News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

edmorrissett

Traditional New York and New Hampshire Courses
« on: July 15, 2003, 09:26:00 AM »
Four courses and lodging facilities in New York and New Hampshire have been recommended to me for an autumn trip.  They are Leatherstocking and Sagamore in New York and The Balsams and Mount Washington in New Hampshire.  Any opinions or additions or deletions?

Martin Del Vecchio

Re:Traditional New York and New Hampshire Courses
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 10:39:05 AM »
A bunch of my friends are playing Leatherstocking on Saturday.  I will get their opinions and report them next week.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 11:37:49 AM »
Ed

I've been interested in Leatherstocking myself.  It has an interesting pedigree and the area is beautiful.

Remember that autumn comes early in New Hampshire.

I think you should really try to get to Olde Kinderhook near Albany, NY on this trip.  Its on the GW list and I think you will be pleasantly surprised even in relation to Ocean Forrest.

Also, if you have time and would like to see Yale or Fenway on your way up please let me know.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 12:20:26 PM »
I would play St. Johnsbury CC in vermont instead of Mount Washington.  I know the post is NY and NH courses; however, St. Johnsbury is about 15 miles from Bethlehem, NH which is around 15 miles from Breton Woods, NH where Mount Washington is located.  St. Johnsbury has 9 holes routed by Willie Park Jr. over some very hilly terrain and 9 holes routed by Geoffrey Cornish.  During construction of the original 9 hole course Wille Park Jr. became very ill; thus, the greens were finished by his brother Mungo Park.  

scott_wood

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 02:03:42 PM »
Ed, Leatherstocking is an interesting, fun, older course, in a majestic setting which has been "modernized" in recent years but not to the detriment of the layout.

One suggestion would be to add Taconic, which is directly on your drive to NH, and is "a step above" Leatherstocking. Or,  if you'd like to stop at Olde Kinderhook, 30 miles east of Taconic, I'd be pleased to host you.

Cheers

Willie_Dow

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 03:03:54 PM »
Sure would like to hear comments on the work Ron Pritchard did at Hanover Golf Club.  When I was up there for my 50th a couple of years ago it was being finished, and it really looked great.
The Hanover Inn is a pretty good overnight as well, but get your bed reservations early.

Willie

Craig Disher

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 04:46:35 PM »
Lake Sunapee CC near New London, NH, looked great on a quick walk-around two years ago. It's private but I believe the club permits play from visitors.

The Ross course was restored several years ago by Ron Forse and his beautiful master plan was displayed prominently in the clubhouse.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 05:20:36 PM »
Not to threadjack this topic, but can anyone recommend any courses in the Lake Placid area.  Quirky and sporty are good.  ;)

Cheers,
Brad Swanson
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 07:13:08 PM by Brad Swanson »

Michael Moore

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 09:57:41 PM »
Ed -

Nice site!

The Balsams is absolutely spectacular, and I'm only talking about the golf - the views are gravy. If you have preconceptions about a resort course on the side of a mountain (which I did not have when I played it, but do now after reading this damn web site!), throw them away. The course is big and burly, and the use of the countours is very clever, as you might expect from Donald Ross. A must play, only the outrageously remote location prevents it from more noteriaty. And yes, a super bargain at $60.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

grandwazo

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2003, 10:54:27 PM »
Ed
I stay at the Sagamore every year during my kids camp visiting weekend, I always feel taken but unfortunately in the Lake George area it's the only choice.   It's a zoo the weekend I go and the food is very nondescript and overpriced.  I would recommend the Friends Lake Inn for lodging in the area, great rooms, great restaurant (over 10,000 bottles of wine in the cellar), very peaceful.  It's always booked on the weekend we are in the area, but we always eat dinner there which is great.
As far as the Sagamore course, I played it once, starts off with a par four straight downhill and then straight uphill and if I remember correctly it's the only elevation change on the course.  It was very soggy the day I played it and really underwhelmed me overall.

paul cowley

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2003, 11:19:33 PM »
...ed ,if it comes to a choice between the sagamore and leatherstocking ,i would go with the  later....classic devereau emmitt ,along with the town ,baseball hall of fame and the farmers museum,all underdone......
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2003, 09:49:03 AM »
Here's what my friend said about Leatherstocking:

"On the way home..., Bill and I played Leatherstocking in Cooperstown, NY.  What a fantastic place to play! Built in 1909, it has a lot of Donald Ross influence:  optical illusions, false fronts on green approaches, deep bunkers, and elevated greens.  The setting, on Lake Ostega, is absolutely gorgeous! Assuming we go and do the Pittsburgh thing next year, I would strongly encourage us to go early and play on the way out."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back