News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Benjamin Litman

The Course at Yale (A Photo Tour in Black and White)
« on: May 15, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »
Motivated not only by my preference for black-and-white photography (everyone, and every golf course, looks better in black and white), but also by the wondrous archive of black-and-white construction pictures that Colin Sheehan posted several months ago (http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60785.0.html), I took numerous pictures in black and white while at Yale yesterday for the first round of the NCAA Men's East Regionals. I've decided to segregate them from my color pictures, more of which I will post over on Colin's NCAA thread. Note that I did not capture every hole or every part of a hole in black and white (and I prefer not to convert color pictures into black and white to fill gaps), and also note that I've decided to let the pictures speak for themselves. I am accordingly omitting my usual commentary and saving it for a future color tour (likely coming in the fall, when the foliage makes an already magical place even moreso). All yardages are from the tips.

At least two things should be clear from the pictures:  (1) Far from a "tragedy," Yale is a majestic golf course whose immense scale, grandeur, and boldness have few, if any, peers among the world's great inland golf courses, and (2) superintendent Scott Ramsay and the entire Yale staff should be commended, especially after the brutal winter that just was, for getting the course in such wonderful condition for the NCAA Regionals (to say nothing of their incredible work on all facets of the course over the last decade-plus). The setting drips with gravitas, as if built to host significant events. Hopefully it will host more in the future.

The Course at Yale (Seth Raynor, 1926)

Hole 1 ("Eli"): Par 4, 410 Yards

Hole 2 ("The Pits"): Par 4, 365 Yards

Hole 3 ("Blind"): Par 4, 380 Yards

Hole 4 ("Road"): Par 4, 440 Yards

Hole 5 ("Short"): Par 3, 147 Yards, and Hole 6 ("Burnside"): Par 4, 440 Yards

Hole 8 ("Cape"): Par 4, 415 Yards

Hole 9 ("Biarritz"): Par 3, 235 Yards

Hole 10 ("Carries"): Par 4, 396 Yards

Hole 11 ("Valley"): Par 4, 379 Yards

Hole 12 ("Alps"): Par 4, 400 Yards

Hole 13 ("Redan"): Par 3, 212 Yards

Hole 14 ("Knoll"): Par 4, 365 Yards

Hole 16 ("Lang"): Par 5, 553 Yards

Hole 17 ("Nose"): Par 4, 437 Yards

Hole 18 ("Home"): Par 5, 621 Yards

Here is a link to the course's brand-new website, which includes hole-by-hole flyovers (and, currently, a picture on the front page of Jordan Niebrugge's scorecard from his course-record 62 today): http://thecourseatyale.org/

And here are links to several notable GCA threads on Yale:

Ran's excellent review in Courses by Country: http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/yale-university-golf-course-ct-usa/
Tim Weiman's "Greatest Tragedy" thread: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,5219.0.html
Tom Doak's "OMG" thread: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56565.0.html
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:01:41 PM by Benjamin Litman »
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Keith Phillips

Re: The Course at Yale (A Photo Tour in Black and White)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 05:16:41 PM »
few, if any, peers among the world's great inland golf courses

I agree with this - have only played Yale once, but no other course has exceeded my expectations to the same extent.  I rank it alongside Oakmont and Pine Valley as the greatest inland courses I've played.

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 05:18:50 PM »
 8) Benjamin,

Great shots... thanks for the views..  now I know about the Lang Invasion of 1573 and the Lang Steps at Edinburgh Castle, but why's the 16th named Lang?

Regards
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »
Beautiful
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Eric Hammerbacher

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 07:01:08 PM »
The black and white looks amazing- the shadows from the trees really adds another dimension to the landscape.
I tried to fit in Yale on the way back from a Boston golf trip last year but ended up playing the Black course instead.  The scale reminds me of Bethpage in a lot of the pictures.  I can see I'm going to have to head back up to New England soon!
"All it takes, in truth, for a golfer to attain his happiness is a fence rail to throw his coat on, and a target somewhere over the rise." -John Updike 1994

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 07:16:32 PM »
8) Benjamin,

Great shots... thanks for the views..  now I know about the Lang Invasion of 1573 and the Lang Steps at Edinburgh Castle, but why's the 16th named Lang?

Regards

Taking this question at face value, I assume it is because it is a Par 5. Almost all the great links courses have a hole called "Long" and many in Scotland are called "Lang" (being a way of pronouncing Long in certain parts of Scotland).

I loved Yale. Not only that, during my one play, I got to experience Pat Mucci in the flesh.

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 07:57:46 PM »
 8) Ally, thanks... makes perfect sense.. and further reinforces why I couldn't understand the name when called out for a table at dinner one night in Edinburgh!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 10:31:54 PM »
I believe 18 is/was named "Odyssey", no?

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 11:06:21 PM »
The photos are spectacular and so is the new website! Well done, all.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 11:42:16 AM »
Nice to see these b&w photos Benjamin. Really shows up the contouring and features. Your first photo of the 8th green is a cracker.
atb

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 09:38:41 PM »
Many thanks for the kind words, all, and apologies for the delayed reply.

Keith: I haven't played Oakmont or Pine Valley, so I'm curious: (1) has the tree clearing at Yale had as dramatic an effect as the tree clearing at Oakmont, and (2) in terms of seclusion, scale, and topography, Yale seems to have more in common with Pine Valley than with Oakmont, no?

Steve: Ally is correct, but I wonder whether the holes named "Lang/Long" get their names because there isn't much else--i.e., apart from length--to say about them. For example, if Yale's 18th were the 16th, would it be called "Lang"? Somehow, I doubt it.

Eric: Funny you should mention Bethpage Black. When I played it on Sunday, I got into a lengthy discussion with my playing partner about the comparative scale of Bethpage Black and Yale. We agreed that, as far as courses making you feel small, Bethpage Black comes closest to Yale--at least in terms of courses we've played--but we ultimately gave the edge to Yale, due to the stretch of flat (albeit still great) holes from 10-13 at Bethpage. You should definitely try to get up to Yale, especially as it's in such spectacular shape this year.

Geoffrey: That's the first I've heard of "Odyssey" being used to describe Yale's 18th (although I prefer its descriptive quality to "Home"). I did some research, and all I found was a comment by Ran--"I never knew the hole was named Odyssey - isn't that a unique name within the Raynor family of courses?"--on another GCA thread entitled "The much maligned 18th at Yale." In a follow-up to Ran's comment, Mike Erdmann corroborated that the 18th was called "Odyssey" (and also gave names of the other 17 holes, many of which similarly differed from their current names). But aside from those two comments, I can't find anything else on the Internet to support it. The Yale website calls it "Home," and the "Golf at Yale" history book (available in hard copy at the Yale pro shop and online) doesn't mention "Odyssey" either. Interestingly, the first scorecard for the course--which you get a hard copy of if you buy the "Golf at Yale" book--had no names listed for any of the holes. UPDATE: I just found another GCA thread where Tim Martin confirms that the 18th was indeed called "Odyssey," changing to "Home" on the scorecard only after 2001 (http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48484.0.html). Does anyone know who/what inspired the change?

Separately, please note that, as my now-modified comment at the beginning of this thread indicates, I've decided to hold off on compiling a color photo tour of Yale until the fall, when the course is at its most colorful. I have enough good color pictures from last Thursday for a color tour, but many of them are shot from similar perspectives as the black-and-white pictures, which I prefer. (The above black-and-white tour is now updated with a few additional pictures that for some reason didn't upload from my camera the first time.) Another tour would therefore be visually duplicative. Also, I want my next photo tour of Yale to contain a full written review, and I find it easier to compile one after I've just played, as opposed to walked, the course--even if I know all of the shots and holes by heart, I am more attuned to playability aspects of the design when I've just played it. I will, however, post several more of my color photos over at Colin's NCAA thread.

"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back