News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Noel Freeman

Excellent Eastward Ho History pdf
« on: February 03, 2013, 06:00:07 PM »
I did not know this existed--damn you Randy VS!

I have not read thru it but for the initiated or uninitiated this is a great resource on the course.. Perhaps Randy can give more details if he sees the thread.. It has been at least 6 years since I had the pleasure of hanging out with Randy and Frank Hancock and I think its time to go back.  I was fortunate enough a few years ago to do some work for Neil Crafter's magazine on the course and correspond with Keith Foster who did an amazing job on the course.  Ran should have him for a feature interview b/c I played several times at his excellent St. George, Utah course Coral Canyon..

http://www.eastwardho.org/files/GolfCourseEHO112612.pdf

Niall Hay

Re: Excellent Eastward Ho History pdf
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:36:09 PM »
This course looks great. How does it compare to Kittansett?

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 02:26:39 AM »
Nice Noel, remember that article fondly. Hope all is well.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:16:55 AM »
Great document - thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »
Some of the holes especially those out on the northern edges of the course (three, four, fifteen) feel more like Fisher Island or Maidstone than Kittansett. There is also a lot more movement to the ground on holes like (one, five, six, seventeen, eighteen) than you'll ever find at Kittansett.

I don''t think I've played a course in the US with the same combination of qualities of Eastward Ho... The feeling of the ocean is so strong, other than about 3 holes on the back nine.

Needless to say, I love the place..
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:19:29 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:08:46 PM »
Wow thanks for this. I can't wait to read it.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 08:40:22 AM »
Thanks for the link, Noel. What an incredible looking golf course. An amazing site and some really interesting- and attractive-looking architecture. Awesome.
jeffmingay.com

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 09:03:11 AM »
Thanks for the link, Noel. What an incredible looking golf course. An amazing site and some really interesting- and attractive-looking architecture. Awesome.

It is indeed an incredible place.
call me a luddite, but the world needs more Eastward Ho's.

why anyone feels golf should be 1000 yards longer with flatter greens and fairways is beyond me.
in my top 10
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill Healy

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 06:21:46 PM »
Noel Freeman,  I am pleased that you liked my Eastward Ho! treatise.  It is posted on the front end, non-member section of the club website.  Unfortunately, it is a large document with many pictures, so the PDF takes 90-120 seconds to open up.  For anyone familiar with the golf course at Eastward Ho!, I am interestd in suggestions for improving my work.  Thanks,  Bill Healy

C. Squier

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 11:34:38 PM »
I echo the previous comments....Eastward Ho! is a fantastic golf course, way underrated IMHO.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 05:37:59 AM »
Thanks Noel and Bill.  This was an interesting read of a course I have long wanted to see. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark McKeever

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 11:05:38 AM »

Niall,

The seach function is your friend.   :)  I did a detailed comparison of the two courses a while back.  Scroll down a bit in the thread for my writeup.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,50568.0.html

Mark
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:09:54 AM by Mark McKeever »
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mark McKeever

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »
I echo the previous comments....Eastward Ho! is a fantastic golf course, way underrated IMHO.

Agreed with all these comments above.  If anyone hasnt seen it yet, you have to make an effort to get to Randy's outing in late September.   The golf course is incredible.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Randy Van Sickle

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 02:11:40 PM »
Welcome to the Treehouse, Dr, Bill!  I only learned of your treatise through this site and have not had a chance to read it yet, but look forward to doing so.

NAFfer, you have my celll phone #, give me a call sometime!  I've played about 10 rounds of golf in the last 2 years due to work, kids and volunteer activities.  Ramping up to make it closer to 50 rounds this year.
Can't get back to RDGC soon enough

Sean Leary

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »
Pete Lavallee and I played with Randy on a winter day a few years back after much of the tree clearing had occurred but not all.  Need to get back in the summer or fall  ;) someday....

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »
Sean,

I played in the St Michaels Charity Tournament this past Oct. and the place is just about perfect now. The greens we didn't get a chance to play because of the renovation, 6 and 15 were outstanding and worth the price of admission alone. Of course being able to have a couple of frosty brews in the clubhouse after the round was great too! I would strongly encourage anyone on the lookout for great lay of the land architecture to sign up for this years event.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

David Kelly

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »
Bill Healy,

Very impressive piece of work.  Have you thought about publishing it as a book?

I had the pleasure of playing Eastward Ho! two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It is very high on my list of courses that I want very much to return.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Ed Oden

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »
I finally had a chance to read Bill's history and echo the sentiments of others.  Well done Bill.  

By coincidence, a few weeks ago I sent Chris Buie a link to photos I took of Eastward Ho! this past fall.  Those photos included this one of the approach to the 3rd green...

Ever the evil genius, Chris decides that the hole should have an infinity view and sends me back this photoshopped image without any trees in the background...

So imagine my surprise when I spotted this old photo in Bill's history of the 3rd hole sans trees...

Sure would be killer to restore that view!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:09:21 PM by Ed Oden »

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 09:51:21 PM »
How underrated is Eastward Ho?? Thanks for posting.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »
This is fantastic, Bill.  Welcome to the site, and thanks for sharing your work.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 04:27:41 AM »
Bill,

your Eastward Ho! document is brilliant. You must have invested a huge amount of time and effort researching and writing it up so a big, big well done. I'm a fan of Herbert Fowler courses generally and the photos posted above and in your history have me well, drooling to play EH! someday.

Interesting photos from Ed as well. I like the 'trees-removed' comparison photo of the 3rd green. Although trees on courses have some benefits, as those who take male dogs on courses will be aware, I'm of the opinion that tree growth generally shouldn't be permitted to become to prominent, something many courses have suffered from over the years.

All the best

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back