News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Mahaffey

... is now posted under Best of Golf/Greenkeeping.

In this thread I'm going to use the terms Greenkeeper and Greenkeeping.  But whether the title is Superintendent, Course Manager, Director of Agronomy, or something else, the people responsible for our golf courses perform what might arguably be the most important job in golf, and IMO, never more important than today. I've worn a few hats in my career. I've been a course owner,  General Manager, Irrigation Consultant and had a few other roles as well. But I've spent 10X more time caring for a golf course than all the other jobs combined. I am, and always will be, a Greenkeeper.

Ran and I discussed me being the subject of a monthly Feature Interview. When he came out with his new "Best of Golf" section on GCA, he asked me to kick off the Greenkeeping portion with an interview. I agreed with one caveat; I wanted to do a video interview. Not because I think I'm photogenic, but because I rather talk about golf than write about it, and I thought I'd come across better in a video. The jury is out on that, but hopefully I'll make my points well enough to be understood, or at least spur further discussion.  

The interview will be released in two parts. Part 1 has my comments on the significance of the work at Pinehurst No. 2 and a bit about the most significant work of my life, Wolf Point Club. Part 2 comes on Monday June 23rd and will focus on my background and what has shaped my beliefs, some thoughts about irrigation, my work since we built Wolf Point, and a few thoughts about the future of Greenkeeping.  

Finally, there is no way this is possible without the help of my friend and great golf cinematographer, Scott Wilson. A quick bio of Scott is below. Scott Wilson is a Dallas based cameraman and producer who is pioneering the art of Golf Landscape Cinematography.  After shooting the Fine Living TV show The Wandering Golfer, which took him around the world, Scott created Flagstick Films - High Definition Golf and Resort Productions. Flagstick Films has produced features for resorts in Bermuda and Lajitas, and golf course developments in Scotland and New Zealand. As an independent producer Scott's wide variety of interests have led him to fuse such diverse genres as golf and Hip Hop with his online series Above Par, golf and local history with his upcoming My Golf Journey, demystifying the golf experience in A Girl's Guide to Golf and finally capturing the essence of the game in Douchebags in Khakis.  As he says, "I have an ugly swing but a beautiful camera." Visit www.FlagstickFilms.com for more details.

Thank you for viewing.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:40:50 AM by Don Mahaffey »

Ran Morrissett

Re: My Video Feature Interview on Pinehurst No. 2 and Wolf Point ...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 03:39:08 PM »
For the first time, we are posting a video on GolfClubAtlas.com. It's an idea whose time has come and not surprisingly, the excellent thought was not mine  :-[ (it was Don's). In fact, we are posting two videos spaced one week apart. Don just introduced Part I which involves Pinehurst No. 2 and Mike Nuzzo's Wolf Point, two courses with an amazing number of similarities. Most people still don't understand the importance of the recent Pinehurst transformation. At this propitious moment Don spells out the significance of Pinehurst's alteration to its infrastructure and the far reaching implications for other clubs.

From strong player to North Texas course owner, Don has been involved in the game like few others. Two of the most interesting irrigation projects in modern times have occurred under his watch - Wolf Point and the Doak course at Dismal River. He is at the forefront of a movement bent on making golf fun and affordable - and if that doesn't make his insights invaluable, I don't know what does! Plus, he does all this from the most noble perspective: fan of the game.

In the video, Don speaks to the factors that make Wolf Point 'practical to maintain' and 'highly functional.' Unfortunately, those are concepts that you rarely hear  >:( and therein lies the problem! Water management, the rapid dispersion of rainfall, spacing of sprinkler heads, etc. it's all in this 13 minute video. Personally speaking, Don’s attitude of accomplishing more with less is my big takeaway.

Listening to him reminds me of Donald Ross's quote, "Greenskeeping is destined to be a very important and lucrative profession, of really far greater import to a golf club than the services of a professional. We haven’t realized this sufficiently here yet, but already some of the universities in the east have started special courses of greenskeeping and course maintenance." I don't know about the lucrative part so much but certainly the importance of Greenkeeping cannot be overstated.

Indeed, one of the most important ways that GolfClubAtlas.com can serve golf is the open discussion of what constitutes best Greenkeeping practices. Don's words and thoughts are cornerstone to such meaningful conversations and we are THRILLED to add this content and a new format to the Best of Golf section.

Stay tuned for Part II next Tuesday!

Best,

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 04:29:27 PM »
He sounds and looks nothing like I expected. I am glad to be the first non-Don/Ran to comment on this and say that video's time has come on this site. Not in the discussion group, but on the site.

Just makes me want to get to Wolf Point that much quicker.

Great job, fellows.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Rees Milikin

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 05:40:21 PM »
Great first video and insight into the thought process of developing Wolf Point.  I am really looking forward to more of this Best of Golf video feature.

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 05:54:25 PM »
Allow me to preach for a bit.

If there has ever been an interview on this website with which I agree more, I haven't seen it. Don brings a ruthless pragmatism (love that term) to golf that surely has merit. Even without a world of increasing costs, water restrictions, and other various issues that conspire to drive golf away from a game for all; Don's viewpoints would still carry weight as a way forward for golf construction and green keeping.

David Davis

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 06:24:45 PM »
Don, great video. Perhaps a star is born.

Now all we have to do is convince the rest of them out there to follow your, Mike's and a few others lead. I'd like to think this is a trend for the future and hope people in the industry start listening and definitely hope Pinehurst is a success.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:17:34 PM »
That's great.  Don is right on that Nuzzo doesn't get enough credit.   A video like this can't hurt at all. 

John Kirk

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »
Thanks, Don.  I watched carefully and enjoyed the presentation very much.

1.  Irrigation systems seem to last 20-30 years, which should offer ample opportunities for more austere, efficient systems to replace complex systems of the previous generation.  This is an excellent business opportunity moving forward.

2.  On several occasions Wolf Point has been characterized as an "unremarkable" site for a golf course.  I disagree.  From what I can see, it is gently undulating, with an attractive "golf-sized" creek, mature native oaks, and long range views in every direction.  To me it looks conducive to great golf.  You may not test the player's ability to judge significantly uphill or downhill approach shots, but that might be the only limitation.  Instead you have a easily walkable course that plays quickly.

Once again, congratulations to Don, course designer Mike Nuzzo and cinematographer Scott Wilson.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 08:41:18 PM »
Thanks, Don.  I watched carefully and enjoyed the presentation very much.

1.  Irrigation systems seem to last 20-30 years, which should offer ample opportunities for more austere, efficient systems to replace complex systems of the previous generation.  This is an excellent business opportunity moving forward.

2.  On several occasions Wolf Point has been characterized as an "unremarkable" site for a golf course.  I disagree.  From what I can see, it is gently undulating, with an attractive "golf-sized" creek, mature native oaks, and long range views in every direction.  To me it looks conducive to great golf.  You may not test the player's ability to judge significantly uphill or downhill approach shots, but that might be the only limitation.  Instead you have a easily walkable course that plays quickly.

Once again, congratulations to Don, course designer Mike Nuzzo and cinematographer Scott Wilson.

John, a whole lot of those "gentle undulations" are man made.   Great design and shaping, but designed for sheet flow drainage toward all those cool creeks. 

Shall we rendezvous in Houston this fall?   ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 09:05:41 PM »
Well done, my friend.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Cliff Walston

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 09:22:16 PM »
In a word, awesome.  I really enjoyed the video and your insights.  If this is the kind of contributions we have to look forward to on GCA, I am more excited than ever to be a part of this group.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 10:35:13 PM »
Don,

Great commentary!  I really like how you talked about the synergy that developed between you and Mike when building Wolf Point - that g.c.a.-superintendent relationship is something that is not talked about very much, but should be.  Having a passionate golfer as a superintendent is very conducive to creating great golf because they see things that architects don't and have much to contribute to the practicality, maintainability, and playability of design features, or as a whole.  I know that has been immeasurably helpful to me throughout my career, with Dan Lucas still the super at Kingsley and Joe Hancock working with me frequently - they, and others, have helped me in many ways to make for better golf.  With long term supers that start on a project, they also continue to maintain the design as intended and I frequently talk with them about any concerns they have.

Can't wait for next week's episode.  Maybe HBO will pick this up . . . might need some cute ladies for that to really get some ratings there!

Mike

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
Ron,
We hardly ever look like our user names ;D

Ben,
Thanks. There will always be many different ways to build and maintain golf courses. I'm just glad that a different way, a more pragmatic way with a focus on the game and keeping it simple might be grabbing some of the spotlight. In golf we've always held up the luxury model as the one to copy, and I don't think that has been good for the game. I have no issue with a club or course that wants to go that route, but lets just be real about it and call it what it is, not pretend that is the only or best way to present golf.

John,
I think the use of modern materials means a new system should last longer then 20-30 years. Systems should be replaced when they are no longer functional and breaking down, not just because new equipment becomes available. There is a huge market for new systems right now as many courses across the country have very old systems that are breaking down. Their problem is the golf industry is telling them they need 2-3M for a new system, and for those that can afford it, great. But many of the mid to low level courses can not and for them I hope Pinehurst #2 will open their eyes to what thinking differently can yield. And to be clear, I'm not suggesting all courses could get by with that same irrigation, but I am suggesting that if they adopt an attitude like Pinehurst, or like what we did at Wolf Point, they will learn they do have options and can upgrade when needed.
Mike Nuzzo can tell you exactly, but I think we had 3 ft of elevation change across the site at Wolf Point.

Mike D,
Visiting with Joe and seeing what he did at his course was a big help to me. He did what he needed to do out of necessity, but he also had a course as his lab, and he taught me a lot. What Dan does at Kingsley is amazing. I'm not sure how old Kingsley is, over 10 years I think, but it is approaching that age where some would say you should be looking at renovating the greens, or the bunkers, or maybe even the irrigation. I'm guessing none of that is even in the discussion and probably will not be for many more years. Solid practices lead to long term success and that is what you have with Dan at Kingsley. My hope is during this thread more Greenkeepers are recognized for doing great work like Dan, and that we look a little closer at what they are doing to present such awesome golfing conditions on a daily basis.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:25:21 AM by Don Mahaffey »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 09:50:15 AM »
Wolf Point really looks cool.  A few questions:

What do the greens stimp at?

How many of the undulations are man-made?

How do you not lose balls in a pond that seems to border at least one of the holes?

The mandate was to make the course hard.  Any estimate of approximate course rating?  Bogey rating?

You guys who have played WP: could you rank it top 200 US?  Top 100? 

I think it might be interesting for Mike Keiser to see the course.  Maybe another architect(s) for him to consider for future projects?

Michael Blake

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 09:54:57 AM »
Don,

You clean up nice.  :)
Never seen you without a hat on---or sporting a shirt with no dirt on it!

Great message and insight.  I think you're a natural in the 'video interview' format.
Kudos also to Scott Wilson for a nicely produced video.

Looking forward to the next one.

John Kirk

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 10:33:11 AM »
I admit 3 feet is pretty flat.  Perhaps it would sound better and more dramatic if we state that "The gently undulating Wolf Point features over 90 centimeters of elevation change."

John McCarthy

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 10:39:59 AM »
Don:

This was excellent. 

If I could ask - you state that the course is an ongoing experiment.  If possible can you name the greatest failed experiment and why?
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »
Wolf Point really looks cool.  A few questions:

What do the greens stimp at?

How many of the undulations are man-made?

How do you not lose balls in a pond that seems to border at least one of the holes?

The mandate was to make the course hard.  Any estimate of approximate course rating?  Bogey rating?

You guys who have played WP: could you rank it top 200 US?  Top 100? 

I think it might be interesting for Mike Keiser to see the course.  Maybe another architect(s) for him to consider for future projects?

Jim,
I don't have a stimpmeter and to my knowledge the greens have never been measured. On average I'd say there are around 9 - 9.5. We get them faster sometimes with rolling and drying them out, but 9.5 works pretty well with the green contours. There are some here who have played WP and I doubt many will say the greens were too slow, or fast. maybe if you are really into fast greens the speed might bother you, but for most it seems once play begins, there is not much talk about green speed.

The idea about not losing balls was to have width, but of course you can lose a ball in the water, or the creek which we cross a number of times, or in the long grass along the edges. It is very simple to get around WP without losing a ball, but some of the best angles are near the edges and near the lake, so it is possible to lose a ball with a bad shot or a little miss if taking an aggressive line.

I have no idea what the course rating might be. My guess is it would not be high because of the width.

I've had some feedback from some raters, but I'll let others answer that question. But I do hope we don't judge the course based on what it might be ranked.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
Don:

This was excellent. 

If I could ask - you state that the course is an ongoing experiment.  If possible can you name the greatest failed experiment and why?
John, I'll have to think about that.
I know during construction I got impatient with all the rain and worked some wet ground, a major no no and you can still see the areas where I did it as the grass continues to struggle.

As for maintenance, I would guess it would be when I was going too long in between irrigation cycles with my deep, infrequent program. Heavy soils can get very hydrophobic and letting them dry out too much can make it very hard to get them to take water. I still think it far better to mimic natural rainfall and use a deep infrequent approach, but the soil moisture and infiltration does need to be closely monitored. I think this is an area where I will get the most disagreement from other keepers as most modern supers will tell you that deep infrequent does not work. But I think the problem may be that deep infrequent can have a different meaning to each super. Just as turf quality can have a different meaning. For us at WP, turf quality is 100% about golf quality, not color, and even at times not about density. We are OK with off color grass that might be a little thin, and that is not going to be graded very high by most turf researchers.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 12:35:44 PM »
I admit 3 feet is pretty flat.  Perhaps it would sound better and more dramatic if we state that "The gently undulating Wolf Point features over 90 centimeters of elevation change."

3' but very rolling and a good sized hill was built from the spoil from excavating the lake.

Jim Nugent, in my Top 25. It's great.  And lots of fun.

William_G

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 02:20:50 PM »
very nice interview!

good bit about #2

also, the WP story is great, didn't know there was a storm surge level there

love the fact that the mold was broken by Don down there re: irrigation heads, etc...

thank you
It's all about the golf!

Matt Bosela

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 04:02:47 PM »
Don,

Loved the video and anxiously await part two.

It's great having you back here at GCA and I really hope our paths cross again sometime soon, hopefully for another round of golf!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 05:58:50 PM »
My compliments too, Don.

You articulate your views/ideas very well -- neither too detailed nor too big picture.

And I liked how a course's 'architecture'  now brings to mind for me not only the design, but the relationship between the design and the structures underneath (literally) and the maintenance that melds/blends those all together, so that we get ideal playability.

Peter

Randy Thompson

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »
So where do I find the video, where is the new, Best of golf??
Is it suppose to be on the home page??? Anybody else not have it or am I not looking in the right spot?????
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:22:30 PM by Randy Thompson »

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »
So where do I find the video, where is the new, Best of golf??

Top of the page. Just off the left corner of the search box. Along the horizontal row of links. Between IN MY OPINION and CONTRIBUTIONS

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back