GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Are Champion Bermuda greens more expensive to build/maintain?

(1/3) > >>

Chris Pearson:
Having grown up on bentgrass greens but now living in Texas, I am largely disappointed with bermuda greens—especially those in central Texas, which just doesn't get enough rain to keep them satisfactorily lush.

However, I've recently realized that, without exception, Champion Bermuda greens provide the most consistent playing surfaces I've encountered south of the Mason-Dixon line. In fact, if I only got to play Champion greens, I could live happily without ever putting on bentgrass again (well, I wouldn't miss the bent too much).

From the firmness of the turf (due to the thicker, denser root system?) to the quality of the grain, Champion Bermuda seems to be a cut above other variants, such as Tif Dwarf, which is a popular alternative in central Texas.

My question is this: If Champion Bermuda is so obviously superior, why don't we see it on more courses in the South?

For example, a local muni in Austin (Jimmy Clay) just redid their greens...but they used Tif Dwarf. Thanks to a history of poa creep and sustainability issues on the greens, the super has no choice but to keep the grass longer to allow the roots to grow deeper. As a result, the playability is garbage, and the surfaces are clearly subpar compared to other courses in the area that feature Champion Bermuda.

What gives here? At this point, any club that chooses to redo their greens without Champion is nearing "complete write-off" status for me.

Mike Nuzzo:
IMO Management, construction and design are all more important than grass selection.
When you refer to Champion are you referring to all ultra-dwarfs - miniverde and tif-eagle?
My favorite course in Texas has dwarf, but it has different management, construction and design philosophies.

Sam Morrow:

--- Quote from: Mike Nuzzo on September 19, 2015, 08:14:46 PM ---IMO Management, construction and design are all more important than grass selection.
When you refer to Champion are you referring to all ultra-dwarfs - miniverde and tif-eagle?
My favorite course in Texas has dwarf, but it has different management, construction and design philosophies.

--- End quote ---

Sounds nice

Steve_ Shaffer:
My "club" here in West Valley of Phoenix is considering a renovation of our Keith Foster course (about 20 years old and probably one his first solo efforts) involving a badly needed  new irrigation system, new fairway and greens grass and, perhaps, more. One of the problems we see is that Champion has not had success at Phoenix CC(same elevation as us) but SunRidge Canyon (higher elevation) and Maryvale (same elevation as us) are installing it. The other problem is that our local grass supplier only grows TifDwarf and Champion would have to be imported from a supplier in Texas so it may cost more.

Anthony_Nysse:
Champion only comes from Texas. Tifeagle only comes from Southern Georgia and Mini Verde is growth throughout the southern states, which is why there have been so many issues with it being pure. Lot of issues with Champion being pure, also. It seems to mutation or "yellow dog" after 4-5 years. Tifeagle is the only genetically made grass and has been around for nearly 20 years.
  Mike couldn't be more right when he refers to management and those that do not have the time and $$ to maintain a UD, dwarf is still a very good surface. Id also include where the turf is being managed. Certain areas of the country seem to do better with certain grasses.
  Around here, Champion certainly isn't the most popular choice and isn't my favorite. Courses where is excels down here are much more seasonal. Tifeagle is being used at Doral, PGA National, Bay Hill, TPC Scottsdale, Innisbrook, Harbour Town, Sea Island. TPC Sawgrass will be converting to Tifeagle after 2016 event. Mini Verde is being used at East Lake, Quail Hollow, TPC Louisiana and Redstone, though the latter 2 overseed. Champion is used at Sedgewood.
  "Write off status" is a bold comment without knowing all the factors. Every ultradwarf has some drawbacks, some much more issues than others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version