross, but were quickly redesigned by Flynn; in a number of cases these were complete redesigns.  However, the courses continued to be referred to as Ross courses.  These include Beaver Dam (Prince Georges), Indian Spring, Pocono Manor (6 holes by Ross with a redesign and an additional 12 holes by Flynn), and others.

There are courses such as the aforementioned Brinton Lake (now Concord) that were thought to be a Ross but were unsubstantiated.  A prominent restoration architect and his staff also thought that it was Ross.  Our drawings, with William Flynn noted as golf course architect rather than Toomey and Flynn, construction engineers (builders) indicate that the course was built to Flynn's plan.  

Norfolk CC, now Sewell's Point, was thought to be a Ross course, I'm not sure why and neither is anyone associated with the club.  But C+W cite the course as being Ross, they are part of the Ross Society, and have a picture of Ross hanging in the clubhouse.  This course is marketed as a Ross course.  Now, Tom and I come in with incontrovertable proof that it is a Flynn design--we have the original drawings and early aerial photographs that prove it was designed by Flynn (drawings state by William Flynn, golf course architect) and built according to the plans.  The head pro seems convinced that it is a Flynn, but what is he going to do?  Take down the picture, resign from the Ross Society, change the scorecards?  They don't seem likely to do so.  Well, we're not trying to carry the Flynn banner over there and picket the place till the error is corrected.  We are simply correcting the historical record.

As Tom Paul noted, Kittansett was clearly routed and designed by Flynn (we have many of the hole drawings--some are missing) that clearly show Flynn as the overall designer of the course.  Frederick Hood appears to  have overseen construction and perhaps he even added some design input (although it is merely unsupported speculation).  You can see how building the course was confused with designing the course.

There are instances where some of Flynn's employees took credit for work they clearly did not do.  Red Lawrence took credit for designing Indian Creek, a work clearly designed by Flynn.  We have his drawings and the recollections of his daughter (Connie Lagerman) spending a great deal of time working there.  Similarly, Dick Wilson, returning to Shinnecock in the late 50s or early 60s told some of the members that he was the designer of the course.  Well, the membership took him at his word and the club histories credit Wilson for the design.  According to separate accounts from David Gordon and Connie Lagerman, Wilson was never even the on-site man in charge of construction.  

It is evident that the company, Toomey and Flynn, was comprised of Flynn's design company and the Toomey and Flynn engineering arm.  Toomey was 12 years older than Flynn and was the first name on the corporate title.  Flynn used two project foremen, William Gordon and Red Lawrence.  Gordon was the project foreman for Shinnecock and Wilson was directly under him.  In fact, Wilson undertook his own interpretations of Flynn's design and they had to be removed and redone according to Flynn's specific plans.  We're not sure how Wilson was able to take credit for work where he was at a junior level, but he did manage to do so.

We have also discovered lost courses that were finished or in some stages of construction and some that were never started that are of enormous interest.  Quite the opposite of misrepresentation, these were never known or became forgotten.  The complete collection of works by William Flynn we think will fascinate and surprise many of you.

There are many courses besides those of William Flynn where work is misidentified.  Chris Clouser, George Bahto, Dan Wexler, and others have all come up with instances such as those mentioned here.  This is a fun part of the research process; discovering new information or debunking existing myths.

Tom and I believe that the process we use in our research method correctly identifies and presents the facts that are stated as such.  Information that falls short of the high standards we set are presented in their true form with all supporting (and in some cases non-supporting) evidence and left to the judgement of the reader.  However, they are clearly noted as such.

Brad Klein

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2003, 05:03:30 AM »
A civil engineer in Hartford named Robert Jack Ross who worked in the 1920s has spawned some subsequent claims that Donald Ross designed those courses. I remember trying to correct Ken Venturi on this some years ago when he (mistakenly) spoke on TV about the first version of the TPC at Cromwell have been designed by D. Ross when it was the other one.

As for Metacomet, that's as pure a Ross as you'll find; I have the 1921 routing plan to prove it. I'm curous what Park's involvement might have been. I know some claim that other courses in R.I. owe their heritage elsewhere. I remember one guy trying to claim that Ross had nothing to do with Misquamicut in Westerly, R.I. Having held the Ross plans in my hands, I feel otherwise.

In other cases, Ross stopped by for a day or two, tinkered with two bunkers, and presto, it's a Ross course. Hey, I know plenty of architects today who try to get away with the same thing. If my old club had been designed by Lazlo Farradughkua and Ross once stopped in for a tuna sandwich, I'd rewrite the scorecards to make it a Ross, too.

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2003, 05:11:53 AM »
Brad Klein,

Don't sell Lazlo Farradughkua short.

He was a hell of a designer.

Unfortunately, it was of women's dresses.  ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2003, 05:25:14 AM »
"I remember one guy trying to claim that Ross had nothing to do with Misquamicut in Westerly, R.I. Having held the Ross plans in my hands, I feel otherwise."

BradK:

Misquamicut is an interesting one but what's there is definitely Donald Ross. However, it's not quite that simple. There was a 9 hole course there preceding Ross. It looked to be sort of a par 3-3 1/2 affair.

An old original very rudimentary stick routing of it hangs on the wall in the corner of the pro shop and it's kind of falling out of the frame (I told them they should do something about that).

Some think it may have been a Willie Park jr design (the little 9 holer preceding Ross) but I don't think that's proven yet to be Park.

However, it would be very interesting to see if Ross reused in some form, holes, greens, or parts of holes from that old 9 holer. It'd be tough to do as I recall that old stick routed 9 holer is on just a piece of paper with no particular reference to any identifiable landmark and with no contour lines (to identify anything today) although the club is sure the old 9 holer was right on the same land as Ross's Misquamicut.

I'd like to know for the simple reason that some of the high quirk holes and a few of the other interesting holes at Misquamicut are some of the neatest old fashioned but really playable holes I've seen anywhere.

T_MacWood

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2003, 05:29:35 AM »
Brad
Park advertised in the major golf magazines of the day that he designed Metacomet. He also listed it on a pamphlet of golf courses he designed (published in 1922-23). Park noted he did not oversee Metcomet's construction and it appears he was often reliant on others (like O.Smith and R.White) to construct his golf courses. In Rhode Island Ross (or the Ross organization) would have been a natural choice, perhaps they collaborated. Robert White is often credited for Shorehaven, but it was designed by Park. The same with William Diddel and Highlands in Indy.

Wayne
When did Toomey join Flynn - was he around for Westchester? Have you tracked down who Peters might have been in the firm of Flynn and Peters?

Is it difficult to determine what is Flynn and what is pre-existing in a redesign like Glen View or Atlantic City?

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2003, 05:30:47 AM »
"Don't sell Lazlo Farradughkua short.
He was a hell of a designer.
Unfortunately, it was of women's dresses."

Stifle it---will ya Pat!

If you start trying to defend Lazlo Farradughkua against "BIAS" too, I'm coming directly to northern NJ and whack you upside the noggin with my 1-iron!

ForkaB

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2003, 05:35:11 AM »
Isn't it ironic that these days only geezers like Tom Paul (and me) carry 1-irons?  We must be getting closer to god......

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2003, 05:46:01 AM »
"When did Toomey join Flynn - was he around for Westchester? Have you tracked down who Peters might have been in the firm of Flynn and Peters?

Is it difficult to determine what is Flynn and what is pre-existing in a redesign like Glen View or Atlantic City?"

Tom MacW:

We don't exactly know when Toomey and Flynn formally teamed up into a company but they sure did work together through the teens probably starting with the beginning of Merion East in 1911--but then they worked for Merion and freelanced out doing various things--but not formally together until the early 1920s.

Westchester! We don't know yet what went on up there and are about to collaborate with Bill Quirin & Mike Pretowski who are writing a history of Westchester C.C. right now to see what we can come up with about what's Travis and what's Toomey & Flynn.

Glenview--don't know much yet--at least I don't.

Atlantic City is real clear. We have the old routing and design plan of the original John Reed course with the Willie Park 9 hole addition and Flynn's design right over the top of the whole thing. Plus we're gonna meet soon with Doug Fraser, the undisputed expert on all things to do with ACCC--including the guy who personally delivered the bunker dune grass from ACCC to Merion. About that bunker dune grass coming from ACCC to Merion and what I said about that earlier--I was right but I was off by about 60 years on the timing.

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2003, 06:03:35 AM »
"Isn't it ironic that these days only geezers like Tom Paul (and me) carry 1-irons?  We must be getting closer to god......"

Don't push me pal, or it's gonna be dueling 1-irons or jousting 1-irons. And I have the horse and armor too! What are you gonna do--defend yourself with your 1-iron on some little Scotch ewe? And you're not just dealing with a guy with some old 1-iron---I have a whole bunch of 1-irons! I'm apt to come after you like one of those Japanese warrior maniacs who have whirling swords in both hands!

You better start reading Max Behr and understanding him better buddy--or I'm coming after you with my 1-irons anyway! You wanted to see some "shock and awe" in the last few weeks didn't you? And you're disappointed it never happened, aren't you? Well, I might be about to show you what "shock and awe" really is! And you'll be mince-meat but I won't disturb a single blade of grass or granule of sand on that magnificent natural Scottish landscape over there. Max would appreciate that!

T_MacWood

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2003, 06:11:48 AM »
TE
What year did Flynn redesign ACCC?

In the past I thought Wayne indicated Toomey joined Flynn around 1924, Westchester would move that date back to at least 1921.

Have you determined who Peters (of Flynn and Peters) was?

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2003, 06:36:18 AM »
Tom MacW;

Wayne has the plans at his house but my sheet says he did ACCC in 1923. About Westchester, we don't know exactly when Toomey and Flynn technically formed their company but the point is they could have worked closely with each other long before that. Flynn had been designing from way back and in the teens and early 1920s he was working informally with Hugh Wilson too on some things (Kittansett, Seaview and likely others). Flynn and Wilson had planned to form a partnership but Wilson was sick and he died at 45 in 1925. He recommended that Toomey and Flynn get together formally apparently. Hugh Alison even wanted to form some kind of partnership with Flynn but Wilson did not recommend that and said Toomey was a better idea. All of them were still centered in and around Merion and working a ton on improving American golf course agronomy with their National Green Section that became the USGA's Green Section. They were pushing certain strains of bent grass bigtime and Toomey even attempted to corner that market until they told him he couldn't do that. Lots of stuff was going on back then in all kinds of collaborative arrangements--mostly informally.

As to the Flynn combination with Peters--we don't know anything about that yet, although we've heard about it---we're expecting some info on that from a guy in Ohio called Tom MacWood.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2003, 07:14:35 AM »
Tom Paul-  Its Mike Prystowsky whose writing the Westchester history with Bill Querin. As you have heard, he has some really interesting ideas about the course and Travis and possibly Toomey/Flynn involvement.

I've seen the series of aerials dating from 1926 to the present.  They are an amazing collection.  The bunkering initially was Hollywood or old Flynn Shinnecock like in their appearance. By 1940 they have totally changed and really look like later Flynn style bunkers that we might recognize today.

wsmorrison

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2003, 08:50:20 AM »
Tom MacWood:

It appears to Tom Paul and I that the story of Hugh Wilson intending to go into design business with Flynn but his deteriorating health caused him to encourage Flynn to go into business with Howard Toomey is suspect.  We have designs that show the construction of courses in the early 20s, perhaps as early as 1921 (going by memory here) by Toomey and Flynn in any case years before Wilson died in January 1925.  Toomey died in 1933 we believe, so he was around for much of the best work.  It is interesting that so little is known of Toomey.  He and Flynn were members at Pine Valley, they clearly did some construction work and a bit of design work there, they were both on the golf committee at PV for a time in the mid 20s, and Toomey was on a senior executive committee with officers and trustees as well.

The Wilson-Flynn relationship seems more involved than we were originally led to believe.  It is indicated by Wilson correspondence that he was involved in other projects besides Merion East and West, Cobb's Creek, and Phoenixville. Wilson was involved in a great deal of early agronomic issues at a host of clubs including Pine Valley, early on at the Seaview Bay Course.  It also seems that he was in collaboration with Flynn on the 9 hole Pines Course.  Wilson spoke of having trouble with Pickering (formerly in charge of construction at Merion but replaced by Flynn due to excessive drinking) and not recommending him for the work at Seaview.  I have to go back and review materials and see if this was work on the original Bay or the new Pines course.  Perhaps Flynn worked with Wilson on the Cobb's Creek and Phoenixville courses much like their coaborative efforts at Merion.  I just found in the Merion archives a death notice in the 25th anniversary of Wilson's 1902 class at Princeton that upon his death, Wilson was working on Marble Hall, the public facility that is currently wholly attributed to Flynn.  We need to do a lot more research where it comes to the working relationship between Wilson and Flynn, the evidence points to more work than was imagined.  It does seem clear that Wilson was, on a personal level, a very dear friend of Flynn's, it was even stated by CV Piper that he was a father figure to Flynn.

We don't have Flynn drawings of Westchester, although we do have a 1920 routing map by an unknown draftsman. I sent a copy to Michael Prystowsky along with newspaper accounts that credit the construction to Flynn.  He sent me aerials, I'll copy them and give a set to Tom Paul so we can analyse them.  Geoffrey Childs, thanks for getting us together!  It is a win-win situation for all of us.  It is possible that Tillinhast was at Westchester in the course of his travels and did some bunker work.  The aerials that we have should help quite a bit, let's hope we can figure out who did what.

As for Peters, Tom MacW--you are the only source of this man that we are aware of, Flynn's daughter did not recognize the name.  Please send Tom and/or I anything you have on the guy.  If you know his first name that will, of course, help.

As to Glen View club, we'll be going out there this year.  They are involved in developing a Flynn Invitational tournament, a Geoff Nixon initiative, which I hope Flynn courses would like to participate in and ensure its success.  I need to go back to the archives and study it some more, but with the able help of Geoff, Adrian Kruse, and other enthusiastic members, we should be able to get to the bottom of things.  I know the Flynn redesign was not fully implemented, but the work needs to be done yet.

Tom Paul has studied the Atlantic City materials extensively and along with Mr. Fraser we will put together an accurate architectural history of this significant course.  Luckily, as with TCC-Brookline, Shinnecock Hills, and other courses Flynn left us with the pre-existing plans as well as his own so that we can compare them with aerial and ground photos to see what was implemented of the Flynn plans.  I am very much looking forward to our short trip east to visit ACCC.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2003, 09:49:57 AM »
Tom P and Rich,

I am not an old geezer, but I carry a 1-iron occasionally on windy days.

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2003, 10:17:23 AM »
"Tom P and Rich,
I am not an old geezer, but I carry a 1-iron occasionally on windy days."

ChrisC:

Then would you do me a favor and if you run across Rich Goodale on a windy day would you slap him upside the head with that 1-iron of yours with about the same force as a swing for a low hooking 1-iron shot? That may be the only way to clear the milk out of his head so he can at least begin to read Max Behr. Getting him to understand Behr though might take a jolt to his head with your 360cc titanium Taylor driver with a swing sort of like hitting the ball into a 30 MPH headwind.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2003, 10:22:32 AM »
Wayne:

C&W is not 100% accurate in giving credit to who designed or re-designed a course.

According to C&W Charles River was designed by Donald Ross and re-designed in the 40's by the then Superintendent.  When contacted by Paul Murphy C&W could only indicate they were told this but had no documentation to substantiate this supposed re-design.

Paul was actually able to contact the individual and received a letter indicating no re-design work was ever done. What was done was a re-grassing of certain greens but no design changes had been made to the course or the greens.

The course remains pure Donald Ross.  The restoration work done with Ron Pritchard focused primarily on bunker restoration and re-claiming certain bunkers that were plowed under by the membership at various times primarily in the 30's and 50's. No design changes were made.

Best,
Dave

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back