News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Last year, a group of us trekked up to Kohler for the 'spring special' at Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run River Course:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,55210.0.html

Remembering it as a long, enjoyable day with great company, let's do it again in 2014. I just hope that the snow thaws by May 3rd. (Thanks to BobG for identifying the details.)

DATE:  
Saturday, May 3, which is the last Saturday for the "April Special."  (Well, the courses only open on April 25...)

TIMES/FEES:
Oddly, I had the same lousy timing this year, too, getting nearly the same tee times but with the courses in the reverse order: River, then Straits. It's also the same pricing as last year. I booked three tee times on each course:

Blackwolf Run, River Course
Tee times:               9:30, 9:40, 9:50 a.m.
Greens fee:             $95
Cart fee:                  $15/ person*

Whistling Straits. Straits Course
Tee times:                 2:40, 2:50, 3:00 p.m.
Greens fee:              $135
Mandatory caddie:   $65 + recommended. $40 tip*
http://www.americanclubresort.com/rates/golf_rates.html
    Fees do not include tax.*

FYI: Sunset is at 7:55 p.m.

Who's in?  First come, first served.  If interested, let me know if you want to play both courses or just one of them.

CONFIRMED/INTERESTED
Steve Salmen
Salmen friend
Bill Seitz (tentative)
Chris Hufnagel (tentative)
Scott Wintersteen (tentative)
Ken Fry
Fry friend
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:49:23 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jason Thurman

I can't do it this year due to a schedule conflict, but I greatly encourage anyone thinking about it to take advantage. I had a great time last year. The value is exceptional considering the rack rates at each course, and the company was excellent.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Bob_Garvelink

I sure hope the weather works out for anybody that is able to enjoy this deal.  It looks like I'm going to take advantage of the early season special although I don't think I'll be able to make May 3.

I have never been to Kohler and am considering playing all 4 courses.  Can anybody talk about the Irish and Meadow courses. Are they worth playing for $70.

I do plan to play Erin Hills and Lawsonia later in the summer so those are not options but am curious what others will say about playing all 4 courses.

Cheers!

Bob
"Pure Michigan"

Matthew Sander

Bummed to miss out again this year, but I think missing my daughter's First Communion would be thoroughly frowned upon.

Jason Thurman

Bob, I did all four last year - two on a work trip and two with Howard and Co..

The Irish is fun. It's good moments are better than most people let on, but it's bad moments aren't mudane - they're flat out offensive. It's nothing special and it's by far the worst at the resort, but $70 is a fair price. The par 3s are outstanding. I'm glad I played it, but pretty sure I'll never play it again considering its neighbors.

I don't think you can miss Meadow Valleys for $70. The first ten holes are a snoozefest, but 11-18 is arguably the best stretch at the entire resort. It's really a phenomenal run over amazing terrain. I'd play those 8 holes alone for $70 and be happy to do so. If I'm splitting 10 rounds at the resort, I wouldn't do less than two on Meadow-Valleys.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Howard Riefs

Bummed to miss out again this year, but I think missing my daughter's First Communion would be thoroughly frowned upon.

You and your creative excuses....

Congrats to you and your family.

Bob, I did all four last year - two on a work trip and two with Howard and Co..

The Irish is fun. It's good moments are better than most people let on, but it's bad moments aren't mudane - they're flat out offensive. It's nothing special and it's by far the worst at the resort, but $70 is a fair price. The par 3s are outstanding. I'm glad I played it, but pretty sure I'll never play it again considering its neighbors.

I don't think you can miss Meadow Valleys for $70. The first ten holes are a snoozefest, but 11-18 is arguably the best stretch at the entire resort. It's really a phenomenal run over amazing terrain. I'd play those 8 holes alone for $70 and be happy to do so. If I'm splitting 10 rounds at the resort, I wouldn't do less than two on Meadow-Valleys.

Sorry you can't join us, Bob.

I would agree with Jason's assessment.  As background, the US Women's Open hosted at Blackwolf Run in 1999 and 2012 was held on a composite course of Meadow Valley and River:

*  Meadow Valleys Course:  Holes 10-18
*  River Course:  Holes 1-4 and 14-18
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 11:33:15 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Howard Riefs

Bump.  Who else is having spring fever?

Steve Salmen

Scott Wintersteen

I'm tentatively in right now.  Will know for sure in the next week or two.

Howard Riefs

I'm tentatively in right now.  Will know for sure in the next week or two.

Very good.  I added you to the list.

Josh Tarble

Really wish I could make it up again for it this year...just a bit too far away for me.

Thanks to you, Howard, for arranging this.  It's really a fantastic offer and a great time had by all.

PCCraig

Howard,

I wish I could make this, but I'll be home alone that weekend with a new puppy. Hopefully they run this same deal next year, as it would be fun to make the trip across Wisconsin to tee it up with you guys.
H.P.S.

Howard Riefs

Really wish I could make it up again for it this year...just a bit too far away for me.

Thanks to you, Howard, for arranging this.  It's really a fantastic offer and a great time had by all.

Will just have to get you back in 2015.

Howard,

I wish I could make this, but I'll be home alone that weekend with a new puppy. Hopefully they run this same deal next year, as it would be fun to make the trip across Wisconsin to tee it up with you guys.

Will definitely need to tee it up another time.

Congrats on the new puppy.  What's its name: Ross? Raynor? Mac? Tillie?

PCCraig

Congrats on the new puppy.  What's its name: Ross? Raynor? Mac? Tillie?

Seve  ;D
H.P.S.

Ian Mackenzie

Could not find those rates on the AC web site.

At those rates, I may be inclined to play the Straits with a few friends.
I am one who believes that, with the exception of the Straits course (at $225, not $370),  the American Club (and its courses) is the most overrated resort in the world.

Was there last summer with the Mrs. and am continually underwhelmed at every turn.

Mark Smolens

Underwhelmed at the middle nine holes of the River Course  ??? Here's hoping they weren't open when you visited. . . they could be my favorite nine holes played in the fall on any course around.

Ken Fry

If anyone is interested, we're staying overnight Saturday and playing Sunday, May 3rd.  I'm not sure where yet but we'll fit in another round before heading back to South Bend.

Drop me a note if you're interested.

Ken

Howard Riefs

I'm going to have to unfortunately sit out the Kohler outing thanks to the issue with my finger (http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58138.0.html).

Ken has graciously agreed to take over and coordinate.

If others are still interested, just reply to this thread or contact Ken via DM.

Ken Fry

We're a little over two weeks out for the trip and I'm making this the last call for anyone who would like to meet up at The American Club.  The following guys are confirmed:

CONFIRMED

Steve Salmen
Salmen friend
Bill Seitz
Scott Wintersteen
Ken Fry
Fry friend

TENTATIVE
Chris Hufnagel

Please respond to this thread or contact me via Instant Message to sign up.  If there's no further interest I'll drop one of the tee times at each course.  Please let me know by Saturday, April 26th.

Ken

Kevin Lynch

Ken,

I may be interested in joining you that Saturday.

My wife has an ABA conference in Chicago from Wednesday thru Sunday.  I have scheduled myself to travel from Thursday thru  Sunday to join her.

I have a client in Schaumburg, and may try to incorporate some business on Thursday/Friday.  If that happens, I'll have to leave Saturday available for the wife.  But if the client visit doesn't happen, I may be able to drive up to Kohler for Saturday, assuming I'm able to spend quality time with my wife (and friends in Chicago)on Thurs/Fri.

I should have better information in the next 4 or 5 days depending on client preparedness.

Mark Smolens

Played in the opening spring event on the River and Straits Courses this weekend. As has been noted on numerous other threads, the harsh winter was very tough on golf courses in the Midwest, and these two are no exception. Despite the aerification holes the greens rolled okay -- tho three footers were adventurous at times, especially on the exposed greens at Whistling Straits (where we played in 20 to 30 mph gusts and 45 degree temps!). The greens at the River Course remain as difficult to read as any that I have ever putted on. I can't recall I round where I hit more horrifically read putts. . . thank God for young Matt our caddie on the Straits. Shot 80 in pretty tough conditions weather-wise with three three putts (bad putting, not bad reading), but he consistently gave me the correct lines.

Have fun out there guys, and don't skip the corn chowder in the restaurant at BWR...

Howard Riefs

How was the day in Wisconsin?

Ken Fry

How was the day in Wisconsin?

Howard,

It turned out to be a great weekend.  We got exceptionally lucky with weather.  Sunny all day Saturday but very breezy, especially in the morning.  Many times it was a 3 club wind, which is never easy but more so when it's your first rounds of the year!

It's always great to catch up with guys from here.  We all got the chance to play some golf together which worked out well.

This was my first time playing River and Straits.  The early season, along with the rough winter, made for some less than ideal playing conditions but the experience was worth the trip.  After some reflection on the drive home and only 1 round on each course, I preferred the River course over Straits.  I enjoyed the variety and terrain of the River course.  The 9 holes that were added on the northeast side of the Sheboygan River were fun, interesting and unique.  The terrain was fantastic and there was an interesting mixture of challenges.  I'd seen plenty of photos of holes like #8, #9, #11 and #13 but was still surprised by each.

As a side note, my friend and I played Sunday morning just west of Blackwolf Run at The Bull at Pinehurst Farms.  I'll admit I was skeptical about playing this Nicklaus course especially after seeing two of Kohler's best.  Anyone traveling into the area, don't discount The Bull.  The property had wonderful movement to it and the course had many uniquely designed holes.  I'm an ex-golf pro and it's hard to remove the cost of playing when considering courses.  At peak season rates of $135, The Bull is a steal compared to the Kohler courses.

Thanks for getting things organized at Kohler Howard.  I'm glad I finally got to play there.

Ken

Howard Riefs

Ken,

Thanks for the recap. Glad that you had an enjoyable weekend.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back