News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Perfect PINEHURST #2 New
« on: September 23, 2017, 08:08:54 PM »
Living up to the moniker The Home of American Golf is a tough proposition yet Pinehurst pulls it off with panache.  In more ways than one Pinehurst stands with St Andrews as one of the most prominent of golf locations.  Not only does each share a common element of showcasing one of the best courses on the planet, but the destinations feature multiple courses which are open to the public. Additionally, each town had a champion which was beyond compare.  Old Tom is to St Andrews what Donald Ross is to Pinehurst. However, each town has a common interest in Donald Ross, arguably the greatest architect to ever practice.  As a young man and with the guidance of the great John Sutherland of Dornoch, Ross apprenticed under Old Tom Morris.  While Old Tom would surely have imparted the necessary skills of a golf professional, it is the demeanour of a gentlemanly code of conduct to which Ross was exposed that would have stood him in good stead for many a year.  In 1893 after additional experience at Carnoustie, but still a young man, Ross returned to his birthplace of Dornoch to take up the prestigious position as Dornoch’s Head Professional.   Of course, being a head professional prior to the turn of the century meant he was expected to be well versed in greenkeeping, giving lessons, playing ability, clubmaking and course design.   Apparently Ross was adept at all facets of the position because he remained in post until his voluntary departure to the Unites States in 1899.

Ross in 1905.

Harvard Professor Robert Willson visited Dornoch in the summer of 1898.  It was then that he persuaded Ross to consider relocating to Boston and take up the position of Oakley’s Professional.  With the support of John Sutherland, Ross made the move in 1899 and immediately began a redesign of Oakley which continued until 1910.  When the course closed for that winter Ross set up an indoor teaching facility in Boston.  By happenstance, one of his students was a lawyer for James Tufts who had five years earlier founded the Fredrick Law Olmsted designed Village of Pinehurst in Moore County North Carolina.  After meeting Tufts, Ross was then persuaded to take a position as the winter professional at Pinehurst.  It was a lucky outcome for golfers past and present when Harry Vardon, for reasons unknown, declined the position as Pinehurst’s professional! 

Much of the early efforts of Ross at Pinehurst no longer exist due to considerable revisions over the decades.  For instance, #2 wasn’t “finished” until the sand greens were replaced with grass in time for the 1936 PGA Championship.  Despite his great success at Oakley, it was the 1909 promotion to Head Professional at Essex CC in Massachusetts which set the design career of Ross off and running.  The job of Head Professional, which lasted four years, focused mainly on the redesign of the course and afforded Ross opportunities to visit other courses to sell his services.  That in no way meant Ross didn’t devote much time to the course.  As was the case at Pinehurst #2, Ross lived on the course (15th hole at Essex and 3rd at #2) and made continual improvements. Indeed, Ross didn’t complete the Essex redesign until 1917 and it remains one of his most distinctive courses.   

The experience Ross gained while playing The Old Course as a young man wasn’t lost on the man as an architect.  Two fundamental elements ring true at #2.  First, the prominence of short grass around greens making play within 50 yards of the hole, often over bumpy terrain, a key to scoring well.  Second, offering calculated risks from the tee while still providing gateways for rabbits in the guise of wide fairways. Ingenuity, inspiration and imagination are the hallmarks of #2, just as it is so with TOC. It is remarkable then that it should be the newcomer that has taken the pole position in regards honouring these elements.  Perhaps the powers that be in St Andrews should consider engaging Coore & Crenshaw to breathe life back into the 16th and 17th.  The narrowing of fairways on two of the most famous holes at the Home of Golf is surely one of the biggest architectural miscues of the 20th century. 

For anyone who played the pre-Coore & Crenshaw renovated #2, the 1st will come as a shock.  It is immediately apparent that the relationship between the previous wall to wall bermuda mess and the sandy waste areas of today is negligible.

The turtleback greens haven't been changed!
[url=https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4430/36795166470_297a358be3_b.jpg]

The interest off the tee is readily apparent where previously Pinehurst #2 was visually and strategically far less engaging.

A few photos of the 2nd from 1936 North-South Open. Behind the green. 

Putting at 1936 North-South Open as seen from back of green.

The removal of 35 acres of grass made it feasible to create two heights of grass on the course; the green height and everything else.  But that is not all that makes the front nine one of golf's great unsung masterpieces....holes 3-5 are as good as Sunningdale New's 4-6 run. Anyone acquainted with me will know how much I revere that stretch of golf.  #3.

More to follow.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 04:09:24 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Peter Pallotta

Re: Perfect PINEHURST #2 - 1-3
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 08:41:59 PM »
Sean - let me be the first to say: you have become a master of the course tour form/idiom. I've probably read more about #2 than any other great old classic save for St Andrews, and I saw it (post restoration) being played during the recent Open there  - and yet you still have me on the edge of my seat, eager to read more. Well done, sir. If you don't mind a tiny suggestion -- offered in the hope that one day you'll compile your favourite tours into a book. Please take a look at Joe B's collection of course profiles, where he includes the card, then pictures (from the card) of each golf hole, and then his own photos of the holes. Combined with your concise but inforned and informative introductions, what a complete overview of these great courses you would provide!
Thanks, again. 3 holes in and you already have me rethinking my promise to myself never to spend $400 on anything related to golf!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:45:11 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Sean_A

Re: Perfect PINEHURST #2 - 1-3 New
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
Pietro

Thanks. In the case of #2 the card is unbelievably scarey.  I cannot believe the 5800 tees are rated 4 shots under par...which means a 10 capper has to break 80 to play to his handicap.  That is a tall order if one can't carry drives 250ish with regularity because I will tell it is as challenging a tee ball course as one will find where its very difficult to lose a ball.  I think tee shots are actually easier from the set back.  In truth, the 5800 yard tees for my length of drive remind me a load of Ganton, but #2 out Ganton's Ganton because it offers decent recoveries for missed fairways.

I am not interested in a complete documentation of a course as much as I am in offering a flavour.  If I was a better writer there would be fewer pix.

PINEHURST #2 CONT

The 3-6 corner of the course continues marching toward US 501 (known locally as 15-501) in an area of the property that once housed the 9 hole Employees' Course.  The Depression paid rest to the course, but the bookend holes were incorporated by Ross just prior to #2 hosting the 1936 PGA.  Some 365 yards was added to the course prior to the 2014 Open.  I suspect when the 6th was lengthened 20 yards there wasn't enough space to properly lengthen the 4th.  With plenty of space behind the 5th tee it was possible to lengthen that hole 100 yards (!!!!) to recapture its playing characteristics, thus properly testing the best players who routinely carry their drives 300+ yards.  Thus we have the switch of the pars for these respective holes.   

The 4th is the first hole with a serious change in elevation as the fairway is 30-40 feet below the tee.
[url=https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4369/36378889603_84c6d09e17_b.jpg]

With waste areas crowding the fairway, going for the green in two is a dicey proposition.  The lay-up decision is also none too easy.
[url=https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4397/36795157000_e812cd9f4f_b.jpg]

During the 1936 North-South Open tree planting is clearly visible behind the green.

It is a rare treat to play a flawless hole and in the case of the 5th we get just that.  The hole was always great, but Coore & Crenshaw's renovation highlights the cape aspect of the design in a very elegant manner. The terrors of the hole are plainly obvious upon exiting the 3rd green.

Sometimes a whiffed second can leave one in an ideal recovery spot from the waste. Regardless, it is imperative not to miss on the left.

The nature of Pinehurt's greens are evident on approach and recovery shots.  The greens are on average approximately 6400 square feet.  Most have sharp fall-offs effectively reducing the puttable size by a significant percentage.  In this case, the green has an effective putting surface of under 3000 square feet if the greens are not terribly keen. Below is a recovery shot behind the green...near the 4th tee.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 03:25:02 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

Re: Perfect PINEHURST #2 - 1-5 New
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 04:06:53 AM »
PINEHURST #2 CONT

The first one-shot hole follows at #6.  As with the third, this hole didn't become part of #2 until the early to mid 1920's.  The severe green is set slightly askew from the tee with a swale flowing from the left bunker just shy of the putting surface.  A look at the hole from the 1940s.

We drive into the unknown on the 7th.  The blind landing zone combined with the fairway turning fairly abruptly right makes for a tough shot.  It is on holes such as this where the C&C envisioned extra 10-15 yards of fairway width would have been a god send for the handicap golfer. 

There isn't a "good" side for a recovery shot, bunkers and a front swale keep all parties honest.

Not a terribly long par 5, but the slope of the fairway hard left away from heaps of sandy trouble on the right make the 8th a testing hole...and that is before reaching the green. This hole is one of two three-shotters which is a par 4 for championship play.  At 500 yards with the harsh green, one gets a better sense of what clubs face in trying to challenge tour calibre players.

It is fair to say the green is a double decker turtleback. It is very easy to criss cross this green a few times!

It is fitting this formidable yet breathtaking nine holes should end with a tremendous short hole.  Despite the obvious beauty, the defining feature of the hole is a spine (marked by a rear knob) cutting the green roughly in half.  The lower right tier is easier to access because of this feature, but putts break more than on the higher, more difficult to approach left tier. The flashed left bunker deserves a mention as it was one of the last pieces of work completed during the renovation.  K Franz spent days trying to accurately reflect what was in the ground during the 1930s.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 03:27:20 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

Re: Perfect PINEHURST #2 - 1-9
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 01:08:52 PM »
Splendid.

The eye might initially be drawn to the sandy, 'scruffy' areas but then the 'upturned saucers' appear and Martin Kaymers use of the putter around the greens becomes more appreciateable.
:)
Atb

Carl Rogers

Re: Perfect PINEHURST #2 - 1-9
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 08:52:21 PM »
My one round 3 Decembers ago on a warm day playing off the Whites was quite a lesson in how hard a course can be on approach shots from the 130 to 160 range can be.  If I knew where to actually hit my shots ahead of time I would have deliberately aimed away from the several of the greens.

Advice.... on hole 8, do not miss right, left or long.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Sean_A

Re: Perfect PINEHURST #2 - 1-9 New
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 06:22:29 AM »
PINEHURST #2 CONT

With one of the best nines in golf in the rear view mirror we now head for the 10th tee.  There aren't any holes the calibre of 3, 5 or 9 on the back nine, but there is plenty of good golf.  The 10th is one such workman like hole.  The hole turns left enough to make the position of the drive matter.  Play coming from the left side of the fairway will find a poor angle to the green and some tree trouble. 

If one can lay-up in this tight area the reward is one of the easist approaches on the course. Looking back to the tee.

Continuing play along flat terrain, the 11th is a lucid design which obscures its diffculty.  Turning right, away from the adjacent #4 Course, the 11th is one of my favourite holes, but it is a tough one! 

The 12th is not fully realized until walking off the green.  The golfer is lured right to shave yardage off the dogleg, but the prime position is left....well left.  A most innocent looking green will see play criss crossing it many times a day; don't ask how I know!

Many of the greens have an immediate rise to the fronts which makes judging approach shots that much more difficult.

There isn't much elevation change at Pinehurst so the 13th is welcome.  Playing up to the ridge results in a green with a false front.  The tee shot is slightly awkward as it looks like it simply zig-zags to the right.  Despite oodles of short grass left,  the fairway essentially narrows to the point where a well struck drive down the middle can finish in the sandy waste.  Playing up to the ridge over a bunker with a false fronted green is a shot one wants to avoid!

Playing back down the hill, the 14th is a good example of why there are more options from the tee than it may seem.  Keeping left offers a full view while staying right requires an approach over a bunker well short of the green.   The choice should be dependant on where the hole is located on the day. 

The greens are often described as domed, but the greens are often actually tiered in a mounding fashion which conceals their difficulties. 

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:45:34 PM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: Perfect PINEHURST #2 - 1-14 New
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 09:39:58 AM »
PINEHURST #2 CONT

With the exception of the ninth, few people mention the short holes at #2.  However, all require excellent shots to earn par.  While visually very different from Yeamans Hall, essentially many of the green complexes are similar in that ridges are formed between bunkers left and right.  Getting the right angle to afford the option of a kick in is paramount should the course be keen.  The 15th is an example of this style.

The 16th is a fine three-shotter and in truth a bit of a break in the card.  #2's only water hazard is a bit of an eyesore, however, at least Ross tried to make it rather a simple hazard to cope with. The waste area right is surprisingly tight off the tee, perhaps as a way to make the blind bunker further up on the left more meaningful. 

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:47:13 PM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: Perfect PINEHURST #2 - 1-16 New
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 04:10:18 AM »
PINEHURST #2 CONT

The 17th is for me the least engaging hole on the course, yet it does offer a hint of variety in the greens.  This is probably the most grade level green on the course and despite this its sly front to back slope makes it a knotty proposition.  As can be seen on the right, because of single row irrigation the edges of the fairway are beautifully blurred into the waste.

The 18th is a savage hole playing uphill and finishing cruelly, yet appropriately, under the gaze of all on the veranda who care to look.

Unsure of where the fairway ends on the left, many will be left with an approach similar to this. As seen previously, a ridge is formed between the bunkers which creates a false front, though in this case it isn't severe.

After my last play on #2 I must admit to being underwhelmed and bewildered at what was turning the heads of those in great admiration for the course.  What I saw was a design in disconnect which relied solely on greens for interest.  Being the highest course at the resort #2 drains very efficiently. This advantage ties well with the increased fairway width and elimination of bermuda rough, #2 is now a course which makes far more sense and consequently provides a much more enjoyable game of golf.  Great courses must necessarily have great holes and that is supplied with #s 3, 5 & 9.  However, just as important, #2 has a flow to the design and walk which is provocative, delightful and alluring.  While the greens are rightfully famous (or infamous if you ask John Daly), I can't help but wonder if a more varied set such as at Oakland Hills or Grosse Ile wouldn't make for a better course.  We shall of course never find out, but for many the question will always be in the background.  3*  2017

Ran's Review.
http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/pinehurst-no-2-2/

Before leaving Pinehurst, one should take the time to play Thistle Dhu. Like Himalayas in St Andrews, it is a load of fun attempting outrageous putts.  Unlike Himalayas, Thistle Dhu is free!  I will also say that I found myself looking at the nearly complete 9 hole par 3 course, The Cradle.  It will be the perfect compliment to the Thistle Dhu.

It is very easy to putt off the course  :-*

I leave you with one more image.  The enigmatic equipment of my playing partner.  Really, who buys a leather pencil bag, builds a wood stand for it and uses a yardage gun? Thanks to you and Eric for giving me the opportunity to see the error of my ways.

More Carolina Course Tours

Pine Needles
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65052.0.html

Raleigh CC
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61993.msg1473385.html#msg1473385

Roaring Gap
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61881.msg1469504.html#msg1469504

Mimosa Hills
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61874.msg1469315.html#msg1469315

Lonnie Poole
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61832.msg1468459.html#msg1468459

Mid Pines, Dormie Club, Wildwood Green & Old Town
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57154.0.html

Palmetto
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?action=post;msg=1513108;topic=63547.0

Hope Valley
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63496.0.html

Aiken GC
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63562.0.html

Yeamans Hall
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39421.0.html

Kiawah Ocean Course
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39442.0.html

Governor's Club
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39467.msg827366.html#msg827366

Bulls Bay
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43807.0.html

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 09:09:43 PM by Sean_A »

Matt MacIver

Re: Perfect PINEHURST #2
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 06:45:53 AM »
Thanks Sean, another wonderful tour.  I was waiting for your rating and wasn't expecting a top rating - is that all to the courses' merits, or does history play a part.  And BTW, it ain't that cheap....

Given the mythical 10 round split for the four PH courses you've reviewed, what's the split?  Think I'd go 4/3/2/1 for #2/MP/Dormie/PN. 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 09:03:51 AM »
Great tour, Sean; thanks.  A LOT of work went into this!

I played #2 a year ago, in a foursome of four single digit handicappers and with two excellent caddies.  I would estimate that we had a dozen or more shots among the four of us that hit a green more or less where we were aiming that ended up in a bunker or collection area; my caddy referred to this as "greens visited in regulation".

As is always the case when I play a great course that the pros play, I came away MUCH more impressed with their skill on approach shots than with the distance that they drive the golf ball.  On many (if not all?) of the #2 greens, the area that you have to hit to hold the green and have a makeable putt is the size of your dining room table.  Or smaller...     Add in the difference in the green speeds from daily play to tournament play and you get a feel for the difference between elite athletes that play a sport on TV for money and those of us that watch on TV in our PJ's.

BTW, #4 is now closed for a "restoration" by Gil Hanse back to what Ross did.  Besides converting the greens to Champion and taking out lots of turf as was done with #2, the main work will be taking most of the 140 bunkers that Fazio added 15 or so years ago.  Yes, you read that correctly; ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 09:08:51 AM »
More fine work by Sean.

If you wish to see some off-season pics of Pinehurst No. 2, here is an album from my visit in early March of 2015:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/PinehurstNo2/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »
Thanks all.

Matt

For sure the history cranks #2 from a 2* to a 3*. 

I like all four courses.  If forced to do a 4 way split:

4 x #2
3 x Pine Needles...gets the edge over MP because of the bar  8)
2 x Mid Pines
1 x Dormie Club...it is the most daring and varied of the four, but the walk really lets it down

But I am sure with more plays this would change.

Ciao

Jay Mickle

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »
BTW, #4 is now closed for a "restoration" by Gil Hanse back to what Ross did.  Besides converting the greens to Champion and taking out lots of turf as was done with #2, the main work will be taking most of the 140 bunkers that Fazio added 15 or so years ago.  Yes, you read that correctly; ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY.

Gil has be free rein of the course #4 land to create his own course. No renovation. No restoration. I look forward to his new creation.

@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back