News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Buck Wolter

Craig Disher, C&C and the Restoration of Pinehurst #2
« on: June 09, 2014, 11:31:35 AM »
I was listening to Sirius/XM's Golf Channel this morning and host Matt Adams had Bill Coore on discuss the restoration of #2.

Very good interview and Mr. Coore was incredbly humble about this process being about returning the course to what Donald Ross intended not what C&C could do.

This may be old news but I thought it was worth mentioning. Mr. Coore said there were two things that made a true restoration possible.

The first was that there was someone involved who's name escapes me that was at the resort when the irrigation was replaced and that the new lines had followed the original piping which followed the original fairway centerlines. Once they staked that they knew the original location of the centerlines.

Then he said THE most important thing that happened was he received a call from Craig Disher (I assume it's the GCA member)  who asked Bill if he had historial aerial photos of the course --which Coore had replied 'unfortuantely not'. Craig told him to give him a few days and he came back with aerials of all 18 holes from basically Christmas day 1943? (I was driving so the details escape me). Those aerials basically gve C&C the confidence and detail to know that the were returning the course to what it was.

This may be old news to the treehouse but given the week and the nationwide shout out, I thought I would bring it up here. I don't know if the interview is available online as I've never been able to make that work on XM but supposedly Bill will be on the same program Thursday with Mike Davis who told C&C he had no intention of growing rough post renovation for the Open even knowing how much fairway width was to be added.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

John Mayhugh

Re: Craig Disher, C&C and the Restoration of Pinehurst #2
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 12:38:48 PM »
I don't remember hearing that before, but Craig has come up with all sorts of historic aerials and shared them on here, so has to be one and the same.  Glad we know about his contribution.

Eric Smith

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 01:22:01 PM »
Good article containing these points in this week's Golfworld written by Ron Whitten.  Its at home so can't reference the actual name, but memory tells me that someone from the Resort spoke up to BIll and said the main irrigation line was left in the ground, and if they staked 90' on either side they would be able to go back to Ross' original intent.  They were floored at how much things had shifted over the years.  Bill was quoted talking about how huge this revelation was.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 03:19:13 PM »
Thanks for posting this, I had not known about Craig's involvement. Well done Craig!

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »
Good article containing these points in this week's Golfworld written by Ron Whitten.  Its at home so can't reference the actual name, but memory tells me that someone from the Resort spoke up to Bill and said the main irrigation line was left in the ground, and if they staked 90' on either side they would be able to go back to Ross' original intent.  They were floored at how much things had shifted over the years.  Bill was quoted talking about how huge this revelation was.

wanted to make sure I gave the proper credit to the story from Ron Whitten ...

"Bob Farren, Pinehurst's director of grounds and golf course maintenance, met with Coore, who was struggling to find accurate information about the course as it existed after an extensive 1935 Donald Ross redesign of his original.. (Only one scrapbook of photos exists, and Ross apparently made no blueprints.) Farren told him the irrigation mainline installed 80 years ago was still in the ground. He suggested that flagging that mainline would indicate where the original fairway centerlines had been.

Paul Jett, at the time the superintendent of No. 2, and Toby Cobb, a Coore associate who managed the reconstruction, located the mainline, measured 90 feet on either side of it (the average throw of water) and placed small flags along the perimeter to delineate the original fairways. "It was amazing," Coore says. "It was no longer supposition about where the fairways had been. They'd all been serpentine, following the contours of the land. The fairways had changed so much, the mailine was in present-day rough in a few places."  Had they done nothing else but reclaim the original "swings and curves" of the fairways, he said, they would have imporved Pinehurst No. 2.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:48:29 PM »
Bill,

Craig has a long history of assisting individuals, committees and clubs with archival photos.

He's been an invaluable resource for many projects.

I'd sure like to see the 1943 aerial.

Earlier this year I sent the son of the winner of the 1938 North-South Amateur photos of his dad and my dad on the course at # 2 in 1938.

I'm anxious to see how the "conditions" are received

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 06:16:37 AM »
I just watched them speaking about Craig on the Golf Channel's US Open coverage. They showed a few aerial photos and compared them to the previous version of Pinehurst No 2. It would be cool to see them all posted up for comparison's sake...
Last 5:
Bobby Jones (FL) Arcadia Municipal (FL) Eisenhower Lakes (GA) Augusta Municipal (GA) Foresthills GC (GA)

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 10:32:55 AM »
Congratulations Craig!

I had the privilege to meet and play a match with Craig during the Dixie Cup a few years ago at Mimosa Hills.   Craig is a super nice guy with an extraordinary golf architecture IQ.  Looking forward to a great tournament this week.

Mark

Howard Riefs

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 10:36:26 AM »
I just watched them speaking about Craig on the Golf Channel's US Open coverage. They showed a few aerial photos and compared them to the previous version of Pinehurst No 2. It would be cool to see them all posted up for comparison's sake...

Craig providing the "proverbial road maps" is mentioned in these two Golf Channel stories. The first piece is a great profile of how the restoration came about.

National treasure: Rediscovering Pinehurst No. 2
3:40 mark
http://www.golfchannel.com/media/national-treasure-pinehurst-no-2/

Before and after: What has changed at Pinehurst?
1:45 mark
http://www.golfchannel.com/media/pinehurst-no-2-what-has-changed/

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »
Hearing the names of Disher and Morrissett on the golf channel last night gave me a great sense of belonging to something very special, which is sometimes lost amongst the petty personal attacks on various threads.
We do indeed have sometning special on this site, and trhanks to the many who contribute such valued opinuions.
The petty stuff goes with the openess of the site and is actually somewhat entertaining at times, so I dont mind it either!!!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 03:52:22 PM »
Just got a "sneak preview" email from Golf Course Histories showing an aerial comparison between 1939 and 2013: http://golfcoursehistories.com/P2.html

I'm told this is 1939 and therefore NOT the famous "Mano de Disher" 1943 Christmas Day pics -- so resolution is not as high. BUT the resolution is higher than many they post -- hit your <control> <+> keyboard buttons and zoom the pics. I did and was impressed!

Three things I noticed off the bat:
1) you can see the central irrigation line running down the 13th and 14th fairways in *both* pics -- so you can see what Coore is talking about using as a reference for fairways
2) seems like a few fairways were pinched in places by "scrub zones" -- why not restore those fairway widths?  ???
3) NLE bunkers but also added bunkers
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

RussBaribault

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 04:11:32 PM »
To expand on Buck's post, I saw C&C on the golf channel last night and I saw two humble individuals. I thought a great thing Ben Crenshaw said that this was Donald Ross' course and they wanted to keep it that way.
“Greatness courts failure, Romeo.”

“You may be right boss, but you know what, sometimes par is good enough to win”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back