News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Tupper Lake Golf/Country Club (Through Hole 18)
« on: May 30, 2015, 08:07:38 AM »
This thread (http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61114.0.html) brings us to this course (http://www.tupperlakegolf.com/) and what it currently is and has always been (but may not be for much longer.) I'll continue to add to this first post until it fills, but welcome commentary below.

A proper thread begins with a photo of a proper gent, teeing off on hole number one, with hickory in hands (not a euphemism.)

Hole #1: A brief par five of 460-410 from the back and middle tees. Turns left over a burn and rambles its way toward the green. Cue photos~

Tee Ball

Over The Burn

Down The Way

From Above

Right Green

Rear Green

Hole #2: A duplicitous par four that leans slightly to the right as you go. Staked at 358 and 322 from the back and middle tees. What's good is, the land pushes you left, but the hole comes back right, so you fight human nature on this little poop. Click~

Off The Tee

Down The Way

From The Pitch

From The Front

From Way Rear

Hole #3: A terse par four if ever there was one,  315 and 300 from the two decks. Over the burn again, this time angle slightly right, then down the down to the hole. Release the shutter~

Away

The Middle

From Aback

Closer In

Front-Right Green

Rear Green

Hole #4: A third short par four in sequence (346-339)), we've retraced our steps past the clubhouse, beyond the opening meadow, to another segment of the golf course. Soon we will see a bit of topographical movement. For now, we have a slight leftward turn ahead, around a corner bunker. If you're long enough, go over it. If not, safer play is center of fairway with a shorter club. Green can be approached aerially or with ground troops. Focus and click~

Tee Shot

Closer Up On The Left

The Punishment

From The 150 Post

Right-Side Angle

Hole #5: The first, one-shot hole (212-174) is an opportunity to move from here to there. Across a soft area, to a green sighted above a slope, on a ledge. No bunkering on the hole. Trees behind the green doubtless hinder grass growth on the green. Hopefully, they'll go away. Move along, not much to see~

From Back Back

From Closer In

From Right Side Of Green

From Back Of Green

Hole #6: Back to the short par fours (364-330.) Remember, this course tips out at 6100 yards; expect five of these -type holes on the front. This one is unique, as it plays hard-right around the border stand of trees. Either the wicked fade for righties or a lay-up to the fairway middle are options. If your ball moves leftward on this hole, it's no good (just like my photography here, which abandoned the entire putting surface...apologies.) Shoot~

Green From Tee Distance, But Not From Tee

View From Fairway Left

Deeper In Up Left
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:44:04 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

Re: Tupper Lake Golf/Country Club
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 05:49:10 PM »
Hole #7: Might come as a shock, but it's a 360-340 yard par four. For those who doubt that Donald J. Ross, Jr. was ever on site, this run of similar-length holes might add some credence to the claim. Not very common for DJR to do such a thing (especially since #9 also fits into that range, giving 6 similar holes over a 9-hole stretch.) Anyhoo, this one is terrific from tee to green. Risky play is to take it over or around the trees on the inside (left) of the dogleg. Safe play is to hit 3 metal or hybrid to 150 and play in from there. Green has a sizable swale front left, giving it kick-plate bounce from front right. Read, aim, shoot~ Click~

Tee Ball

From The Corner

Front Shot Green

Rear With Rock

Entire Green From Rear

Hole #8: At 189-175 yards, a bit different from the first par three. This one plays downhill and should drop the yardage by ten from the front (for equity.) Big front-left tongue and trouble right. A bounce-in is certainly an option here, a welcome one. Trip The Shutter~

From The Deck

Weird Tilt From Behind

From Deep Right, Looking Over Bunker

Hole #9: You haven't really seen this one before, but you have played its yardage. My guess is that some inspired fairway bunkering would make each of the 6 middie par fours unique to the others. Perhaps it will come one day. It occurs to me at this juncture that, much like my Saranac thread from 2014, I've lost a fair number of photos from this memory card, so I have little to show for this hole. Point And Shoot~

First Shot

First Shot Farther Down

From The Left Side
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 01:42:02 PM »
Hole #7: Might come as a shock, but it's a 360-340 yard par four. For those who doubt that Donald J. Ross, Jr. was ever on site, this run of similar-length holes might add some credence to the claim. Not very common for DJR to do such a thing (especially since #9 also fits into that range, giving 6 similar holes over a 9-hole stretch.)

On the concurrent thread, Jim Kennedy posted an article from the opening of the expanded course in 1942.  The current first nine was the new nine and the descriptions from the article match up fairly well with what's on the ground.

However, according to the 1942 article, #7 was a "460 yards long par 5, with a severe dogleg bearing to the left."  Not sure where the other 100 yards were (or went).  The 1953 Aerial didn't reveal an abandoned tee that I could see.

Perhaps that's what was on the blueprint, but the clearing company didn't remove enough trees.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 02:38:12 PM »
Ron,

I think it's possible to read Ross in the descriptions of the lower nine, but it's in doubt because there is no mention of him having been there. I don't think the club has any record of it, given that their original house burnt to the ground in '56. There is a possibility that Ross drew up some plans for the WPA who sent the town manpower to build the 2nd nine, but no one has ever produced them.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 09:09:32 PM »
Hole #10: Now we get some interest. Tee ball to a crest, drop down to a flat, green on other side, on a ledge. Say Cheese~

Tee Ball

From Above

From Below

Hole #11: Neat Par Five. Hit drive into flat, then blast second over the edge and hope. Lots of room, lots of potential. Focus~

From The Deck

Blind Second

Sighted Third

Hole #12: This is a terrific, uphill one-shotter. I lost so many photos from this section of the course last year and I'm steamed. Alas... Lensmen tell no tales~

From Behind The Putting Surface

From Short And Right

Side Shot Of #12 & #11 Greens
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:37:52 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 05:57:29 AM »
Hole #13: More Interest. 419 and 402 and the breach between seems longer. Lost a lot of photos over the next stretch, but here is what I have.

Tee Ball

Fairway Ball

Hole #14: 394 and 380 par four. Visibly-appealing tee ball (which you don't see) and tricky approach shot (which you do see, albeit akimbo.)

From The Fairway

Hole #15: Second blind tee ball in three holes. 510 and 418 indicates what some golfers view as a par five differs. Great rise to green at end.

From The Tee

Before The Bend

At The Bend

Looking Back
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

Re: Tupper Lake Golf/Country Club (Through Hole 15)
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 07:43:23 AM »
Hole #16: And out of the trees comes genius! 425 and 402, and what a par four. I don't mind the trees here, as they mask the genius of the hole. Maybe it would be better to see if from the beginning, perhaps not. The fairway propels tee balls every which way and the green sits angled on a ledge, suggesting that a timid approach to front-right might be best.

Tee Ball

Fairway Ball

Upper Fairway Ball

Lower Fairway Ball

Hole #17: As confusing as the previous was apparent. Tee ball aims between which trees? It seems like the run of smaller arbor was planted because the fairway was too wide...too wide!?!? Impossible. Ditch those little ones and give us a berth!

From The Tee

The Confusing Trees

The Green

Hole #18: Absolutely nothing. All images gone. Here's an overhead of this 155-150 closer. Nice way to finish the round.

And here's the entire course

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:45:02 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back