News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Does Anyone Love the 80s?
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2016, 06:15:42 AM »
Adam

The Pixies were very good live. I happened to see them twice in England during the summer of 1990.  One gig was at a terribe place called Aston Villa Leisure Centre...awful sound.  The show a few weeks later at Hammersmith was much better sound quality.  My poor soon to be wife didn't know what hit her.  Mind you, at the time...I didn't know their music very well at all.  My mate Kuls was a huge fan and said you gotta go...when Kuls says you gotta go...you go. If the Pixies come to England this summer I think I may try to see them...I am told their shows with the new bassist are very good....though I gotta think they miss Deal's backing vocals. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:20:28 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2016, 06:27:34 AM »
I saw the Pixies live in Bristol in either late 1988 or early 1989, either way during my first year of uni. They were spectacular, it remains among the best shows of my life. Also probably the LOUDEST... god my ears rang after that...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2016, 06:45:44 AM »
the '80's......

Seve in his prime......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpchlvAHp-4

atb

Carl Rogers

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2016, 07:30:13 AM »
Taylormade Burners and Ping Eye 2's and a Cushin Ping Putter were great clubs ............ I was in my late 20's at the start of the decade, had my best ball striking back then, but I could not, or at least I thought I could not, afford any destination golf.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2016, 07:34:27 AM »
Sean - your music talk reminded me, and I can't believe I forgot:

The Pogues.

My goodness, some beautiful words and music they could produce.

Though I saw them live in a relatively small club in Toronto, standing a few feet away from Elvis Costello -- and let's just say that, as the night wore on and the drinks (on stage and off) flowed, the music 'devolved' a little.

Peter

James Brown

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2016, 08:30:27 AM »
The 1986 Masters.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »
Metal. Christ. Hair metal, I think, is the worst genre of popular music in history. Totally without redeeming feature.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Eric Smith

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2016, 09:27:55 AM »
Maybe it's mid-life crisis-esque - but I am dying to see a live metal show from one of the greats, like GnR, Priest, Maiden, even Ran's beloved, Dokken! ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2016, 09:48:41 AM »
Schmidt

Things must have been different at Northwestern.  I didn't know anybody into high school spandex hair heavy metal.  The only place that scene existed was on tv.  Shit, I didn't know that many people in high school into that scene.  In fact, university is when I was introduced to music even more boring than hair metal....the dreaded prog rock  :P  If I never hear another Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Yes or Genesis song my life will be better for it.  As fate would have it....my wife likes prog rock... :'(   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Rich Goodale

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2016, 10:16:44 AM »
The 80's were a great time for me--single, MTV, 1-4 months each year in Dornoch/8-11 months in NorCal, making lotsa dinero, meeting my eventual wife--but other than TPC Sawgrass, memorable new golf courses were non-existent, at least for me....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
Priest is proof that God loves us.

KKD now has his own golf course - http://www.theastbury.co.uk/hall/

Atb

Carl Rogers

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2016, 12:34:09 PM »
Ray Floyd's, in the 86 US Open 66 at Shinny was one of the great rounds ever!  Didn't that US Open put Shinnecock Hills back on the map?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Carl Nichols

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2016, 01:57:01 PM »
Raging Bull, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Platoon, Caddyshack, Fletch, Vacation, Empire Strikes Back, Blade Runner, Aliens ... many more

Born in the USA, Thriller, Appetite for Destruction, 1984, various U2 albums, Licensed to Ill, Full Moon Fever .... others

Nicklaus, Watson, Seve, Floyd and Faldo as multiple major winners

Lonesome Dove (the novel)

Reagan and Thatcher

Joe Hancock

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »
Raging Bull, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Platoon, Caddyshack, Fletch, Vacation, Empire Strikes Back, Blade Runner, Aliens ... many more

Born in the USA, Thriller, Appetite for Destruction, 1984, various U2 albums, Licensed to Ill, Full Moon Fever .... others

Reagan and Thatcher

Carl,

Is your list for, or against?  :)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Carl Nichols

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2016, 02:15:24 PM »

Reagan and Thatcher

Carl,

How could one be against?   ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2016, 02:16:38 PM »

Reagan and Thatcher

Carl,

Clearly.... :D (Did emoji's exist in the 80's?)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Carl Nichols

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »

Reagan and Thatcher

Carl,

Clearly.... :D (Did emoji's exist in the 80's?)

Probably not -- yet another positive.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2016, 02:36:47 PM »
The 70s were a tough act to follow but to call the 80s a music wasteland is a bit of a reach.  Some really good stuff there- just listen to Jools Holland's piano on The The's Uncertain Smile- better than anything in this millennium :)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2016, 02:52:56 PM »
The Indy music scene in Britain in the 80's was outstanding. Living in the northeast I saw loads of great gigs. On top of that with half decent summers and lots of decent reasonably priced golf what was not to like.

Jon

David Ober

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2016, 05:41:48 PM »

There was plenty of great music made in the 80's. You just had to look to the UK for most of it!

The Jam
Squeeze
The Pogues
The Clash
David Bowie
Tears for Fears
Pixies
R.E.M.
INXS
The Housemartins
The English Beat
OMD
The Fixx
Sparks
RUN-D.M.C.
The Smiths
Depeche Mode
Oingo Boingo (critics initially panned them, but Danny Elfman's lasting contributions to film scoring proved him to be the genius that we all knew him to be as teens!)

As for fashion, none of us kids in high school dressed "trendy." We were all "preppies" who dressed in chinos or jeans and oxfords or polos. Not sure how the group that I hung with decided on that type of dress, but we all couldn't stand neon and scrungies and extra zippers and the like.

David Ober

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2016, 06:17:27 PM »
The 70s were a tough act to follow but to call the 80s a music wasteland is a bit of a reach.  Some really good stuff there- just listen to Jools Holland's piano on The The's Uncertain Smile- better than anything in this millennium :)

Squeeze is one of my all-time favorite bands. East Side Story may be my favorite album ever, and "Up the Junction" and "Labelled with Love" are two of my favorite songs ever.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back