News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe_Tucholski

In the most current issue of Golf Digest there is an interview/article with David Fay.  The last question asks if there will be another doubleheader for the US Open.  Fay responds and says Pinehurst is "the only venue and ownership that could pull it off."  My first reaction is that statement is garbage I don't see why any course that hosts the men's US Open couldn't also host the women the following week.  What am I missing, why would Fay make this statement?  I get most places wouldn't want to do it but is there a legitimate reason why they couldn't do it elsewhere?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:50:42 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Garland Bayley

Re: Pinehurst "the only venue and onership that could pull it off"
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 06:58:06 PM »
I smell hyperbole.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 07:44:28 PM »
 I get most places wouldn't want to do it but is there a legitimate reason why they couldn't do it elsewhere?

Perhaps that is the reason. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 08:38:28 PM »
embellishment, hyperbole, yes.

Pinehurst is not nearly as wide a course as many others, so the idea of divot issues during week two is a real one. I suspect that The Old Course could host back to back Opens with nary a yawn.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Matt MacIver

Re: Pinehurst "the only venue and ownership that could pull it off"
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 09:30:01 PM »
Bethpage?  If not the Black, then Red for the second week...?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:59:57 AM »
embellishment, hyperbole, yes.

Pinehurst is not nearly as wide a course as many others, so the idea of divot issues during week two is a real one. I suspect that The Old Course could host back to back Opens with nary a yawn.

That's BS.

Digest is trying to justify their position. Divots are not an issue, they're rub of the green.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

jim_lewis

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »
Volunteers.....It takes thousands of volunteers to host a US Open. Probably two thirds as many for the Women's Open. Pinehurst has a population of golf nuts, most of whom are retired. They are willing and able to spend the time it takes to volunteer. I don't know how many other venues could recruit the large numbers needed for back-to-back weeks.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 11:55:54 AM »

Digest is trying to justify their position. Divots are not an issue, they're rub of the green.

Not when your event follows on the heels of the grave diggers open, Adam. You need width to combat the divot issue. It is naive to think otherwise.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Craig Disher

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 12:03:33 PM »

Not when your event follows on the heels of the grave diggers open, Adam. You need width to combat the divot issue. It is naive to think otherwise.

The fairways on #2 are substantially wider than those on previous US Open sites. Additionally, the women will probably not be hitting their fairway shots from the same areas as the men.

Craig Disher

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 01:49:33 PM »
Hi Craig: have you been there recently? What's the current situation with the wiregrass? I'm hoping it's not total jungle as in some ways it was sold to us as an Open that would be "rough free". Which it is technically, but if the wiregrass is watered up to make it horrific, it's effectively the same thing...

I was there a little over a week ago and the wire grass - as well as other weedy stuff - was thicker than it was in January. This is prime growing season especially after a rough winter and it will continue to get more dense unless there's a decision to thin it out. The problem lies have been talked about but an equal difficulty could be the stance. Resting one foot on a clump of wire grass could be as problematic as a bad lie. I imagine there's an optimal density of wire grass that won't over-penalize a shot off the fairway. Whatever that is, I assume it's been researched and will be used in the setup.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »
I'm guessing he meant due to the ownership. Private clubs wouldn't go back to back.  I but Herb K would at the Straights course though.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 09:33:33 PM »
Trump Bedminster

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 09:41:48 PM »
Trump Bedminster

Trump and a thousand others would give up much more than an added week to land a US Open. Many courses already give up a year at least.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back