News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Denver golf clubs
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:11:46 AM »
My son recently accepted a job in Denver.  I have researched clubs in the Denver area and it appears that most clubs have a hefty initiation fee. Are there any privet clubs that are more affordable for a young family without a lot of capital for the initiation fee?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Josh Tarble

Re: Denver golf clubs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:16:19 AM »
Tommy,
How old is your son?  I've found that most clubs - even the very high end ones have very nice junior rates, they just don't advertise those.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:24:15 AM »
The public scene in Denver is one of the best in the country. I would advise him to get acclimated for a year or two as their budget for skiing, hiking and biking may outweigh the need for private golf. What a lucky young man and a great city. My favorite in the world.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:36:30 AM »
Tommy,
How old is your son?  I've found that most clubs - even the very high end ones have very nice junior rates, they just don't advertise those.

My son is 37, so he probably won't qualify for junior rates.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 09:41:12 AM »
The public scene in Denver is one of the best in the country. I would advise him to get acclimated for a year or two as their budget for skiing, hiking and biking may outweigh the need for private golf. What a lucky young man and a great city. My favorite in the world.

John, he is moving from Minneapolis.  He said that if it is going to be cold, he wants a mountain.  He is a great skier.  But he would like to look into the a golf club. Many clubs in Denver stay open all year long and close only when there is snow.  I spent all of March skiing in Summit County and Vail.  I rode the lift with a guy who had a tee time in the afternoon.  Ski in the morning and play golf in the afternoon.  What a great place.
St. John of the Cross

Keith Phillips

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »
Lots of good options, but I like Bear Creek - I was a non-resident member for a couple years but no longer travel to Denver as frequently - men only - well-located in Lakewood, outstanding practice facilities, great staff and vibe, quirky Palmer course but overall a really fun place - I believe you can pay the initiation over several years, or buy a departing members bond at a good discount - Kirk Rider is Head Pro and a great guy - obviously not a family club but great for pure golf

Josh Tarble

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »
Ah, yeah probably right on the edge....when I was looking, most around here cut off at 35, but I found a few were 40 so maybe there's a chance.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 10:10:22 AM »
Black Bear in Parker is one of my designs, and last year on my visit, it was in great shape, and run as a mid level club by Cannongate.  Initial dues $5-8K and monthly 325-450 depending on level of golf membership.  Also has privleges at Blackstone, although I have never seen that one. Parker is SE, and probably further from the mountains than he might want to live, but a nice little community.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Greg Chambers

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »
Tommy,

When I lived in Denver I always enjoyed heading up to play Boulder CC.  Decent course, and the membership there always felt very laid back.  Another to look into would be Colombine CC.  They have a really great par three course that compliments it's original layout.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Gene Greco

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 10:45:30 AM »
Tommy

Maybe Doug "Do" Wright might chime in with some advice..

Gene

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Stephen Davis

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 10:57:19 AM »
Tommy,
I am down in Colorado Springs so not Denver, but there are several great options. I would think that a lot of it will depend on his preferences. Does he prefer to walk? Does he have small kids that he would want to be able to play the course? Is he married and does his wife want a place to play or enjoy the amenities? And most importantly where in Denver is he going to live?

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »
Come on Tommy,

Just give the kid a piece of his inheritance now so he has the downstroke for Colorado Golf Club and Ballyneal.   :-*

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:55:51 AM by JTigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 01:36:18 PM »
Tommy - PM me.  I have all the info on every Denver area private club (yes, including CGC!).

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
Barny,

Denver?????

I thought San Francisco was your favorite city in the world. I could swear that was you sporting the pink tutu and nipple rings last June in the Gay Transgender Parade.

Tommy,

I'm not sure why it gets no love around here, but the Dunes Course at Riverdale (just north of Denver) is terrific. I stumbled across it years ago by pure chance. Every hole has some salient feature or arrangement that got my attention. No surprise, but I later found out it was built when Pete Dye had Doak under his wing.

In many ways (Heresy warning, for those easily upset, please avert your eyes) from a design standpoint, I thought it was superior to Cherry Hills.

For apres golf, I highly recommend a snifter back in the city at the Brown Palace, one of the most beautiful hotels I've ever seen - with a gorgeous darkwood bar full of comfy leather chairs and bartenders who actually know how to pour drinks (with a heavy hand) the old fashioned way.    

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 02:19:39 PM »
The Brown Palace with gorgeous dark wood?  and here I thought Denver was a conservative town...   8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 02:51:28 PM »
Barny,

Denver?????

I thought San Francisco was your favorite city in the world. I could swear that was you sporting the pink tutu and nipple rings last June in the Gay Transgender Parade.

It was a LBGT Pride parade. Not a parade for Gay Transgenders. My straight transgender friends would be offended to automatically be categorized as gay.

Doug Wright

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 06:59:54 PM »
Tommy

Maybe Doug "Do" Wright might chime in with some advice..

Gene

Happy to help. Tommy, where in the Denver area is he living?

PS The words "young family" and "Bear Creek" mentioned above do not mix.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:02:15 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 09:35:42 PM »
Erik is living temporarily at Capital Hill. He likes the area and might remain close to that area.
St. John of the Cross

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 11:20:24 PM »
Barny,

Since Father O'Reilly at Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt in the bowels of Indiana is not likely to green light Dykes on Bikes or matching nipple rings for special friends at the YMCA, I can only conclude you've organized a craps game on Brokeback Mountain to scratch that itch until your next trip to Olympic.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:44:18 AM by Gib Papazian »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 11:42:29 PM »
Gib,

While I have never asked, my openly transgender friend has never given me indication of being gay. Odd as it may sound, southern Indiana is not exempt from loving and accepting people of all races, creeds and sexual preferences. 

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 12:48:15 AM »
Jaka Barn,

Okay fair enough. I was not aware the Rustbelt was a hotbed of sexual tolerance, where transvestites roam Main Street USA. In celebration of your inclusive little hollow, I suggest you parade the aforementioned Tranny to the member-guest at all 11 clubs you belong to.

To paraphrase Dr. Seuss: "We're here, we're here, we're here and we're queer!"

Yeah, Horton Hears a Hoosier.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 01:01:34 AM »
Gib,

I get that you think it's funny to offend the LBGT community but on a day that I quoted Martin Niemöller I can't just sit by and ignore it. I would love to take Fran to a member guest at any of my clubs except for the small matter of me being married.  If I am going to have a woman as a playing partner she is going to be my wife.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 01:24:47 AM »
Gillette,

What does a Lutheran Minister critical of Hitler have to do with anything? Was Niemoller an activist for homosexual rights? Nope, he just thought killing innocent Jews was an affront to God. I'm not offending anybody - and unlike you, do not live in a wasteland of narrow-minded, insular, jack-booted, lockstep fundamentalists. Last I looked, Indiana didn't approve of gay anything.

You're so full of shit sometimes - the champion of all things tolerant and right who mercilessly picks on people too meek or polite to defend themselves. There is absolutely no way you'd take this Fran person to the Member-Guest at Victoria. Bullshit bullshit bullshit.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:46:01 AM by Gib Papazian »

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 10:42:05 AM »
When I visited Ballyneal I kept thinking that if I lived in Denver I would totally want to be a member.

It's certainly not a "go after work" place, but it's an excellent "get away from it all for a day or two" place.

Or maybe it becomes YOUR national club ;D

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 10:56:14 AM »
Perhaps I'm not posted, but driving around lost, I came across Denver CC; a friend whose taste I respect told me it was a true hidden gem. Does anybody know what's up with it? I read a little bit and it sounds like a mish-mash that had Gil come in and straighten it around, but only know one person who has been on the property.

Any thoughts? I've no clue if it is expensive or not for Tommy's son, but is it worth seeing? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back