News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JWinick

One Epic Ireland Trip!
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:24:07 PM »
     From June 30 to July 6, we embarked on an intense and epic Ireland golf trip, featuring the top six Golf Digest courses in Ireland and Northern Ireland.   We played 8 rounds in 5 days, and drove nearly 20 hours.

I essentially set up the trip, arranging tee times at the best courses and then building a trip around them.    I run a consulting company and have not taken a vacation like this in several years, so a less intense schedule would have mean simply seeing less of the top courses in Ireland.    Our attitude was that we may never come back to Ireland, so why not play the best of the best?   

Our schedule was as follows:

June 30

Leave Chicago on a 4 PM flight

July 1 - Ballybunion

We arrive in Dublin at 5:15 AM.    We had rented an SUV, but we decided to upgrade to a BMW SUV.   The sticker shock was the insurance, as we were unaware that both Amex Platinum and USAA will not provide sufficient overseas auto insurance, so it added about $600 to our rental.       Despite the largest SUV we could find, we quickly realized we did not have sufficient space for four golfers and their clubs.   It didn’t help that one of our travelers had a hard case! 

Fortunately, three of us had shipped our golf clubs directly to Ballybunion.   So, we only had one set of clubs.    But, we decided to immediately head to the hotel for our second two nights and leave basically store as much of our luggage as we didn’t need for one night on the road.   

We arrived at Ballybunion with plenty of time to spare.     They were very gracious hosts and we quickly got set up and made our way to the first tee.   While we had good weather for Ireland, Ballybunion was the most challenging.    For much of the back nine, we played the golf course in heavy rain and 40 to 50-mile hour winds.   Welcome to links golf!

The greens were slow, maybe an 8 at best.    However, it was so windy that the golf course would be unplayable at faster green speeds.   The views were absolutely spectacular and the golf course was a lot of fun to play.   But, it becomes difficult to enjoy a golf course when the wind and rain were as bad as we had it.    Oh, did I mention we got hail as well?   

After our round, we headed to Waterville and stayed at a local B & B.    Unfortunately, we made a horrible error, and actually went two hours out of our way due to another hotel with the same name in the opposite direction!   By the time we arrived at Waterville, it was after 11:00 PM.    The B & B had emailed us and asked if we were still coming, but while we had responded affirmatively, they tried to stick two of us in a twin bed.

Apparently, hotels in Ireland, even those near golf courses, cannot seem to understand that straight males do not want to share small beds!    Fortunately, they essentially gave us an entire house to stay in, so we turned the snafu into our advantage.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:29:20 PM by JWinick »

JWinick

Re: One Epic Ireland Trip!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:26:40 PM »
     July 2 (Waterville and Lahinch)

On July 2, our group did what few have ever tried to do – play Waterville and Lahinch in one day!  Not only did we pull it off, but we also had another long drive to Dublin (about 3 hours) after 36 hours.   

We really had limited options.    We could only play Ballybunion on a weekday, so our only choice was to play it the first day in the afternoon.    We then had three possible options for day 2 – Waterville, Lahinch, and Old Head.    If we played Old Head, we could possibly play Waterville, but certainly not Lahinch.     And, there were no early morning tee times at Old Head, so we decided on Waterville and Lahinch in one day.     If we could have arrived a day earlier, we could have attempted to play both Ballybunion and Waterville in one day, and possibly Lahinch in the morning and Potmarnock in the late afternoon.    Nevertheless, it worked out very well, but left us with a very exhausting day 2.   

We debated fairly intently on whether we drive to Dublin after an exhausting day, or stay in Lahinch.   I argued that you should always do the driving the night before because you’re not going to fall asleep early anyway, and then you have a long drive the following morning.    Additionally, I liked the idea of staying in the same hotel 3 of the 5 nights (two nights consecutive, then a night in Portrush, and then back to the same hotel), rather than checking out one more time.   Fortunately, our tee time the following day was at 2:00 PM, so we had some time to recover.

Anyway, I got up fairly early and wanted to hit some range balls.   I decided to grab my clubs and walk a mile or so to the golf course.   The walk towards Waterville told me we were going to play somewhere special.    I saw a beautiful seaside restaurant, small quaint houses, and farm animals.   

When I arrived at Waterville, it was 6:40 AM and there wasn’t a sole on the property.   In the US, most pro shops are already open and the grounds grew has been preparing the golf course for hours.    I decided to work on my putting and chip around the practice green while I waited for someone to show up.

We were the first group out at 7:30, although we did allow some twosomes to go through.    All of us were stunned at how amazing Waterville was as a golf course.   We had perfect weather (going to Ireland and Scotland involves re-setting your view of good golf weather) and amazing caddies.    My caddy told me the local innkeeper was a crook, and was the most loyal person I may have ever met.    Two terrific guys!   

After such trying weather at Ballybunion, all of us appreciated the less exposed weather at Waterville.    The golf course essentially sits on an estuary surrounded by mountains, so you had a lot more protection from the wind.    The finishing stretch (16-17-18) may be the best finish in all of links golf – a par 4/3/5 finish where you are reacquainted with the water.    It is rare that a golf course has a perfect routing, especially one in which multiple architects had a hand in its design.  We also felt that Waterville had more generous fairway widths and less forced carries than either Lahinch and Ballybunion, while still offering a stern test.   

After our round ended, we were in a bit of trouble as we finished in 4.5 hours and lingered a bit too long in the pro shop.    I knew we were in trouble with our Lahinch tee time, but we hit the road and gave it a go.   Fortunately, Lahinch was very accommodating and let us tee off at 5.

The drive was an adventure.    I had been warned about the roads in Ireland, but I needed to see it myself.    Even if you drive aggressively, you have a tough time going more than 40-50 miles an hour, as you are stuck on two lane and sometimes one-lane roads.   The roads are so narrow that you essentially have to drive center left, and then pull left any time a car comes towards you.

Fortunately, there is a ferry that our GPS devices did not easily pick up.   If you time it right, you can pretty much cut 45 minutes out of your journey by taking the Tarbert / Killimer ferry.    It leaves every 30 minutes and we made it just in time.    It’s a fun 30-minute journey and it leaves you only 30 minutes from Lahinch.

When we arrived at Lahinch, we quickly understood why its considered the St. Andrews of Ireland.    I’ve never seen a golf course fit so snugly into a community.    In the US, it is pretty rare that a golf course feels part of any community, let alone integrated with a town.   Pebble Beach is the best example I’ve seen, but it’s nothing like this.

Patrick Glynn joined us when we arrived and had dinner with us afterwards.    It was so nice knowing a member at a club, especially someone as helpful as Patrick.   Our group was dragging a bit early in the round and we were on pace to not finish, but we got back on track.

The 4th and 5th holes were of such distinction, first a memorable Par 5 with a totally blind second shot over a massive dune followed by a medium length blind Par 3!    Welcome to Links golf.     I believe that was both my first blind second shot on a Par 5 and my first blind Par 3.

After a round, we enjoyed a dinner and a few drinks.    On a side note, our caddies were 13 and 15 and they enjoyed a drink at the bar afterwards I later learned.    That was a surprise!

We then arrived at Dublin at the Contarf Castle hotel.   It was essentially a castle converted to a hotel.    Once again, we had room issues and they did not have separate beds for us.   Fortunately, they brought us cots.    Two of us actually went out that evening and one didn’t make it back to 5:00 AM – a nearly 24-hour day!

JWinick

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 09:27:06 PM »
     July 3 – Potmarnock

Finally, we got a good night sleep!    We arrived at Potmarnock early and enjoyed a nice lunch.   Potmarnock felt the most like a US private club.    It was the only club, for example, with a gate.    I loved the clubiness of the property and the clubhouse was the best one of the group.

Potmarnock was a great golf course.    It was a collection of 18 great golf holes without any letdown.   It’s actually three 9-hole courses, but we played the two best nine holes.    Potmarnock and Waterville were the least penal golf courses on the trip and we enjoyed the wider fairways and more playable fescue.    It was the least visually spectacular, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a beautiful golf course.   I got the feeling that I would appreciate the strength of the golf course the more I played it.    It was also just 20 minutes from central Dublin.  It was hard to imagine a golf course this special this close to a major city.   

After golf, we enjoyed a meal at the home of a relative of one of our player’s girlfriends and enjoyed a hearty Irish home-cooked meal.    I was amazed at how our elderly host spoke in such beautiful complete sentences.   The spoken word is a dying art!   In retrospect, we probably should have finished our evening earlier, but we still had gas in the tank.   

July 4 – Royal County Down (36)

We woke up around 4:30 and drive to Royal County Down for our 7:40 tee time.    Beginning 20 minutes away, you had the feeling you were going somewhere special.    As we crossed the border from Ireland to Northern Ireland, you observed a more orderly, and more British feel to the land.     

We arrived at Royal County Down right before 7.    I have never been so excited to play a golf course and it did not disappoint!   Prior to this trip, my favorite golf course was Oakmont, and it is fitting that RCD is now my new #1.    I have never played a golf course with such a combination of brawn and beauty.    While the course taunts you with blind penal tee shots, it rewards you with stunning natural beauty and conditioning.   It was the best conditioned golf course I have ever played. 

Surprisingly, RCD had the least holes along the ocean of our trip, but one could see the ocean from the distance and the mountains.    It just felt like a magical place.   The par-3 fourth hole was my favorite par 3 on the trip, and the par-4 ninth is the best par 4 I’ve ever played.    All of the holes on the front nine were outstanding.     

Some argue that the back nine of RCD is disappointing.   I couldn’t disagree more.    If you remove 4 and 9, the back nine is the front nine’s equal.   One of my favorite features of the clubhouse is the drying room, in which you can warm and dry yourself up during or after a round.    My only complaint is the lack of a driving range, although one is being built as we speak.   It is very difficult to play a golf course this special and this penal without the opportunity to hit balls. 

After our first 18, we had about 3 hours to enjoy the clubhouse, demolish the gift shop, and have a nice meal.    Our second 18 was rainier, but I enjoyed it a lot more.   If you don’t like the weather in Ireland, just wait because it is bound to improve.    We took a break after nine, dried up, and then headed out for a final 9 in perfect conditions.

We then headed to Royal Portrush, stopping in Belfast for dinner.   Belfast was a bit depressing, although we saw a better part of the city on our return from Portrush.

JWinick

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:27:37 PM »
     July 5 (Royal Portrush)

Our last day was no letdown.    Once again, I was the early riser and actually hitched a ride from a local to the golf course.    When I arrived at the first tee, I could immediately see that we were into something special.   

Royal Portrush was the only golf course that was a tournament site, and it certainly felt like you were on a stage.    About a dozen or so caddies and staff watch your first tee shot.    Not surprisingly, it is going to be the host of the 2019 Open Championship.    After the two new holes are built, I believe it will be the second best site in the rotation after Turnberry.

The first few holes are played with out of bounds on the right, so beware of the block right!   Unfortunately, my 240-yard pulls were not much better.    I alternated between piping 280+ yard drives down the middle and brutal pulls that left me in double-bogey territory.    The trouble on this golf course is penal, and there is often no way out.   On one hole, it took me three shots to pitch out to safety, even though I was trying each time to get out of trouble.   My caddy after giving me advice, finally admitted that he still doesn’t know how to play out of their wiry fescue.     While RCD was as penal, it was easier to find the ball and blast it to safety and there was no out of bounds.   

The fourth hole is destined to be one of the finest long par 4s in tournament golf.    It’s about 470 from the tips (we pretty much played every round from about 6500 yards) and features out of bounds right, trouble left, and three menacing fairway bunkers.    And, if you hit the green, you have a semi-blind approach shot.   Good luck!   

The Calamity hole (14 today, soon to be 16) is an uphill 200 / 210 par 3 with calamity right of the hole.     I was pleased that I hit a great shot the second round (don’t ask me about the first one!) and made an easy par.   A new tee is being built that will be 230 yards.    It may become the most difficult par 3 in the entire Open Rota. 

The new holes look really special.   I am not aware of any golf course that could improve itself so much by the changes proposed.   The current 17 and 18 are weak holes and do not measure up to the first 16.    The proposed two additional holes on the front nine are a massive upgrade and should vault Royal Portrush to the lower teens in the world rankings.

After our rounds, we headed back, enjoyed a great meal in Belfast, and finally got a well-deserved night of sleep.   Did I mention the same hotel messed up the bed situation again?    Oh well, when you travel, not everything goes right!

Rankings

1)    Royal County Down
2)    Waterville
3)    Potmarnock
4)    Royal Portrush*
5)    Lahinch
6)    Ballybunion

Ranking these courses is never easy.    All are special golf courses.   Ballybunion would be in my top-25, so last place in a group like this means very little.    In ranking Royal Portrush, I felt like I had to rank the course as it is, not as it will be when the two new holes replace the current 17 and 18, and you finish on the current 16.    When these changes are made, I would probably move it to a tie for second.

Birdies / Bogeys

Birdie – Our caddies.   I have never had such a fine collection of great caddies on a golf trip.   At Royal County Down, I was amazed at how my caddy seemed to find balls that we had no business finding!

Bogey – SIXT Car Rental.   I had begun to think that car rentals were a commodity, especially since many of the airports have moved their rental car facilities miles away from the airport.   But, Sixt is a terrible company and I would avoid them in the future.    Driving on the left side of the road was a new experience, and we did ding the car up a bit.   But, had I rented from Hertz, I’m sure there would have been no charge.   They were very rude and are attempting to charge me over $2,000 for minor scratches, claiming that it can’t be replaced.   Avoid this company – they are scam artists.   

Birdie – the Irish people.   I thought nothing of asking some complete stranger to drive us to Royal Portrush in the morning.    Everyone was warm and kind and got none of the hostility I’ve sometimes felt as an American in the rest of Europe.

Bogey – My 240-yard pull.    On US parkland courses, my miss is very playable, often resulting at worse a pitch to 50-100 yards in front of the green and a chance at a par.    In reviewing my home course, this miss only really hurts you on holes that are out of bounds on the left.   In most cases, the trees keep these shots in play and you very often have a shot at the green.

Birdie – Shipping your golf clubs ahead of time.    While it wasn’t cheap, it so nice starting a golf trip knowing your clubs are safe   

Bogey – The roads of Ireland.    I have never seen such terrible roads in a modern country.    Moreover, there is no easy way to avoid driving, as the trains aren’t any better.    If we could have made the flights work, we would have flown into Shannon and out of Dublin, but the logistics didn’t work out.    That essentially eliminates a few hours of driving. 

Birdie – The countryside of Ireland.    I kept thinking about the conflict between modernity and tradition.    If we drove on interstates, we would not have experienced the beautiful countryside.   The driving, while challenging, was actually fun as we got to see some breathtaking scenery.

Bogey – The hotels in Ireland.   As a frequent traveler, I know my hotels fairly well.   Europe generally lacks good midscale hotels.   Call me an ugly modernist, but I love my Marriott Springhill Suites and Courtyards.   

Birdie – The walking game.    I literally didn’t see one person during 8 rounds using a golf cart!  While carts can be a big plus especially when playing 36 holes, it is far better to walk.

Bogey – Lack of water.    On US courses, you typically see water coolers on every few holes.   I can only recall one time we saw an opportunity to hydrate for free!

Birdie – City of Dublin.    We were really impressed by how cool and fun Dublin was and wished we had more time to explore. 

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:02:07 PM »
Hi Jon,

Glad your trip went well...sounds like whirlwind!  Fun to hear your observations.

I'm going in September around a friend's wedding in Dublin, but we plan to play Lahinch, Portmarnock (groom is a member), Portrush, Baltray, The Island, and a couple other local venues.  This will be my third visit to Ireland, and I can't wait.  It will be fascinating especially to check out the work at Portrush.

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 03:53:40 AM »
J

Thanks for the report.

Live and learn...you made the rookie mistakes many do.  Glad to see you were impressed with the courses and had a good time.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

JWinick

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 05:44:48 AM »

If you can do Waterville, it's really worth it!   

Hi Jon,

Glad your trip went well...sounds like whirlwind!  Fun to hear your observations.

I'm going in September around a friend's wedding in Dublin, but we plan to play Lahinch, Portmarnock (groom is a member), Portrush, Baltray, The Island, and a couple other local venues.  This will be my third visit to Ireland, and I can't wait.  It will be fascinating especially to check out the work at Portrush.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 06:10:33 AM »
Sounds like you had a great trip. Congrats!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 06:58:49 AM »
JW,
Well done for the detailed write-up. The memories of your trip will stay with you forever I'm sure. There are numerous tips for others considering something similar in your write-up. I imagine you are already mulling over a repeat trip although I guess you may be inclined to include more time to smell the roses and experience a bit more craic next time.
Atb

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 07:15:12 AM »
JW,

glad you enjoyed the trip and had the opportunity to play some of Ireland's finest courses. I think the problems you experienced were probably more to do with lack of experience than anything else so as Sean says 'usual rookie mistakes'. I suspect if you do a repeat trip these negatives will appear much less important. (hire car companies are very tough these days in Europe)

Thanks for the write up.

Jon

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 07:24:27 AM »
J

Thanks for the report.

Live and learn...you made the rookie mistakes many do.  Glad to see you were impressed with the courses and had a good time.

Ciao

JW,
Glad you had a great trip
Some of the bogies you list are indeed part of the charm of Ireland.
 The lack of Marriots/ Springhill Suites and sometimes challenging roads are the perfect filter to keep Ireland charming and the high maintenace inclined comfortably in Boca or The hamptons.
There are many threads on Ireland travel here that could have saved you much difficulty (i.e. the right credit cards for free Irish Insurance, logistics, etc.)

Hopefully you've gotten the bug and this won't be your last trip.
While I enjoy the driving (Arble calls me General Sherman so I would've fit in nicely on your forced march) and it's nice to see different parts of the country, driving around as you did you miss many of the local joys such as the after golf pubs or charming (often spectacular) 9 holers littered around.

My initial links experience was a month in/around Waterville many years ago, so I understand the appeal of that course and area. The roads have come a Looong way since then with the Euro union money, but I'm not so sure that's a great thing.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JWinick

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 08:26:52 AM »

Well, we did get the largest possible car we could find!  In the US, everyone tells us to not pay for the extra insurance because your existing auto policy covers it.  And Amex offers protection as well.   I wasn't aware that this was not how it was done in Europe.    The bumps in the car were early in the trip.   It definitely took all of us (and all four of us drove) some time to get used to driving on the left side of the road on really narrow roads.   If we did it all over again, we would still rent a car, but we probably would have brought less stuff (that single hard case was a killer!).

What would you recommend

JW,

glad you enjoyed the trip and had the opportunity to play some of Ireland's finest courses. I think the problems you experienced were probably more to do with lack of experience than anything else so as Sean says 'usual rookie mistakes'. I suspect if you do a repeat trip these negatives will appear much less important. (hire car companies are very tough these days in Europe)

Thanks for the write up.

Jon

JWinick

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 08:31:40 AM »

Jeff,

I don't think any of us would really want Ireland to become too modern and lose all of its charm.   I actually thought intellectually a lot about the tradeoffs between progress and tradition.   The US doesn't really have that issue, but it seems apparent in Ireland and other parts of "Old Europe."   

Regarding hotels, there is just a level of service, consistency, and quality that you get in a chain.   I actually do a lot of work in the hotel industry, and I understand how hard these are to manage.    You're also forced to spend 10-50K / key every 7 years or so on the properties.   Did the less attractive hotels take away from the trip?  Not really - actually, it was fun to change what I am used to.   There is something about traveling abroad that you don't get when traveling in the US - it really takes you out of your everyday experience.

J

Thanks for the report.

Ciao

JW,
Glad you had a great trip
Some of the bogies you list are indeed part of the charm of Ireland.
 The lack of Marriots/ Springhill Suites and sometimes challenging roads are the perfect filter to keep Ireland charming and the high maintenace inclined comfortably in Boca or The hamptons.
There are many threads on Ireland travel here that could have saved you much difficulty (i.e. the right credit cards for free Irish Insurance, logistics, etc.)

Hopefully you've gotten the bug and this won't be your last trip.
While I enjoy the driving (Arble calls me General Sherman so I would've fit in nicely on your forced march) and it's nice to see different parts of the country, driving around as you did you miss many of the local joys such as the after golf pubs or charming (often spectacular) 9 holers littered around.

My initial links experience was a month in/around Waterville many years ago, so I understand the appeal of that course and area. The roads have come a Looong way since then with the Euro union money, but I'm not so sure that's a great thing.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 08:44:35 AM »
Its tough to rent a bigger car for 4 because of course that makes it more likely to get scrapes etc.  For 4 people its usually quite a bit cheaper (and allows for more freedom) to rent two small cars than it is one proper big car.  But if you want a larger vehicle you need to move up to full size or premium people carrier class because the X5 really isn't that big.  Although, now you may be getting into a cost range where it may be cheaper to hire a driver/van.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:46:36 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

JWinick

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 08:59:16 AM »
Has anyone done the driver / van?  It must be a lot more expensive, as you are paying labor, additional insurance, etc.   I'm curious what others have done. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 09:16:15 AM »
JWinick -

Charles Lund started a thread 6-12 months ago on various issues related to golf travel that went several pages and presented much interesting & helpful information and ideas.

Maybe you or someone can find it and link it here. It will help you plan your next trip. ;)

DT

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »
Here is the thread Charles Lund started. Plenty of helpful info here.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62124.0.html

Charles Lund

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 05:11:20 PM »
Thanks, Dave.

I appreciate the follow-up post about the trip.  I think, I posted somwhere, "Oh to be young again."

Glad to know the trip didn't end up being a train wreck.

Charles Lund

JWinick

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 06:21:20 PM »
Charles,

I wish I read your entire thread before we booked all the arrangements!   But, I think outside of the car rental situation, I think we did really well.   And, we did get a great car, but I just didn't bother to research the insurance overseas.   Just my luck, Ireland is one of like six countries that Amex doesn't cover!

Best,
Jon

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »

JW,

if you are hiring a car and are unsure of driving in that country then reducing the excess is always a good idea.

Jon

Well, we did get the largest possible car we could find!  In the US, everyone tells us to not pay for the extra insurance because your existing auto policy covers it.  And Amex offers protection as well.   I wasn't aware that this was not how it was done in Europe.    The bumps in the car were early in the trip.   It definitely took all of us (and all four of us drove) some time to get used to driving on the left side of the road on really narrow roads.   If we did it all over again, we would still rent a car, but we probably would have brought less stuff (that single hard case was a killer!).

What would you recommend

JW,

Thanks for the write up.

Jon

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »
JW,

What company did you use to ship your clubs direct to Ballybunion?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Charles Lund

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 08:55:47 PM »
I think the standard excess is about 1100 euros.  You can get the super-collision damage waiver which reduces the excess to 100 euros.

In nine self drive trips to Ireland, I have not had damage in a single rental.  This involves over six months of travel and playing golf.

I had one rental in Scotland where damage cost was 150 pounds.

I have been to Australia nine times.  They include coverage with something like a $1000 AUD excess.  I had two instances of damage.  Both were covered by my credit card.  I paid for one out of pocket which cost me $350 AUD.  I like the coverage with this card and didn't want to jeopardize coverage with a small claim.  On the other, it was with a different card which covered Australia, although I did not know about it.  The damage was under the deductible limit.  I paid but thought the damage cost exceeded the real repair cost.   I complained to the credit card company that I thought the charge was excessive.  They advised me it was covered with the card.   They followed up and the payment was refunded.  The rental company ended up charging the credit card company about half of what I had paid for the repair.

In another instance, the bumper release cover was missing when I returned essentially a brand new car with no evidence of damage to the surrounding area.  The Northern Ireland rental company held the 250 pounds associated with the rental.   I contacted supervisory personnel and sent  photos showing no damage to surrounding area.  I told them I thought it was a manufacturing defect that should be on warranty.  It took about six weeks and multiple skype calls, but they released the funds.  I won't rent from that outlet in that area again.

I had a friend who backed into another car on the first day of the trip.  He declined insurance to save money.  Damage was a few thousand euros.

The main thing is to have coverage that will take care of a lot of damage.

But I do think some rental companies may encourage employees to find damage and hit people with charges under the excess for minor damage.   Some companies have photos of the car at time of rental.  I think Hertz forwarded these by email when I rented the car.

In Ireland, there is separate coverage for theft and windscreens. 

Having the right credit card helps.  It also helps to travel with the letter explaining coverage.

I have done close to 25 overseas golf trips, mostly involving self drive rentals.

I would drive with one other person only.  I would not drive on a trip overseas with three passengers.  Put all drivers on the rental contract and pay the extra cost.

If you wanted to do multi-night stays in an area, you could travel by bus from Dublin Airport, stay in one hotel or B&B and arrange for shuttle service in an area.

Charles Lund

JWinick

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »

Shipsticks.   I think it really depends on when you are playing your first round of golf.    If bags miss a flight, they are nearly always on the next flight.   The cost was like $225, as opposed to 0 checking them on the way back.   

JW,

What company did you use to ship your clubs direct to Ballybunion?

JWinick

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 09:24:13 PM »

Here was my email exchange with Sixt Car Rental:

Your polite email cleverly disguises the abhorrent way your firm conducts business, which is punctuated by fraud, and "bait-and-switch" sales tactics.   I have literally rented thousands of cars and have never met a more disreputable car rental company.   We are disputing all charges.

Yours sincerely,
Jon Winick

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 8:18 AM, Aidan Fahey <Aiden.Fahey@sixt.ie> wrote:

Dear Sir

We write with reference to your recent car rental.

When the vehicle was returned, the Sixt rent a car check-In agent identified additional damage that was caused during your rental period. This was brought to your attention by the agent. 

You are responsible for the damage, irrespective of how the damage is caused, during your rental period. You have agreed to the above statement by signing the Rental Agreement.  Please see clause 5 overleaf of your Rental Agreement.

The cost of repairs to the vehicle amounted to €1661.29. Please find attached a Glassmatix Repair Estimate.

Per the terms of your Rental Agreement, you are responsible for the first € 2000.00 of damage to the rental vehicle during your rental period.  As agreed on your Rental Agreement we have debited the amount of € 1661.29 from your Credit Card Account for repairs to the rental vehicle.

Please submit this letter together with the attachments, should you wish to claim from your insurance company.

Should you have any queries, please email customer.service@sixt.ie

Yours sincerely,

Fleet Administrator
Sixt rent a car</blockquote>

I think the standard excess is about 1100 euros.  You can get the super-collision damage waiver which reduces the excess to 100 euros.

In nine self drive trips to Ireland, I have not had damage in a single rental.  This involves over six months of travel and playing golf.

I had one rental in Scotland where damage cost was 150 pounds.

I have been to Australia nine times.  They include coverage with something like a $1000 AUD excess.  I had two instances of damage.  Both were covered by my credit card.  I paid for one out of pocket which cost me $350 AUD.  I like the coverage with this card and didn't want to jeopardize coverage with a small claim.  On the other, it was with a different card which covered Australia, although I did not know about it.  The damage was under the deductible limit.  I paid but thought the damage cost exceeded the real repair cost.   I complained to the credit card company that I thought the charge was excessive.  They advised me it was covered with the card.   They followed up and the payment was refunded.  The rental company ended up charging the credit card company about half of what I had paid for the repair.

In another instance, the bumper release cover was missing when I returned essentially a brand new car with no evidence of damage to the surrounding area.  The Northern Ireland rental company held the 250 pounds associated with the rental.   I contacted supervisory personnel and sent  photos showing no damage to surrounding area.  I told them I thought it was a manufacturing defect that should be on warranty.  It took about six weeks and multiple skype calls, but they released the funds.  I won't rent from that outlet in that area again.

I had a friend who backed into another car on the first day of the trip.  He declined insurance to save money.  Damage was a few thousand euros.

The main thing is to have coverage that will take care of a lot of damage.

But I do think some rental companies may encourage employees to find damage and hit people with charges under the excess for minor damage.   Some companies have photos of the car at time of rental.  I think Hertz forwarded these by email when I rented the car.

In Ireland, there is separate coverage for theft and windscreens. 

Having the right credit card helps.  It also helps to travel with the letter explaining coverage.

I have done close to 25 overseas golf trips, mostly involving self drive rentals.

I would drive with one other person only.  I would not drive on a trip overseas with three passengers.  Put all drivers on the rental contract and pay the extra cost.

If you wanted to do multi-night stays in an area, you could travel by bus from Dublin Airport, stay in one hotel or B&B and arrange for shuttle service in an area.

Charles Lund

RJ_Daley

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 11:11:49 PM »
Since I will be making my second trip in a year span for Buda, this was quite interesting.  As noted, Charles Lund and Jeff Warne's ongoing commentaries are and have been invaluable. 

But, as I started reading June 30, July 1, July 2, etc., I thought; ' is this a typo?'  I took 12 days to drive essentially your Dublin, Ballybunion, Waterville, back to Lahinch, back to Dublin loop.  I did Dublin, Cork, Killarney, ROK, Dingle, ferry-Lahinch (to walk/photo not play) , then some leisurely days around Connemara, then back to Dublin.  Whilst I drove alone, and you had 4 drivers, just the other side of the road challenge amazes me that you fellows got in the saddle and just drove like maniacs.   :o ;D

I believe I already related my Ireland car rental drama, but 20 minutes away from the airport rental I basically I cracked up the left front bumper, fender-wheel housing and wheel cover.  I was sure the rental company would be tagging me for easily 1200 perhaps up to 2K.  So with a certain Dubliner archie helping me find a auto body guy practically out the front gate of Portmarnoch, I had a 'for cash euro's' deal on leaving it overnight there, and managed to not ding it up for the rest of the trip. 

For the major part of my lodging, I used AirB&B for several of my stops, a first time user, and I could not have been happier with the rooms, breakfasts and welcoming to actual homes of citizens.  Two hosts in particular really stood out, and made me feel like I knew them as friends for a long time.  Very special.  I also used Booking.com for a couple of places, including the Clifden House hotel.  I have not one complaint about anything I encountered in lodging and excellent meals, including great restaurants.  Dingle and the trad music in the pubs was a hoot.

As you see, there just simply is no way for an older codger like me to endure the sort of young stud whirl wind you and your mates seem to have made Mr. Winick.  But, hats off to doing what you had to do to get your dream tour in the books.  I must say I do look back and value my away from the golf course time walking extensively, Dublin, Cork, Killarney, Dingle and Clifden.  My late Sept, early Oct time span may have been very unique in terms of weather.  It was 'gorgeous' every day!!!  Yes a few sunshower spinkles here and there, but incredible weather.  I can only hope my 18 days this coming Sept for Buda and beyond will be nearly as good.  But, like last time, it will not be all golf all the time, and I will stop to smell a few more Irish roses.   ;D ;)

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back