News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Drifting in Donegal: CRUIT ISLAND GC New
« on: July 13, 2014, 04:50:56 AM »
If its beaches you want, step into Donegal.  There are endless angelic strands void of people. 

If its golf on a beach you be wantin', Cruit Island is the place for you. The beach is free, but the snag is the golf will cost 25 Euro. 

The tee shot for the fifth plays over the 4th green.

The hole then turns hard right and drops off.

#7, the fifth is left.

A closer look at #7.

The course heads back out for one hole then comes right back.  However, I looked at the 9th green from the 8th tee and thought no, the course ends here with a par 3/bogey 4.

From the rear of the green.  I can imagine on slow days (most days?) pegging it up in the 9th fairway and playing to the 7th green and making the 5-7 loop plus the "new" 8th  :D

To be fair, I didn't play or walk #s 1-4 and didn't hit a shot on any hole.  The "inland" holes didn't look to be interesting, but often times looks can be deceiving.  I won't offer an Arble rating, but its quite obvious to me that folks who happen to be in the area should give Cruit Island a go.  With Owey and Arranmore islands offshore and Mount Errigal as an inland backdrop, Cruit (pronounced Critch) is certainly worth dragging a spanner or two around to enjoy its delights.  With ancient scenery surrounding us it is surreal to think the course was only built in 1986.  Very much a community affair, Cruit was built by locals for locals, but all are most welcome.  The clubhouse is a small, functional, sensible affair, but I assure you the greeting is genuine and considerable. 

Other courses on the Donegal Tour

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59189.msg1391553.html#msg1391553  Rosapenna OTM LInks

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59240.msg1392946.html#msg1392946  Rosapenna Sandy Hills

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59129.msg1390457.html#msg1390457  Portsalon

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59008.0.html   Narin & Portnoo

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 07:31:45 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

Re: Drifting in Donegal: CRUIT ISLAND GC New
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 06:16:15 AM »
Sheehy

Yes, Donegal is tough travel.  The courses are very well spread out.  I think atb rented a cottage somewhere and day tripped around Donegal.  I spose one could stay in Letterkenny and do the same thing, but I am not sure its a good enough town to spend 4-5 nights. Anyway you look at it, Donegal requires driving and lots of it if N&P and Cruit are to be included in the itinerary.  But that is the thing about golf, ya gotta go where the courses are.  At least in Donegal the reward is very affordable, very beautiful and very empty courses. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 03:23:00 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

jeffwarne

Re: Drifting in Donegal: CRUIT ISLAND GC
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:32:04 AM »
One of the parts of Donegal ARE the drives.
Which may be hard to believe given the pictures of the courses Sean has provided.
There are MANY scenic drives (noted on maps) that only a slight detour between courses, and some of the most incredible ,remote, and uncrowded scenery you'll ever see. Our driver was originally from Donegal and was very suprised at many of the routes we chose, but VERY impressed by the scenery, most of which he hadn't bothered to venture by since he was a boy.
Dunfanaghy is a fine little town to base in,and there are a lot of affordable self catering options in the area.

Can't wait to get back.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 09:50:26 AM »
Sean:

I wasn't as big a fan of the course as you were -- it wasn't nearly as nice a day when I was there last March.

But the one thing I've got to get right [for my book] is how to pronounce the name.  I'd been told by someone it was "Critch" but there wasn't anyone there in March.  You say "Crutch".  Who else knows for sure?  Or is it one of those Gullane things that no matter which way you say it, they will correct you?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:14:43 AM »
Splendid photos Sean. Glad you made it out that way, such a great shame you didn't get to play it though. I'm sure another opportunity will arise. Fabulous looking day too, terrific light, so clean and pure.

A couple of general observations -

a) Cruit, we were advised to say "Critch" Tom, but what the hell, isn't just quirk, it's a much better test of golf than it appears.
b) The spectacular holes get all the photo time,and nice they are too, but I thought the 1st, 2nd and 8th were rather nice, the 2nd greensite especially so. The 1st with it's tee higher than the clubhouse roof - just how much blindness do you attempt to bite off with your first shot of the day? The long par-3 8th looks bland, but it's a curvy green for chips and putts.
c) The 6th hole, the bunkers on the severe slope left of the green are there I believe to force players to go direct for the green from the tee rather than aiming way left and bouncing and trickling the ball down the slope onto the green.
d) The course is much more spectacular without the green mesh fences around the rear or sides some of the greens (eg 6th, 7th, 9th). Spray defence for the winter storms I imagine they are.
e) Cruit is not a course that needs 14 clubs IMO (do any really?). There's a great deal of improvisation required so instead play it with only 7 or 8 clubs. More interesting and rewarding that way, at least I reckon so.

Cruit is an unforgettable course and location, and as others say in their comments, there are scenic drives galore in Donegal. Great part of the world. I agree with Jeff about Dunfanaghy making a fine base during a trip, the course there is worth playing too.

atb

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:12:26 PM »
I believe the course is relatively new . I found it beautiful but awkward to play.
AKA Mayday

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »
Sheehy, yes, I was told crutch, but I never heard crutch.  It was almost as if I heard a very soft i and s in the word as well - somewhere between crutchs and cruitch.  Anyway, how its spelled ain't how it sounds. 

Ciao

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 05:50:32 PM »
Tom D:

The nearest a non-Irish speaker will come to correctly pronouncing Cruit is to say "Kritch". The "ui" is quite difficult to pronounce; it's a very short "u" sound combined with the "i".

I was brought up in the Donegal Gaeltacht a couple of parishes to the east of Cruit, and that how it's always been pronounced.

If I'm wrong (which I'm 100% sure I am not), I'll pay for the entire reprinting of your book  ;)

Sean:

While no one would claim Cruit is great, 25 euro seems reasonable enough to me. In old money, 25 euro is a little under GBP 20. I guess they could come down to 20 euro, but I can't imagine that people would feel too aggrieved about paying 5 euro more.

Yes, Donegal is remote, but isn't that what makes it so special. You won't see too many tour buses holding you up on the roads and you'll almost always get the tee time you want. Cork, Kerry, Clare and Galway will continue to attract the tourists, and every now and again a group of "yanks" will descend on Cruit or Gweedore or Otway, and the locals will scratch their heads and wonder "What the hell are they doing here?"  :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:43:22 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
We stopped there for a pm loop.

I enjoyed the course. Fun to play with some pretty good views as well. Some holes as noted are better than others.

We asked what the tare was.

"Fifteen"

"Euros" or as another gentleman in our group said "Pounds?"

"We'll take those too!"

Sean_A

Re: Drifting in Donegal: CRUIT ISLAND GC New
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 04:47:57 AM »
Donal

My "snag" comment was a joke.  I don't think 25 Euro for Cruit is in the least unreasonable.  In fact, that and the views may be the best aspects of the course  :)  I was suitably impressed and Cruit may have been my favourite course of the tour.  I suspect it would earn a 1* if I played it.  I am not sure I can say that about the other courses, but I am still pondering.  For sure, I wasn't as taken as Spangles was by the Donegal courses. 

Ciao   
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 03:25:53 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back