News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

... under Courses by Country and Architecture Timeline.

Gozzer Ranch, Rock Creek and LACC share little in common except that these are the three most recent courses we have profiled. Ordinarily a parkland venue surrounded by tall buildings would be severely disadvantaged if juxtaposed with those first two stunners … but wait ‘til you see the LACC photographs! Geoff Shackelford and I had the quintessentially perfect California morning for grabbing great pix. Plus, Geoff had gobs of back-ups for any shortfall. Suffice to say, for texture, interesting hazards, and terrain, LACC is well-nigh impossible to beat for visual appeal.

What about the golf? I love George Thomas the way Tommy N loves Max Behr. Some days, I think that there has never been anyone better than the dynamic duo of Thomas and Bell. The morning I was at LACC was so good that Geoff actually wanted to stop taking pictures and play golf – a first for him and a supreme compliment on the course’s transformation over the past five years.

Later, at the Hotel Shangri La rooftop bar with its sweeping views of Santa Monica beach and pier, Tommy, Geoff and I gabbed about architecture like old hens – life doesn’t get any more fun. Eventually, our conversation turned to LACC and its position in the California hierarchy. An “off the cuff” match against Pebble ensued and the not unexpected result is detailed below. I say ‘not unexpected’ because LA North has been transformed into a bullet- proof match play venue; every hole is really good - and goes up from there! Gone are the days when it would likely lose holes 1, 2, 6, 12, and/or 18. Meanwhile, Pebble lumbers along with misses, especially on the inward nine at holes 11, 12, 15, and 17.

The following was the general consensus among the three of us (Geoff largely abstained due to overt bias):

Pebble vs. LACC

1.     LACC 1 up
2.     LACC 1 up
3.     LACC 2 up
4.     LACC 2 up
5.     LACC 1 up
6.     All square
7.     PB 1 up
8.     PB 2 up
9.     PB 3 up
10.   PB 4 up
11.   PB 3 up
12.   PB 2 up
13.   PB 1 up
14.   All square
15.   LACC 1up
16.   LACC 2 up
17.   LACC 3 up
18.   LACC 2 up

I bore my friends with this exercise all the time. Joe Andriole obstinately - and continually - mutters that it means nothing. Still, I consider it fun and instructive to use the match play method as a course barometer.

Jimmy Demaret once described Cypress as the best 17 hole course in the world; maybe LACC should now be known as the world’s best 19 hole course now that Fowler’s Little 17  :o has been restored!

A tidbit that I learned on this trip is that LACC is often 6-9 degrees warmer than Riviera, which is situated closer to the chilly Pacific. That sunnier, warmer clime helps Greenkeeper Russ Myers perfect  ‘bouncy -bouncy’ conditions at LACC that fully reveal the brilliance of the Thomas design. IMO, if you bookend LA and Riviera, none of the Old Guard cities (London, New York, Melbourne, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Cleveland) have two world top 20 courses that compete with the two in ‘the city of angels.’

Dan Wexler’s tandem works Missing Links and Lost Links, published during this web site’s infancy, portray a sad tale of the state of golf in California. Ocean courses have gone missing, great holes lost and strategy obliterated. Over the past dozen or so years California has undergone a mini-renaissance with bright spots at new courses like Rustic Canyon and Barona Creek. More importantly, California Golf Club of San Francisco, SFGC, The Olympic Club, The Meadow Club, Wilshire, Pasatiempo, Claremont and the Valley Club of Montecito are all better than they have been in decades, thanks to sympathetic restorations. High-end golf has taken a marked turn for the better and Ronald Reagan, a past LACC member would approve. ‘Top down’ works in architecture: golf flourishes only when its top tier is at its optimum. Prominent clubs, those with history and courses of architectural substance, must lead because they are in an ideal position to demonstrate that golf isn’t just a good sport, it’s a GREAT sport. 

Once a year or so, GolfClubAtlas profiles transformational work. Sleepy Hollow was highlighted in 2007, Cal Club two years later, Old Town a few months ago and now LACC.  We hope to add Maidstone next year. Readers may recall how I unabashedly gushed on in a similar manner about what I witnessed at The Country Club last summer, a parkland layout that had morphed spectacularly to virtual perfection. The restorer? Gil Hanse. His name is attached to more of these monumental restorations than any other architect. Coincidence? I think not. Hanse Design has the ability and patience to build the requisite ‘quiet consensus‘ at clubs so that the full scope of a project is approved rather than piecemeal work. LACC ‘s phenomenal metamorphosis is an exemplary result. 

Have a look at its profile and see if you agree or tell me what I missed. Golf in the City of Los Angeles is back in the biggest way. The Walker Cup match in September 2017 on a yellow, firm running course will manifest the very best of golf, golf architecture, maintenance - and restoration.

Best,

Lynn_Shackelford

Re: Updated Los Angeles Country Club North Course profile is posted ...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 02:45:33 PM »
Two obvious errors in your match.

#4 at Pebble is slightly better than the fine par 3 4th at LACC.
#5 at LACC is superior to the 5th at Pebble.
I would halve #6.
Otherwise your match is pretty acceptable.

The change in L.A. is a mixed bag.  Few other clubs are changing much.  Lakeside has done some great things with Todd Eckenrode, but hasn't yet gone far enough.  Riviera has slipped a bit architecturally along with Bel Air.  Bel Air did change their fairway turf and that has been an improvement.  The local clubs and courses are mostly using local designers who, if I may say, are not of the quality that the rest of the country now offers.
Their work is outstanding, but I don't count Valley Club and Barona as Los Angeles area facilities.  It is a strange environment, little recognition is being given to the amazing work at LACC(not counting the USGA, an eastern group of folks).  The city struggles with progress.  Not being able to build a new football stadium is just one example.  There are numerous clubs and public courses where a restoration could be a huge impact on the quality of golf, but little seems to be in the works.
You should know that the South Course at LACC will now also be redone by the Gil Hanse team.  I have no doubt that it will become a gem, but maybe I am biased?
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 03:48:31 PM »
Ran & Lynn,

Happy to see your comments on LACC, a venue I still haven't ever seen but look forward to visiting for the next Walker Cup on this side of the pond.

Tim Weiman

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 03:57:01 PM »
Thanks, Ran for a terrific profile on one of my Top Five ever played.  I've played it a handful of times, but only pre-restoration, so the restoration photos and description have left me gobsmacked.  Wow, it looks so much better, so much more open, so much more consistent in bunker design and better in every possible way. 

I've long held that an LA golf trip is one of the great trips in America.  Just think about it, you fly into LAX, get a room at the Peninsula in Beverly Hills, right near Sunset and Wilshire and drive a couple blocks to the front gate of LACC, where 36 holes of great golf awaits, right in the middle of urban heaven.  After one day there, you just go the other way on Sunset and play Riviera, which despite some of the bunker re-do machinations, is still a phenomenal golf course.  Then you can spend the next day over at Wilshire, which is a terrific golf course and a remarkably welcoming place.  I don't need to dwell on the nightlife possibilities in LA, but they are plentiful.

I could go on and on, but I think I'll just try to find some time in February to get this trip done again.  Thanks for the motivation.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Trey Kemp

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »
Great review, thanks Ran! 
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Jack Davis

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 05:23:26 PM »
Ran,

Wonderful write up and pictures. Any club thinking about a restoration of their Golden Age design should visit LACC and see their results. Reading this profile and seeing the stunning holes makes me want to get on a plane today. Looks to be one of the most impressive routings and use of property I've seen. Remarkable.

Jack
Jack Davis, PGA
Essex County Club

Charlie Ray

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 05:50:22 PM »
LACC North looks wonderful.  Not to nitpick, but after all the praise for RM over the past few days,  is there anyway to eliminate the rough separating the greenside bunkers from the putting surface?   

Brad Hill

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »
Visually, what an improvement.  Playability? A guy can dream.  I don't understand why over time they softened the edges of the bunkers. Ease of maintenance? Laziness?

Charlie, it  would seem to me that removing the rough between the bunkers and green would detract from what the GH team was  trying to achieve. The playability would change dramatically, one would assume. And talk about a pain in the, you know what, to keep that grass at your desired length.

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 07:36:27 PM »
Visually, what an improvement.  Playability? A guy can dream.  I don't understand why over time they softened the edges of the bunkers. Ease of maintenance? Laziness?

Charlie, it  would seem to me that removing the rough between the bunkers and green would detract from what the GH team was  trying to achieve. The playability would change dramatically, one would assume. And talk about a pain in the, you know what, to keep that grass at your desired length.

Also RM and the Australian sand belt have a very unique soil composition (I believe). It's very difficult to recreate that same sharp edge without it collapsing.

I was able to play the "new" LA North in May, having played it once before the renovation. Phenomenal! It's a top 5 course for me and maybe the most complete in what it offers for golfers of all skill levels . The routing is masterful, but you don't even realize it when you're out there how complicated (and interesting!) the property is. Great updated profile!

Brian Finn

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »
Thanks, Ran for a terrific profile on one of my Top Five ever played.  I've played it a handful of times, but only pre-restoration, so the restoration photos and description have left me gobsmacked.  Wow, it looks so much better, so much more open, so much more consistent in bunker design and better in every possible way.  

I've long held that an LA golf trip is one of the great trips in America.  Just think about it, you fly into LAX, get a room at the Peninsula in Beverly Hills, right near Sunset and Wilshire and drive a couple blocks to the front gate of LACC, where 36 holes of great golf awaits, right in the middle of urban heaven.  After one day there, you just go the other way on Sunset and play Riviera, which despite some of the bunker re-do machinations, is still a phenomenal golf course.  Then you can spend the next day over at Wilshire, which is a terrific golf course and a remarkably welcoming place.  I don't need to dwell on the nightlife possibilities in LA, but they are plentiful.

I could go on and on, but I think I'll just try to find some time in February to get this trip done again.  Thanks for the motivation.

Count me in!   ;D
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 08:34:35 AM »
Ran,
I really wish you had waited another week or so before posting this.  I have a couple of friends playing there today and could have done without the reminder (on the bright side, I'll hopefully watch Louisville knock off Florida State tonight).  I've been fortunate to play there since the restoration, and the profile is as good as any you've done. 

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 09:23:58 AM »
An excellent profile, Ran. Thank you for posting.

I know that LACC is supposed to be a very difficult golf course, but when I look at Ran's photos all I can think of is that it just looks flat out fun.

I particularly enjoyed the before-after photographs. The tree and brush removal worked wonders to unearth the natural movement in the property!
H.P.S.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 09:31:05 AM »
I agree with the comments above, great pictures Ran ;D
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 03:23:33 PM »
... but when I look at Ran's photos all I can think of is that it just looks flat out fun.

... and it is.  I think what impressed me the most was that it indeed was quite fun, but also quite the challenge to score on.  To me that's just about always a good sign and lends itself to the great courses out there.

Excellent profile Ran!  Thanks as always.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tom Birkert

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
Great... Now I have to figure out a way to get over to Los Angeles.

What an amazing looking course.

BCrosby

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
Tom -

LACC North is worth a trip. It exceeded my already high expectations.

I hope all goes well.

Bob

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 01:00:59 PM »
Ran,

Your reviews are always insightful, but, what makes # 11 at PBGC a weak hole ?

Gene Greco

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 02:16:31 PM »
Ran,

Your reviews are always insightful, but, what makes # 11 at PBGC a weak hole ?

I think its a good hole.
Drive it to the right side of the fairway and getting the approach close is very difficult. Furthermore, getting the ball to just stay on the green becomes quite a challenge.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

JC Jones

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 11:02:20 AM »
Oh my.

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 03:11:07 PM »
I visited the course before the work, walked it during the renovation with Gil (about 50% complete) and now look forward to a return trip.

It was a great place to play before, too many trees, but some excellent golf.
It's far more interesting course than it was, such an amazing transformation in the valley holes and terrific detailing throughout.
-

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back