News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Benjamin Litman

A(nother) Review of Streamsong Red, with Pictures New
« on: January 06, 2015, 03:23:05 PM »
Given that Golf Digest just ranked Streamsong Red 100 on its 2015-16 list of the top 100 courses in America (Blue comes in at 120), I figured now was as good a time as any to post my comments and pictures based on my recent visit (December 27, 2014-January 1, 2015). I know others have posted reviews already--I benefited from them greatly both before and during my time at Streamsong--so I hope you'll accept one more.

But before I get to my hole-by-hole analysis of Coore & Crenshaw's Red course (I'll post a similar analysis of Tom's Blue course soon), a few comments about Streamsong generally. I can't say enough good things about the golf and the overall experience. The resort will no doubt continue to improve and grow (Gil Hanse sat next to us at dinner on our last night and is apparently in line to build the third course on the property by the end of 2016), but everything is pretty amazing as is. And, yes, I actually enjoyed the shuttle service, as it was prompt and quick and allowed us to leave golf behind as we returned to the lodge. Sure, the food quality has a ways to go (Sotto Terra is clearly the class of the three restaurants, and P205 is clearly the worst (both in food quality and in ambience--the lodge needs a place to eat breakfast where you can see the outdoors), but my legitimate complaints are few.

Each of the current courses (we played and walked five rounds total, two on Red, three on Blue) is picturesque, peaceful, and legitimately world-class (playable, yet challenging, to all). The resort is in the middle of nowhere (for those not aware, you take a one-hour car ride east from the Tampa airport to get there), so, apart from the hotel (which I love, architecturally and practically), you see no evidence of civilization anywhere. I love it so much--and the golf is so good--that I might consider going every year. Both courses are already in the top three public courses in Florida (Sawgrass is the other) and in the top five courses overall in the state (Seminole and Calusa Pines, both private, are the others). And what they say is true: Neither course looks or plays like a Florida course (although there was more water than I was expecting). The landscape is vast and dramatic, and golf-course-architecture connoisseurs--i.e., all of you--will be pleased to find, among other classic design elements, a spectacular Biarritz green (on the Red's par-3 16th), two Principal's Nose bunkers (by the green on the Red's short par-4 4th and in the fairway on the Blue's par-4 15th), and at least five Cape or, for purists, Cape-style holes (the Red's par-5 2nd, par-4 5th, and par-4 17th, and the Blue's par-4 3rd and par-5 14th). Red has the better collection of individual holes, but Blue has the better overall feel.

Streamsong Red (Coore & Crenshaw)

Front Nine

Many argue that the start on Red (specifically, the loop comprising holes 1-6) is the heart of the course, but I found the stretch from 14-18 to be superior. As for the start, I think the first hole--though beautiful and arresting and blessed with a great tee shot (visually intimidating, yet quite playable given the shortness of the water carry and the width of the fairway)--is too hard of an opener, on account of being too long and too uphill. I shared the experience of other GCAers who, in playing the hole, saw no one come close to reaching the green in two.

Streamsong Red, Hole 1 (tee at sunset)

Streamsong Red, Hole 1 (right fairway bunker)

The second hole (a reachable par 5 with a Cape-style tee shot) and third hole (a medium-length, blind par 4), though unique and good holes, didn't do much for me, either.

Streamsong Red, Hole 2 (fairway, left fairway bunker)

Four is legitimately a great short par-4 rife with ingenious design elements, both in the fairway and around and on the green. I loved both the long dead-center fairway bunker and the front-center greenside Principal's Nose bunker, but I appreciated most the small sliver of a bunker on the back-left side of the green (where the pin was the first time I played it). It will gather lots of balls because the landing area on that side of the green is tiny, due a sharp false front. I found it and actually putted the ball from the bunker (for the first time ever, if memory serves) because my ball was only six inches into the bunker, which was on the exact same elevation as the adjacent fringe; alas, I hit it too hard, and it ran off the front of the green. As I said, a great bunker.

Streamsong Red, Hole 4 (fairway)

Five, though not a great hole, is underrated; it's also one of the few places on the Red course (ironically deemed to have more dramatic property than the Blue course) where you get a sense of Streamsong's scale, which is much more--and frequently--apparent on the Blue course:

Streamsong Red, Hole 5 (fairway)

Streamsong Red, Hole 5 (green)

That leaves holes 6-9, which I actually found to be the better stretch on the front side. Six is a stout, and beautifully framed, par 3, and seven is a challenging par 5 (although one where the hazards by the green make going for it in two unwise on most occasions and for most players).

Streamsong Red, Hole 6 (front tee)

Eight and nine are, along with four, my two favorite holes on the Red's front side. Like the Blue's fifth hole, the Red's eighth hole is a brilliant short par 3 where play is dictated by the angle of approach from the tee (diagonal to the green from the right tee, straight up the green from the left tee):

Streamsong Red, Hole 8 (right tee, diagonal angle to green)

Streamsong Red, Hole 8 (left tee, straight-on angle to green)

Nine is a great short par 4 where, like the Blue's first hole, the closer you get to the green on your tee shot, the harder (and more chili-dip-inducing) the approach shot:

Streamsong Red, Hole 9 (tee)

Back Nine

Ten and eleven are solid long par 4s, with ten being a decent, but not great, Alps hole. (It's a poor man's version of the twelfth at Yale, minus the moat bunker that guards the green at Yale. In that way, the green at Streamsong Red's tenth reminds me more of the seventeenth green at Kingston Heath, which is similarly blind and accessible with a running approach shot.) I loved 12, which reminded me a great deal of the seventh at Montauk Downs (although the water at Streamsong Red's twelfth is outside (i.e., to the right of) the dogleg left, while the water at Montauk Downs's seventh is inside the dogleg). Different holes, to be sure, but similar feels with their downhill, right-to-left sweeps. Thirteen is a decent par 5, where play gets more interesting the closer one gets to the green (the tee shot is to another wide fairway--like the fourth and the eleventh--split in two by a dead-center bunker).

Then starts one of the best closing stretches I've ever played. The view from the fourteenth tee, with the fifteenth hole climbing toward the horizon in the distance, is the best on the property and surely one of the best in all of golf (even if it mimics Coore & Crenshaw's 17-18 at Sand Hills, which I've never played).

Streamsong Red, Holes 14 and 15 (from left of the back tee on 14)

Streamsong Red, Holes 14 and 15 (from the front tee on 14)

As for the holes themselves, they aren't easy. Fourteen is a medium-length par 3 to a plateaued green, best reached with a fade. Large and deep bunkers punish misses right or left. Short is probably the best miss. If you miss long, you face a steep roll off, as pictured below:

Streamsong Red, Hole 14 (behind the green, looking backward)

Fifteen, though probably, like one, too hard of a par 4 (again on account of being too long and too uphill), is a more interesting hole than one due both to its beauty and the blindness of the approach shot. I actually think it might play better as a par 5, and there is certainly room between the fourteenth green and the current fifteenth tee to add the required length.

Streamsong Red, Hole 15 (tee)

Streamsong Red, Hole 15 (fairway)

Then comes 16, which is my favorite hole on the course, and not just because I hit two of my best tee shots there and have such a fondness for Yale, which almost certainly inspired this Biarritz par 3 over water.

Streamsong Red, Hole 16 (Left) and Streamsong Blue, Hole 7 (Right)

Streamsong Red, Hole 16 (tee)

Streamsong Red, Hole 16 (green, a beautiful Biarritz, with the lodge in the distance)

After my first go around the Red course, I came off saying 14-16 was the best three-hole stretch I've ever played. But on reflection, and after playing the course a second time, I've concluded that 17 and 18 deserve to be grouped with that stretch for one great five-hole finishing stretch. Seventeen is one of the best tee shots on the property, with a bunker running up the right side of the fairway taking the place of water to form a great Cape-style hole (or at least a Cape-style tee shot). The green site is the most tranquil on the property.

Streamsong Red, Hole 17 (looking up the fairway from the beginning of the long bunker framing the right side of the hole)

Streamsong Red, Hole 17 (fairway, right fairway bunker)

Streamsong Red, Hole 17 (green site)

Eighteen is a fun way to end the round, especially after a grueling stretch. The only flaw, as I believe someone here already noted, is that 18 is almost always played into the setting sun, which makes appreciating its beauty (and it is beautiful, especially with the moonscape dunes surrounding the green) difficult.

Streamsong Red, Hole 18 (looking up the left side of the fairway to the green--and into the setting sun)

Streamsong Red, Hole 18 (green site, looking back down the fairway)

In short, the Red course at Streamsong is a great course owing mostly to its collection of individually great holes--and, like all of Streamsong, its beautiful land. Stretches of holes hold together well, but, like many courses where each hole is unique (even if design elements repeat on many of the holes), the course as a whole does not (or certainly not as well as the Blue course). I also found the Red harder to score on than the Blue, no doubt because of the several too-long, too-uphill par 4s.  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:00:16 PM by Benjamin Litman »
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Mark Fedeli

Re: A(nother) Review of Streamsong Red, with Pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 03:32:32 PM »
Benjamin, 8 & 9 Red were my on favorite piece of property at the entire complex. I very much preferred the Blue course overall, but after so much dramatic scenery and contour on both courses (and after getting my butt kicked by the bunkers around 7 green), there was something so quaint and welcoming about that flat little piece of land that 8 and 9 tee sat on.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 03:41:36 PM »
Benjamin, 8 & 9 Red were my on favorite piece of property at the entire complex. I very much preferred the Blue course overall, but after so much dramatic scenery and contour on both courses (and after getting my butt kicked by the bunkers around 7 green), there was something so quaint and welcoming about that flat little piece of land that 8 and 9 tee sat on.

Agree, Mark. The views back up 7 (to the right) and up over 7 (to the left, in the direction of 18 Blue) from 8 tee are also magnificent. One thing I HATED about those holes, however, was the congregation of trucks and other vehicles between 8 and 9. The beverage cart is one thing; all the other stuff needs to go.
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »
Thanks, Benjamin - for me (who has never been there) an excellent tour, and an impressive 14th post. (On my 14th post I was still just clearing my throat!)

I was struck by this: "Stretches of holes hold together well, but, like many courses where each hole is unique (even if design elements repeat on many of the holes), the course as a whole does not (or certainly not as well as the Blue course)."

I'd be interested to read your thoughts on the reasons (in general) why a course 'doesn't hold togther' and (specifically) why Blue does so better than Red.

Also, how important -- as an architectural design 'feature' and as mark of a good routing --  is this 'held together' quality/element for you, especially relative to other such elements as outstanding individual holes.

Peter  

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »
Interesting. Maybe I got lucky. I saw nary a vehicle on either course the entire time I was there.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Daniel Jones

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:18:59 PM »
Great stuff, Benjamin. You and I share an affection for the 4th and 14th. I look forward to your thoughts on the Blue.

K Rafkin

Re: A(nother) Review of Streamsong Red, with Pictures New
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 04:40:55 PM »
Benjamin, thanks for the write up.

Streamsong is terrific, and deserves all the accolades it has received. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 04:44:01 PM by K Rafkin »

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 05:05:23 PM »
Thanks, Benjamin - for me (who has never been there) an excellent tour, and an impressive 14th post. (On my 14th post I was still just clearing my throat!)

I was struck by this: "Stretches of holes hold together well, but, like many courses where each hole is unique (even if design elements repeat on many of the holes), the course as a whole does not (or certainly not as well as the Blue course)."

I'd be interested to read your thoughts on the reasons (in general) why a course 'doesn't hold togther' and (specifically) why Blue does so better than Red.

Also, how important -- as an architectural design 'feature' and as mark of a good routing --  is this 'held together' quality/element for you, especially relative to other such elements as outstanding individual holes.

Peter  

Many thanks for the feedback, Peter. I'm glad someone here is keeping tabs on me. (As for my being a frequent poster so early in my GCA tenure, you have to remember that I've been reading this site for at least six years, so I've been chomping at the bit to actually post stuff.)

Holding Together (in general)

To me at least, a course holds together well, or poorly, by virtue of the consistency, or inconsistency, of the following elements (in no particular order): land forms/topography, visibility of holes from other holes, distance from greens to tees, and design elements. The quality of holding or not holding together has, again to me at least, both a physical and mental effect on the golfer. No doubt the effects are related, as the mental effect (how comfortable you are in your surroundings) contributes directly to the physical effect (how well you're playing, swinging, feeling over the ball).

Notably, this relatedness is also seen in a golfer's chosen means of transporting him/herself around a course. Walking by itself creates a more coherent experience and puts the mind at ease, allowing the golfer to play better. Driving a cart, by contrast, is a bit like jumping from one unique hole to another--there are a lot of starts and stops that interrupt flow and lead to poor play. It's one of the reasons I never take a cart. (I appreciated that Streamsong has Riksha push/pull carts and, as on the Melbourne Sandbelt courses, allows you to roll them across greens. I didn't appreciate that Streamsong charges you to use a Riksha. I usually carry my own bag, but one of my straps was broken, so the Riksha, which I plan to use later in life on a regular basis, came in handy.)

Holding Together (Streamsong Blue versus Red specifically)

Streamsong Blue coheres better as a course than Streamsong Red. With the exception of 7, the Blue's holes have similar feels and flow better from one to the next. Holes 1 and 2, though climbing in opposite directions (1 climbs up, 2 descends down), both do so at a similar, gradual pace. They felt like they went together for me, even if they are different holes. Holes 3-6 also felt like a coherent circuit of holes (unlike holes 1-6 on Red) because they all gradually rise up the same large slope, albeit in a zigzag. The placement of tees immediately next to greens (4 tee is right off the back of 3 green, 5 tee is right off the back of 4 green, 6 tee is right off the back of 5 green) is brilliant and goes a long way to making the holes "fit" together. As I said, hole 7 doesn't really fit, but the opportunity to build a par 3 there was too much to pass up. The out-of-the-mold uniqueness of 7, together with the long walk back over the bridge and up the hill to 8 tee, affects 8 as well, although, visually, the approach to 8 green reintroduces some comfort by reminding the golfer of the approach to 3 green. But then holes 9-12 all share the flattest, meadow-like land on the property (I was reminded a bit of holes 10-12 on Bethpage Black), and the shared property and sight lines help the golfer get comfortable again and develop a rhythm. Hole 13, though great, feels a bit on its own as well, but another cohesive grouping occurs from 14-18. I'll say more about the cohesiveness of the Blue course when I post my course review, hopefully within the next week.

Relative Significance of the Holding-Together Factor

In terms of the relative significance of a course holding together, it is very high on my list. To take an extreme example, those courses (e.g., "Renditions" in Maryland) that replicate great holes from throughout the world don't hold together at all--almost by definition. To be sure, Streamsong Red is nothing like those courses, but the point is that where the transition between individual holes is too abrupt, it interrupts my experience of a course. I'm fine when the transition occurs after a group of holes, but when the transitions come regularly (e.g., after every hole, or every two holes), I am affected negatively. NGLA and Yale obviously replicate great holes, too, although they do so from places with shared topography and, more important, the sites on which NGLA and Yale are built, and the proximity and visibility of holes at both courses, produce a better flow. At Streamsong Red, with the lone exceptions of 14-15 and 7-9, you never see one hole from the previous hole. Then when you show up at the next hole, after walking around a bend or up a dune, you're a bit taken aback because it looks and plays so differently from the hole you just played (and, visually, you were unable to preview it while playing the previous hole). It's hard to establish a rhythm, physically or mentally, that way.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the lack of cohesion on the Red course ruins it. It holds together better than some other courses I've played, but it certainly holds together less well than the Blue course. I think that goes a long way to explaining why I played and scored better on the Blue course. I very much enjoyed the Red course and plan to play it again many times, but I felt more at ease and had more fun on the Blue course. I concede that design elements, for purposes of offering up new challenges, should sometimes take a golfer out of his comfort zone, but that doesn't change the fact that doing so makes the golfer literally uncomfortable. Kingston Heath holds together brilliantly, and that coherence, or intimacy, is largely what accounts for its very high ranking. It has great individual holes, but you remember the feel and experience of playing there more than the holes themselves. I felt the same way about Streamsong Blue, even though, like Kingston Heath, it has some great holes. With Streamsong Red, by contrast, I remember the individual holes first. There are some truly great holes, but I prefer the memory of one seamless overall experience than the memory of several individually great experiences.

Just my opinion, to be sure, but I think it has merit.

Joe Zucker

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 06:12:20 PM »
Tremendous post Benjamin.  On the point of holding together, I agree with you that the Blue does so better in part because you are often visibly surrounded by other holes on the course.  This characteristic gives it an intangible feel that made it more enjoyable in my opinion.  I didn't think the holes on the Red looked/played that much different from each other, but the fact that you have to walk through a dune to the next tee does break the flow.

I love courses like the Blue or TOC where the next hole's tee markers look like they were just left on the ground next to the green by the greenskeepers.  The next tee is not on a pedestal for you to walk up.

Once again, very interesting analysis on Streamsong.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 06:18:28 PM »
Blue is already out of the top 100? Just looked at the link and the Blue wasn't on the last Golf Digest list.  I'm a little disappointed to see that one of my favorites, Harbor Town has dropped out of the top 100 but.............,,

Are these lists really worth the paper they are written on? It's all subjective
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 06:35:32 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »
Tremendous post Benjamin.  On the point of holding together, I agree with you that the Blue does so better in part because you are often visibly surrounded by other holes on the course.  This characteristic gives it an intangible feel that made it more enjoyable in my opinion.  I didn't think the holes on the Red looked/played that much different from each other, but the fact that you have to walk through a dune to the next tee does break the flow.

I love courses like the Blue or TOC where the next hole's tee markers look like they were just left on the ground next to the green by the greenskeepers.  The next tee is not on a pedestal for you to walk up.

Once again, very interesting analysis on Streamsong.

Many thanks, Joe. I agree that the Red held together reasonably well (in look and playability); I was just saying that, by comparison to the Blue, it didn't. I think most would agree that Royal Melbourne would be ranked even higher than it already is if the course being ranked were the Composite course, not the West course. To me, the principal reason why is that you don't have to cross roads and open gates to play the Composite course--i.e., it literally holds together better. Sure, you also get the best holes from the East course added in, but first and foremost you get the better and more seamless feel and experience by being on a single plot of land.

The irony about the tee-close-to-green point, of course, is the first tee on Blue. But, like the 7th hole on Blue, the opportunity was too good to pass up--the view up there is stunning (and I hit my three best tee shots of the week from there, no doubt helped by having a Scottish starter (Colin) to get me in the mood to golf).

Paul Gray

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 07:18:15 PM »
Blue is already out of the top 100? Just looked at the link and the Blue wasn't on the last Golf Digest list.  I'm a little disappointed to see that one of my favorites, Harbor Town has dropped out of the top 100 but.............,,

Are these lists really worth the paper they are written on? It's all subjective

As a Brit that's never played golf on your side of the pond I wouldn't like to be specific about rankings but 100th? Really?

I think subjective might be too polite a term. Some people really aren't self aware enough to have any sense of shame.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Joe Zucker

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 07:48:28 PM »
Yes, just as you said in the original post, the Red certainly holds together well and has a great feel.  But when you compare it to the seamlessness of the blue (other than #7), it is just more apparent.   

I haven't been lucky enough to play Royal Melbourne, but I know what you mean about crossing the roads.  Pine Needles is the same way.  While a great course that has a fantastic feel, it does stink to cross the road a few times.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »
Is crossing a road that big a deal?   Two of the best courses I've played, NGLA and Mid Ocean, cross roads and never an issue.  I would never think to downgrade a course because you have to cross a road.   Stanford and Cypress Point are other pretty good courses with road crossings. 

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 08:01:53 PM »
Is crossing a road that big a deal?   Two of the best courses I've played, NGLA and Mid Ocean, cross roads and never an issue.  I would never think to downgrade a course because you have to cross a road.   Stanford and Cypress Point are other pretty good courses with road crossings. 

Fair point, Bill. I'm not downgrading Royal Melbourne (West) for having to cross several roads; I'm simply saying that the experience would be even better without the road crossings, if that makes sense. I'm not familiar with Mid Ocean, but the road crossings at NGLA and Shinnecock--both fairway crossings over narrow, two-lane roads--are very different than the ones at Royal Melbourne (which involve massive, electronically controlled gates and button pushing).

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 08:09:19 PM »

Fair point, Bill. I'm not downgrading Royal Melbourne (West) for having to cross several roads; I'm simply saying that the experience would be even better without the road crossings, if that makes sense. I'm not familiar with Mid Ocean, but the road crossings at NGLA and Shinnecock--both fairway crossings over narrow, two-lane roads--are very different than the ones at Royal Melbourne (which involve massive, electronically controlled gates and button pushing).

Well there you go.  Royal Melbourne is an experience I've yet to savor.  Hopefully they provide all the right codes, which I'd probably forget.  ;D

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »
Although Royal Melbourne, like all the other great Australian and UK courses, provides one key thing NGLA and Shinnecock do not: public access.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 08:26:08 AM »
Benjamin - excellent post no. 7, thanks.

I'll be curious to play those courses one day. I find that a 'wholeness of experience' is important to me too, and I don't mind so-called breather/connecting holes if it means the round is flowing. Also, I'm not sure I can really tell the difference between a good hole and a great one, so I guess I'm more prepared than most to accept less than 'great' individual holes if it means a more satisfying journey. But many golfers -- and ever more in the modern world of brand-building and photos and internet clicks, architects themselves -- don't want to pass up the money shot, ever.

Peter

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:49:44 AM by PPallotta »

Josh Tarble

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 09:07:53 AM »

Streamsong Blue coheres better as a course than Streamsong Red.

Very nice review and I agree with all of it.  I also like you're "holding it together" post.

You're quote above really sums up my feeling as well.  For the reason above, I think the Red course has the best holes on the property but I think the Blue is the better course.

I don't really know why I feel that way, but there is something about the Blue course I love.  And while I can't wait to play individual holes on the Red (all the way through) I don't immediately want to turn around and play it again. 

Dan Kelly

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
Keep this stuff up, Mr. Litman, and you're a shoo-in for Rookie of the Year.

Not sure I agree with all of your general observations in Post No. 7 (for me, one fine hole after another is the essence of the journey), but you've articulated your view beautifully -- and I concur completely about the difference between courses walked and courses carted. (I'm never quite sure where I *am* on a cartball course.)

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 02:07:25 PM »
Keep this stuff up, Mr. Litman, and you're a shoo-in for Rookie of the Year.

Not sure I agree with all of your general observations in Post No. 7 (for me, one fine hole after another is the essence of the journey), but you've articulated your view beautifully -- and I concur completely about the difference between courses walked and courses carted. (I'm never quite sure where I *am* on a cartball course.)

Dan

Many thanks, Dan. I actually agree with you that one fine hole after another is the essence of the journey. All I was saying is that the journey is enhanced when the holes flow better from one to the next. Very simple tweaks--like Tom's masterful placement of tees immediately next to greens on the Blue course (especially holes 3-6)--can make a big difference in that regard.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 07:53:40 PM »
The only real question left... Who gets to build #3?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 10:20:29 PM »
The only real question left... Who gets to build #3?

The answer's in the second paragraph of my post:  "The resort will no doubt continue to improve and grow (Gil Hanse sat next to us at dinner on our last night and is apparently in line to build the third course on the property by the end of 2016), but everything is pretty amazing as is."

Benjamin Litman

Re: A(nother) Review of Streamsong Red, with Pictures New
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 02:38:41 PM »
Interesting: Golf Digest just released a new ranking for public courses in Florida, and Streamsong Red has displaced Sawgrass at the top. Sawgrass is now second, following by Streamsong Blue.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2015-01/75-best-public-golf-courses-in-florida
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:42:22 PM by Benjamin Litman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back