News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

BIRMINGHAM CC New
« on: September 15, 2016, 05:01:56 AM »
1953 Birmingham CC aerial.

Few Detroiters realize that Birmingham Country Club hosted the 1953 PGA Championship won by Franklin Hills professional Walter Burkemo, a native of Detroit who learned the game as a youngster caddying across town at Lochmoor Country Club.  He might have won more tournaments, but as was the case for many sportsmen of the era, WWII intervened.  To make matters worse, Mr Burkemo was seriously injured twice in battle, earning him two Purple Hearts.  It took several years to fully recover from the injuries until a breakthrough came in 1951 when Mr Burkemo won the first of four Michigan Opens.  The last victory came in 1970 at the age of 51.   

Even fewer Detroiters know that Birmingham hosted the 1968 US Women’s Amateur, won by one of the greatest female golfers in history, Jo Ann Carner, the last of her five victories. With nothing else to conquer as an amateur, at the age of 30, Mrs Carner turned professional and would eventually earn a Hall of Fame career with 43 wins.  None of the 43 were more important than the two US Women’s Open titles in 1971 and 1976. Her final tour win came in 1985, but Mrs Carner remained competitive in her 60s and in 2004 made an LPGA tournament cut at the age of 65! 

Birmingham CC is a heavily modified 1921 Thomas Bendelow re-design which has recently undergone work by Bruce Hepner.  Fairways and greens have been re-laid with newer strains of bent grass, some fairway expansion, seventeen acres of native area have been created, a thousand or so trees removed, bunkers renovated and number increased from 60 to 80 and the 6th and 15th greens have been rebuilt.   This all sounds like the course would be a disaster zone for the summer...not so.  I realize this is the sort of thing good supers do for a living, but I will never get over how great a job guys like Dan Dingman can do.  Even when one is told the course was totally re-grassed and underwent serious architectural alterations during the winter, it is hard to believe.  There are very few indications of any such under-taking. 

Bruce Hepner's Birmingham CC Plan.

The results of the work are very, very good.  Major spots such as left on 10 fairway and behind the 8th green have been resolved.  However, I was not quite prepared for how much the interior views of the course have been exposed.  It is most evident on the first tee where much the front nine and some of the back nine is spread below us.   I was also taken aback the improvement to the fifth.  The tree clearance there has done nothing less than allow us to properly see the best hole on the course.  Having only played the course once prior to the work, I will have missed much of the improvement detail, but one woud have to be blind not to recognize how much the course has improved. 

A legging left par 5, the opener is a gentle handshake...

with an interesting green. That said, we come to my only real disappointment, the fairway lines.  I can only assume folks like fairways cutting to the inside line of bunkers rather than well around (much of the time) bunkers and greens.  The variety of shots the golfer has when this is the case is far greater, making for a more pleasurable experience.   

The second drifts right and comes back toward the house.  Not an onerous hole, but it is easy to mark a kiss on the card.

A medium length one shotter, the third features deep bunkering.   

Set at angle and generally flowing to the front, the 4th green makes for an interesting target.

The first bold statement of the design comes at the 5th.  Turning sharply right, it is quite easy to run out of room unless one adds a hint of fade to the drive.  The difference the tree clearing makes once turning the corner is remarkable.   

Unlike many of Birmingham's greens, the 5th is designed to take a running approach.  Clearing the trees will definitely help with keeping the turf drier to encourage the ground game.  As it happens, we had a front hole location on the day which highlights the benefits of tree clearance. Below is a good look at the new bunker and fairway feeding into the green.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:50:48 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jeff Bergeron

Re: BIRMINGHAM CC 1-5
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 01:17:24 PM »
The fifth went from my least favorite hole to one of favorites as a result of the renovation.

Sean_A

Re: BIRMINGHAM CC 1-5 New
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:56:35 AM »
Berg...for sure!

BIRMINGHAM TOUR CONT

The 6th reminds me of the Strantz concept of bending a par 5 allllllll the way around water.  Birmingham's version is better because it is a par 4.  Removal of trees and a rebuilt green has improved the hole. 

Many greens have raised shoulders near the mid-point, giving the slight impression of a double pinch. 

The 7th, there is nothing for it but to slam a shot all the way...but don't go above the hole. 

We cross the parking lot and past a hidden practice area for a par 5 which traverses a valley shy of the green.  There has been a major transformation on this hole, but the green is still cut of from the fairway by rough.  For front hole locations its nearly impossible for most players to get close, but trying to bounce a ball through 2 inch rough will not often be successful.

From the rear of the green we can see how the shape of the terrain around the green is hidden by a blanket of rough.

Coming back to the house, the side ends on a high note.  The ninth plays to a well protected fairway (the furthest left bunker is new) in a wide valley and then back up to a green about the same level as the tee.

A good drive will finish shy of the left bunkers, I think the elevation change adds at least 1.5 clubs to the approach.

While the front nine moves in all directions, the back nine does a steady clockwise march around the property perimeter.  #10 features a dangerous drive with water left off the tee and an excellent approach to a plateau green.  The entire left side of the hole has been cleared out to great effect.

Now then, the 11th, a vicious short hole.  The green is all but non-existent and slopes madly toward the tee.  If running at 10+, this hole must see a ton of three putts when the hole is up front...its impossible to stop the putt if one misses the hole. 

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:48:42 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ryan Coles

Re: BIRMINGHAM CC 1-11
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 12:03:58 PM »
Sean

This course in particular provides a striking contrast to the uk courses you normally profile, most notably in conditioning and presentation.

The new bunkering in particularly whilst being attractive is clearly very expensive.

Do they accept visitors and if so what is the greenfee?

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 01:12:36 PM »
A good drive will finish shy of the left bunkers, I think the elevation change adds at least 1.5 clubs to the approach.

#9 is a solid hole. The picture doesn't capture the dramatic elevation change. I prefer the angle in from the right side of the fairway. One of the more difficult par 4's in Metro Detroit. 
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

BCowan

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 08:06:24 PM »
On #6 Taylor blocks his drive and ends up by the shack on 7 tee, he ends up making par and I think he hit the GIR.  Options I didn't know existed off the tee  ;D

Sean_A

Re: BIRMINGHAM CC 1-11 New
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 04:48:33 AM »
Ryan

Sorry, no public access to Birmingham CC. I don't know what the guest green fee is. 

Yes, the grass lines at BCC are very different to most of the courses I play.  I have asked umpteen times why Midwest and east coast clubs cut lines on the inside of bunkers and tight around greens and the best answer that seems to come up is that is what is in fashion.  It seems a shame to spend money on shaping a green complex only to hide it. 

BIRMINGHAM CC TOUR CONT

#s 12 & 13 are two-shotters bending left covering flatter ground. Hard against the club entrance, the 14th starts out flat with a drive between bunkers, the second shot, however, is blind and downhill.  The world seems to suddenly open up once we reach the crest at the start of the descent.  As on the rest of the course, the bunkers were beefed up and trees removed.  The green runs sharply away from the fairway.  Few golfers will be able to fly the left bunker and avoid the slow roll to the back of the green.  However, if one wants a flat putt at pin high, there is space to bounce an approach to the right side of the green.

A new green, 15 is an interesting par 3 with the 5th and 16th in the background.

The green is far larger than it appears on the tee.

The excellent 16th has probably had the most radical overhaul in its playing characteristics with the addition of bunkers on the corner of the dogleg.  I am not sold on the cluster look and would probably have preferred one large bunker set into the slope and more trees right removed to entice golfers to play right.  Still, this is a very good hole and an improvement on what existed previously. 

As on the 9th, the approach is up a very steep incline.

One of my favourite holes, the width of the 17th green complex gives the impression of an eagle spreading its immense wings as tree removal has had a great impact on the aesthetics.The hole also has plenty of space to run a ball onto the green.

The par 5 home hole swings right then plays blindly downhill over a creek.  There is nothing earth-shattering architecturally, but the golfer is given a good opportunity to finish with a birdie. 

I enjoy BCC quite a bit and to be frank, am pleasantly surprised at the quality and variety of the greens and terrain.  For the most part, the newly completed work is very good and the course is better defined.  Mostly though, I like the tree clearance and think more trees should come out. Still, BCC is a fine course and I would encourage anybody heading to Detroit to give it a go.  2016

Orchard Lake CC
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61798.msg1469133.html#msg1469133

Franklin Hills
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53933.0.html

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:21:03 PM by Sean_A »

BCowan

Re: BIRMINGHAM CC
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 08:25:54 AM »
Sean,

Others have mentioned about lines before.  OLCC lines are intact to Alison beliefs via Foster interpretation.  As for Bendelow beliefs I don't know.  The other reason is making fairways bleed into bunkers makes course tougher for average golfer. They struggle with fairway bunkers.  This was mentioned in the OLCC thread.  Comprende? 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 08:35:27 AM »
From alboretum golf to parkland golf. Nice.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 08:57:36 AM »
Sean,

Others have mentioned about lines before.  OLCC lines are intact to Alison beliefs via Foster interpretation.  As for Bendelow beliefs I don't know.  The other reason is making fairways bleed into bunkers makes course tougher for average golfer. They struggle with fairway bunkers.  This was mentioned in the OLCC thread.  Comprende?

You lost me, I am asking why fairway lines would go to the inside of bunkers.  Most of the time bunkers are more in play when short grass surrounds bunkers.  I never have had a good response to this question.  Same for why rough crowds greens...I usually don't see the point of that, but there must be reasons because its an incredibly popular set up style in the Midwest and East. I see it for parkland courses in the UK as well.  In winter it really sucks because these areas become boggy as they don't even drain dew.  I can't understand it, but thats what is done.

I do recall pix of a parkland course in Pennsylvania which had its grass lines pushed out and I admit it did look odd, but very interesting. 

Ciao

BCowan

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 09:03:56 AM »
Sean,

If rough is in between the bunker and fairway it acts as a buffer, same as by the green, less balls end in bunker.  5 hr rounds would be more of the norm then.  I don't understand why you don't get that. Plus if ur doing reno or rest to archies beliefs you have to honor them. 

I'd prefer more courses in midwest to have lines outside of bunkers but I don't know the beliefs of all golden age archies. I'm more interested in renovating non golden age tracks done by local guy on great land, 3s and 4's and using new ideas or old ones seldom used. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:23:24 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Sean_A

Re: BIRMINGHAM CC New
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 11:12:18 AM »
I didn't realize BCC was a restoration...and if so...to which architect at which period? 

Grass lines is something I would like to learn more about, but that said, I would be astonished if classic era design heavily featured narrow grass lines.

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:02:39 AM by Sean_A »

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 12:25:29 PM »
Sean:

As always I enjoy your visits and posts immensely. This one was no exception. I would only add than when the native areas grow in the course should be even more visually striking.

Berge

Sean_A

Re: BIRMINGHAM CC New
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 07:22:58 AM »
Sean:

As always I enjoy your visits and posts immensely. This one was no exception. I would only add than when the native areas grow in the course should be even more visually striking.

Berge

Berg

Yes, the native areas should add another layer of texture which a ton of parkland courses need to offset the green. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:03:53 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back