News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Blessed BARTON HILLS CC New
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:14:10 AM »
Established by the Detroit Edison Company in 1913, the Barton Hills area of 2000 acres straddling both sides of the Huron River was originally a site for electric power production.  The company quickly promoted Barton Hills as an exclusive Ann Arbor residential area and engaged Olmsted Engineering to design a community of graceful homes.  It is the Olmsted philosophy of creating harmony between nature and man-made features which to this day distinguishes the village. In short order Detroit Edison commissioned the Donald Ross designed Barton Hills CC on the highest area above the newly created Barton Pond.  The original site for the clubhouse was selected as the best site in the village with wonderful views of Huron River.  Eventually, trees overcrowded the site and the views disappeared.  In fact, most homes had a water view before the influx of trees.  Even the addition of a country club was not enough to overcome sluggish sales further distressed by the Depression.  Much like the electric railroad in evidence around many Detroit area train tracks, the power scheme nor residential development never fully materialized into a money making venture.  In the 1940s Detroit Edison washed its hands of its holdings by offering to the residents of Barton Hills the unsold lots and rights to collect taxes on sold properties. As the community became more efficient at self management it would eventually become a municipality in the early 1970s.   

The village of 350ish residents is located just north of Ann Arbor, yet seemingly lost in decades of seclusion.  Few Ann Arborites could give accurate directions to the village or the club buried amongst tree covered hills and curved roads, both of which are by Olmsted Engineering design.  The course is evenly split with returning nines, but the considerably better back nine covers the much more dramatic terrain. Typical of Ross, the greens are full of intrigue and offer many spicy hole locations.  The more Ross courses I play the more I realize that his green designs cannot be pegged as a certain style.  Many think of Ross greens as well contoured and generally slanted back to front. Barton Hills features a set which mainly relies on slope with the occasional bit of contour to unsettle the golfer.  The course was restored by R Pritchard in 2014 and the club continues to carry out tree removal.  The back nine will close shortly for a major green resurfacing job...I saw heavy machinery in waiting on the back nine.

The course begins in stout fashion with a fairly difficult uphill two-shotter.  I will quickly address one of my biggest issues with the otherwise very good course...blind hazards.  I am not one to worry much about such devilish deception, but I think this card is over-played at Barton Hills.  The first hint of the hidden trouble is a bunker behind the first green. However, the worst offenders are blind ponds on 6 and 10.  I am astounded that the pond on #6 is original Ross design.  Anyway, off to the par 5 second...a very good hole which seems to take us into a prairie. 

The third turns sharply left around trees which are very well maintained for recovery shots.  The green features a curious half-pipe.  A short two-shotter, the 4th is tricky because of a sea of sand and a green which leans hard to the left.

The par 3 account is opened on the fifth and it's a beauty.  The green slopes far more to the left than photos suggest.

The offending pond on 6!

For mine, Barton Hills properly commences on the 7th.  From this point in, excepting the previously mentioned plethora of blind hazards, the course is full of surprise and delight.  Legging left around a cascade of bunkers, the approach for this 400ish yard hole is simple and satisfying. At this point I will mention the "native" rough.  In my experience, the maintenance of this type of rough is often a complete failure with thick, lush undergrowth allowed to compromise the concept.  Not so in the case of Barton Hills!  The rough is just about perfect...allowing for recovery shots in a manner which shames Scottish links clubs.  It is curious then why the cut lines are not pushed to the outside of bunkers...the investigation continues as to why this type of course presentation is favoured by such a large percentage of clubs.

Turning away from the house, the short 8th is a fun hole.  The grade level green is seemingly scalloped from the earth.

The par 5 ninth is a chance to get one back against the card. 

The photo doesn't reflect the difficulty of the raised middle part of the green.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 10:28:06 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Peter Flory

Re: Blessed BARTON HILLS CC: 1-9
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 12:20:44 AM »
Nice pics!  Looking forward to the rest.  I grew up in the area and the course has dramatically improved since the 90's.  I really thought Prichard did a nice job.  And I have heard that there has been some work (and tree clearing) since.

Sean_A

Re: Blessed BARTON HILLS CC: 1-9 New
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:13:51 AM »
Thanks Peter.

Barton Hills Cont.

The back nine opens with a barn stormer par 5 which has been somewhat compromised by a pond leading to the left section of the green.  I wouldn't mind the water so much if the trees on the left were cleared out.  Having a blind shot with blind water and moving around trees strikes me as a bit harsh for a drive which finishes in the fairway.  Otherwise, the hole works well.

After a quick bit of Dutch Courage at the conveniently placed halfway house we then tackle a terrific par 3 with an angled green and protective sand on the right.  I used a 3 wood and came up short from 216 yards.  I suspect the soft conditions had something to do with the 3 inches of rain the previous night.  However, considering the rain the course was in very good nick.

I have a lot of time for grade level greens, particularly when fairways bleed into greens, making depth perception a problem.

Detail of the green. Barton Hills has no shortage of these interesting green features.

The 12th is fairly straight forward, but no worse for this.

We encounter the first top shot bunker on 13.  I am unsure of the point of a bunker placed here, but it does serve to mask the left to right slope of the fairway.

The approach seems straight-forward, but the green should dispel any such notions.  There is somewhat of a false front which flows to the right side leaving the back left as the high portion of the green. 

The modest length 14th is a fly-trap hole.  There are a few greens which narrow to the rear or have arms shooting out for precarious hole locations, but the 14th is perhaps the best example. 

The large green makes it imperative to hit an approach somewhere reasonably close to the hole, but a back location makes this a fool's errand. The rear of the green.

The most rambunctious hole on the property, the 15th is a rollercoaster ride of epic proportions.  From the tee and sighting the hole previously, it is clear that only the very best golf will earn a par.  At around the 200 yard mark the fairway plunges downhill, but few players can reach the flat.  Ross often presents this dilema, stay on high ground for a flat lie and relatively even elevation approach or go for distance and risk the downhill lie to an uphill green.  The green design is no help as it is markedly back to front just when you wish it wasn't!  Despite my admiration for the hole I do question the right fairway bunker.  There is already a large tree to contend with....combined with the terrain it is all this hole requires.

Looking back to the tee.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:13:35 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tom Bacsanyi

Re: Blessed BARTON HILLS CC: 1-15
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 01:46:56 PM »
Thanks for this.  I saw this course from a plane out of DTW and was like "What course is THAT?!!!"  Had to look it up after I landed.  It just had a great look even from tens of thousands of feet up.  Not overly treed, sensible bunkers, fescue areas.  Awesome.  Cool to see it now from ground level.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Sean_A

Re: Blessed BARTON HILLS CC: 1-15 New
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 07:24:00 AM »
Tom

You are welcome.

Barton Hills Cont

The 16th could easily be seen as controversial.  For a long par 3 there is very little room for error that will leave a good opportunity for par.  Many thought to be good tee shots will finish on the front of the green leaving a rough uphill two putt.

The three-shot penultimate hole, as is the case a handful of times throughout the round, features blind bunkering short left of the green.  The drive plays into a fairway leaning right.  Given the bunkering near the green I wonder why there are trees inside the border down the right.

The dead straight last hole has bunkers hiding in the driving zone with more sand down the left.  The approach rises sneakily to the green which features a bit of a false front.   

It would seem the word on the street is that Barton Hills is a difficult test which isn't overly player friendly.  Despite my misgivings about the many blind hazards, I am not convinced this is a fair represention of Barton Hills.  The fairways are fairly wide, many greens are open in front and while many more trees could come out, they are not an overbearing issue.  I am quietly impressed with Barton Hills for three main reasons and suspect that once the plan is complete the course will be more impressive still.  First, Ross took great advantage of the varied topography giving all manner of length and shape holes.  Second, the greens are somewhat unusual for a Classic era design.  There is plenty of interesting if subtle movement and shape which can leave golfers thinking about their game while having a drink afterwards.  Third, the par 3s are an exceptional set.  All four holes are completely different and I was especially impressed by the tilted 5th and the semi punch bowl 8th.  However, the more demanding 11th and 16th add a bit of zip to the course.   Folks can quibble about where courses belong in the Ross pantheon, but one should make sure to find time for Barton Hills if afforded the opportunity.  1*  2017

M Saltzman 2013 Tour
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57076.msg1474761.html#msg1474761

Nearby UofM Course
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34505.0.html

My scale:

3* Don't miss for any reason                           
2* Plan a significant trip around this course                           
1* Worth an overnight detour                           
R Worth A Significant Day Trip (no more driving than it takes to play and have drinks)                           
r A good fall back on course/trip filler                           
NR Not recommended                           

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 03:20:46 PM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: Blessed BARTON HILLS CC New
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 07:31:17 PM »
Does anybody have news on the work carried out this past winter?

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:00:07 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back