News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daniel_Wexler

Re: George Bahto
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2014, 05:52:59 AM »
George:

Very few people know how much of a help you were when I did Missing Links and Lost Links, but I am eternally grateful.

Not grateful enough to start rooting for the Devils, mind you, but pretty damned grateful.

Hang in there, my man!

DW

Steve Lapper

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2014, 06:15:16 AM »
George,

I fondly remember all our time spent together. Your passion, fiery determination, and inexhaustable thirst for the historic truth has forever left an impact on anyone who's good fortune it was to have crossed paths. From our first walk down the bridal paths of HFGC to our spirited and memorable conversations, you've made me a keener observer and wiser friend. Your sage advice on all things from raising daughters to interpreting the past remains invaluable.

I know whatever it is you are facing has little chance of breaking your spirit. Please know that myself, along with a legion of those who don't post here, are thinking about you and yours. Stay strong my friend!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:02:54 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2014, 07:37:18 AM »
My thoughts are with you George.
Although we have never met in person I have enjoyed corresponding with you about the great articles you have given to our magazine Golf Architecture. Thanks George.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2014, 07:45:46 AM »
George, I can't tell you how many times I've used your Macdonald book as a resource or just even to reread a passage for pleasure. I go to it at least once a week and oftentimes more. To me, a big fan of Macdonald's work, it's amazing there's just one book on him. But that fact is not as amazing as the opportunity we've all had on here to quiz and converse with the author.

So many gifts have come from the book and from those interactions. (One that pops into my head right now is I did not understand the true definition of a Cape hole before reading your book.) Thank you for bringing light to a corner of the golf world that deserves light. Without you that corner would be far dimmer. CB owes you big time.

Godspeed and God bless. GBGB.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2014, 08:07:54 AM »
George, Meeting you and your family was truly a great and real highlight in the never ending saga of meeting great people, through Ran's folly.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Hendren

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2014, 08:29:29 AM »
My favorite Uncle George story involves him indirectly.  Pardon me since I've posted this before.

At a MucciFest a few years ago I wanted to play The Knoll while in the area.  Uncle George encouraged me to contact them and request a tee time - apparently somewhat of a mysterious process there.  I did so and arranged an early morning tee time.  I seem to recall they do two shotguns daily.

I arrive at the course at 7:45 a.m. on a rainy weekday.  Third car in the lot.  I go into the clubhouse and am practically confronted by three gentlemen straight out of The Sopranos.  I tell them I have a tee time arranged by Steve.  Their gruff reply:  "Nobody named Steve works here."

I explain I have an 8:00 a.m. tee time.  Their gruff reply:  "We have a shotgun tournament at 8."  Again, it's pouring and there are only 3 cars in the lot at 7:45.

I explain I've traveled from Tennessee to play The Knoll.  Their gruff reply:  "We don't take credit cards."

I reply that I have cash and they hem and haw.  Running out of arguments, I finally drop Uncle George's name:  "George Bahto is proud of his work here and strongly recommended I see it."

Their gruff reply:  "Yeah?  George don't come around here much more."

Finally, a new member of the Knoll mafia/union arrives and takes pity on me.  I go off as a single and have the course to myself.  To top it off I got up and down from the deep bunkering fronting the 18th green.

I'm so glad I persisted.   The enlightening cultural exchange and the fabulous golf course make for a great memory.  GBGB.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Robert Emmons

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2014, 08:43:33 AM »
George,

Thanks for al your support on our resto of Huntington CC. Your thoughts confirmed what we were trying to do.....Best wishes and prayers...RHE

JLahrman

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2014, 08:44:58 AM »

Somebody please make this one the website's home page photo.

Best of luck Mr. Bahto, the human body can be an incredibly resilient vessel and I hope you can conquer your ailment.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2014, 09:37:43 AM »
More prayers and good wishes heading your way.

May your days be filled with peace and happiness,

Bart

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2014, 10:41:18 AM »
George, I had the pleasure of meeting you at Sleepy Hollow.  Your book, Evangelist of Golf, has given me hours of pleasure. It was wonderful to read the history of Gibson Island and Annapolis GC.  I pray you find strength and your family surround you with love.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Eder

« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2014, 11:13:03 AM »
Mr. Bahto,

Thank you so much for your important contributions to this great game through your fantastic books, insight, enthusiasm, and influence and encouragement to those clubs you have so fortunately aided in rediscovering their greatness. I am fortunate and thankful to have been directly impacted by your influence but your impact, directly and indirectly, on all lovers of this game and architecture is large and will be appreciated for decades to come.

Please accept my sincere thanks for all you have done. My prayers are with you and your family.

Jim

Norbert P

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »
George, we're all in your corner rootin' for ya.  And I've got two bucks cash on the billiard table for a match.

Thanks for the grand positive affect that you have caused throughout golf and humanity.

BTW, you are an honorary Oregonian.   

With healing wishes, Slag
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

John Kirk

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2014, 01:49:45 PM »
Hi George,

I'm sorry you are feeling ill.  We met briefly at Bandon Dunes, and we've never had the opportunity to discuss golf, or play golf together.

"The Evangelist Of Golf" may be my favorite golf architecture book.  Your knowledge of C. B. Macdonald's work enabled you to participate in the construction of Old Macdonald in Bandon, Oregon, which must have been a great thrill and honor.  Thanks for all your hard work, and I hope you feel better soon.

John

Billsteele

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »
My thoughts and prayers to George and his family. His passion and thirst for knowledge on this subject we all obsess over is justly admired. Long may it continue.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2014, 04:14:14 PM »
There will never be another George Bahto so , for largely selfish reasons, I hope and pray our friend can hang in there.

I wonder if George ever cracked that cache of hidden MacDonald/NGLA memorabilia that the grandson of , I think the original , Supt had stashed in his garage. He told me that when MacDonald passed he was the one who cleaned out his effects from several locations in and around the club. Well if he didn't I hope he has access via one form or another.

Cheers George. I only regret not spending more time with you.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Robert Kimball

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »
I never met him face to face, but I can't tell you how much George means to me as a person and a golfer. I just took down The Evangelist from my bookshelf and looked at it once again. I know I don't stand alone when I say "Thank You George."

I wish I could be half as passionate about something as he is about golf course architecture.

Sending positive thoughts and wishes to him and his family.

-- Rob

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »
George Bahto, second from the left, lending dignity to the proceedings on Ben’s Porch in 2005.

Pat Mucci is conspicuous in his absence as he was sulking off in the corner having just lost to me and my HICKORIES.

No less an authority than George himself proclaimed,  ‘It was the finest display of hickories since the great Charles Blair Macdonald wielded them.’ Actually, I might have been the one to say that but no matter: facts are facts.  ;D

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »
One more from Ben's Porch:

@Wildhorse

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:27:03 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »

Somebody please make this one the website's home page photo.

Seconded.

All the best, Mr. Bahto. I'll pull out my "Evangelist" tonight again, in your honor -- and see what I can learn about my new home course (a Raynor).

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom Dunne

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2014, 05:49:34 PM »
George,

Back in early 2003, I'd just blundered into my first magazine job at "The Golfer" in New York. "The Evangelist" was a brand new book at the time, and I remember stealing glances at Colin Sheehan's copy in the office whenever I could. I had a great light bulb moment when I connected CBM's templates to a few of the holes on the Banks course that I'd grown up with. It was one of a small handful of books that set me on the path I've been on as a writer ever since.

Thank you.    

I've enjoyed and gained so much from the small amount of time we've spent together, over drinks or on the phone. You have the respect and admiration of so many in the GCA community and the golf community as a whole. Here's wishing you and your family nothing but the very best.

Tom

Dan Moore

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »
George,

We have not met except through your book. 

Thank you for an amazing book and best of luck. 

Dan Moore
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

John Foley

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2014, 08:59:24 PM »
George's passion & talent was always so inspirational. I love the story of his second career and how much of a difference he made in all of our enjoyment of this great site.

Thoughts and prayers to you & your family.

Raynorfan
Integrity in the moment of choice

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2014, 09:57:38 PM »
George,

The photos of Sand Hills brings back fond memories of the good times spent with my cabin mate.

We have a good deal in common, NJ, The Knoll, a love of golf, CBM and fighting the fight.

Hang in there and know that all who met you, care for you.

You're in our thoughts and prayers.

ed_getka

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2014, 10:49:23 PM »
George,
    It was such a pleasure to have had the good fortune to know you. From the time I raced over to Olympic Club on my lunch break so you could sign my copy of Evangelist., to our visit at the Knoll with Mike Nuzzo, to opening day at Old Mac, to the piece de resistance when you showed us around your basement workshop when Ash Towe came up from  New Zealand last summer. Ash has met a lot of great people from GCA, but I knew having the chance to meet you  would be a rare highlight. I only wish I had had a tape recorder at dinner with Ash and Scott while I asked you hundreds of questions to learn how you went from dry cleaning to golf design deity. Mere words are wholly inadequate to describe the collective depth of affection we feel for you George. Although I am seriously looking forward to Gib's attempt!!!
    I am sure you will be with family and dear friend's during this challenging time. I am sad your body has not been able to keep pace with your spirit. I take comfort  in knowing that a piece of your spirit will reside in each of us long into the future. You have achieved the dream that I have for my two sons. You have made the world a better place.
   Mrs. Bahto (forgive me for forgetting your name), thank you for sharing George with us all these years. I'm sure there were times when sharing George was a burden for you and we are eternally grateful that you did.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:55:49 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2014, 11:12:29 PM »
For those who may not know, those pictures from Sand Hills represent one of the greatest gatherings in GCA history. To have eavesdropped on the conversations that week would have been enlightening to say the least. I'm sure I'll forget some of the names, but Ran, George Bahto, Bob Huntley, Pat Mucci, Tom Paul, Neil Regan, Gene Greco, Mike Sweeney, Tom Huckaby were all there. I third the nomination of George's sand shot having a prominent space on the website. The man is wearing his NGLA shirt for crying out loud!! Couple that photo with Sir Bob escaping from the massive bunker to the left of #4 at SH and you have the start of an interesting photo gallery. 8)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:15:14 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back