News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Fedeli

Going to California... and Pasa!
« on: August 26, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
I'm spending a week in central & northern Cali with my lady and she has been kind enough to grant me the morning tomorrow to play Pasatiempo. It will be my first Mackenzie and--as I am such a huge fan of Spirit of St. Andrews--I am super freaking excited. I'm glad it's lining up so nicely with the renewed discussion of it on the site.

If anyone is around I'm playing at 7am tomorrow. Still spots left at $165. And if the $50 drought voucher is transferable, I'll be happy to pass it along since I won't be back any time soon.

We are also spending a few days in Sea Ranch and I'll be able to sneak a couple rounds in there as well. I've read some good stuff on here about how it can be quite good fun when playing fast and firm. Also really wanted to get one in at Pacific Grove, since I'm a sucker for an interesting muni, but we're no longer staying right nearby.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:36:32 PM by Mark Fedeli »
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

David_Tepper

Re: Going to California... and Pasa!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:46:50 PM »
"We are also spending a few days in Sea Ranch and I'll be able to sneak a couple rounds in there as well."

Mark  F. -

I hope you enjoy you time at Sea Ranch, one of my favorite "getaway" spots from San Francisco. The course there is walkable, although there are a few green to tee hikes on the nine east of Highway 1. There is also some local knowledge required on creeks/barrancas running across some of the fairways. Ask if they have a course guide sheet describing the holes.

I have not been up there is a number of years, but I recall the sand in many of the bunkers being very coarse, more like pebbles and gravel than sand. You may want to bring along an old sand wedge to use when you play there.

Enjoy both Pasa and Sea Ranch.

DT     

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »
Don't know if you've done it before, Mark, but the drive from San Francisco to Sea Ranch is spectacular in itself.  Enjoy!

Fort Ross is on the way, site of the southernmost Russian excursion into California for fur trading.  Jenner is a nice town at the mouth of the Russian River.   Nice little town. 

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:15:30 PM »
David, when we heard the story of Sea Ranch and its architecture we knew we had to go. Right up our alley. And luckily, my sand wedge is an oil can Vokey from 2006. I look forward to any opportunity to impart more "personality" onto it.

Bill, I've not been to Northern or Central California at all before, so this whole trip is pretty mind blowing already. Fort Ross is definitely on the agenda.

Thank you, both.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:52:10 PM »
David, when we heard the story of Sea Ranch and its architecture we knew we had to go. Right up our alley. And luckily, my sand wedge is an oil can Vokey from 2006. I look forward to any opportunity to impart more "personality" onto it.

Bill, I've not been to Northern or Central California at all before, so this whole trip is pretty mind blowing already. Fort Ross is definitely on the agenda.

Thank you, both.

Enjoy, Mark, it will be a great trip!   Please share your experience when you are home. 

Keith Grande

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:49:59 AM »
Mark, you will not be disappointed in Pasatiempo!  If the course is as dry as has been reported, beware being above the hole!

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:17:44 AM »
Mark -

Take your time driving out there and enjoy the sites.

A fun pm activity - following your round at PT - is to take the Roaring Camp Railroad from Felton, CA (VERY close to PT) through the redwoods to the Santa Cruz boardwalk. It's one of the last operating steam trains in the nation and the open-air cars are a pure delight.

Go to top of Santa Cruz Mountains from Felton and visit Bonny Doon Winery! (Empire Grade, then drive down the back side to the coast to the town of Davenport.)

En route from SF to Sea Ranch, there are a ton of places to visit. In no specific order:

1. Muir Woods and the Pelican Inn - great place for lunch
2. the town of Bolinas
3. Stinson Beach
4. Point Reyes
5. Bodega Bay - very cool RTJ course
6. Rent kayaks in Jenner and go up the river a bit if weather is good.

From Santa Cruz to SF, you will also pass:

1. Half Moon Bay - but resist temptation to play either golf course.
2. Sharp Park in Pacifica - a Mackenzie design right on the coast that may be on its way to being restored. (??? David T?)

If you want to blow away your gal, go to Manka's in Inverness (near PT. Reyes) She will let you play one more time if you go there, even if it's just for dinner. Trust me!

Enjoy!

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 10:34:22 AM »
Ian M. -

While we are hoping Sharp Park will be renovated/restored in the coming years, no work has started yet or is anticipated to start in the next 6-12 months.

There was a fire at Manka's a few years ago that badly damaged the restaurant. The chefs that ran the restaurant are now at a place called "Sir & Star" in nearby Olema. I believe the rooms at the Lodge at Manka's are still available for overnite stays.

www.mankas.com

DT

P.S. Greetings from Dornoch! ;)  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:05:17 AM by David_Tepper »

JLahrman

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 11:20:40 AM »
Point Reyes was my favorite day trip from San Francisco.

If I started heading up to play golf at Sea Ranch, and decided to stop at Point Reyes...I doubt I would make it to Sea Ranch.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 11:48:41 AM »

Mark, you will not be disappointed in Pasatiempo! 

Completely agree.
And, I would suggest playing 36

If the course is as dry as has been reported, beware being above the hole!

More good advice.

Let us know your thoughts after you play.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 12:09:46 PM »
I'm spending a week in central & northern Cali with my lady and she has been kind enough to grant me the morning tomorrow to play Pasatiempo.

lucky...

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 12:19:13 PM »
Drought voucher?

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 01:11:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. We're actually hitting up almost everything you've all listed. We have a full 8 days between San Simeon and Sea Ranch and we're on the move pretty much every night.

Pasatiempo was a great experience. I got out at 7am and had the course completely to myself.

As far as conditioning... everyone I met on the staff apologized profusely for it. I wish they instead talked up the value of fast & firm and some of Mack's philosophies on it. It's as good a time as any to try to educate. There were some definite grassless bare spots on the fairways, but the ground was far from concrete, and was nicely receptive to the club head.

Being out early, I had the grounds crew with me on pretty much every hole, so I saw a lot of maintenance. The vast majority of the watering I saw was being done to rough behind the greenside bunkers—which makes sense given how much more difficult that shot would be off a bare lie. That said, it was still a little surprising to see so much aqua being put into the longer grass. In fact, I thought the conditioning around certain greens was a bit too perfect with the edges of the bunkers too clean. Would have loved to have seen some more scruffiness in some places. Small complaint.

The course was a blast to play. I really enjoyed myself. A great mix of holes and a lot of variety. I particularly loved the movement of the fairways and how they played wide and forgiving while still running your ball off the slopes. Maybe I just played well, but even my off-line shots had solid avenues of recovery. Similarly, terrific movement short of the greens that allowed run ups.

I did not find the greens unfair, and would love to spend my days trying to learn every nook and cranny, but there were a couple borderline situations out there. The front right fall-off on the 18th green is nuts since the entire right side already slopes severely down to it. They had the pin middle right and my tee shot was 20 feet left of the flag. I played a solid 8 feet of break and miraculously made the putt. I threw another one down for fun and with a smidge more pace that putt missed the hole and wound up in hell. I'd say that's unfair, but crazy putts are my favorite thing in golf (and i made the first one for birdie), so I won't.

As has been mentioned here, #6 feels like it's a different course. Ironic that it's where Mack's house is. When you come upon it, the trees feel so sudden and shockingly out-of-place. Visually, the tee shot is a funky mess compared to the rest. I think it's even obvious in my picture:

A couple more photos:

John Cowden

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 08:46:12 PM »
Thanks for your report, Mark.  Pasatiempo is indeed a treasure and a treat.  As for no.6 tee shot, I guess I'm just used to it.  Your photo doesn't show the fairway bunker on the left at about 250, or maybe that's just a function of Mackenzie's camouflage.  Regardless, that's my focus on that shot, although your photo does present the trees as a prominent  feature.  Interestingly, I once read that the right bunker your photo shows was intended as an aiming point for the no. 5 tee shot.  I'm not at all sure that is, in fact, correct, or even makes sense, but there you have it.  I'm delighted you enjoyed the course. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »
I have always felt the tee shot on 6 has more room that it looks like from the tee.  It ce brat only looks tight in that photo. 

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »
Yeah, it looks crowded but I did come away thinking there was more room on 6 than appeared from the tee. The right to left slope adds width since it carries your ball away from the trees. I hit a fade up the right and it wound up in the middle of the fairway with no threat at all from the left bunker.

I had the far middle left pin position, tucked behind the corner of the bunker, which I thought was really cool and added a nice ending.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 01:13:13 AM »

I have always felt the tee shot on 6 has more room that it looks like from the tee.  It ce brat only looks tight in that photo. 

Bill,

That's true and it's not true.

So much depends upon ball flight.

The DZ is brilliantly protected by the slope of the right side of the fairway and the left side bunker.
Drive after drive, hit with any kind of draw usually ends up in the left side bunker.
Drives hit straight, but to the right side of the fairway also end up in that bunker.
Fades seem to be the drive of choice if avoidance of that bunker is to be achieved.
But, fades can be dicey if they get away from you and fades into the wind lose distance.
While it's not a hole that demands "distance" we all tend to prefer shorter approach shots into greens.

And, it is intimidating.

That's a scarey tee shot to most.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 01:15:00 AM »
Mark,

Do you have any photos of # 3, 5, 8, 10, 11 ?

Any other holes.

How about the tee shot on # 16 ?

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 02:35:45 AM »
Pat, I have iPhone pics of every hole. Not the greatest but I'll post what I've got. I didn't get anything usable from #3 or #5, but here's #2:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:16:22 AM by Mark Fedeli »

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 02:59:17 AM »
#4:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:26:52 AM by Mark Fedeli »

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 03:30:30 AM »
#8:

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 04:02:45 AM »
Obligatory shot of my approach on #9:

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 04:10:34 AM »
Along with #2, #12 was one of my favorites on the course:

Brilliant green complex on #13:

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 04:27:34 AM »
#15:

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 10:09:16 AM »

Bill,

That's true and it's not true.

So much depends upon ball flight.

The DZ is brilliantly protected by the slope of the right side of the fairway and the left side bunker.
Drive after drive, hit with any kind of draw usually ends up in the left side bunker.
Drives hit straight, but to the right side of the fairway also end up in that bunker.
Fades seem to be the drive of choice if avoidance of that bunker is to be achieved.
But, fades can be dicey if they get away from you and fades into the wind lose distance.
While it's not a hole that demands "distance" we all tend to prefer shorter approach shots into greens.

And, it is intimidating.

That's a scarey tee shot to most.

Please refer to Mark's post above.  That's how I have always played the hole for over 50 years.  You don't mess with the bunker.  Had either you or any of your group played the hole before?   The line of instinct is to take on the bunker, while the line of charm is right center.   

I'm giving you a break this time and not calling you a moron.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back