News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Otway GC, Donegal - with pix
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »
Otway GC, a 9-holer in Donegal, has been mentioned a few times on GCA.

The course is just a few miles south of Portsalon on the banks of Lough Swilly.

I unfortunately didn't get to play the course and the rain was just coming on heavy so I didn't look around much so here are just a few photos, which I've had to lighten as little as it was pretty dark, taken from the rise by the Clubhouse and, I presume, the 9th/18th green.

I'm not sure which hole is which so perhaps someone who has played the course or knows Otway could add some comments. Some photos of the other holes etc, if anyone should have some, would be nice too.

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

photo 5 - I presume this to be the 9th/18th green in front of the Clubhouse

One aspect that amused me was a sign that said something like "If the Clubhouse is closed please pay your green-fee at the nearby bungalow".

atb

jeffwarne

Re: Otway GC, Donegal - with pix
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:17:41 AM »
Otway GC, a 9-holer in Donegal, has been mentioned a few times on GCA.

The course is just a few miles south of Portsalon on the banks of Lough Swilly.

I unfortunately didn't get to play the course and the rain was just coming on heavy so I didn't look around much so here are just a few photos, which I've had to lighten as little as it was pretty dark, taken from the rise by the Clubhouse and, I presume, the 9th/18th green.

I'm not sure which hole is which so perhaps someone who has played the course or knows Otway could add some comments. Some photos of the other holes etc, if anyone should have some, would be nice too.

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

photo 5 - I presume this to be the 9th/18th green in front of the Clubhouse

One aspect that amused me was a sign that said something like "If the Clubhouse is closed please pay your green-fee at the nearby bungalow".

atb

I'll take a stab at Otway-where even the sheep wear helmets ;) ;D

photo one
9 green from one tee-one down in valley below
2 tee, 4 tee, three fairway and green in background
6 tee off to the left

photo 2
6 green, 8,9, fairway taken from 7 tee with 7 green far to the right just out of picture

photo 3
same

photo 4

1 green with 3 green in background
also 6 fairway
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

Re: Otway GC, Donegal - with pix
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 07:15:16 AM »
Thomas thanks for the pictures and for the memories, I spent quite a bit of time in my youth playing on the beach there, my grandfather was born in the house in the background of the last picture. He would tell us stories of caddying for the British officers in the 20s and 30s and how he made some decent money from caddying and selling balls.

I believe my distant cousins still own the land the course is on and lease it to the club. I remember cows grazing it which I had to wrap my young head around even though I thought sheep were fine..... It's been over 20 years since I've been there - I need to fix that.

Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back