News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gib_Papazian

John "Tiger" Bernhardt - RIP 2/8/2013
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:06:34 PM »
Treehouse,

I am terribly sorry to inform everyone that John passed away this morning. He was a great friend and the consummate "guy's guy" who loved the game of golf and who lived every minute to the fullest as a true gentleman.

Tiger fought it to the bitter end and never gave up; I was proud to be his friend.  

Let's take a minute and pray for his safe passage.  

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:33:00 PM by Gib Papazian »

Bob_Huntley

Re: John "Tiger" Bernhardt - RIP 2/8/2013
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:12:47 PM »
John Bernhardt  R.I.P.

Our good friend John Bernhardt died this morning the 8th of February, 2013, at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

Here is a message from his daughter Katie,  which does not give the full measure of the man. In my long years on this earth I have seen courage manifested in various forms but I think that John exhibited a will to live through years of unmanageable pain and trauma. There is much more I could say but will leave you with remembrances of things past from the true love of his life, his daughter, Katie Bernhardt.

Raised in Monroe, LA. He was a proud graduate of Neville High School, also known as the Tigers.
He started playing golf as a boy. He would play baseball in the summer and still find a way to play golf each day. His first hole in one was in Monroe. He wore a green shirt that day,  green has been his favorite color since. Although left- handed, his first set of clubs were ladies right handed clubs and so he became a right handed golfer. In the last two years he took up putting left handed.

LSU football, and LSU athletics in general were a passion of his. The day his football season tickets came in the mail each year was a day he beamed with joy. Tailgating was one of his favorite things to do before a game. He never set up his own; he liked to spend the entire day walking the campus going from tent to tent talking to friends. He liked getting to our seats an hour early to watch the team warm up.

He loved football in general. He was terribly bored not working and stuck at home so the last football season he had 14 fantasy football teams.

He loves talking about who LSU was recruiting and watching the team come together each year. He loves the Tiger band as well.

Although he was an attorney, he seldom practiced law. His primary business was his small oil and gas exploration company. He loved his work- putting ventures together and hunting for future prospects.

For about 30 years, beginning with his first trip to Pebble Beach, he dreamed of becoming part of the community and somehow retiring there. That seemed a little far fetched for a Monroe boy. He has started a company named Monterey Land Investments- with the goal being to use it to retire on Monterey Peninsula. Although the last few years were not at all what he had in mind, the dream did come true in a sense. He joined MPCC and bought a place in pebble beach.

He loved the time he spent on the west coast. Particularly the friendships he formed through his love of golf. My Dad loved playing at the Olympic Club but enjoyed the company after the rounds as much as the course.

My Dad loved yet sometimes despised politics. He always stayed involved to some degree in the background in Louisiana politics. In 2008 he was a delegate to the democratic national convention. He explained to me that it was part of adhering to his values. Being a democrat with a concern for the environment in the oil business in Louisiana certainly put him in a small club but one he was proud of. He once has an environmental consulting company. He loved having different projects at once. He said it was how he made use of his ADD.

This is Mardi Gras season which is something my father has always enjoyed. His favorite Mardi Gras festivity was being a member of the Mystic Krew of Louisianians, which everyone refers to as Washington Mardi Gras. It is a Mardi Gras krew that is driven by state politics and is great celebration of Louisiana culture and politic in Washington DC.

He was also a member in several New Orleans krews and enjoyed riding in the parades and attending a week or two of luncheons, parties, balls and generally having fun.

He loved to travel and wanted see much more of the world. He traveled to Paris almost every other year and the city had an impact on him that I struggle to articulate.

His perseverance was endless. He missed eating and drinking so much that he did painful rehabilitation exercises each day to learn to eat again.  He did this rather successfully twice. The last year has proven to be a real obstacle in that area. He did miss food so much that he refused to quit trying. He would never complain about how painful it was but it was agonizing just to watch. He would choke catch his breath and try again. His determination was endless.

His charm, wit and sense of humor made a lasting impression on everyone. Laughter was simply part of everything, truly a jovial man. He also never stopped going, like an energizer bunny. He would drive and fly to3 states for business in a week then say "wanna run down to Florida  for the weekend." He could make things  happen by having endless energy and determination.

He liked going to both coasts, the mountains and desert at least once each year.

He took me everywhere. If there was a fundraiser for a politician, fantasy football draft, golf, cocktail parties, if he went on the nights I stayed with him, I went too. We threw the nerf football every evening before going out to dinner, yes every evening we did eat out. He was not much of a cook.

I recently was told, and reminded by an old friend, that every morning he would go to the circle K convenience store, pick up his news paper, little Debbie or bear claw and a coke. Then he would park across from the girl’s dorm and have breakfast and read the paper while they walked to school. He had me to Wednesday and Friday mornings and would drop me off at school before his breakfast stop.

He took me on a 2-3 week vacation each summer. He loved our national parks. He loved going to Olmstead point in Yosemite because of the connection to golf architecture.

Every New Year's Day he liked to start the year off by hitting a few balls. This often required sneaking around a few fences. I enjoyed doing that with him.

Katie

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:19:52 PM by Bob_Huntley »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »

Wow... how very sad.  I always thought he'd make it. 

My thoughts and prayers go out to all his many friends and family.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:24:09 PM »
A superb human being. I will miss him. RIP Tiger

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 01:24:41 PM »
John always responded quickly and with honor and humor to my e-mails, but not my last one of a few days ago.  I feared this.  He was one of the very best of us.  May his soul rest in peace and his memory in our hearts.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Brian Ross

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 01:26:56 PM »
Thoughts and prayers go out to his family during this difficult time.  RIP
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 01:27:53 PM »
Bob, 

Thanks for sharing that message from Katie.
My thoughts go out to his family.
-

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »
God Speed.

Bart

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
Katie (and Bob H.) -

Thank you for sharing your remembrance of your father with us. He will be missed by us all.

DT
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:43:29 PM by David_Tepper »

Jason Mandel

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
My first "big" GCA event I attended was the inaugural Dixie Cup many years ago. I vividly remember signing a big card for John was was going through the initial stages of his near decade long battle.

Though John and I never met face to face, we may have shared posts on a thread or two, but that was the extent of it. Yet through this website we share many of the same friends and by reading his many posts, and testimonials of others, I truly felt like I knew John.

We can all learn and draw from his zest for life and the courageous way he fought his battle. John surely didn't go down without a fight, and he will not be forgotten.

Rest in Peace my friend.

Jason Mandel
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Dan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 01:41:38 PM »
God, how I hate to see those letters: RIP.

Thanks for letting all of us know. We will all miss his company -- even those of us who never met the man.

Dan

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Andy Troeger

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 01:41:50 PM »
Sorry to hear this sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to John, his family, and those of you that knew him well.

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »
He was an inspiration. RIP  Our thoughts should now be with Katie....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 01:48:11 PM »
 :'(
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 01:51:38 PM »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Leahy

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 01:52:27 PM »
RIP Tiger,
I had the chance to play golf with him in the Kings Putter in Palm Springs a few years ago and really enjoyed his humor and passion for his LSU Tigers. He will be missed.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim Martin

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 02:03:10 PM »
I always enjoyed his take on things and it's clear he had many friends on the site and beyond. Thoughts and prayers are with his beloved Katie and family. R.I.P.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 02:03:24 PM »
Very sad.  Those who have followed his progress on CaringBridge know what a valiant, extremely difficult battle he has fought for such a very long time.

Some of the best courses I've played on the west coast have been in John's company.  Though I didn't know him well, his passion for golf, football, politics, attractive ladies, humor, and a good drink is legendary.  His love for Katie was second to none.

John lived a full life.  He made a difference and will be greatly missed.  With condolences to Katie, family, and friends, let us celebrate John's life, his memory, and be comforted that he is today in a better place.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:05:03 PM by Lou_Duran »

Jason Hines

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »
I never met John, but enjoyed his presence here on the board.  The older I get, the more the “true” things in life become more vivid, my wife, my children, my faith and the passion that we all share on this board.

God bless you John and those that you left behind and let this be a reminder to all of us on this board to live and love those around us.

Take care,

Jason Hines
Olathe, KS

PCCraig

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 02:06:59 PM »
A sad day. RIP Tiger.
H.P.S.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »
Following his postings at CaringBridge made one realize how great was his struggle and how greatly he handled it.

My condolences to his loved ones.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Matt Bosela

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 02:11:51 PM »
My condolences to his friends and loved ones.  A very sad day.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »
Tiger was the enabler that allowed a group of us to play a preview round at Chambers Bay.

He will be missed.

My prayers and condolences to his family and friends.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Lapper

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 02:22:12 PM »
A class guy and wonderful person.

We shall always miss him.

A thought might be to rename the Dixie Cup...The Tiger Cup???
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:33:19 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Chris Johnston

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »
Courageous man.
Bright mind.
Great father.
Friend to many.
Loved golf.

Tiger is in a better place today.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back