News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

DETROIT: Tigers, Beer, Birmingham CC & Franklin Hills New
« on: October 28, 2012, 11:08:02 AM »
People usually speak to me about Detroit in terms of cars, Motown and/or crime.  In recent times, the Motor City has added another resume builder - blight.  So much is this the case that when many people hear the word "blight", "Detroit" follows immediately.  Internationally recognized for its architecture, Detroit has allowed many of its prized buildings to fall into disrepair and so inspire photographers to chronicle the Demise of Detroit.  The symbol for this decay is Michigan Central Depot, a Beaux Arts building constructed in 1913. Not more than a handful of miles from Hart Plaza to the east and the Ambassador Bridge within sight to the south (yes, Windsor is south of Detroit), this 18 storey behemoth is awe inspiring even in its current state.   

What is most remarkable about this journey to Comerica Park is my mate Craig had never laid eyes on the structure before. It was a special treat on the way to Tiger bars when the game was played at the Corner of Michigan and Trumbull.  It is quite something to think 50,000 plus fans used to jam into Tiger Stadium.  It doesn't seem plausible that many people could fit onto the empty lot which is all that remains of the once treasured home of the Tigers.  When the city insisted on tearing down the building it effectively ripped out the heart of Corktown and left the area for dead. Yet a few Tiger bars remain and these are where I do my before and after libations when taking in a game. 

A burger and a few Blues later, we are on the shuttle to Comerica for game 4 of the American League Pennant Series (call me old fashioned) against the seemingly always favoured Yankees. At stake is a place in the World Series. The aforementioned mate - aka Nader; he's as American as any Syrian can be  :)   

Play ball.  The large Renaissance inspired Kahn design on the left is the Detroit Athletic Club - celebrating its 125 year anniversary this year. 

The outcome was never in doubt, but all good things must come to an end...

but in my case, despite being a bit bleary-eyed and feeling like breakfast would do more harm than good, I was up early for a game at Birmingham Country Club.  See link for Birmingham CC tour.

www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63580.msg1513956.html#msg1513956 ::)

The next day its back to Detroit to make a few critical stops whenever I am in Michigan.

Downtown next for a visit to the Institution. I can't imagine what life would be like in Detroit without coney dogs.

Finally, up to Midtown to drink terrible beer in a suspect, but lovable bar - The Old Miami.  The Cass Corridor has been cleaned up, but the owners of this place don't know it.  Before heading north I usually stop in at the Cafe.

The last game of the trip took me about 4 miles south and west of Birmingham CC, the other side of Telegraph.  Like Crystal Downs, Franklin Hills is a little known design for many Michiganders.  After teething problems at an earlier site in Redford (Redford CC), it is thought the club insisted Ross invest more personal time on the Franklin Hills project. Among the Jewish community, Franklin Hills is well known because the club is a direct descendant of the Phoenix Club which was a Jewish social club established in 1872.  By 1905 the club was on its third city premises and desired to have a country club to compliment its city club.  A 9 hole course designed by Tom Bendelow was established and eventually the club decided that golf should be self sustaining, thus Redford CC (later a city of Detroit municipal called Rogell then privately owned as New Rogell and now closed) was born.  A year later, in 1921, Donald Ross was called in to build a second  nine and convert the sand greens to grass.  It was quickly realized that the land hard on the Rouge River was unsuitable for ideal golf (the drainage issues were never resolved).  Additionally, long closed Edgewater (amusement) Park was slated to be opened directly across the street from Redford CC, thus spoiling the country appeal of the club.  Consequently, a new site in Franklin (the village is in Southfield Township, but the course is in Farmington Hills), some 20 miles northwest of Detroit, was selected as optimal land to build Franklin Hills.  The course was designed by Donald Ross and was to opened in 1927.  Club member, the famous architect, Albert Khan (aka Architect of Detroit), was commisioned to build the clubhouse.  While vibrant, Frankiln Hills is tucked away in a secluded area and many Detroiters don't know of its existence.

When entering the property one is immediately seduced by the practice ground to the right and the course to the left.  Indeed, the first hole sets the tone early for what is a special course.  A rolling par 4 of 400+ yards with deep bunkers either side of the fairway and a large green. While there is plenty of elevation change, at no time does it feel as though the course is overly hilly.  The 2nd hole seems to play less than its listed yardage though with blind water down the left and bunkering, there is plenty of danger.

A very good par 3, the third features a plateau green.  #4 is a dead straight par 5.  #5 is a handsome two-shotter with its shelf green built off the hill for the 6th tee.  Notice the top-shot bunker- this feature is highlighted on a few holes.

A brute of a par 4, but the 6th is still a very good hole.   Now the course changes its complexion by heading into a more treed area of the property.  The 7th is a long par 4 playing uphill after the tee shot - a par here is very well earned.

Eight too is a shortish par 5 which doesn't become interesting until approaching the green.  If I had to pick a weakness of Franklin Hills it would certainly be the par 5s, although I believe the back nine has two good examples of the type. 

Perhaps the best putting surface on the front nine of a surprisingly sedate set of greens, the par 3 ninth packs a powerful punch.

The 10th offers no advance preview for the diabolical uphill 11th.  The drive falls away to the right and through a fairly tight corridor of trees. 

Emerging from the trees, #12 begs the golfer to drive the upper tier of the fairway to leave a fully visible green. 

Emphasizing a volcano green which is incredibly small, the diminutive 13th is one of my favourite holes on the course and the surprise hole of the trip. 

The downhill 14, a longish par 3.

The best par 5 was saved for last, though the hole may play better as a par 4 with some work.  The hole turns left and is reachable.

The long par 3 sixteenth is visually an odd hole.  The cart path cuts in from the right and the green is not a well defined target.  #17 too is aesthetically compromised, but once one sees the hole in reverse the option of driving over the water is more clear.  If one is taking the left route it will likely be necessary to lay-up.  If the right route is an option be careful to accurately judge the wind over open water.

The long approach after a lay-up.

The home hole plays between sentinel trees and the bunker down the left is reachable despite visual evidence to the contrary. 

The biggest surprise for me was the lack of movement in the greens.  I thought Franklin Hills would feature rolling greens such as at Oakland Hills or Grosse Ile.  That isn't to say the green aren't interesting, just not quite as entertaining as a few other Ross courses in the Detroit area. I think the star of the show, and this is usually the case for Ross, are the par 4s.  There is great variety with the thirteenth being a throwback hole not easily matched in the Detroit area.  The mostly open nature of the design helps to create a serene parkland feel yet with a sense of space.  I enjoyed the course immensely and would cherish a return visit.  2012 1*

Birmingham CC
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63580.msg1514178.html#msg1514178

Orchard Lake CC
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61798.msg1469133.html#msg1469133

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 07:28:29 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jud_T

Re: DETROIT
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »
I've never been as scared as I was in the cheap seats on opening day at the old Tiger Stadium circa 1980.  Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll and Fight Club had nothing on those dudes....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David_Tepper

Re: DETROIT: Golf, Odds n' Sods
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 12:53:06 PM »
Sean -

Too bad your Tigers are, so far, playing like pussycats in the World Series!  ;)

DT

Jeff_Mingay

Re: DETROIT: Tigers, Beer, Birmingham & Franklin
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 03:07:21 PM »
Sorry I missed you (again) on your recent visit to Detroit, Sean. Based on a few of the landmarks in your photos above, we'd get along great. I've been hanging out at Nemo's forever; and, The Old Miami... wow, I've seen some great bands play there over the years.

Go Tigers,
jeffmingay.com

David_Tepper

Re: DETROIT: Tigers, Beer, Birmingham & Franklin Hills
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:54:44 PM »
"meow"  ;)

Greg Gilson

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:33:23 AM »
Sean thanks for the fun write-up. I'm guessing the line below was to see who was paying attention....or is Ross taking Mackenzie kudos for CDGC?

Like Crystal Downs, Franklin Hills is a little known Donald Ross design built near the peak of his career.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 10:13:22 AM »
Franklin Hills is a must in the Detroit area... and, so is Lafayette Coney Island!
jeffmingay.com

Jfaspen

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »
Glad you enjoyed your stay in Michigan and thanks for posting pics/reviews of these two courses.. I live within 10 miles of both but haven't seen them yet.  Franklin Hills looks as good as it's supposed to be. 

Next time you're in town, hit up Slows (just up the street from Nemos) for some out of this world BBQ!

Sean_A

Re: DETROIT: Tigers, Beer, Birmingham CC & Franklin Hills New
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »
Jeff

I used to visit Nemos in the ole days, but not so much these past 20 years.  Nothing much has changed.

The Old Miami is definitely not what it used to be.  I remember the Vietnam Vets hangin' round wonderin' what the hell all the goofy kids were doin' there.  It was one of my Detroit hang outs for music along with Paychecks in Hamtramck (and The New Dodge not far away - a few old polish bars are good as well - Hamtramck is still the best place for proper bars), Bakers Keyboard Lounge (only a mile or so north of Detroit GC) in a scuzzy part of town.  Also used to go to St Andrews for bigger bands, but I never liked the vibe there.  Soup Kitchen had some decent bands too, but we tended to just drive to Chicago if we wanted blues.  But to be fair, there wasn't a better music bar than Joes Star Lounge in Ann Arbor.  It was a sad day when that place closed.  I see the fancy bloody brew pub took over the Del Rio - one of my other favourites in Ann Arbor.

Maybe one day we will connect.  I would like to see Essex one day if I can brave the bridge.

Jeff

Yes, I will have to try Slows some time. 

David

Three tough losses - thats life.  Perhaps the Tigers used up all their luck against the Yankees - they sure didn't get any in against SF. 

Ciao     
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:09:03 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

David_Tepper

Re: DETROIT: Tigers, Beer, Birmingham CC & Franklin Hills
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 10:04:50 PM »
"Perhaps the Tigers used up all their luck against the Yankees"

Sean -

Perhaps they did. ;)

DT

Mike Benham

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 12:27:11 PM »

Sean - Did you get a chance to attend a Red Wings game  ... ... ... oh never mind
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 09:33:54 PM »

Sean - Did you get a chance to attend a Red Wings game  ... ... ...

That was cruel and unusual....

Ciao

Mark Johnson

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 10:08:56 PM »
great post thanks.

I played Franklin Hills maybe 10 years ago and could never remember the name, but know it was a course I liked.

Overall, I think Detroit (and really Michigan as a whole) is incredibly underrated as a golf location.   I believe Oakland hills is the best private  two course complex in the country (sorry winged foot and baltursol).

I think one of the reason Detroit is so underrated is 1) all of the top courses are private and 2) people are fleeing the town like nobodys business.

In terms of top courses per capita, I am not sure I another top metro area is close to detroit.

Mike Schott

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 04:05:21 AM »
great post thanks.

I played Franklin Hills maybe 10 years ago and could never remember the name, but know it was a course I liked.

Overall, I think Detroit (and really Michigan as a whole) is incredibly underrated as a golf location.   I believe Oakland hills is the best private  two course complex in the country (sorry winged foot and baltursol).

I think one of the reason Detroit is so underrated is 1) all of the top courses are private and 2) people are fleeing the town like nobodys business.

In terms of top courses per capita, I am not sure I another top metro area is close to detroit.

We are blessed with an abundance of quality public courses in the Metro Detroit area. Favorites of mine are:

The Majestic- Hartland-one of the better Jerry Matthews designs,
Northville Hills-Northville (Palmer)
Dunham Hills-Hartland
Leslie Park-Ann Arbor
Timber Trace-Pinckney (a good course worth the drive but not walkable)
Pine Trace-Rochester Hills
The Orchards-Washington (RTJ Jr.)
Eagle Crest-Ypsilanti (Player)
Shepherds Hollow-Clarkston.

Not to mention dozens of courses that are worth playing at very affordable rates.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
great post thanks.

We are blessed with an abundance of quality public courses in the Metro Detroit area. Favorites of mine are:

Dunham Hills-Hartland
Leslie Park-Ann Arbor

Not to mention dozens of courses that are worth playing at very affordable rates.

good point.   I was originally just referring to the city and close suburbs.  (I once had a debate about whether AA was a Detroit suburb which I have no desire to relive.)

Admittedly, I have never heard of Pine Trace in Rochester Hills.  But i think your list kinda proves my point.   Having to go our to AA or Clarkston for a good public course says something about the publics in Deroit and near suburbs.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 08:47:05 AM »
The 13th at Franklin Hills is one of the most unique holes in golf.  If I make 3 or 4, I like the hole, but if I make a 5, then I don't like that hole.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Mike Schott

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »
great post thanks.

Dunham Hills-Hartland
Leslie Park-Ann Arbor

good point.   I was originally just referring to the city and close suburbs.  (I once had a debate about whether AA was a Detroit suburb which I have no desire to relive.)

Admittedly, I have never heard of Pine Trace in Rochester Hills.  But i think your list kinda proves my point.   Having to go our to AA or Clarkston for a good public course says something about the publics in Deroit and near suburbs.

Hi Mark.

I'm not quite sure of the point you are trying to make but the courses I named are some of the very best public courses in the area and there are plenty of muni's and others well worth playing within a short drive of almost anywhere in the area. I live in Farmington Hills, about 4 miles south of Franklin Hills and there are at least a dozen worthwhile public courses within a 20 minute drive. These may not be GCA quality courses but most provide a good test and are on decent land. The Detroit metro area is huge and we have well over 100 public courses in the area. The options are as good as anywhere in the country for decent affordable golf. Think of some of the larger metro areas in the country (LA, Bay Area, NYC). How far do you have to drive to find decent golf at affordable prices? You can walk a good public course in the Detroit area for $35.00!

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 06:43:16 PM »
Lynn

Yes, FH's 13th is a very cool hole.  Knowing what I do now, I would throw out my thoughts of laying-up.  Hitting that green even with a full wedge would be difficult. 

Mike

Half the publics you mentioned are not in Metro Detroit and none of them are in the same league as a great many privates around the city - although I like Shepherds Hollow (for a cart course) and Leslie Park a lot.  You should try Leslie's little bro, Huron Hills. The front nine up the hill is very good.  I used to like New Rogell (in Detroit hard on the Rouge River between 6 & 7 mile on Berg - hard to believe there is a course there) and Brae Burn (in Plymouth), but I think these would usually be very wet in the shoulder months.  I am also fond of Hunters Ridge in Howell. 

BTW

For some freaky reason I ended up in Livonia one night - first time ever.  I stumbled across Wine Castle on 7 Mile off 96.  It blew me away seeing such an ordinary (from the curb) party store with such a huge selection of beer, wine and spirits.  It was a warm night so I picked up a bottle of Beaujolais to watch the Tigers.  I swear on a stack of bibles that 15 years ago no party store in or near Detroit would carry one selection let alone four. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:06:54 AM by Sean_A »

Mike Schott

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »
Hi Sean.

I've played Huron Hills before and the west side of the course has some nice terrain. That must be the front nine you reference. It's been years since I've played Brae Burn which is known for a 600 yard double dogleg par 5. And for sure, none of the public tracks in the area can compete with courses like FH, Oakland Hills, Bloomfield Hills (does that course ever get any play?), Detroit Country Club, CC of D, Meadowbrook and the like.

I haven't played New Rogell but 20 or so years ago played it when it was just Rogell. Supposedly it was originally designed by Ross. You could tell it had good bones with nice hills and valleys and the holes west of Berg were on great land. Rouge Park a bit south of there is another nice old track which has been better maintained than Rogell.

Wine Castle has been around forever. I grew up in Livonia about 3 miles down the road.

BCowan

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 10:56:02 AM »
S,

Great photos of Franklin Hills.  #2, #9, and #13 are stellar imho.  The course is very solid.  #3, #5, #6, #14, and #18 are really good too.  I think a few more hundred trees down and it would be even better but they have removed a ton in the past.  I love blind shots but don't like blind shots with water (#17).  If the tee was raised and the 3 or so trees cut down it would be a really good hole. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 09:46:29 PM »
I somehow missed this thread a couple of years ago.  What a fine golf and travel piece Sean wrote!
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sean_A

Re: DETROIT: Tigers, Beer, Birmingham CC & Franklin Hills (resized pix)
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 03:42:54 AM »
Cheers Ben & Dick

I wish I had a few good pix of the 1st, but alas the sun wasn't favouring me.  It may be the best hole on the course, but my tip for favourite must be the 13th - what a hole.  I didn't think trees were a big issue mainly because there were so many great specimens not mucked with by stupid trees and I think the club likely keeps the tree areas well cleared of harsh rough/undergrowth.  Look at pix of the 2nd to the right.  That is my idea of a perfect tree area.

Ben - if you get the chance, play Birmingham CC.  The greens are very good and there are a lot of fine holes.   

I resized the pix so they are much better framed now.  Take another look.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:47:26 AM by Sean_A »

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 09:07:39 PM »
13th at Franklin is one of the most unique, special holes in golf. The short par 4 by which all others should be measured.

BCowan

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 09:10:52 PM »
13th at Franklin is one of the most unique, special holes in golf. The short par 4 by which all others should be measured.

+1, I doubled it and was still in awe.  Lesson learned don't hit driver.  

S,

Great thread!  The whole thread was really well done.  

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 02:49:40 AM »

Yes, I think there must generally be a great temptation for archies to use a green site like this as a par 3.  It was an excellent idea to create a shortie 4 instead.

Ben - cheers.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back