News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Canyons Resort GC(Bates) Park City, UT - Now open!
« on: June 01, 2014, 09:48:03 AM »
Here's the website with construction pics:

http://canyonsresortgolfcourse.com/?page_id=2
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:28:27 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom Bacsanyi

Re: Canyons Resort GC(Bates) opens Fall 2014 in Park City, UT
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:40:08 PM »
Here's the website with construction pics:

http://canyonsresortgolfcourse.com/?page_id=2

6,256 yards at 7,000 feet?  I'm not a length whore but that is SHORT.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:59:33 PM »
How does crushing rock make topsoil?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 01:28:29 PM »
It's a par 70 at altitude. I don't mind that it's short. It's obviously a resort course.

As far as crushing rock for topsoil, I would think that if it's crushed real fine, then it works.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 03:40:09 PM »
How does crushing rock make topsoil?

We had to do that at Stone Eagle.  You wouldn't mistake it for the real thing, but you can get the particle sizes down to where it's a reasonable growing medium.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 03:44:45 PM »
Must be some pretty severe terrain if there is 1,000 feet of elevation change.

A quick look at the routing map shows some VERY long green-to-tee transitions ... 16th to 17th looks to be over a quarter mile.

Jon Nolan

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 05:22:44 PM »
I learned to ski at The Canyons when it was Park West a half a lifetime ago.  There was basically nothing between the mountain and SR-224 but a base lodge and a parking lot.  I'm trying to figure out where everything fits into my mind's eye based on the routing map.  The first thing that strikes me is a lot of those holes are going to have snow on them well into spring.  The back nine should have gentle elevation changes other than perhaps 17 and 18 which I think could be substantially uphill.  No pics for those two yet.  The start goes up a draw between the bunny hill and the meat of the old ski area.  Obviously I haven't spent too much time down there when skiing but it really could be an up and down affair. The middle holes look to be going pretty much across the fall line and a lot of the elevation change could be when carting from green to tee.

I like Bates' courses.  Soldier Hollow Gold is one of the best publics in Northern Utah and the Silver is fun too. Talons Cove is both enjoyable and walkable although as of last year they seem to have let the maintenance go to the point I won't go back unless someone I trust tells me they're turned it around.  Riverbend doesn't float my boat.  I'll give this one a shot although the transition of the place from a locals friendly, family ski area to Talisker/Vail ownership suggests the green fees will likely be close to an all area day pass rate of $100.  Unless the course is outstanding rates like that will turn it into tourist golf and drive the locals away.  The Canyons is timeshare central so they'll probably be fine with that.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:38:16 PM by Jon Nolan »

Steve_ Shaffer

Kalen Braley

Re: Canyons Resort GC(Bates) Park City, UT - Now open!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 06:03:45 PM »
I was out there last weekend, didn't play it, and yes it has a ton of elevation change.  I can't imagine its anything short of a cart ball course given the elevation as well as some of the long transitions. That being said, it is literally adjacent to the canyons ski resort and the terrain is steep. Pluse they had a lot of existing structures that they had to work around.
Looks like I may have to dust-off the camera and do a course review.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back