News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

As a follow up to Ran's Annual Post, I am pleased to announce the 9th (!) annual Midwest Mashie.

This year the event will be visiting Northland Country Club, in Bob Dylan's birthplace of Duluth, Minnesota. Northland CC is a dramatic Donald Ross design located in a dramatic setting overlooking Lake Superior. With no further delay, here are the details:

Where:
Northland Country Club
3901 East Superior Street
Duluth, Minnesota 55804

Dates:
August 4th and August 5th, 2018

Schedule:
Consistent with past Midwest Mashies, we will be playing an "East vs. West" tournament for the rights to the Mashie itself. Team matches will commence on Saturday afternoon at noon on the 4th, followed by cocktails and dinner in the Northland CC clubhouse. That evening we will be joined by both Ron Prichard and Tyler Rae who will lead a presentation on their ongoing work at Northland. We'll end the weekend with singles matches the morning of the 5th, with tee times beginning at approximately 9:30am.

Costs:
Green Fees: $125 per round
Additional/Replay Rate: $50-offered to those interested in rounds either Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon
Additional Friday afternoon (after 1pm) golf can be arraigned after July 1st by calling Northland's Head Pro John Kuenzli directly at 218-525-1970
Cart Fee: $20/round
Food & Beverage - Everyone will be charged $85 which will cover dinner, a few drink tickets, and a breakfast buffet before golf on Sunday.

Handling expenses:
Expenses will be handled directly with the club at check in on the 4th. We will request everyone pay upfront upon arrival for planned golf, dinner, and any additional (cart) fees.

Getting there:
Duluth is located an easy two hours of driving north from the Twin Cities, which has an international airport. In addition, Duluth also has an international airport and flights can be arranged directly there, often with a layover in MSP or Chicago.

Lodging:
Northland does not have any lodging on site. But with Duluth being a considerable, but compact, city lodging options close to the club are numerous. Given that we are visiting during high season, I would recommend reserving a hotel room as soon as possible.

Please RSVP with your name, hometown, preference to walk or ride, and preference for any additional rounds (Saturday AM and/or Sunday PM), I included below those who RSVP'd on Ran's thread, but going forward please RSVP on this thread

Participant List
1. Ran Morrissett - North Carolina
2. Pat Craig - Minnesota
3. Vaughn Halyard (Victorious 2017 Captain) - Iowa
4. Shane Wright - Minnesota
5. Dan Kelly - Minnesota
6. Criss Titschinger - Ohio
7. Ted Sturges - Indiana
8. Tyler Kearns - Canada
9. Frank Sekulic - California
10. Derek Holland - Minnesota
11. Jeff Shelman - Minnesota
12. Brandon Urban - Minnesota
13. Jason Thompson - Ohio
14. Pete Pittock - Oregon
15. Frank Kim - Alabama
16. Chris Tritabaugh - Minnesota
17. John Crowley - Minnesota
18. Joe Lynch - Minnesota
19. Bill Morrissett - North Carolina
20. Morgan Clawson - Minnesota
21. Tom Atchison - Minnesota
22. Bill Steele - Ohio
23. Dave Herrick - Colorado
24. Jake Marvin - Minnesota
25. Matt Bosela - Canada
26. Steve Kline - Ohio
27. Jay Mickle - North Carolina
28. Lou Duran - Texas
29. Ross Harmon - Colorado
30. Jason Thurman - Ohio
31. Scott Skorupa - Minnesota
32. Joe Andriole - North Carolina

Non-golfing attendees:
1) Tyler Rae
2) Ron Prichard
3) RJ Daley
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:50:41 PM by PCCraig »
H.P.S.

Brandon Urban

As a relatively new Minnesotan, I wouldn't miss this. Count me in.

Eden Prairie, MN. Walking.
May be interested in a Sunday afternoon round.

Thanks for organizing!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:20:48 AM by Brandon Urban »
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Cort Sylvester

Count me in, please.  Rosemount, MN; walk; interested in Saturday morning and maybe Sunday afternoon, and probably that Friday too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:11:08 AM by Cort Sylvester »

Andy Ryall

Please count me in. Walking and open to additional golf Friday.  Thanks for organizing.

Andy

Shane Wright

Count me in. My favorite golf experience in MN. Thanks for organizing!

Jeff Shelman

I’m in for Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. And I will walk.

This will be great.

Frank Kim

Count me in.  Great venue in a great golfing state.  From Anniston, Alabama.  Walking both days. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:41:15 AM by Frank Kim »

Dan Moore

I'm in. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Peter Korbakes

Peter Korbakes, Chicago, walking, Sat PM/Sun AM

John Crowley

I am in and will walk.

Joe Lynch

Pat,

Thanks again for taking the time to organize what will be an incredible event. 
Joe Lynch
Edina, MN
Walk

Definitely in for Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning.  Very interested in Saturday morning and perhaps somewhere Friday afternoon as well.   

Criss Titschinger

Thanks again for setting this up!

I'm in for the main event, plus Sat morning. Walking

Will want to play Friday (not in Duluth). On the fence if I go up to Giants Ridge or stick around MSP.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:32:10 PM by Criss Titschinger »

Joe Melchiors

I'm in for the Mashie! - I will play Sat morning as well

All walking

Thanks,
Joe

Morgan Clawson

Pat -
I'm in for the official rounds walking.

Jason Topp

IN - Please include Jon Bishop who is not on the board but is a part of the Minnesota GCA group

Jake Marvin

I'm still relatively new here but I'd be excited to meet many of y'all up in Duluth - count me in.

Jake Marvin, Eden Prairie, MN, walking.
I should be able to play at least one of the extra rounds, we'll say Saturday morning if an answer's needed now.

Just saying, but this is as close as most will get to the Quarry at Giants Ridge, which is certainly worth a play. So if you have extra time, head up to Biwabik, just over an hour north of Duluth. The Wilderness at Fortune Bay is a half hour farther, but that's another worthwhile course, and honestly, if you've made it to Duluth, what's a little more driving going to do to you? Otherwise, the Iron Range and North Shore is a very unique area (as is Duluth itself) with unbelievable natural beauty all over the place. Gooseberry Falls is Minnesota's best state park and that's only the start. If you have time to see the area, it's worthwhile. Luckily, golf is a great way to see any area, as far as I'm concerned.

Rick Shefchik

Pat, please sign me up if there's still space available.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jason Topp

I am already out.  That was quick!  Please continue to include Bishop.

Normally I would offer to host people at Windsong pre or post event but the course usually aggressively aerates the entire course that week.  It would be more like plinko than golf.     

Billsteele

Pat-What a fantastic opportunity! Thanks to you and all involved for putting this together. Please count me in from the Buckeye State. Thanks again.

mike_malone

Philly guys banned in Mn.?
AKA Mayday

PCCraig

Philly guys banned in Mn.?

If the event was this week...yes. ;)

This summer...no!
H.P.S.

PCCraig

Everyone:

I just noticed some folks posted about "Friday" rounds. To date, I have only cleared the possibility of additional rounds on either Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon, not Friday. I can still follow up and ask if they would be willing to host those in town the day prior, but as of right now that is not confirmed.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

We just received word that Tyler Rae and Ron Prichard, who are consulting with Northland CC on their ongoing restoration project, will be joining us at the Mashie. They plan to talk to us as part of our dinner program about Northland, its history, golf course, and their plans for the course.

H.P.S.

Lou_Duran

I would like to participate.  Though removed by some 40 years from the Buckeye state, I still self-identify on occasion.

Dan Kelly

Everyone:

I just noticed some folks posted about "Friday" rounds. To date, I have only cleared the possibility of additional rounds on either Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon, not Friday. I can still follow up and ask if they would be willing to host those in town the day prior, but as of right now that is not confirmed.

All --

I would be more than willing to host any of you Friday at Midland Hills CC in the Twin Cities (mostly Seth Raynor, mostly 1919). It *might* be only the 18th best course in Minnesota (emojis and emoticons eschewed), but I don't believe any of you would be disappointed in it.

We should also consider extending the Mashie for a couple of days, to explore the Brauer Trail north of Duluth (Giants Ridge Quarry, Giants Ridge Legend, Wilderness at Fortune Bay, the brand-newly reworked Superior National). Could play two of them Monday, stay at one or the other place, play one or both of the others Tuesday.

The life of the "retiree"! Eat your heart out, Shane Wright. (I eat mine out thinking how much younger you are!)

Jeff Brauer -- Any chance you'd be in the North Country then?

Pat -- I will be walking at Northland. Can't say yet whether I"ll be up for additional rounds -- though Sunday afternoon seems more likely.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:56:11 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back