News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Mahaffey

Alfred T. Stanger Memorial Scholarship - 2019 New
« on: March 30, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »
I wrote the post below last year, and my thoughts remain the same. We hope to receive many applications and look forward to awarding some scholarship resources to deserving students looking to make a career in golf, and hopefully spread a little of the infectious optimism Al Stanger shared with us.
Link to the Alfred T. Stanger Memorial Scholarship. http://www.mnuzzo.com/ATS/ATS-Scholarship-announcement-2019.pdf

I met Al Stanger in 2005 when he told me he wanted a personal 18-hole golf course. He could always read me and when he saw the look on my face he said, “I do what I say I’m going to do”, and he did. The story of Wolf Point Club has been told many times here so I’ll just say this. Al was the most optimistic, encouraging, and inspiring person I’ve ever worked with. He figured if others were doing it, we could too, only we’d do it even better.

In 2010, after we finished most of the construction on his golf course, we formed Greenscape Methods, a golf company. When it was successful, he shared a greater share of the profits with me than our partnership agreement called for. When his accountants asked him why, he said I deserved it. That’s the type of man he was, and he was an even better friend.

We formed the Greenscape Methods Charitable Foundation to fund the Alfred T. Stanger Memorial Scholarship fund. Al died in 2016 and we hope to pass along some of Al’s encouragement to young people pursuing a career in golf.  But the real reason I wanted to create this annual scholarship gift is so I can talk about my friend every year.

Please share the link with any organization or website where golfers visit. 

If you have any questions, please refer to the link and the application. If you still need help after that, you can reach me at Donmahaff@gmail.com

Donations to the Greenscape Methods Charitable Foundation can be mailed to:
1406 CR 303
Edna, TX 77957
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:29:41 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Jeff Schley

Re: Alfred T. Stanger Memorial Scholarship - 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 02:02:30 PM »
Don how do we donate?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »
Jeff, thanks for the question,
We certainly welcome any contributions and I can give the details via email - just use the address in the post. Thanks

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 02:08:13 PM »

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 10:41:28 AM »
Great to hear that this is happening again this year (and hopefully into the future).

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 03:37:45 PM »
Great to hear that this is happening again this year (and hopefully into the future).

As long as the company Al and I started is successful enough to fund this scholarship at some level, it'll live on.

I keep saying I'm going to do some fundraising and try to grow the amount of scholarship $$$ we can award, but Tom has me pretty busy for the next few months. Maybe next year we'll host a golf tournament, dinner or auction of some sort. But the foundation and  scholarship are woven into our company's culture and always will be as long as I have anything to do with it.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 03:53:45 PM »
You are a good man, Don Mahaffey.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »
First of thanks to Don and Mr. Stanger for offering such an honor and scholarship.
I have always been a big fan of Don's work, as well as his no nonsense posting style, and couldn't have been more proud when my son Sam was chosen as one of his inaugural winners, in a field of clearly distinguished candidates.

As a further thank you, I am donating a  foursome at The Bridge to be redeemed under regular member sponsored unacompanied charity Gift Certificate rules.
Play on Mon, Wed, or a Thursday April 19th-June 15th, or September post Labor Day-Oct 31.
(The right bid might entice me to relax those as space permits)

Please send bid via email to jeffwarne85@gmail.com

All bids must be submitted to me via email and I will instruct you how to send payment to Don and the Scholarship Committee.
We will stop the bidding May 15th 2019 to allow summer plans to evolve, but an outstanding generous bid will be accepted immediately. I will not be posting up to date bids, so please bid generously and I have a minimum retail value bid in mind-so please bid in the spirit this is intended, not as a chance to pay cheap golf. I will reply with a status to all emails.

Who knows, you might even get a former winner as your caddie....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:18:53 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Joe Hancock

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 01:54:46 PM »
The heart of golf is beating strong......Thanks to all of you who are coming alongside Don to make this work, maybe even better than imagined. And, to Don of course....
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back