News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Lee Pace on Pinehurst is posted
« on: March 04, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »
Dripping with history, Pinehurst provides subject matter a plenty. Its story is a protracted one, twelve decades in all and can be told in many ways. One could regurgitate vintage black and white photos or recount the heroic tales of Hogan and Snead. As compelling as that might be, it’s been done. Lee Pace’s The Golden Age of Pinehurst – The Story of the Rebirth of No.2 puts a fresh, welcoming face on today’s Pinehurst. Released in December 2012, the hard-cover, coffee-table book talks about the restored Pinehurst No.2 from a current perspective. Lee’s tightly written narrative is handsomely augmented with dazzling photographs and high production standards.

Between February 2010 when the endeavor began and the spring of 2012 when he wrapped up the book’s production, Lee made upwards of 40 trips to Pinehurst from his home in Chapel Hill. That constituted approximately 120 days in the greater Pinehurst area doing research and interviewing 200+ people in connection with the project. As he notes in the Feature Interview, “Any time either of them ( Bill Coore or Ben Crenshaw) was in town over the next 18 months, I was there for at least a day.”

Only twenty years ago a platform like this for a golf architect to express himself was unheard of. There was the occasional article on Pete Dye or someone who had tweaked a major venue that produced a few quotes but little more. Happily, that’s changed in recent times and Lee’s tome captures the intent of Coore & Crenshaw and their team in detail and in their own words. As a local, I can tell you firsthand about the gnashing of the teeth when C&C’s work began. The refrain ‘why are you pulling up perfectly good grass’  :-[ was a regular one and a painful reminder of just how far Pinehurst had strayed from its sandy origins. Bill and Ben’s descriptions of No.2  (linear lines, green grass everywhere) are unfiltered and their vision for restoring it to how it looked and played in its glory days is now well documented, thanks to Lee.

It is always a pleasure to talk about a course that we can all play and one that will be featured on TV in just ~16 months. Ever since the announcement of the back-to-back Opens in 2014, tongues have been wagging about whether the course will hold up. The best explanation I have read to date behind the USGA’s quiet confidence comes from Lee:

I asked that question of Mike Davis, and he said he doesn’t have any concerns about the course being in championship condition for two straight weeks. The speed of the greens will be the same both weeks, roughly a 12 on the Stimpmeter. The greens will be quite firm; Davis wants well-struck shots from the fairway to get something along the lines of a “bounce, bounce, stop” action into the green. Since women can’t spin the ball as much as men, the greens will be a little softer for them in order to get that same action. He said it’s less problematic to soften greens for the second week than to harden them.

Nothing beats getting information straight from the horse’s mouth and that’s what Lee has accomplished. He gained unfettered access to every living person that has helped Pinehurst get to where it is today. While Lee provides a highly informative insider’s view, older quotes are also liberally sprinkled throughout the book. Most importantly, it is Lee’s thorough research and the brand new material it generated that makes the book a valued addition to any golf library.

During a round at Southern Pines CC in 2011, Lee and I chatted about the merit of the Sand Hills of Moore County. We clearly share a similar passion for the region. Finally, I turned to him and asked why he didn’t live here. He replied, ‘Because I wouldn’t have it as a place that I look forward to traveling to – and I would hate that!’ His enthusiasm is both genuine and infectious and shines brightly throughout “The Golden Age”, a most timely update on the Grand Dame that is Pinehurst.

Best,

Mike Nuzzo

Re: Feature Interview with Lee Pace on Pinehurst is posted
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:09:25 PM »
Thank you Ran and Lee
I ran ahead to the question that most interests me about 4 & 5, as I am not a fan.
Walking the fifth hole recently the first and second shots now seemed uninteresting.

Finally, Davis believes the fourth green is one of most sedate on the course, and certainly the fifth green is one of the most severe. He thinks four green is better for a long par-four and five green is better for a par-five. Davis walked around the fifth green on one visit and talked about how he would push the hole locations further to the edge if players where hitting wedge shots into the green as a par-five than he would if they were hitting mid to long-irons as a par-four.

I am not a fan of this fairness logic - short holes can have tame greens and long holes can have severe greens - it makes for better variety.

I think Don Padgett, the president and COO of the resort and club, made a good point one day on a walk around the course with Davis and the architects. “The bottom line is, you play these two holes together as a par-nine,” he said.

But they added 100 yards to the 5th - that would change the way the holes are played.

And who knows: I wouldn’t put it past Davis, who is known for his “out-of-the-box” thinking in U.S. Open set-ups, to move tees around and play each as a four and as a five during the championship.

This would be fun - testing adaptability.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Chris Buie

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 04:47:29 PM »
This is a well done book. Lee gives us an excellent account of the restoration process. The photography is first rate as well.
One part I found particularly amusing is when they had to explain to the punters that no they weren't neglecting the course. Yes, that's how it's supposed to look. Amusing now, but not necessarily so for the staff at the time.
All's well that ends well.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:02:03 PM »
Now that is a great cover photo of Lee, Toby, and Bill.  Lee's fortunate to get in on all the little details being discussed no doubt in that very picture. Congratulations to Lee on an excellent book -- and to Pinehurst No. 2 on a one of a kind restoration.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 12:18:15 PM »
From the interview:
"To by design make it look cluttered and wild and even as if it’s not being maintained properly?"

Stumbling onto the real problem, the author suggests that the current brainwashed version of properly maintained is actually proper.

Chris Buie

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 03:27:52 PM »
Interesting point of view Jeff. But I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean by 'brainwashed'.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 08:51:09 AM »
Maybe too strong a word, but I must admit to having conversations with folks about design and conditions where their point of view is based on what they are used to seeing. See it enough times and it must be correct.
Center line hazard? Unfair.
Blind shot? Unfair.
Rough extending to the property line? Proper.
Everything green? Proper.

As for the work at Pinehurst #2, where are the pretty shrubs?  ;D

Chris Buie

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 02:13:33 PM »
Group think is certainly a very interesting topic. To a large degree the "new" No. 2 is the antithesis of that.
Today's retro No. 2 is the polar opposite of what has been the template for decades - an emulation of the expensive, high maintenance wall to wall green carpet of Augusta.
Today's No. 2 could possibly become something of a template itself. One of the broader themes being Average American Course may be better served by reflecting and being more in tune with its own native surroundings rather than the image of Augusta on a TV screen. Every region has something to recommend itself. Why not try to present that in a particularly artful manner on your home course? That's far more interesting, distinctive and fitting.
No. 2 is kind of flat and sand and wire grass are not exactly exotic. And yet...the entire affair is woven together in a way which is strikingly effective. That goes to show you don't really need extraordinary native plants and whatnot to make something great. It's a matter of putting the natural elements of the region together in a fitting way. I would think working on a project like that would be great fun.
Well, for what it's worth, that's my extemporaneous take...gotta run...

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 08:55:05 AM »
Well put and I could not agree more.
Of course, it always helps to have an artist on the job.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 08:50:36 PM »
Ran

With old family ties with the beginning of Pinehurst, and you have seen the tapes, why has there been little input on those people?

Willie

Willie_Dow

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
Thanks for the book, Lee Pace, it is a wonderful picture of golf's heaven.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back