News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Re: Are there any golf courses aided by the cart?
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2015, 01:06:14 PM »
Although I’ve scratched my head previously regarding some of this character’s posts, I cannot let this one go without response.  Anyone who even suggests that Mark Pritchett does not “get it” is beyond moronic (with apologies to Pat for the trademark infringement).  Ben, I suggest you limit your vitriol to those who you know personally or whose previous posts you’ve taken the time to read.

Jamey

Jamey,

You might want to read posts #25, #55, and #57 and tell me there is no Vitriol remarks sent my way.  I don't care whether or not i know Mark Pritchett.  Do you carry his water for him?  Real simple, don't thread jack me, and I won't thread jack you or Mark.  Are you one of the esteemed posters??   ::) ::) ::)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2015, 01:14:05 PM »
If you want to play as many holes as possible before dark, a cart helps on pretty much every course you can find.

There are huge numbers of golfers that can get around on foot faster than you can in a cart if the 90 degree rule is honored.

This is not true unless you only hit your tee ball 100 yards, which makes it the case for you but not everybody else...

Widen your horizons Sean.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »
... But if my intent is to play 54+ holes in a day, I'll ride.
Garland, you are incorrect. I haven't yet had an opportunity to go to Bandon. If/when I can go, I will happily walk as many holes as possible. I'll be sure to let you know when I do.

Not a contradiction?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

BHoover

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2015, 01:23:43 PM »
... But if my intent is to play 54+ holes in a day, I'll ride.
Garland, you are incorrect. I haven't yet had an opportunity to go to Bandon. If/when I can go, I will happily walk as many holes as possible. I'll be sure to let you know when I do.

Not a contradiction?

I don't see it as being one. But I'm guessing you do. Fair enough.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2015, 04:23:29 AM »
Hi,

I speak with the bias that I like carts and that I walk 500-600 miles of golf course seasonally as a caddie.

I observe that anti-cart posters here are disproportionately invested in something that doesn't hurt them, that they 98/100 times can choose to ignore, and over which only the most ardent and obstinate of them wouldn't admit a utilitarian value.

I think carts have been as important to the growth, diversification and widespread enjoyment of the game as any significant development, like the Haskell ball or the developed jurisprudence of rules, or color television...

And that's what GCA is all about, in the end - enjoyment, whether that comes from playing challenge or a mix of game playing with visual aesthetics. I appreciate architecture that much more which acknowledges and/or allows for carts' use; I don't mind blacktop cart paths weaving, paralleling, or cutting across play areas; I accept a ball ricocheting off them (for good or for ill) like any other turf/non turf feature.

I do have a problem with the awkward parking/green-tee/systems that sometimes occur when cart usage is NOT well-figured into a plan for a course/hole that intends to use them.

But that wasn't the original question...

"Notable" courses that I have enjoyed more BECAUSE there were carts in use: (I don't know if this translates to "aided" as CR originally meant it.)

Yale, Fisher's, NGLA, Fenway, Sleepy Hollow,

"Notable" courses that would be more enjoyable IF there were carts in use

Bethpage B, Augusta National (I think there are), Pine Valley (?), Hudson National (hate the course, but I would hate it far less if carts were the regular thing there)

Notable Courses that are such easy walking courses--to the extent that part of the enjoyment of the course is actually discovering how gentle it is to walk and how the rhythm of walking can enhance play...

Winged Foot West, CC of Fairfield, Maidstone, Seminole,

Unsolicited:

Even in my bias, I acknowledge that an original essence of the game--pastorally, competitively, and recreationally-- (that has been maintained in its elite levels) is the exertion of walking. But I also think it is unnecessarily defensive and contentious to constantly re-posit that carts are to be identified as a deleterious influence which decays the game, and therefore can have no place in esteemed golf course architecture.  How does it do that, when the pleasures of the game and its architecture have been reported in a hundred subjective ways across the 50 million human players? Walking is only one or two of those 100 ways it is enjoyed, not 99 of them.

The game is indeed for everyone who wants to enjoy it, and the people get to vote with their feet (pun intended) on what enjoyment is. The game is not noble in and of itself; whatever nobility it has comes from the conduct of what people do when they engage it, play it or serve its play. If walking is on the list of things that are pleasurable, enjoyable, precious, dear and recreationally stimulating about golf, it is somewhat down the list. If we did a Family Feud type survey question, it might be "We asked 100 golfers what is most pleasurable about golf?"... "Walking" might be #6 on the list with like 3 votes out of 100...immediately after, "Get to Ride in a Cart" at# 5, with 8 votes.

The soapbox is now going back to holding soap

cheers

vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2015, 06:54:45 AM »
Pine Valley Short - it appears to have been designed with carts in mind and the object is to relieve pressure on the main course and give golfers especially those in residence options during the day. Carts are banned on the main course as well.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back