News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

The journey to Highlands Links starts off for many from Sydney, NS.  Along the way, one must take the Englishtown Ferry, which is little more than a make-work project and traverses no more than 100 feet!

Much of the drive to Highlands Links is anything but thrilling, but as one gets nearer to Ingonish, the road begins to wind, the terrain rises and falls, and the views of the water become more prevalent...

Adjacent to Highlands Links is the historic Keltic Lodge

Facilities at the Canada Parks owned Highlands Links are simple but adequate...

And along the journey that is Highlands Links, one is sure to make a few new friends (just don't get too close!)...

Onto the golf.  All photos and yardages will be from the 6,592 yard, Par 72 Blue (back) tees (73.3/141):

Hole 1: Par 4, 405 Yards -- The first is no tame opener, a mid-length par-4 made much longer playing straight uphill to a green that asks for an aerial approach.   Though on a smaller scale than some other holes at Highlands Links, the first gives an introduction to the wild, natural and seemingly untamed fairways that are a Highlands Links signature.  

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:06:43 PM by Mark Saltzman »

David_Tepper

Mark -

What a great looking green!

I played Highlands Links 21 years ago and only remember the general look of the course. I am looking forward your pics and to refreshing my memory.

DT

Robert Emmons

1st fairway gets you in the mood for the lumpy look...RHE

Stephen Davis

Thanks for starting this thread. There was talk about the course being in less than stellar condition and it is great to see pictures of what it really looks like.

Chris Newton

Great pictures. Looking forward to the rest of the tour!

Guy Nicholson

Difficult opening shot. The fairway isn't exactly narrow, but it's uphill, into the wind, with thick bush on both sides. There's no range, and you're just a few yards from many watching eyes at the putting green and clubhouse.

Ian Andrew

I'm travelling a lot, but I'll try add historical photos as you go.
-

Mark Saltzman

I'm travelling a lot, but I'll try add historical photos as you go.

Ian, that would be great, I'd love to see them!

Ian Andrew

1st Green During Construction

1st Tee just around 1950

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:26:35 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

Mark Saltzman

For comparison...

Mark Saltzman

Ian, how close does the width of the current first match its original width?  At first glance it looks much narrower, but I think that may just be because the trees surrounding the fairway have grown.

Based on the contouring in the fairway it looks like most of the width is there?

Adam Clayman

What a great journey this course takes us on, and the first, gradually intrigues the player, mimicking the fascination throughout the entire adventure. The 1st green, as are all, or most of them, great examples of real character. The kind of character missing from modern and disfigured courses wanting stimps in the 13.5 neighborhood. 

I'm floored by the images Ian's providing. Seeing the terrain through the sparser older forest is delicious.

A paper company should take over management and cut all that crap down.

Great Mark and Ian, thanks.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Peter Pallotta

Mark - god help me (and Ian forgive me), but except for Muskoka Sands I only know Thompson's work through photos, and this 1st hole is one of the few that I've ever really liked. (My loss, no doubt, and my blindness - but there is nothing I've seen from, say, St George's that is as appealing as this). I look forward to liking more.

Peter 

Greg McMullin

Likely early 50's --

Mark Saltzman

Hole 2: Par 4, 447 Yards -- While the first is decent enough way to get away from the clubhouse, the 2nd is the first of several world-class holes at Highlands Links.  The tee shot is blind over a small rise in the fairway.  Golfers brave enough to play down the right side of the fairway may find a speed-slot.

Like the 1st fairway, the 2nd fairway heaves and rolls, with undulations that must near 10 feet high.

Even if the fairways are running, the preferred approach to the 2nd will be an aerial one, as the green is set just over a rise in the fairway.

The width and elevation change on the 2nd can make the size of the rise to the green feel small, but this picture shows that there is every bit of 10 feet of elevation from green surface to the bottom of the dip.

The green is another great one.

Don Hyslop

Absolutely love this hole and the roller coaster approach to the green.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Ian Andrew

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:34:41 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

Greg McMullin

From number 2 tee October 2011 (not certain who took this picture?)

Number 2 green circa 1950

John Mayhugh

Thanks for starting this tour, Mark.  And to Ian for adding the historic photos.

I love that swale short of the 2nd green.

Tom Ferrell

I leave Tuesday for the Cabot/Highlands Links trip.  Cannot wait!  Fall colors, seaside golf, exotic locations.  O, Canada!

Mark Saltzman

Hole 3: Par 3, 160 Yards -- The 3rd at Highlands Links may get forgotten, but that is only because it is sandwiched between two all-world golf holes.  Looking right from the tee box affords the golfer with a tremendous view of the water, though the water is not (should not be) in play on this hole.

The tee is slightly elevated and with no trees to protect the golfer from the elements, wind should be a major factor at the 3rd.

The green is open in front but bunkered on the remaining three sides.

This 'S' bunker guards the front portion of the green.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find the 'T' bunker.

A pair of diagonal ridges trisect this small-ish green.

A look back to the tee

Ian Andrew

Construction Photo

Thought to be during the war, but this one was a mystery for date

-

Ian Andrew

Notes:

When I began the work, you could not see the ocean from the tee but I had an old image where the view was the same.

I was asked today about the "S" bunker. It shows up on the earliest aerial clear as day (1953). Stanley Thompson visited the course annually till his death in 1953 (step-daughter recounted the last five trips when we sat down together). I was asked why I left the bunker and to be honest I never considered its removal at any point. The aerial matches up with his last visit, so I gave the bunker the benefit of the doubt as being his addition. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I have no other information to go by at present.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 07:55:45 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

Mark Saltzman

Hole 4: Par 4, 275 Yards -- A truly world-class short par-4.  The first picture is from the original tee (which I was told is rarely, if ever, used) and the second picture is from an added back tee (at 324 yards) which takes away much of the interest in the tee shot.  Some may be tempted to drive the green as it's only 250ish yards to the front edge of the green, but the target is narrow and extremely protected.  Those laying up must control there distance.  It is a carry of 170 yards to crest the hill that runs across the fairway, but tee shots over 210 yards will run into a hollow, leaving an awkward and blind uphill pitch over bunkering.

The approach from the perfect lay-up tee shot, 90 yards out from the green.

The green rolls naturally with the terrain until a built-up back-stop protects shots just a bit long from tumbling down a steep fall-off.

From behind:

From 5th tee:

Jeff_Mingay

Not to stir the pot, but the 3rd hole looks really neat without the 's-bunker', in those historic photos. I've played Highlands at least a handful of times and have always thought that bunker looked a bit bizarre... Mr. Thompson's or not.

I need to add, the 4th looks great, Ian. Especially by comparison with what was there before your recent work... and after Mr. Thompson's.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:31:22 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back