News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Greensburg CC - Greensburg Pa - Unk. Ross?
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:36:09 PM »
I came across an article about Donald Ross doing some work for the Greensburg Country Club in Greensburg, Pa..  A check of the club's website shows that they do not mention him, but they also lost records in a fire:

http://www.greensburgcc.com/clubhouse/club-history.html

The club has a few photos of the present day course here:

http://www.greensburgcc.com/clubhouse/photos-course.html

The course doesn't appear in the DRS listing of his works:

http://www.donaldross.org/Resources/Documents/DRSList_Rev_2011.pdf

The lone article, from the Greensburg Daily Tribune, dated Thursday, May 25, 1922:

I haven't found anything else mentioning Ross' involvement.  Anyone ever played/noticed Ross' touch at this course?
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Sven Nilsen

Re: Greensburg CC - Greensburg Pa - Unk. Ross?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:51:02 PM »
Jim:

Supposedly Bendelow did a 9 hole layout in 1904, and at some point in the mid-20's the course went from 9 to 18 holes (the 1923 Annual Guide notes 9 holes, the 1925 Guide has 18).  Those dates would coincide with Ross coming in around 1922 to start the work on a new 18 holes, perhaps opening in 1923 or 1924.

The club history notes a Mr. P.B. Graham (of Carnoustie) as the original architect, but doesn't seem to give a date.  Their discussion of the changes in the 20's and the fact that many of the original holes are still in existence doesn't jive with the article's assertion that Ross came in and built an entire new course on the same grounds, and reflects the confusion they may have due to the loss of their records.

Some of the earlier Annual Guides give a date of 1898 for the formation of the club, while the later guides have 1904.

One wonders if a course was laid out by Graham, reworked by Bendelow in 1904 and remodeled and expanded by Ross c. 1922 with the changes eventually being reflected in the 1925 Annual Guide.

Hope this helps,

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 02:01:26 PM »
Looking at the photos, a few of them look very much like a Ross.  Great find!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »
Mark,
Thanks. I've continued to look for other mentions of Ross at Greenburg, but no success as yet.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

astavrides

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 04:25:22 PM »
Rocco Mediate is from Greensburg.  It's maybe 45 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh.  A lot of my family lives there.  My grandfather was a member when he was alive.  I've driven by and one can see some holes.  I ate dinner in the restaurant once when I was a kid.  That's all I know.  Sorry, this was a bit off an off topic post. 

Mark Steffey

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »
there is a road that now cuts through the course (there is a fence protecting cars that you can take relief from on the other side on one hole.  closer to the green... weird).  it also ends with three par 3s in the last four holes (18 being a blind uphill 100y buble popper).   i don't know how the routing has changed since then, but i can't see DR doing that  :P

Paul Carey

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 09:30:29 AM »
I have played there in a tournament one weekend and my opinion is that it has been tweaked by a number of architects and I believe had to reroute some holes for roads or development.  Some to the green sites are really cool--well bunkered and well designed surface undulations.  Other greens are dead flat with flat saucer type bunkers.  No way the same guy would do that.  I know the short 18th was not a part of the original routing but I don't remember why.

It has a lot of good and fun holes.  Bringing them all together with the mundane holes would make this place right near the top of my fun list.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back