News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Is the King's at Gleneagles the best inland course in Scotland?
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2024, 05:40:20 AM »
Thanks for the pix Bret. It’s remarkable how similar the course today matches these photos.

Ciao

Sean

When did you last play there ? Was after the recent overhaul ? If so I guess the point of the overhaul was to get it back to what it was and therefore they'd be quite pleased with your comment.

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2024, 06:50:40 AM »
Thanks for the pix Bret. It’s remarkable how similar the course today matches these photos.

Ciao

Sean

When did you last play there ? Was after the recent overhaul ? If so I guess the point of the overhaul was to get it back to what it was and therefore they'd be quite pleased with your comment.

Niall

I played Kings in 2016. Much of the restoration work was finished. Although, there was talk of pushing some greens back out to original size. I don’t know if that work was ever done.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

jeffwarne

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2024, 11:18:54 AM »

Ciao

Sean

Niall

I played Kings in 2016. Much of the restoration work was finished. Although, there was talk of pushing some greens back out to original size. I don’t know if that work was ever done.

Ciao

Prior to the 2022 Senior Open, there were 5-6 super back tees put in, which were mainly on the forced carry holes.
They were huge separaters of those able to carry it 270 or more, leading to a narrow 220 layup with a long blind second over a towering dune/vertical bunker complex vs.300 plus with downslope rollout to a far wider area and a flip wedge second.
Lengthening is not all bad, but the holes they chose it wasn't just like moving back 20-50yards (2-4 clubs) y-it changed everything, making the layup AND the second really hard.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2024, 06:49:56 PM »

Ciao

Is it really that long since they finished the restoration ?! Time certainly flies.

Niall

Simon Barrington

Re: Is the King's at Gleneagles the best inland course in Scotland? New
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2024, 10:15:58 AM »
Blairgowrie Rosemount, Lanark, The "Boat", Ladybank, Edzell, East Ren, Downfield, and Forfar spring to mind from Braid's canon alone
Simon
I tend to think you're being a bit heavy handed in dishing out the credit to Braid with that list. East Ren is possibly the only original design on there and I don't think he did anything at Ladybank but FBD no doubt will advise. The others mentioned are redesigns at most or mainly a bunkering scheme in the case of Forfar. That's not to say he didn't do good work at those courses, but what's there isn't all his work which is what I think you infer.
Niall

(Note - I edited out my in haste error Ladybank (OTM) & replacing with my intended Braid example Scotscraig.)

So what was Braid's involvement on the courses mentioned in my list:

Blairgowrie Rosemount -
Dr. Mackenzie's layout, was itself a "redesign" and extension of OTM's 9 Hole Course to 18, planned in 1924 but not finished until 1927.
Only shortly after, in 1930 Braid was asked to utilise new land (including some from the Rosemount Estate, hence the new name) secured by the club as the layout was somewhat constrained.
Braid extensively re-routed the course adding 8 new Holes and one new green, then making alterations to all the others (respectfully and economically retaining nine of the existing OTM/Mackenzie Greens).
So it could be said 8 Braid, 8 Mackenzie and 2 OTM holes exist under the surface; but all 18 have James Braid's work upon them.
The Dundee Telegraph declaring in 1934
"..that all the course is practically new"

Lanark -
Braid was brought in to design 2 new holes (13th & 14th) on this OTM course in 1925, and as was often the case the brief widened.
He combined two other holes (10th & 11th) into a new 11th, and added another third brand new 10th hole.
Many other tees, bunkers and greens across the course were altered by Braid and his then construction partner J.R. Stutt of Paisley.

The "Boat" - Boat of Garten Golf & Tennis Club -
In 1930 Braid extended the 9-hole course to 18.
He made two plans, one on land that was eventually not available, and another that was.
The “Aberdeen Journal” said on re-opening in 1932
…it was laid out anew by James Braid, and its sweeping, narrow fairways, dotted by numerous bunkers, bear the typical Braid stamp.”
One of his suggestions for a new green (13th) was only implemented in the late 1980’s (30+ years after Braid’s passing)

Scotscraig -
Founded in 1817 on a 6-hole course, then resuscitated in 1887 the Cub played on a 9-hole course.
This was extended in 1905 to 18 holes.
This extension is variously attributed to both Braid and Hamilton of St. Andrews who was to build it.
It seems it was more the latter, as it was at the beginning of James Braid’s design work, before he kept ledgers of commissions etc., and he had only just taken the Professional’s job on at Walton Heath GC, but he may have had some input with Hamilton as he won The Open at nearby St. Andrews in 1905.
Then in 1923 Braid was paid 5 Guineas and 4 guineas expenses for a redesign.
The Dundee Evening Telegraph reported in Feb 1923
“If the suggestions of James Braid materialise- and I for one cherish the hope that the scheme drafted by the Walton Heath professor will be fairly and squarely considered by the Council, then I have no hesitation in saying that the linksmen of the southern fringe of the Tay will sigh no more for the hazard that punctuates the course at Monifieth and the bunkers, hidden and open, that are strewn on Carnoustie Old Course. There is ample ground for expansion, and extension on an elaborate scale must be undertaken…”
(Note - This was 3 years prior to James Braid’s famous redesign of Carnoustie)
The Dundee Courier reported in Sept 1927
"With the expert assistance of James Braid the course, which is of a fine undulating nature, underwent numerous alterations, and natural advantages were skilfully worked in to the layout.”
The club embarked upon a scheme to restore the James Braid design in 2016.

Edzell -
Originally a Bob Simpson design from 1895.
In 1924 it was said Braid was approached by the Club when he was at nearby Kirriemuir.
Some alterations were made and although the Club credits these to be Braid that is not clear from his ledgers.
Braid was then formally commissioned in 1933 (while he was at St Andrews for The Open) to advise on extending the course and revising the bunkering. Some tees were also moved. He made significant recommendations to all 18 holes.
The Club held off the full changes on the last 3 holes (but much of Braid’s suggestions were still made to these including a new 17th Green) as they thought the changes were too bold.
The Dundee Evening Telegraph of March 1934 reported:
“Those who are familiar with Edzell course will be agreeably surprised at the amount of alterations carried out…”
It was at the time entirely open heathland, and in 1966 14.3 acres of trees (approx. 25,000 in all) were planted changing the aspect of the course, which apart from that remains largely as Braid left it.

East Renfrewshire -
As stated a Braid Original 18 from 1922, and like many of his favoured original designs he returned repeatedly.
This highlights the myth often thrown around of Braid using “18 stakes in a day” (originally this was OTM).
His initial visit was over 2-days and he returned at least another 4 times during construction.
Not “design & build” (as all used contractors, and in this case he used a local man Tom Dobson) but far more hands on than often perceived, and written about by Dr.Mackenzie & others of education and class while “professionalising” GCA.
He also returned two more times prior to 1927.
The course is largely as he left it.
There was a major tree-planting program in the 1970’s mainly conifers, such was the vogue.

Downfield -
The 1932 9-holes (by David Millar, following consultation w. Braid) was extended to 18 by Braid himself in 1933 when there were three new parcels of land available to him. There is a great photo of Braid with plans and the Committee on the site in Oct 1933.
The Dundee Courier reported
“The line of the present course will be slightly altered…does away with present 3rd Hole…the route is through the plantation to the ponds which are played across four times altogether.”
The Dundee Evening Telegraph reported
“In the third field he pointed out it was like Gleneagles.”
Contractor J.R. Stutt built the new 18, lengthening existing holes, bunkers added and improvements to greens.
Braid utilised many existing mature trees in his design as well as the previously mentioned ponds.
He also included some new tree planting in his plans.
The Dundee Courier reported…every teeing ground has been enlarged or duplicated (Note - Braid prescribed at least 3 teeing grounds on all holes in ”Advanced Golf” back in 1908). Rebunkering has also been carried out on the original nine holes.

In 1956 the council forced a landswap for housing and caused wholesale change. 15 new greens, 14 tees and 12 fairways were built.
CK Cotton was the architect of record.
So, sadly only 5 of the original Braid holes remain in some form (10, 11, 12, 15 & 16).
CK Cotton was respectful and deferent to Braid’s style on the site, as Braid himself was to OTM and others (even including Mackenzie) in his own redesign work.

and lastly,

Forfar -
A 1871 13-Hole OTM course, extended to 18 c.1899.
Braid was invited in 1925 to review the course and produce a report.
He proposed extensive changes to all 18 holes.
He eliminated some blind approaches and crossing of holes.
The Dundee Courier reported in Jan 1926…it is felt the Forfar course will be one of the best inland course in Scotland…the scheme includes the changing of 6 greens…lengthening of holes and introduction of new bunkering.”
The Club started the alterations cautiously over the winter of 1926/27 on only 4 holes including new greens on the 3rd, 12th, 16th and 17th “made after the Gleneagles style”.
There was a “do nothing” grouping that had delayed/limited the project.
The initial changes evidently persuaded the naysayers and over the next winter 1927/28 even more extensive work continued.
The Dundee Courier in April 1928 reported “The James Braid improvement scheme which has been completed, has undoubtedly lifted the course to the forefront of inland courses…the new greens laid out by Braid- five in number - are large undulating green well guarded by bunkers. Work is also progressing at several of the old holes, where new bunkers are being built.”

So Braid completed considerably more than merely a “bunkering scheme” at Forfar, and considerably more than some perhaps thought at all the others.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 02:41:49 AM by Simon Barrington »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back