News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Guide to Cabo Golf
« on: April 06, 2013, 10:26:33 PM »
After three visits to Cabo San Lucas, I have sampled all of the public courses in the immediate area.  For me, Cabo carries significant advantages as a golf destination over Scottsdale, Florida, Hawaii or Palm Springs.  The weather is better. There is no need to pack anything other than shorts.  The travel is relatively simple – with numerous nonstop flights available.  The view from your hotel is something like this:

We have talked at length about Cabo del Sol and Diamante.  If you want to focus your golf on the best in the area, you need look no further.  Both the Ocean Course and Diamante would make my top 25 I have played with ease.  The Desert Course at Cabo del Sol is a wonderful third course that makes a terrific itinerary with enough quality golf to fill any trip.

Having the opportunity to check in with Greg Tallman is always a real treat.  Anyone who has been a cruise ship golf pro and has run a world-class facility in a location as nuts as Cabo is bound to be entertaining company.

This picture is of the approach on 18 at the Ocean course at Cabo del Sol:

I crushed Tallman on this hole.  Don't ask about the others.

Jason Topp

Re: Guide to Cabo Golf
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 10:39:40 PM »
On this most recent visit, I decided to visit the “lesser lights” in the area in addition to two "mandatory" rounds at Cabo del Sol.  I was surprised at the variety and quality of the courses and thought it would be useful to give my impressions from one round at each.

Questro Golf

There are five public “lesser lights” in the area.  Three are currently managed by Questro Golf which seems to be an outfit focused on time-share sales.  One representative emphasized that they did not sell time shares but rather residence clubs.  When I asked the difference I was advised the differences are “subtle.”

The courses are nicely conditioned with paspalum greens and gorgeous views.  The company runs a package promotion for three rounds at the courses – less if you are willing to sit through a time-share presentation.

My favorite of the group was Club Campestre, which is a Nicklaus Design course built by Kurt Bowman.  The course features wide fairways, centerline bunkers and greens with huge undulations that border on whacky at times.  The setting is less severe than at many of the other courses and a few of the holes seem squeezed on the far side of the tollway to the airport.  Nonetheless, I would happily return.

I would also gladly return to Cabo Real – an RTJ Jr. course.  The front nine is primarily an effort to get down to the ocean.  Its oceanside par three was sacrificed to condominiums but the course nonetheless delivers a solid test of golf with some memorable vistas.  I will need to do some research to identify these holes.

The final Questro Couse, Puerto Los Cabos, offers spectacular vistas as these pictures show:

The views of the first and ninth holes of both the Nicklaus and Norman nines, however, is less compelling.  On both sides the holes run straight up and down a mountain.  Go to this course for the views and tolerate the golf.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:24:51 PM by Jason Topp »

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 10:55:04 PM »
I played two of the three nines at Palmilla Golf Course.  Palmilla has 27 holes and I understand the mountain and arroyo nines are the original.  I suspect this course would brutalize a beginner, which is curious given how much couples golf is played here.  The greens at the facility were in good shape but quite grainy compared to others in the area.  I would play here again but do so due to a bargain being available.

I am not sure why I took a picture of my final hole - 9 on the mountain.  It demonstrates the artificial nature of most water hazards in an area that gets almost no rain:

The final course I played was Cabo del Sol Country Club.  The name “country club” is should not mislead you – this facility provides low profile golf and is more of a local course rather than a resort facility.  Nonetheless, I loved the place.  It features wide fairways, small Bermuda greens and some of the most intimidating water hazards I have experienced.  On this par three, it does not seem like a green exists:

I love the simple look of this greenside in the evening light:

I would recommend this course to a visitor is a bargain price is available or the tee time works.

It was a memorable trip.  It was especially depressing to view the water hazards in Minnesota on the day I returned:

At least the snow is largely gone.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:26:18 PM by Jason Topp »

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 01:53:08 AM »
Great Stuff Jason! Thanks for your comments! What is your favorite hole in the Public Cabo Golf arena? I have always loved #3 on the ocean course of Palmilla. It is not the most interesting hole by any stretch but I've seen it so many times from the road over my 2 decades of traveling there that it is my permanent image in my mind of Cabo Golf.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 07:18:48 AM »
Great Stuff Jason! Thanks for your comments! What is your favorite hole in the Public Cabo Golf arena? I have always loved #3 on the ocean course of Palmilla. It is not the most interesting hole by any stretch but I've seen it so many times from the road over my 2 decades of traveling there that it is my permanent image in my mind of Cabo Golf.

Emile - I did not play the Ocean 9 so I cannot comment on that one. 

If one includes the Desert Course at Cabo del Sol which is similarly priced to the others I identified as "Lesser Lights," I would pick the 6th hole there.  I do not have any pictures but it is a shortish uphill par 4 with a wide fairway that pinches down and then a tough uphill 2nd shot that is best approached by a tee shot to the left.  It looks tight from the tee on the left due to a hillside but there is more room than it appears.  I think it is a very creative hole in a location that must have been a difficult challenge. I like the green which is difficult.  It is the hole that sticks most deeply in my memory. 

Where do you usually play there?  Do you have significantly different opinions than my impressions which are based on one play for these courses?

Jim Johnson

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:24:11 PM »
Jason, here's a photo of the 6th at the Desert Course...

Thanks for the photo tour ... brings back some great memories of a wonderful week there in January.
Hi Greg T!

Jim

Greg Tallman

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 03:52:52 PM »
Yes, Señor Topp's thrilling birdie finish got me but the true highlight was my par on the 315 yard third hole.  ;)

As Jason details all of the golf in Cabo is, at worst, solid. The worst of it is either a course full of beathtaking views or one with few views but as tough as you want.

I like his selection of the 6th on our Desert Course as a memorable hole though if my arm were twisted I might say teh 14th on Desert given the approach and green complex.

Emile, The MOST memorable thing about Palmilla Ocean #3 is the 400 yard return trip up the same cart path.  ;)

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 03:56:16 PM »
Yes, Señor Topp's thrilling birdie finish got me but the true highlight was my par on the 315 yard third hole.  ;)

Yes - ball o.b. and then an eagle with the next ball.  You do not see that every day. 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 03:59:29 PM »

Having the opportunity to check in with Greg Tallman is always a real treat.  Anyone who has been a cruise ship golf pro and has run a world-class facility in a location as nuts as Cabo is bound to be entertaining company.

Had your hotel selection been different the entertainment value of my presence would have suffered tremendously. Heck, I'm pretty sure I would have turned around and left a 25 year supermodel waiting in the lobby given the issues at the gate, but not you Señor Topp, not you.

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »

Had your hotel selection been different the entertainment value of my presence would have suffered tremendously. Heck, I'm pretty sure I would have turned around and left a 25 year supermodel waiting in the lobby given the issues at the gate, but not you Señor Topp, not you.

Much appreciated.  I stayed at the Riu Palace which was spring break central.  It is a bit like a zoo although I think the 18 year old high school seniors considered it heaven. 

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 07:27:07 AM »
What's the ETA for the "other" course at Diamante?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brad Tufts

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 10:14:29 AM »
I like his selection of the 6th on our Desert Course as a memorable hole though if my arm were twisted I might say teh 14th on Desert given the approach and green complex.

I agree that #6 and #14 are probably the best holes on CDS Desert.  Loved the small touch on #14 of the green being visible through the brush on the right off the tee.  I also really liked the 8-9-10 stretch.  #16 is the showcase par 3, but I thought #5 was the best short hole...a tight target after some holes with room at the start.

What was the natural-looking course through the desert between CDS and town that we kept driving by?  That one looked like it interacted with the cacti/underbrush a good amount from the road.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »
What was the natural-looking course through the desert between CDS and town that we kept driving by?  That one looked like it interacted with the cacti/underbrush a good amount from the road.

If by the town you mean Cabo San Lucas, it had to be Cabo San Lucas Country Club. 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »
What's the ETA for the "other" course at Diamante?

Ask someone in sales - December

Talk with someone who knows - About this time next year, of course that could change with a ramp up in construction equipement/bodies but it does not look like that will happen (proabably to the benefit of the course... more Paul, less marginally skilled interpretation).   

Greg Tallman

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »

I agree that #6 and #14 are probably the best holes on CDS Desert.  Loved the small touch on #14 of the green being visible through the brush on the right off the tee.  I also really liked the 8-9-10 stretch.  I thought #2 would get some love from the GCA crowd, quasi redan with a kicker slope short right

#16 is the showcase par 3, but I thought #5 was the best short hole...a tight target after some holes with room at the start. You are sadistic. That is all.

What was the natural-looking course through the desert between CDS and town that we kept driving by?  That one looked like it interacted with the cacti/underbrush a good amount from the road. All courses interact with the cacti and to a lesser degree underbrush. The course is Cabo San Lucas Country Club (Roy & Matt Dye). It might well be the most difficult course in the area and is a bit more tolearable these days after getting their waste water treatment plant up and running. No more solid waste in golf course lakes (not joking) and course is getting back in shape. Plop it in Scottsdale and it is as good as most.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »
Not a bad idea for an additional tab at the top - TRAVEL GUIDES - where locasl such as yours truly could lay out not only the area's golf offerings but restaurants, night life... etc. Just a thought.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
The Tallman restaurant guide is tremedous, his chice of whore houses not so much ;)....just kidding for the sensitive ones on here..

Greg Tallman

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 04:02:37 PM »
The Tallman restaurant guide is tremedous, his chice of whore houses not so much ;)....just kidding for the sensitive ones on here..

Sorry, did not realize it was "B-Team Night"  ;)

And yes, this is a joke.

Jason Topp

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »
I spoke too soon about the snow 3-4 inches midweek.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 04:17:57 PM »

This is the hole I was talking about at dinner. Norman #5 nice short par 4 with a semi-blind tee shot and the approach shown above. A lot more going on that the pitcure depicts. Holes 4-7 Norman not terrible.

Jason Topp

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »
This is the hole I was talking about at dinner. Norman #5 nice short par 4 with a semi-blind tee shot and the approach shown above. A lot more going on that the pitcure depicts. Holes 4-7 Norman not terrible.

I did like the way the hole played and the view is very nice. 

There is a big problem with the hole however. We had to drive up the fairway to determine whether or not to tee off.  I am glad we did because otherwise my playing companion would have beaned the people in front of us.  It is particularly dangerous because the hole is short and there is GPS on the carts that does not indicate the location of other carts.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »

I did like the way the hole played and the view is very nice. 

There is a big problem with the hole however. We had to drive up the fairway to determine whether or not to tee off.  I am glad we did because otherwise my playing companion would have beaned the people in front of us.  It is particularly dangerous because the hole is short and there is GPS on the carts that does not indicate the location of other carts.

In fairness to Norman his design was/is intended to be the private course. Still does not explain 1, 9 and the location of 8 green in relation to #2 tee.  ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 07:12:16 PM »

Ha, I see you've been to Mexico!   ;D

Greg Tallman

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 05:39:35 PM »
Jason,

The photos in your second post are:

Club Campestre San José #18
Cabo Real #3 (formerly #12)
Cabo Real #5 (formerly #14)
Cabo Real #5
Random shot from a palapa?
Puerto Los Cabos #5 Norman (#14 in the composite setup currently employed)
Frozen Ground Club #19 

Jason Topp

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 11:04:33 PM »
Jason,

The photos in your second post are:

Club Campestre San José #18
Cabo Real #3 (formerly #12)
Cabo Real #5 (formerly #14)
Cabo Real #5
Random shot from a palapa? at Puerto Los Cabo
Puerto Los Cabos #5 Norman (#14 in the composite setup currently employed)
Frozen Ground Club #19  Chez Topp

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back