News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Can We Help Save Mulranny?
« on: February 11, 2014, 04:33:21 PM »
Please, no global warming debates here.

I think this golf course is worth saving.  I'd be happy to put some of my own money behind that sentiment, as well as helping to find other money.  All I need is some assurance from the coastal engineers who have consulted there that they can make a difference for a reasonable amount of money.

Has anyone started trying to raise money on the Irish side?  How can we help?

Tony Ristola

Josh Tarble

Re: Can We Help Save Mulranny?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »
Tom,
Serious question as I know some people think its kind of hokey....

But have you thought of trying out Kickstarter as a means for helping the cause?  I'm sure if you were wanting to get significant resources behind it and offered various rewards, this may seriously help.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »
Tom,
Ivan Morris had a few comments about appealing to Irish clubs (much like they did with Ballybunion in the 70s) in the comments section of the article.
His idea was 100 clubs donating 1000 euros each
I sent him a Facebook message (don't know how to contact him otherwise as he doesn't participate anymore)
Haven't heard anything yet.
As previously posted, I'm in for a contribution as well as my club.

As you're aware, I have a vehicle for promotion should we come up with a viable plan
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jack_Marr

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 04:51:32 PM »
I wonder if Donald Trump could help. I'm not sure he does public relations, but this would be great public relations.
John Marr(inan)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 04:57:15 PM »
GCA together? Help at Mulranny, play Westport-Carne etc?
atb

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 07:19:40 PM »
Two things.  If the club wants help from individuals they should offer life memberships or some such.  Second, GCAers could easily band together, create a donation scheme then offer the proceeds to Mulranny.  Some clever boy on this site could even create a website where donations could be accepted.  If Ran etc got their names behind the "charity" it could raise a decent sum of money, epsecially if well placed letters were sent out to big wigs and even golf manufacturing companies and the USGA, R&A etc.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Steve Wilson

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 08:51:58 PM »
I for one would be willing to kick in some cash.  I think the idea of a lifetime membership might be a good incentive especially for those of us who wouldn't be able to hog the tee sheet for years on end.  Let's keep this at the the forefront of the site and see what we can do.

This sounds like the kind of course the members of this site should appreciate.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 09:57:09 PM »
For the price of a limo, The Donald could do some good and win some friends for life.

Tom_Doak

Re: Can We Help Save Mulranny? (here's how)
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »
I heard this morning from the secretary of Mulranny Golf Club -- I hadn't found an address for them, but they found me after someone mentioned this thread on GCA.  His note is reproduced below.

So, now I am putting my money where my mouth is -- literally and figuratively.  As promised in my note back to him, I will see whether some of my patrons and other lovers of links golf and Irish golf here in the U.S. might be willing to contribute to the improvement of the course's coastal erosion defenses, as I will.  I would hope that we could raise half the money needed on this side of the ocean, to match funds donated by other clubs in Ireland.  If you are interested in helping, please contact me by personal message here.

The letter:

Hi Tom,

I am writing to you from Mulranny golf links Ireland. Thank you for your mention of our plight on the golfclubatlas. As I’m sure you are aware we have had two serious tidal breeches in the last month resulting in serious flooding and damage to the course. We have sustained major damage to the costal defences we installed in 1991 following hurricane Charlie. The area engineer has estimated that these defences have dropped nearly one meter and these defences would have to be raised at least one and a half meters to avoid the risk of further flooding and damage with an estimated cost of 100,000 to 150,000 Euros depending on the cost of the rock armour. 
At the moment we have successfully pumped out the water for a second time and are in the process of removing the hundreds of tons of rocks deposited on the fairways and greens.
Unfortunately we have depleted all of our financial resources with the machinery we needed to hire to pump out the water and remove the rocks. Because the course has been closed since the start of the year we are not getting any membership in and we have no revenue coming in from competitions or society bookings which we had to cancel.

Following consultation with various members of the golfing community in Ireland we have decided to contact golf courses throughout Ireland to ask if they would consider holding a competition {Save Mulranny Golf Links} with the proceeds going to the costal defence fund. We are also trying to set up a donation link on our website (mulrannygolfclub.com).
We would be very grateful if you would consider lending your support for this fundraising campaign. If you have any plans on visiting Ireland in the near future it would be great to get your opinion and ideas on the course and its protection. I have attached some photos of the damage to the costal defences.

Many thanks again for taking the time to consider the plight of a small 9 hole links on the west of Ireland coast.

Kind regards  Fergus Rothwell  H/sec Mulranny golf links

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 07:08:33 PM »
If you google Mulranny golf club, their website pops up, On it there are instructions to email them if interested in helping.
I did this three days ago and have heard no reply.

I mentioned Tom's offer in my email and I also think someone else pointed it out because Brian Keogh of "Irish Golf desk" had a note on his websitte referencing Tom as well
I suspect they are having internet and power issues with the weather they've had, as well as their hands full dealing with the mess.
(and it is rural Ireland..... ;D ;D)

i also sent a tweet about the situation  @jeffwarnegolf   and retweeted  @Irishgolfdesk info about Mulranny

I'll await Mulranny's response, or a link on their website to donate, or lI will ump in my donation by PMing Tom as he suggests.

Thanks Tom for bringing it to our attention
Spread the word
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:25:37 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Gary Slatter

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 07:32:45 PM »
Can we save Florida's Justice System?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 08:55:25 AM »
I wish the good people of Mulranny well but fear that the future of their club will come down to their own efforts rather than purely third party financial help bailing them out. Sustainability has become a buzzword word in recent times and clubs like Mulranny can only sustain themselves through the efforts of the likes of Fergus Rothwell and fellow members digging in. They can be offered all the outside help going but if the members don't stick with it it will simply fold.

I'd draw a comparison with the Kingston & Garmouth club and Spey Bay club, both of which are located on either side of the mouth of  the Spey in Moray. Like Mulranny both clubs are local community clubs in the truest sense with memberships I suspect of less than 200 each. In the past at Kingston & Garmouth they had to re-arrange the course to accommodate the vagaries of the river Spey. (I've told the story before on here but worth telling again. A friend of mine was playing once with an old timer from the club and as they played one of the holes skirting the Spey, the member pointed out to the middle of the Spey and said, "Do ye see that ?". "See what ?" says my friend. "That there" says the old timer, "that used to be lovely wee par 3".) You generally know when winter arrives when the P&J shows the annual picture of the course completely under water with only the top of the flagsticks showing. Somehow the club has managed to survive by its own efforts.

Spey Bay is similar and has in the recent past lost holes to the sea such that they had three new holes built on the land side. For years the club has struggled on and looked like it might fold until the course was bought recently by a local business man who tarted up the basic clubhouse/changing facility and replaced the ageing gang mower that was falling apart. While it is now a "commercial" venture, it is the ongoing support of the club that helps pay the bills.

Perhaps the best way we can all support the Mulrannys, Spey Bays, and Kingston & Garmouths is to seek them out, pay the modest greenfee and give them a play. Can't speak for Mulranny but the other two are certainly worth the effort IMO.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 02:10:51 PM »
Niall,

I have never played  Kingston & Garmouth club but Spey Bay was a real find when I played it with fellow GCAer John Chilver-Stainer a couple of years back. Great course that is really a hidden gem.

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
Anyone have any news in relation to Mulranny? Such a shame what happened over the winter. Wish them all the best.
atb

Howard Riefs

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »
The course recently re-opened for play.  I don't know the condition:

Posted on April 14, 2014 by hsecmgc
We are pleased to announce that Mulranny golf links is back open for business with reduced green fee rates of just 15 euro for 18 holes for April. We urge you to come and play to see the fine job the members have done in restoring this beautiful links. Your support is greatly needed and appreciated.

http://mulrannygolfclub.com/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 05:27:29 AM »
Thanks for this update Howard. Good to know there's been progress. Somewhere I'd like to visit and play one day.
atb

Jim Sherma

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 06:01:59 PM »
I will be in the area and am looking to play Mulranny towards the end of May. The website had no contact info but appeared active. Looking forward to turning a buddy onto his first true links here before we get to the rest of the trip. Does anybody have contact info? I found an email on line but am not sure it's active.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 06:31:35 PM »
Quite a few of us who played in last year's Buda had a chance to play Mulranny (Steve Wilson was head over heels.) which is so a great and unique experience.  Unfortunately they did lose part of one hole along the sea but it is still great fun.  Cruit Island is also a wonderful nine holer which is on a point which is surrounded by water.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 04:17:45 AM »
Jim

There's almost certainly no need for you to book in advance. Just be sure to arrive with cash in hand, as it is an honesty box payment system.

The BUDA contingent had a wonderful time there last year and so will you. It is a cracking 9-holer and well worth a stop.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 04:23:46 AM »
Jim,
Just turn up, put some Euro's in an envelope provided into the honesty box, take a ticket and go play.
And take a camera. If you're hungry grab some food in the village at the cafe/pub/hotel with epic views over Clew Bay.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63585.msg1514427.html#msg1514427
Atb

Jim Sherma

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »
Sounds great. We will definitely stop in for a quick 9!

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »
Sounds great. We will definitely stop in for a quick 9!

Plenty of cattle/sheep eaten spectacular "alternate tees' in the dunes on several holes if you look around and use your imagination #s 5 or 6 and 9 for sure(depending upon what erosion did)

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 01:23:46 PM »
Tom D started this thread to seek out support for the club to deal with storm damage and flooding. I'd be interested in hearing how that outside help panned out and how much the club managed to resolve the issues through their own resources. Tom/Jeff - did the club keep in touch with you after you getting in touch with them ?

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back