News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Pasatiempo is a gem
« on: July 23, 2014, 06:38:25 PM »
We're escaping to Carmel for vacation next week.  It's not intended as a "golf trip," per se, which I recognize is a sin.

But I do have a 7:10 a.m. tee time at Pasatiempo on Tuesday, July  29.  If anyone is going to be in (or from) the area and wants to join me, please let me know.  The greens fee is $165.  

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:34:17 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Eric Smith

Re: OT: Pasatiempo - Tuesday, July 29
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 06:51:42 PM »
I wish. We were there the other day and found the golf course to be looking and playing terrific. Enjoy!

John McCarthy

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »
Eric:  wow.  Just wow.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tom Allen

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 08:34:58 AM »
Howard, enjoy and give us a full report when you return!  That course is on my to-play list for sure.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:47:34 AM »
Two days later and I am in town. I am going to try and play there on my way to Monterey the 31st.
Mr Hurricane

BShannon

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 12:23:33 PM »
Howard,

Enjoy yourself out there. Will we be treated to some photos of the "new" Pasatiempo?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:48:19 PM »
I wish. We were there the other day and found the golf course to be looking and playing terrific. Enjoy!

Thanks for whetting my appetite!

Two days later and I am in town. I am going to try and play there on my way to Monterey the 31st.

Sorry I'll miss you by a few days.

Howard, enjoy and give us a full report when you return!  That course is on my to-play list for sure.

I certainly will.  

Howard,

Enjoy yourself out there. Will we be treated to some photos of the "new" Pasatiempo?

I'm sure I can make that work! In the meantime, its website has a great display of before/after of the work done by Mssrs. Doak and Urbina:

http://www.pasatiempo.com/restoration
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Steve Green

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 11:34:59 PM »
Howard,

Just played there last Thursday.  Was on our way to a wedding and made a deal with the powers that be to play Pasatiempo.  Had the good fortune to be paired with some members and their willingness to share their knowledge of the course made for a great day.  Drought has the place playing firm and fast.  Overall had a great day on a fantastic course.  Can't wait to play again.

Enjoy and let us know about your day.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Howard Riefs

Re: Pasatiempo is a gem
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 03:43:18 PM »
Simply put, I loved Pasatiempo.  The wonderful green sites.  Routing through the barranca on the back nine.  Hilly terrain. The scenic par 3s. The course history with Hollins and MacKenie.  The restoration work by Doak and Urbina.  Below are a handful of photos.  

The only regret was that the Hollins House didn't open until 4 pm and we couldn't enjoy a drink on the porch while looking out over the front nine and the ocean in the distance.  That's the vantage point from the first photo below.  

457 yards

214 yards

378 yards

190 yards (#4 in distance)

Plaque for the MacKenzie home located on the left side of fairway

348 yards

176 yards

500 yards

440 yards

392 yards

373 yards

426 yards

141 yards

387 yards

169 yards

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:20:02 PM by Howard Riefs »

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 03:58:45 PM »
My ball always ends up there on #14!  ;D

Thanks for the pics, Howard.  It's the first up close images I've seen of Pasa since the water restrictions have taken place.  Did you find any really unplayable areas in the fairways, or just firmer/brown/tight lies?

Greg Taylor

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 04:37:56 PM »
Wonderful.

A GCA classic...!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 04:42:16 PM »

Thanks for the pics, Howard.  It's the first up close images I've seen of Pasa since the water restrictions have taken place.  Did you find any really unplayable areas in the fairways, or just firmer/brown/tight lies?

I thought I hit a perfect drive on #14.  I knew about the vertical swale on the left side but not the one that cut across the fairway. 

The course overall is very playable. The starter tells players about the water restrictions.  The grass from the tees to fairway (see photo of #7) receive minimal water and are brown as to be expected.  There are some splotchy areas in fairways that I found a couple times such as the landing zone on #4 and near the fairway bunker on #9.  Nothing dire and the starter told me to just play winter rules. 

The greens were perfect and rolled true. I managed to putt off of #11 (from back left to a center right pin) and #18 (from left edge to a front pin) much to my dismay. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 04:47:36 PM »

The swale on 14 is really not a problem. All balls settle in the bottom and it's a great angle into the green from down there.

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 05:06:55 PM »
Awesome pictures, Howard. A really enjoyable tour.
H.P.S.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 05:21:01 PM »
Howard I putted off 11 too - easily done!

The greens were superb when I played - condition and overall as complexes.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 05:45:45 PM »
It appears you did not get cheated out of a quality, if not absurdly difficult hole location on 16. Glad you had fun.

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 06:00:11 PM »
The swale on 14 is really not a problem. All balls settle in the bottom and it's a great angle into the green from down there.

Definitely, Bill.  You should be in the swale, as it means you're in the right spot.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 06:15:30 PM »
Awesome pictures, Howard. A really enjoyable tour.

Kind of you to say. Thanks, Pat.

It appears you did not get cheated out of a quality, if not absurdly difficult hole location on 16. Glad you had fun.

I needed a one more rotation for my approach to get over that first mound. It did not. My next putt was from the front of the green. But an easy two putt as I hit it past the pin and it funneled back.

Howard I putted off 11 too - easily done!

The greens were superb when I played - condition and overall as complexes.

Glad I'm in good company. The next shot (with only a putter in hand) was played from about 20 yards down the fairway ... and I'm lucky the putt didn't return to my feet. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 07:12:55 PM »

Definitely, Bill.  You should be in the swale, as it means you're in the right spot.

But most guys are terrified of being down there.  The resulting approach shots from center to right fairway are tough over that high lipped bunker!

Zack Molnar

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »
Pasa is absolutely one of my favorites out there. Now that it is playing so firm and fast, I am dying to get out there even more. I would love to bounce one into the open front/right of 2 green with the slope there.

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 08:09:52 PM »
That's a cool pin you got on 16.

Always good to see pics of Pasa.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 08:12:40 PM »
Thanks for the pics. - the contours on 16 are unreal

Looks like the area has had a real dry summer

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »
Wow.  I have not been back there for 4 or 5 years, and have never seen it looking as good as in those pictures, brown around the edges like that.  Ten years ago it was extremely over-watered -- the swale on 14 was best avoided because you had a terrible wet lie in the bottom of it.

Ryan Bass

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 09:09:58 PM »
Pasatiempo is my favorite.  Played it once 3 years ago and I need an excuse to make the 2000 mile trip back.  I could putt those greens every day.  Great variety.   Strategy galore.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 09:38:31 PM »
I played here for the first time in April, just before the water restrictions started.  Looking at these photos makes me want to figure out how to get back asap.  The course looks terrific even with less watering.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back