News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Leven
« on: May 26, 2014, 04:30:10 PM »
I've been trying to get my head around how the routing worked prior to the division at the Mile Dyke. You'll note from the 1878 map that 5 holes have the same name going out as well as coming in and appear to play to the same spots both ways. Were they big double greens or individual greens set very close together??? Is there any mention in The golf courses of Old Tom Morris book?

Lucky me, Leven member. I get to play in the MacDonald Trophy over what's left of the original course later in the year... So cool. Would be amongst Scotland's very best links if the members would thole it. Possibly still be a bit busy though!

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom_Doak

Re: Leven
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »
Martin:

I wish the same opportunity were available to outsiders.  I will suggest in The Confidential Guide that the club(s) have a couple of open weeks in summer to play the Innerleven routing, in order to raise money for the general fund.

Jim McCann

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 03:16:40 PM »
Marty

How is the 18-hole course configured for the competition you refer to?

Does it start/end at Lundin Links one year then alternate with Leven the following year?

I know somebody who once played the composite course as a guest of one of the club captains but I haven't been able to contact him to find out the answer to my question.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »
Jim,
That's exactly it. Match hosted by one of the three clubs each year. Starts at Leven end two out of three (Thistle and LGS). Plays: Leven 1 to 5, Lundin 15 to 18, Lundin 1 to 5, Leven 13 to 15 and 18. Awesome round of golf!
Started at Lundie last year. We got there and thought it had been called off. Very light rain. Hardly any cars in the car park, so we wandered to the pro shop only to find out there had been lots of call offs. Eedjits! Practically had BOTH courses to ourselves! Heaven...

M.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »
A very kind gentleman, formerly of these parts, who I think may be related to OTM in some way(!), sent me some info from the Kroeger which seems to suggest there weren't double greens, but hope springs eternal!

F.

Paul Dolton

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 04:23:56 AM »
Hi Martin , ive played Leven and Lundin a couple of times and much prefer Leven but everyone i talk too prefers Lundin. Just wondered what you think. I think it maybe the two holes at the top of Lundin that dictate my decision.

Britt Rife

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 09:46:23 AM »
Martin,

A few years ago, Melvyn Morrow emailed me some pages from the Old Tom Morris book you refer to that cover Leven-Lundin and have details about the composite course before the separation.  I lost the email, but I might have the printed sheets.

I really envy your membership there.  That is just a fantastic club and a wonderful course--one of my favorites in the world.  The hole I love particularly is, I believe, the 2nd, which has the option of playing a drive straight ahead into a little valley, where your approach shot is semi-blind up the hill or, playing your drive long over a ridge and getting rewarded with a fine angle to the green.  It's a basic strategic hole, but I really found that one special.  The 18th and the Circus hole were just wonderful as well.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 01:35:17 PM »
Martin,

I don't Leven or Lundin but do players either deliberately or by mistake ever play from one course to the other?

The reason I ask is the Royal Aberdeen-Murcar story where a group of visitors apparently played the first-9 at Royal Aderdeen, got a bit confused, and instead of playing the 10th at RAGC played from the closely adjacent 4th at Murcar and proceeded to play all the Murcar holes through to the 18th and only realised their mistake when they couldn't find their hire car in the Murcar car-park!

atb

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 01:42:01 PM »
Hi Martin , ive played Leven and Lundin a couple of times and much prefer Leven but everyone i talk too prefers Lundin. Just wondered what you think. I think it maybe the two holes at the top of Lundin that dictate my decision.

That par 5 is a dog. The par 3s that take you up and down fine IMO.   I like the drop shot 14th, great vista from up there. 

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 05:36:37 PM »
Paul,
I agree with you about the up the hill holes at lundin. A bit prosaic. I'm gonna say though that I think the best holes at lundin are better than the best holes at leven, but the worst holes at leven aren't as bad as the worst holes at lundin. If you get my drift!
Britt,
Mr M has also sent me various documents which I am looking through now. I must admit I'm not a big fan of the circus. It's built on the old football fields and is thus a tad flat! (and not very linksy). My very favourite hole is 14. Astoundingly great greensite!
Thomas,
Not a general issue with losing the place on the course. The mile dyke (wall) is a dead giveaway. It is easy though to slice one from Leven's 5th or to hook one from Lundin's 5th onto the opposite side!
Unc,
I love the lundin 14th view too. Didn't you thrash me badly there???!!!

Cheers,
F.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 07:01:57 PM »
Paul,
I agree with you about the up the hill holes at lundin. A bit prosaic. I'm gonna say though that I think the best holes at lundin are better than the best holes at leven, but the worst holes at leven aren't as bad as the worst holes at lundin. If you get my drift!
Britt,
Mr M has also sent me various documents which I am looking through now. I must admit I'm not a big fan of the circus. It's built on the old football fields and is thus a tad flat! (and not very linksy). My very favourite hole is 14. Astoundingly great greensite!
Thomas,
Not a general issue with losing the place on the course. The mile dyke (wall) is a dead giveaway. It is easy though to slice one from Leven's 5th or to hook one from Lundin's 5th onto the opposite side!
Unc,
I love the lundin 14th view too. Didn't you thrash me badly there???!!!

Cheers,
F.

I enjoyed every moment!   You'll get a rematch in May 2015!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back