News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Wales Open - Celtic Manor 2010 course
« on: September 01, 2013, 04:39:54 AM »
I'm unsure to what extent the event is available to be seen on TV in other parts of the globe, but has anyone been watching the Wales Open from the Celtic Manor 2010 course on TV? Nice to see the weather all sunny and players able to play in short sleeves rather than jackets. Scorings high too.

What do you think of the course itself as a test of golf? Just the course though, the quality of the individual holes etc, rather than the distance to the 1st tee or any of that other stuff that sometimes clouds the mind.

I've spectated there in the rain and mud while listening to the singing and watching players and caddies wearing 'Rory wigs' and have played it too, and liked it quite a bit as a modern style strong test of golf with wonderful conditioning.

All the best.

Bill_McBride

Re: Wales Open - Celtic Manor 2010 course
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:51:41 AM »
Where would you prefer to play, Celtic Manor or Royal Porthcawl down the road?

Paul Gray

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:39:07 AM »
It's right up there with those other great courses in Britain such as The Belfry, Chart Hills and The Oxfordshire!  ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Paul Dolton

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »
You could ask the same question omiting Royal Porthcawl, with Southerndown, Pennard, Pyle and Kenfig, Ashburnham and Clyne .
Further down road is Tenby. But not Machynys Peninsular !

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 01:20:51 PM »
You could ask the same question omiting Royal Porthcawl, with Southerndown, Pennard, Pyle and Kenfig, Ashburnham and Clyne .
Further down road is Tenby. But not Machynys Peninsular !

Exactly. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 01:53:36 PM »
My question is not about comparing courses or where you'd prefer to play. I would be the last to propose excluding courses of the likes of Royal Porthcawl, Southerndown, Pennard, Pyle and Kenfig, Ashburnham and Clyne, plus for that matter lesser inlanders such as Neath, Rogerstone, Radyr, St Mellions, Carmarthen, etc etc from a sometime trundle around golf courses in South Wales.

But that's not what I'm trying to probe in my question.

What do you think of the 2010 course at Celtic Manor as a test of golf...............just the course? The quality of the individual holes, the course architecture, the green complexes, the drainage, the run-offs, the dips and humps and hollows, the angles, the bunkering, the way the holes route together.

I'd be particularly interested to hear from those who've either actually played it or studied it.

I have played it, and I know other handicappers who have too, and, as an aside, no-one I know has yet bettered their handicap around the course, but I would like to know what you folk herein reckon from a purely golf course architecture point of view ignoring, if you please don't mind, any other local alternatives, the Ryder Cup razzamatazz, the viewing areas, the weather, the parking, the clubhouse etc etc.

All the best.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 02:15:47 PM »
Thomas, I have only seen Celtic Manor on the Ryder Cup broadcast.  I tried to answer your question with mine.  What I saw was of little interest with so much great golf nearby.  CM looked like a slog.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 01:57:34 AM »
Thomas,

Having been a regular visitor to the Celtic Manor over the last 15 odd years as my relatives live nearby.

Regarding the 2010 I would put it on similar lines to the Belfry as it is overrated in my view as a golf course itself. The first five holes were done by European Golf Design and holes 1,2 and 4 are very similar and one dimensional with the exception of holes 3 and 5. Hole 5 is a good hole which could be better in my view with a split fairway to have a more challenging drive as well as bring the water in play off the tee to enable an easier shot to the green.

Holes 6 to 13 are part of the old Wentwood Hills course designed by RTJ II. 6 is a challenging drive around a pond, 7 and 8 are a bit mundane. 9 is a long and challenging par 5 followed by 10 a par 3 and 11 a par 5. 12 and 13 are more interesting holes followed by 14 a new hole designed by European Golf Design which is a cracking par 4.

Hole 15 is the last of the RTJ II holes a short par 4 which is driveable but has rough in front of the green which I would put in a fairway instead with an cross bunker 40 yds short of the green.

Hole 16 to 18 are the new holes inserted into the hillside as a bespoke spectator viewing area for the 2010 Ryder Cup. Hole 16 is a long par 4 with a blind tee shot. Hole 17 is a straightforward par 3 and 18 a long 3 shot par 5 like a long airport runway.

To be honest I did not really have much fun here as it was a long slog and there was not much variety as most holes seemed to be one dimensional and the par 5s were all 3 shotters for me even that some on GCA know that I can hit the ball long!

The ground conditions is South Wales reddish clay which means it can get really boggy even in Spring and Autumn when it really rains in Wales. Also it is on the River Usk floodplain which increases the risk of flooding and future damage. I have only seen the River Usk flood the area of the 2010 course once in the last 25 years.

The Montgomerie course is a mix of the remaining holes of the old Wentwood Hills course and the Coldra Woods. I think it could have been much better than the current course in terms of layout and design.

The best of the 3 courses at Celtic Manor in my view is the Roman Road course designed by RTJ sr and it has the most interesting green complexes and has a good balance of testing holes and holes where you can attack. It is no pushover and I certainly had more fun on it than the 2010 and Montgomerie courses.

Like the Brabazon at the Belfry and the PGA Centenary at Gleneagles the 2010 course is designed to suit the professional golfer not for us mere amateurs. The greens are flattish and they are all a long slog without any real wow factor.

If I had the choice I would play Royal Porthcawl and Pyle + Kenfig way ahead of the 2010. Also have heard that Southerndown is a really good course.  

Cheers
Ben

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 04:02:05 AM »
Hi Ben,

I only had a quick walk round the 2010 course so don’t know it well enough.

Regards the Montgomerie though, I’d be surprised if there’s a much better routing out there (given the brief of a decent length members course)… I know this one because I spent a week in the EGD offices a few years ago coming up with my own solution as part of a paper exercise…. Tough walk for sure...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 05:24:53 AM »
Ben,

Many thanks for your thoughts and thank you for taking the time to express them in such detail. Much appreciated.

I do agree that the 2010 is a long slog, physically tiring, but I liked most of the individual holes irrespective of their origin. Jeez it plays long, really long, even though there is roll available on the fairways. Not many, if any, drive-n-flick holes. Big boys golf here and with many tricky run-off areas around the greens. It's modern design and construction yes, and was obviously put together for a specific purpose, but what the hell, once in a while it's interesting to play something different, and it's always nice to be in a position on a course, especially around the greens, that you later on see the tour-pro's in and see how the experts execute, or sometimes fail to execute, certain shots. To watch a tour-pro live, or indeed on TV, play a shot from a tricky hollow, a hollow that you've been in yourself, or have studied, is most interesting. My ego was massively inflated after I watched Phil Mickelson, of all people, fluff a lob from a hollow where I played one out stiff to the pin. Apologies for this moment of vanity posting!

One aspect I particularly like is the fairway bunkering. So many courses are built with fairway bunkers that are no longer hazards, no longer places to be avoided - see recent separate thread for more on this. The 2010 course at Celtic Manor has IMO excellent fairway bunkering. Best avoided off the tee certainly, but what I liked was that if well thoughtout and played correctly you can advance the ball forward but without being able to reach the green. The classic 'lost' half shot for a oversight from the tee.

The course conditioning is outstanding, although it would be unreasonable to expect anything else. Course dryness is good, some serious drain work, but off the fairways it's less so.

The hole I dislike the most the the 15th, the short uphill par-4 ex RTJ II. Evil contoured green, but that's okay. I'd cut all the tall trees down along the ditch line though. Open the hole up and have fairway length grass on both sides of the ditch leading up to the green. This IMO would allow for more variety and interest in how to play the hole. I'd remove the fountain in the pond on the 18th too, ghastly feature.

Bill,

It certainly is a long slog to get around, but those others I know who've play it come away with positive comments about the holes themselves and the overall test-of-golf quality. And yes I very much agree with you in that there is lots of quality golf available along the South Wales coast. There's also the cracking Rolls of Monmouth, about a 20-minute drive north of Newport/Celtic Manor, an inlander which I reckon GCAer's might appreciate. But you're spot on about Royal Porthcawl. Just delightful.

Pauls G & D,

2010 a better test of golf maybe than those other 'modern classics' you mention!!!!!

Ally,

Thanks for the tip about the Monte course. They do some 'deals' there so I'll have to look into that. Buggy time I imagine, although I hope they can be taken on the fairways unlike at the 2010.

I shall return to play the 2010 sometime in the next couple of years, when the price has dropped, although I don't suspect I'll see any other GCAers' there! It's nice to play a different sort of course every so often, although not too often......beef, beef, beef, beef, beef with occasional lamb, chicken, fish etc.............I find that I appreciate other courses, the sorts we normally write about on GCA, more this way, plus the 2010 is a really mean test of golf, no easy scoring, and I kinda like that. However, in the meantime I shall attempt to avail myself of the delights of lovely Royal Porthcawl (nice winter deal combining golf and their dormy accommodation) and all the other cracking courses that lie along the southern coast of Wales.

All the best.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 05:39:52 AM »
It's right up there with those other great courses in Britain such as The Belfry, Chart Hills and The Oxfordshire!  ;D

I like Chart Hills, a very good course and one of the best modern inland designs in Britain imo. Agreed on the other two though!

WRT to 2010, I can't say it's a course I'd want to play every week, but I think Ross McMurray, who handled the design for EGD, did pretty much the best job he could have in the circumstances. It's not a great site; the best natural feature is the river, and he couldn't go near it for obvious floodplain reasons. The three finishing holes did what they were intended to do, viz provide a spectator-friendly finish for the Ryder Cup and I agree with Ben that the 14th is a very good strategic hole, though from an average golfer's point of view I think it would be more playable, and thus preferable it if the strategy had been set up by something other than water on both sides. But the water makes it more visually spectacular.

I'm not a big fan of Roman Road. There are some nice holes, but it is a brutal walk (although I may be biased as the last time I played it I was recovering from some medical issues and thus not exactly at my fittest). Sir Terry Matthews, the owner of Celtic Manor, has done a huge amount for golf in Wales as a result of his investment in the place, but it's not really my cup of tea. The property is just a bit too hilly (apart from the flat bits down by the river) to be an ideal spot to build golf.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 07:35:04 AM »
Thomas,

I have played the Rolls of Monmouth and enjoyed it better than any of the Celtic Manor courses.

Regarding the fairway bunkers on the 2010 - they were enormous and took a long time to rake them after going in them also they have very high lips. The green to tee walks were sometimes a long way especially the walk from the 14the green to the 15th tee.

Ally there is a routing that is possible on the Monty course I would go from the 11th tee to the 12th green and reinstate the best short par 4 on the old Coldra Woods course in the valley on the left of the current 16th. On the front nine I would reinstate the old Wentwood Hills 15th hole which is currently a par 4 and par 3 into a par 5. Then have a short to medium par three over the ditch on the 7th and build a new tee up the left of the 7th fairway to create a short risk and reward par 4.

It seems to me that hotel developments with more than 2 golf courses on site in the UK are generally disappointing and one dimensional - I cant think of one really good one with the exception of Gleneagles' Kings + Queens.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 08:24:10 AM »

Ally there is a routing that is possible on the Monty course I would go from the 11th tee to the 12th green and reinstate the best short par 4 on the old Coldra Woods course in the valley on the left of the current 16th. On the front nine I would reinstate the old Wentwood Hills 15th hole which is currently a par 4 and par 3 into a par 5. Then have a short to medium par three over the ditch on the 7th and build a new tee up the left of the 7th fairway to create a short risk and reward par 4.

Ben, the layout I went with did indeed have current 11 tee to 12 green. However, I didn't see how you can possibly fit the valley to the left of 16 in to a coherent routing?... It was a shame not to use it but it had to be sacrificed.

As for the old Wentwood Hills 15th, that was sacrificed by me as well. Think I understand what you are suggesting but I like the 7th as designed by Ross McMurray and wouldn't your proposal call for a long walk back to the tee (from the new par 3 green) for what would be a 275 yard par-4 tops? Can't quite visualise the contour from memory (i.e. one site visit) either...

Be interested to hear your comments?

Ally

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 09:04:32 AM »
Ally

I knew that layout exercise would stand you in good stead one day!

I agree.  I don't see how that valley hole could ever be fitted in.  If it could have been, Ross would have done so i'm sure.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Ben Stephens

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 11:32:55 AM »
Hi Robin,

As Terry Matthews owns the majority of the land in this area - is it 2000 acres??

Here are the hypothetical sketches of the Monty course based on my comments earlier

Enjoy them

Restoring the original 15th on the old Wentwood Hills but converting it to a short par 5 and breaking up the 7th on the Monty into 2 holes which takes the very steep walk up the current 7th out

Bringing back the valley hole
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:35:58 AM by Ben Stephens »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 01:22:38 PM »
Ah now Ben,

All things become possible once you start routing holes outside the boundary of your given property....

One of the reasons I'd like to see the next armchair architect competition on here be given an awkward shaped 200 acre site rather than a 2,000 acre one.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »
Ally

I thought that Terry Matthews owns the land towards the A449 road boundary then surely those holes would be possible in theory.

It would be interesting to see where the actual site boundary is :)

Cheers
Ben

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 06:34:08 AM »
Ben

Great job with the sketch plans!  

14 and 15 would not be possible as it is a protected ancient woodland, according to Ross.  I think Ross has got it right with respect of holes 5 through 7.  The uphill 7th hole is a very good hole of its type.  RTJII did a good job with getting the visuals and aesthetics right whilst climbing a very steep hill.  Going across that slope would entail a lot of cut and fill to keep that cross slope under control.  I can't really see the point in it to be honest.  The Monty is a resort course and REALLY doesn't need to be any longer, tougher or hillier.

2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 07:04:14 AM »
Ben,
I also like the sketches and thoughts. Well done.
Glad you liked the Rolls of Monmouth. A hidden cracker IMO. One of my favourites in the lower W-Midlands/S-Wales border area. The Rolls have only this year started hosting Open comps so it'll be an even better place to visit from now on. Steep walks from some greens-to-next-tees though, but lots of buggies available.
I have heard nice words about Rogerstone GC in Newport too, although I've not (yet) played it myself.

Off topic, but one thing I fancied about Celtic Manor was the large white manor house/stately home on the opposite bank of the River Usk. The one overlooking the 7th green on the 2010 course. Lovely formal gardens around it. Not sure of it's name. Very nice indeed. Probably worth a few £$£$.
All the best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back