News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lang

How Many Spectators Can Merion Handle?
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:36:48 PM »
 8) While looking up some topos, I took a little detour to Philly area, Merion looks pretty small;  how many folks will be allowed on site?

oooops, i posted west course first, thanks Ed, then corrected view to show east course topo.. i wondered where the quarry went..

p.s. 10 foot contours shown on USGS topo
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:03:51 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ed Brzezowski

Re: How Many Spectators Can Merion Handle?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:38:55 PM »
25000.  Plus 4000 volunteers.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 08:41:41 PM »
On the East Course.   Might be poor eyes but your map looks like the West course

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:05:58 PM »
 8)  my poor eyes, not yours Ed

new pic... looks like East Course will be pretty crowded
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:05:23 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 06:23:47 AM »
The photo is of the east course.
 I have read that the USGA believes it can fit 20,000 on the course. I believe the property is about 125 total acres.
I suppose with some imaginative grandstand locations, for instance, perhaps the lawns of the houses along the 14th and 15th holes, or the abutting road could be used, 20,000 could somehow attend, but I really wonder how much you will be able to move around. This course is superbly routed onto this site, but accomodating spectators was not part of the equation. Crossovers will be a challenge because there isn't much space to crossover into in many locations. Holes like 7, 8, 14, and 15, have limited room on one side and no room, or charitably, even less room, on the other side of the fairway. That's true even after skinnying the fairways down to 20-25 yards wide.
I expect it will be a competitive competition that I will be very happy to watch on my couch. If they are using the lawns or abutting roads to accomodate spectators, that will help, but I believe corporate tenting is going onto many of those areas.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 07:58:39 AM »
Steve.   You did fix the map, correct.

Played there a lot and the original post looked like the West course. Which is no slouch either.

The spectator number is 25000, directly from the Golf Chair at Merion. Lots of grandstands and only very skinny people allowed in.
Ed

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:07:21 AM »
 8)

so spectator experience will be limited?  folks will find a spot and stay there?

and cash flow is pretty much up to the TV & corporate $ and of course, concessions
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:10:39 AM by Steve Lang »
The voice of Inverness"

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:14:25 AM »
He,the Merion member, stated there were no problems with cash flow. My guess it will not be a financial grand slam just a nice double or triple.
Looking forward to spending  30 bucks for a burger and a beer like we did at Congressional.

Mike Viscusi

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »
Here is a map that shows the locations of the grand stands and tents.  Looks to be about 21 grandstands of varying sizes (is that a lot compared to typical Opens?). 

What looks like the best seat in the house?  I kind of like the stands located between 10 green and 11 tee.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 11:24:45 AM »
Looking forward to spending  30 bucks for a burger and a beer like we did at Congressional.
As compared to $6 at the Masters (they don't have burgers but the BBQ sandwiches are $3 as are domestic beers).

Alex Miller

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »
There don't appear to be that many grandstands that have overlapping views of multiple holes/shots. The best one I can find here is sitting on the far left-hand side of the one behind 18 and watching players hit tee-shots and the occasional approach to 14 as well.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 11:42:58 AM »
He,the Merion member, stated there were no problems with cash flow. My guess it will not be a financial grand slam just a nice double or triple.
Do you mean for the club or the USGA?  Does the club get a fixed rental fee or does it depend on attendance?  And do they get other revenue, like merchandise and F&B?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 12:07:27 PM »
Lots of grandstands and only very skinny people allowed in.

I am prepared to pay a surcharge.

The Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

D_Malley

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 12:47:13 PM »
I could see the fans experience being awful compared to most other golf tournaments.  Fans will probably be herded from one grandstand to another with little chance to view golf shots while walking between grandstands.  I think the best place on site to watch golf will be inside one of the hospitality tents.

Bill Crane

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »
At the Walker Cup held at Merion there were some seriously tall stands between 11th tee and 12th Green.  There is a decent chunk of open land there.

I also spent Saturday at the last Open at Bethpage Black and the USGA had erected the biggest portable stands I had ever seen.  Looked to be about 12 stories high, especially around the last par three - the 17th.

It is always my goal at each Tournament to walk a large part of the course each AM, and then find two places out of the way to camp out and see several groups go through in the afternoon.  So at the Open at Bethpage I walked all the way to the furthest part of the course on the other side of the road near 7, 9, 10, 11 and it was not crowded and great viewing.  Likewise at Shinnecock I hung out on the back nine at 12, 14,15, 16 and not too crowded there either.

Not sure that this strategy will work at Merion because it has such a small footprint.  So, will we be able to get behind the 10th tee and watch the 8th approach, par three 9th and tee shoot at 10?  Will we have space to watch 7 approach and 8th tee shot?  Or watch the 15th approach and 16th tee shoot?

Either way it will be an exiciting Open.  I got my tickets for all four days !!

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 04:10:49 PM »
 Working  15 with the Golf assn, stop by to say hi. Personally I cannot wait to see the event. Overpriced food and hats be damned, it should be fun to watch.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 04:13:48 PM »
Do you mean for the club or the USGA?  Does the club get a fixed rental fee or does it depend on attendance?  And do they get other revenue, like merchandise and F&B?
He was very quiet about the flow of monies, but seemed very happy. He claims they will end up "GREAT".  Since it is, and has been , sold out for a while I believe they have little to worry about.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 07:29:51 PM »
Standing behind the 16th green and 17th tee would give you pretty decent access to 14, 16, 17 and 18.

JSlonis

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »
There are 25,000 tickets each day and the plan is to have grandstands that will seat a total of. 17,000.

Spectator traffic flow from hole to hole will be very challenging compared to other venues.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 10:23:57 PM »
Having been to many US Opens including last year I am sure the USGA will do a great job.  With that said, Sunday, and the leaders on the back nine seems to me will be chaos. 

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 07:21:31 AM »
It's been a while since any U.S. Open wasn't a solid moneymaker. You don't need to get mauled for the $30.00 burger and beer inside the gates. A nice donation($20.00) to support a caddie golf scholarship award in the name of Stanley Zontek, longtime turf dean of the USGA's Mid-Atlantic Region, who very sadly passed last August, will get you a couple of burgers AND beers at the Shreiner Shindig, to be held not 600yds. from the second green! Info will be posted shortly and Friday, the 14th, will be golf geek, GCA day. See ya then.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
It's been a while since any U.S. Open wasn't a solid moneymaker. You don't need to get mauled for the $30.00 burger and beer inside the gates. A nice donation($20.00) to support a caddie golf scholarship award in the name of Stanley Zontek, longtime turf dean of the USGA's Mid-Atlantic Region, who very sadly passed last August, will get you a couple of burgers AND beers at the Shreiner Shindig, to be held not 600yds. from the second green! Info will be posted shortly and Friday, the 14th, will be golf geek, GCA day. See ya then.

Cheers,
Kris 8)

IN, guests allowed???

Bill Crane

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 02:47:33 PM »
Standing behind the 16th green and 17th tee would give you pretty decent access to 14, 16, 17 and 18.

Bill:   I would think there would be stands there.  Not very many opens spaces at Merion were they could put stands on the course.

It will be an excellent perch to watch golf with 4 greens, three tees and the approach shot to the 18th viewable from a high enough perspective.

WmFlynnfan

George Pazin

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »
There are 25,000 tickets each day and the plan is to have grandstands that will seat a total of. 17,000.

Spectator traffic flow from hole to hole will be very challenging compared to other venues.

I can't be the only who saw this poster on Morning Drive this morning, can I? The host even made a joke about his name.

The only thing that makes me question it is I've had the good fortune of playing with Jamie, and I would swear on a bible he was 7 feet tall and drives the ball 400 yards with one hand tied behind his back.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JESII

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
George,

Was Jamie on Morning Drive this morning? Didn't understand your post...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back