News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

A while ago I asked on a separate thread if Cruit Island was worth visiting. Contributors herein were kind enough to respond so when out in west Donegal recently some friends and I paid the course a visit.......and it was most certainly worth visiting............so many thanks to those who advised going there.

Before the pix, a couple of general comments -

there was no rain....!.....when we played -  a round of golf without rain in western Donegal, amazing!
we played in about a 2-3 club wind but the wind direction was the opposite to the prevailing
there are 6 blind tee shots and some blind 2nd shots too
the course was in very good condition, the greens rolling very quick and very smooth
the bunkers are small and deep - I guess if they weren't then the sand would blow out of them
the course was a much better test of golf - and especially course management - than I'd anticipated
from when you cross the the wee bridge onto the island the road is very, very narrow, very twisty with numerous blind humps and bumps - so be careful if your visiting

1st hole - longish par-4, blind tee shot

1st Mens's tee after having teed-off and walked forward 40 yds

1st tee overlooking the 9th green. The headland in the far distance is the location for the 7th tee. The wee island is I believe called Toratrave.

1st fairway from the 1st tee, yip, it's a blind tee shot - the line is over the centre path

Where a decent tee shot - for a 'non-bomber' and into the wind - could finish

The proper 'pot' bunker on the corner of the dog-leg - if only more bunkers were like this - proper hazards

Looking back from behind the 1st green from the very raised 2nd tee

2nd hole - longish-uphill par-4 from a very raised tee down into a valley and then up to narrow green thats slopes up a lot from the front to the rear with a deep fall-off on the right side. I liked this hole and this green site.

the view from the 2nd tee. The hole dog-legs to the right past the fairway bunker. The island in the distance is called Owey Island and is reached by ferry from a pier near the 9th green (see later)

Looking back towards the raised 2nd tee. The 1st green is to the right.

Looking up towards to the raised 2nd green from the 2nd fairway

From short left of the 2nd green

From the rear of the 2nd green. This green slopes significantly from back-to-front and the fall-off on the right side (left side in the photo) is severe. I thought this a very fine green.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:29:05 AM by Thomas Dai »

Ronald Montesano

Re: Cruit Island - with pix
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 06:12:19 AM »
How does one properly pronounce "Cruit"?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 06:16:27 AM »
Hole 3, par-4 - blind tee shot over a saddle and turning slightly right to a green right above the rocks

Here's the tee shot on the 3rd hole

What greets you over the saddle

From closer (left side)

From the right edge, which slopes away considerably

Hole 4, par-4 - tee above the rocks behind the 3rd green, hole bends left severely at driving/lay-up distance with the green hidden just over a saddle

The 4th tee (behind 3rd green)

4th fairway at driving/lay-up distance

Getting a bit closer

From just over the saddle

From the left side on the green

5th hole, par-4 - very severe dog-leg to the right with green above the rocks

5th tee looking towards the fairway - yes there is a fairway, it's over the saddle along the line of the two whites spots on the hill. The fairway is not wide so it is extremely easy to go straight across the dog-leg with you tee shot into the gunch.

Over the saddle this is what greets you. It's a very severe dog-leg hole

From closer

There are two tees for the 6th hole, one lower down, one on top of the hill well above the 5th green

6th hole, par-3 - the hole that is probably the most photographed. Wide but shallow green that falls away steeply at the front and is gunch and rock over the back. There are two semi-hidden bunkers to the left of the green that prevent shots played well left rolling down the steep side slope onto the green

6th green and rocky chasm photographed from the high tee which is located above the rear of the 5th green

The lower level tee

The front of the green falls away significantly.

Don't go long!

More to follow

Tom Kelly

Re: Cruit Island - with pix - holes 1,2,3,4,5 & 6 now posted
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 06:44:22 AM »
Wow, this place looks awesome.

I love the scruffy bunkers, it's how all the modern 'frilly' edge bunkers wished they looked. The revetted ones don't look quite so healthy though...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:53:50 AM by Tom Kelly »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 07:19:06 AM »
Saturday 28th June, 9.00am. Who's in?

Thanks Thomas, anticipation now set to 11.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:22:24 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 08:14:39 AM »
Awesome pictures that capture the spirit of the place well.
Cruit (Pronounced Critch-Ron) is often panned as a one hole course.

Anyone who would say or write that has either lost their soul, is blind, or is a GCA snob. ;)
Three positions worthy of at best pity::) ::) ;D ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:38:11 AM »
Hole 7, par 4 - raised tee over a chasm to an uphill fairway with the green over a saddle. Severe fall-away at rear of green.

View of the 7th hole from the 7th tee. The green is directly over the centre bunker.

Looking back at the 7th tee from the start of the fairway. Owey Island in the background.

From the 7th fairway looking towards the green.

7th green from the left side at the top of the saddle

View from behind the 7th green

What's over the back of the 7th green. The 9th green and Clubhouse are in the background. The pier for the Owey Island ferry is near the orange coloured digger.

8th hole, par-3 - longish par-3, somewhat bland in comparison to the other holes on the course - what couldn't be! - trickier green contours than the photos suggest. Shame about the telephone posts and cables.

8th green photographed from about 40 yds short. The road in the distance leads back to the mainland.

8th green photographed from the rear. 7th green and 8th tee are on the mound to the right in the photo with the 9th hole bending around to the left.

9th hole, par-4 - short par-4 with a severe right-to-left dog-leg. Road to the left is OB, to straight is in the gunch and there's a gunchy hollow 100 yds short of the green. An interesting hole. Do you give it a wack at the green off the tee or play safe in some way? Perhaps a snap-hook mid iron lay-up might be the best play!!??

9th hole from the tee which plays over the left side of the 8th green

The suggested aiming point from the tee is the last house on the left on Owey Island. The dog-leg is very tight and the road is OB.

Two photos both taken from the saddle in front of the green. Wonderful location for a Clubhouse. What a view!

The 9th is a very sloped green

View from behind the 9th green. The path in front of the green leads to the Owey Island ferry (not a regular service, residents etc only unscheduled)

Some general photos to finish

From the rear of the 5th tee looking towards the Clubhouse and the 9th green

From the rear of the 5th tee looking over the 7th green

From the rear of the 3th tee looking over the 9th fairway towards to the 9th green and Clubhouse

From the rear of the 5th tee looking over the 7th green with Owey Island and wee Toratrave the background

Well that's a photo tour of Cruit Island GC. Just a fabulous place to visit and play golf. Ever so friendly? Yes. Great fun? Yes. Very good condition? Yes. Quirky? Yes, but overall a much, much better course and a much better test of golf than I ever imagined it would be. It is certainly no one trick (hole) pony.

I'm very glad I went to Cruit, or "Critch" as the locals say. I recommend others visit too.

If you do go though, I have one suggestion for you - don't take 14 clubs, just a wee bag with 6 or 7 clubs should do fine.

Have fun.

atb

PS - to see Cruit Island from above click on this link - http://binged.it/1bc2EHj
(link extracted with compliments to him from Dónal Ó Ceallaigh's photo tour of Dunfanghy)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:38:31 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Cruit Island - with pix - photos of all 9 holes now posted
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 11:00:23 AM »
Thomas, we are on the same wavelength. 

I will be suggesting "you may carry 3 clubs."

Which would you choose?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »
Which 3 clubs Tony? Some kinda hybrid, say about 22*, a 48* wedge and a putter, but then again I might carry a slightly stronger lofted hybrid, say 17* or so, and putt with it and carry a mid-iron of some sort plus the 48* wedge. Either way it would be good fun.

I'm sure a lot of players, especially younger ones brought up 14-club golf, would improve their game, particularly course management, if they (even just occasionally) played with only a few clubs, especially when playing a firm and fast course. But that's just IMO, others may disagree if they wish!

Generally I would say 3 clubs is just a few  light. I used 7 clubs at Cruit and that seemed about right, especially as not being a 'bomber' I needed a driver. 7 or 8 is my norm when carrying a lesser number of clubs.

I also like what Jeff says above, "Cruit is often panned as a one hole course. Anyone who would say or write that has either lost their soul, is blind, or is a GCA snob." Well said Jeff. IMO Cruit isn't just quirk, it's damn good golf.

Brian, it cost us 10-Euro each to play 9-holes at Cruit. A second-round was discussed but we had a longish car journey to make and we didn't want to do that on unlit and unknown West Donegal roads in the dark! I haven't played Strandhill (yet), but if it and Cruit are in any way comparable I need to get to Strandhill soonish.

atb

Sean Walsh

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 08:27:34 AM »
I visited in 2007. I made the detour after being blown off the back 9 at Rosapenna. It was so windy I didn't get the clubs out but had a look around the few holes closest to the clubhouse.  Great spot.  Thanks for the photos.

Had an honesty box and very reasonable fee. It's almost worth it just for the drive there.

The 3rd has a bit of Port Fairy 14 about it if you take out the greenside bunkers.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 08:40:50 AM »
Course looks like fun to play and a bona-fide links too....!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 05:04:20 AM »
Narin and Portnoon and Cruit Island...

Two of only a small handful of seaside courses in Ireland I've yet to see.... Need to make it this year, especially because these photos make Cruit Island look a lot more interesting than I was expecting...

Thanks Thomas

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 07:19:41 AM »
Narin and Portnoon and Cruit Island...

Two of only a small handful of seaside courses in Ireland I've yet to see.... Need to make it this year, especially because these photos make Cruit Island look a lot more interesting than I was expecting...

Thanks Thomas

Ally,
N & P and Cruit is an ideal 27-36 hole day followed by an evening of local craic in the Cruit clubhouse(a tremendous welcome) or town of Bunbeg is hard to beat.
Follow up with Gweedore and Dunfanaghy for another great 27 hole day
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 05:20:32 AM »
Looks like nothing more than a one-hole course to me, Jeff.

That is, assuming you mean first tee to ninth green. I suspect I'd love this place.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 01:33:32 PM »
I suspect I'd love this place.
I think a lot of people would if they had the opportunity.

When questioned by folk in Donegal where I'd been playing and I replied I'd played Cruit-Critch their eyes lit up with sheer delight and big smiles spread across their faces. It's a bit of a 'special' location, and damn fine golf too. Once played, never forgotten.

atb

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 07:43:07 AM »
Thanks for a compelling presentation, Thomas.  It causes me to realise that Ireland must be my next bucket list sojourn, with plenty of time scheduled to linger a while.  Sean's coment that there is a bit of Port Fairy in Cruit, rang a bell, in that I only stopped for a quick guided look with Shane, and upon seeing what I had to miss, thought maybe I left the best hidden gem of Oz, go by the wayside.  I don't want to make that mistake again and now know this not a drive-by miss.  The aerial map looks to be remote.  What are the lodging choices to base out of that area for short day trips to a few courses of this area where one can golf a day, then mingle in towns or villages a day, then golf another day, etc.?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Paul OConnor

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 12:30:07 PM »
Had a great visit to this magical course last week.    From the winding drive in on a two way road no bigger than a US cart path, to the head scratching on the tees trying to figure where the green was, to the joy of cresting the top of the hill on the blind tee shots to find the enchanted green sites below, absolutely mesmerizing.... As unique an experience as you will find on this planet. 

15 Euro for 9 holes easily made this course the favorite on a 12 course tour. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 05:50:40 PM »
Was there Saturday evening.
not a soul anywhere.
spectacular....
Only topped by the Dunfanaghy music festival that night ;D

George Freeman

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 06:58:53 PM »
Looks idyllic!!

Never would have guessed correct on the pronunciation...

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Doug Wright

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 05:05:22 PM »
I'll be playing there in two weeks' time--can't wait!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

RJ_Daley

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2016, 05:23:24 AM »
I just had to add my joy that after posting a couple years ago how much these photos by Dave ( Thomas ) had captured my enthusiasm to see Cruit, in deed this trip I did.  Whilst the radio said wind gusts were to 100kmph ! ;  I went out because I saw a foursome with a woman older than myself just fi nishing 9?  Two guys fr om St Lousis were just packing up and said how worth it for out of the way and weather their round was.  So off I went, 15euro poorer and a donated half dozen gift balls from the clubhouse man, who said "you're gonna need'em". 

The course had the bunkers/edging and sod walls nicely trimmed from Daves photo tour.  Most of rope lines and directional fences were gone.  Turf was excellent.  Despite pelting rain that blew right through my rain jacket, it was a blast.  I'd say the photos don't give you the full story of how many quirky/sporty features are to be found out there.  Just the nature of snapshots and no reflection on Dave's photo efforts. 

My personal list of "don't miss it".
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2016, 06:31:38 AM »
Mike Whitaker and I had just played 18 holes at Nairn Portnoo and were told we had to go over and play Cruit Island so off we went.  A member we met in the clubhouse said the first time he went to play the course he turned around before he got to it because he could not believe there would be a golf course at the end of such a narrow one lane road.  We were there late in the day and were charged 15 Euros to play.  What a great experience and I believe it would be enlightening to the vast majority of golfers who think great golf requires a manicured course with no blind shots and forgiving hazards. 

BTW: there was a sign in the clubhouse offering lifetime memberships for 2000 Euros.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 07:09:47 AM »
Dick and Jerry,

Very glad you both (and Mike and some other ex-Carne/Buda participants) were able to visit "Critch", a cracking place and a course I'm sure you'll never forget playing. I can picture the smiles on your faces from 3,000 miles away!

Visit Cruit Island folks, I doubt you'll regret it.

Atb

PS - There are loads of 9-holers in the west and north coasts of Ireland. I posted on a another thread about a potential tour of only the 9-holers. There'd be -

Connemara Links, the 9-holer at Connemara GC, Mulranny, Achilll, Doohoma (look it up!), Kilmore at Carne, Scurmore at Enniscrone, Bomore at County Sligo, Gweedore, Cruit Island, Coastguard at Rosapenna, Otway, Buncrana, Bann at Castlerock. I believe there may be a couple near Portrush, not sure of their names though. Any I've missed?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:13:26 AM by Thomas Dai »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
Dick and Jerry,

Very glad you both (and Mike and some other ex-Carne/Buda participants) were able to visit "Critch", a cracking place and a course I'm sure you'll never forget playing. I can picture the smiles on your faces from 3,000 miles away!

Visit Cruit Island folks, I doubt you'll regret it.

Atb

PS - There are loads of 9-holers in the west and north coasts of Ireland. I posted on a another thread about a potential tour of only the 9-holers. There'd be -

Connemara Links, the 9-holer at Connemara GC, Mulranny, Achilll, Doohoma (look it up!), Kilmore at Carne, Scurmore at Enniscrone, Bomore at County Sligo, Gweedore, Cruit Island, Coastguard at Rosapenna, Otway, Buncrana, Bann at Castlerock. I believe there may be a couple near Portrush, not sure of their names though. Any I've missed?

Thomas,

Gweedore has been promoted to the 14-hole category since last year. ;)
Bushfoot near Portballintrae looks like a pretty decent 9 hole links. I recall that pro David Jones may have remodelled it.

Thomas Dai

Re: CRUIT ISLAND - with pix - photos of all 9 holes now posted
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 10:35:54 AM »
Donal,
Thanks for the update. 14-holes now at Gweedore. Do you have any more photos to add to your excellent thread?
I've been to but not played Ballyheigue. Although pretty close to the sea it's more a parkland, not really a links, some very fine views though.
I missed out Bushfoot. Good spot.
Anyone know what Spanish Point is like?
atb

Later edit - the 3rd green at Cruit
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:29:24 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back