News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Donald Ross is posted
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:19:30 AM »
Following on from our December Feature ‘Interview’ with Old Tom Morris, this month’s mock one is with Donald Ross.

Once again, our subject will be characterized in his own words as I have lifted lines and personal quotes from Mr. Ross and reverse engineered the questions.  Chris Buie and his book The Early Days of Pinehurst (soon available on Amazon) provided much source material. The other resource was the 1936 PGA Championship Program that the Pinehurst Resort kindly reproduced and distributed at a small gathering last November with Mike Davis and Ben Crenshaw. Talk about star-studded (!) - OB Keeler, Richard Tufts and Tommy Armour all had articles in it as did our man from Dornoch. Another neat thing about the '36 program is that it shows the 5th hole listed as a 467 yard PAR 5 for that event. More on that later when I post an In My Opinion on the iconic 5th later this month.

Filmmaker Cob Carlson stopped in last weekend and showed me the updated version of his ~75 minute film on Ross. It is chock full of fascinating information largely because there is so much of interest to tell. While Ross never ventured west of California, his appeal is universal. For instance, every Australian I know who has played No. 2 feels an immediate connection to Ross. Similar to Royal Melbourne, not much dirt was moved from tee to green and the wide fairways bleed into the native scrub. Up ahead, WOW! A really wicked set of greens sets the stage for how the hole is played, often including the tee ball. Ross’s own description in this month’s interview of tackling the 8th hole newly enlightened me – and that’s after 35 plus rounds on the No.2 over 35 years.  ::) :-[

The eerie similarity of Ross’s opinion regarding equipment to Old Tom Morris’s is no surprise as OTM was Ross’s mentor and friend. ‘There’s a doggone club for every shot these days’, the two Scots scream! ‘Where is the skill in that?!’  So true, so true. Chris’s favorite quote is the eye-popping one about pace of play. The Wallies in America who specialize in excruciatingly slow play need only look at themselves to understand why the game doesn’t attract new blood. Yet, those who spend five hours at Swinley Forest TO PLAY 36 HOLES appreciate how joyful time can be spent outside with clubs in tow.

Anyway, lots to learn in listening to what Ross has to say as his sentiments remain timeless. Personally, I find Ross’s writing style mesmerizing. No wonder I always loved what Ron Whitten did in compiling the must read The Game Has Never Failed Me.

Hope you enjoy this month’s Feature Interview. The man hasn’t built a course in 66 years but he may well be GolfClubAtlas.com 2014 architect of the year!

Best,
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:00:19 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Peter Pallotta

Re: Feature Interview with Donald Ross is posted
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 04:10:56 PM »
Thank you, Ran and Mr. Ross

Mr Ross - I found it interesting that so much of your thinking revolved around the testing of good play in general, and was not framed specifically in terms of the enjoyment of/challenge for the scratch vs the average golfer.  I find this refreshing, and a bracing corrective to our modern day tendency to level the playing field (literally) lest a beginning/unskilled golfer start blaming the architect for his failings instead of himself.  

You mention the need for accuracy and sound thinking and fine ball striking (for example, with long irons); and you note that the penalities for poor play should be clear and definite (i.e. exact a toll), while not precluding the chance for recovery via an exceptionally good shot; and it is clear that the contours with which you enliven your greens are also meant was challenges that simply must be met.

Again, in all this you seem to make no distinction between the wants/needs/abilities of the scratch vs the average golfer, given that everything that you ask of the golfer applies equally to all golfers. The game of golf, you seem to suggest, has always been and should always continue to be first and foremost a test -- a varied and sometimes cerebral and often enjoyable test, no doubt, but a test nonetheless.

Indeed, your only nod to our modern-day mantra about a golf course having to be playable and enjoyable by all/all skill levels is your attempt to provide for alternate routes to the green -- i.e. one route for the skilled golfer (or to use your words, 'long hitter') and  a different route for the less skilled one (or, in your words, the 'short hitter'). But even then, you give the less skilled golfer no easy pass, and no notion that somehow the field of play should act for him as an equalizer -- for as you note: the alternate route will require three shots to reach the green, while the standard route only two.

Again, this is quite refreshing, and perhaps not in keeping with what many of us moderns believe you intended to do/create with your courses. After reading this interview, I now believe that as an architect you were as stern, direct and no nonsense as your Scottish heritage, buttoned-down attire and professorial mien would suggest!

Sadly to say, runaway technology has perhaps dulled the knife-edge of the many such tests you created, and left some of us with the impression of you as the kindly old grandfather of professional golf course architecture, happy to somehow have the casual hack enjoy that test as much as his more skilled and dedicated opponent, and even have a chance to beat him head to head.

Thank you again

Peter
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:26:53 PM by PPallotta »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »
"I’ve been playing golf for more than 50 years and I don’t believe there ever was a round in which I used more than six clubs. There’s a stick in the sack for every shot today. Thus, in a sense, the stick rather than the player makes the shot. When golf was golf, the player had to make a number of shots with the same clubs, half shots, three-quarter shots and so forth. I doubt that there are half a dozen players today who can bring off fractional shots with any degree of confidence. I don’t say this in criticism. It hasn’t been necessary for them to develop these shots. They have clubs which are designed to make the shots for them."

Well said Mr Ross.

atb

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 07:48:52 PM »
Well done, Ran!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back