News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

There's a side note in the 1920 Annual Guide regarding Lakeview CC that notes the newly formed club had taken over the grounds of the Grand Rapids CC (the club history has this as the Grand Rapids GC) and that a new 18 hole course would be ready for play in the spring of 1921, purportedly to be built by Willie Park and Jack Daray.

The club was later renamed Cascade Hills CC, and their club history only cites Daray as the original architect.  The club history may be a bit murky due to (you guessed it) a clubhouse fire.

The timing for Park's involvement certainly fits with other work he was doing in the Midwest around this time.  

If anyone has any further information to add on Cascade Hills/Lakeview, please chime in.

Sven
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:54:21 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

BCowan

Re: Cascade Hills CC (fka Lakeview CC) - Grand Rapids - Willie Park?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 03:29:09 PM »
I am trying to figure this one out too.  I corresponded with someone at Grand Rapids CC on FB, they are closing their doors.  They are managing another area course, named English Hills.   The few photos that I have seen looks as though it has good land movement, but covered with ugly trees.  Has anyone played GRCC? Does anyone know what is going to come of it?  Does it have good bones?

We (GRCC) are moving our business to an already existing English Hills. GRCC has closed permanently. Not sure what will become of the land. Frederik Meijer Foundation has owned the land since 2005. We would love to see you at English Hills in the spring!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:30:55 PM by BCowan »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 04:01:53 PM »
BCowan,

Sorry I didn't have answers previously on this matter. I still don't, but what was referred to as "GRCC" was actually the previous Grand Rapids Golf Course, which was previously known as Elk Terra, I believe. It was a wagon-wheel type routing, and 27 holes if I remember correctly. I think it was built and owned by a local family(Krampe?) originally. It closed several years ago for a season or two, then re-opened. Apparently it is now closing for good?

English Hills isn't much. A short 18 hole course known more for hosting banquets than it is for golf.

Either way, it didn't have any lineage that is worth noting.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

BCowan

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 04:05:53 PM »
Meijer Gardens took over ownership of the property. They do not want it to be a golf course any longer. As far as I know, they are just going to let it go to seed.

I talked to what I believe was former owner/manager there on FB.  This is what he said.  Thanks Joe. 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grand-Rapids-Country-Club/160648979967

Chris DeToro

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 05:49:42 PM »
Everything I've heard/read about Cascade is that it is a Park course. 

GRCC was never much from what I understood.  Sort of a funky location right off of the highway.  There isn't a ton of great golf, or really golf in general, in the GR area, so for it to close must not say much about it

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back