News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Podlogar_Pinehurst Resort

Uncovering Pinehurst No. 2 - By Bob Farren
« on: November 07, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »
Pinehurst Director of Golf Course Maintenance and Grounds Bob Farren is speaking at the USGA’s Water Summit today. Bob was kind enough to share extensive details of the restoration of Pinehurst No. 2, site of the 2014 men’s and women’s U.S. Opens:

http://pinehurstresort.wordpress.com/2012/11/07/uncovering-pinehurst-no-2-by-bob-farren/
Alex Podlogar
Content and Social Media Manager
Pinehurst Resort

Mike Nuzzo

Re: Uncovering Pinehurst No. 2 - By Bob Farren
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
I like the reduction from 1100 irrigation rotors to 450
I had a chance to visit the course prior to the Affordable Golf Symposium last month and also back in 2005.
I created a slide show of the shots that were nearest to each other for comparison

http://www.mnuzzo.com/Pinehurst/

I do feel compelled to report on one curious item:
The 5th hole has a new set of tees behind the cart path making the hole 100 yards longer?
Are they going to make a switch for the open?

Here is a view looking back from behind the 5th green

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 05:27:01 PM »
Mike, the plan is for the fourth to play as a par 4 and the fifth to play as a par 5 for the Open.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 05:49:37 PM »
Thank you Jason
I hadn't read that before

Why would they if the ball hasn't been a problem since 2005???  :)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

hhuffines

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:57:43 PM »
Lee Pace has a nice new book out, "The Golden Age of Pinehurst," with lots of historical photos and the evolution of today's #2.   Also has a layout of Pinehurst #9 which looks really interesting, especially if you knew the Pit course.  For those of you in the Triangle area, he is having a book signing and Q and A at Quail Ridge books on Dec. 1st.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:28:03 PM »
What method do they/will they use to keep the sandy scrub areas from growing weeds, bermuda,and or volunteer saplings etc.
I understand the lack of artificial irrigation will help, but it does rain down there,and wind does blow irrigation water.

Sure would like to see Palmetto return to that look (pinestraw and sand -perhaps minus the wire grass ;))
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:33:53 PM »
Lee Pace has a nice new book out, "The Golden Age of Pinehurst," with lots of historical photos and the evolution of today's #2.   Also has a layout of Pinehurst #9 which looks really interesting, especially if you knew the Pit course.  For those of you in the Triangle area, he is having a book signing and Q and A at Quail Ridge books on Dec. 1st.

Mr. Pace will also be at the Pinehurst bi-annual merchandise sale this weekend.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back