News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

"Thistle Dhu" opens at Pinehurst
« on: September 04, 2012, 03:15:28 PM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mike Nuzzo

Re: "Thistle Dhu" opens at Pinehurst
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »
Will this help create more exposure in the states for when we pitch a putting course to clubs?
Apparently The Old Course's ladies putting course hasn't been enough to sway anyone.
Cheers

Funny fact:  Bernie is my fathers best friend from college.  I will be seeing him during the Affordable golf symposium - and I assume Thistle Dhu too!
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »
The wife and I gave it a try the other day.  It really is alot of fun!  I'm actually surprised more resorts don't do this.  It gets alot of families out on the practice area together.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 03:19:18 AM »
When I looked at the video I was stunned by the no of Carts around!

How far away can it be?

"Happiness is a long walk with a putter in your hand". Lee Trevino.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 11:58:25 AM »
When I looked at the video I was stunned by the no of Carts around!

How far away can it be?

"Happiness is a long walk with a putter in your hand". Lee Trevino.

Not far...supposedly next to the first tee for #4.  Pinehurst certainly is not a place where walking is encouraged (aside from #2 with a caddie) so most people ride.  There is a trail fee if you walk which is the same as if you take a cart.

Chris Buie

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »

This is where they got the name. I haven't gotten out there just yet but everybody I know that has loves it.

There was an Alps inspired putting course in front of the original Pine Needles Inn back in the day as well.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 04:24:01 PM »
Brian,
"Is Dhu a word?"

I'll take a stab at it.  Dhu is a corruption of the Gaelic dubh as in sgian dubh morphing into skean dhu.    Now as to "Thistle Dhu" I cannot fathom it.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Jason Thurman

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 10:25:59 PM »
I was out there this afternoon playing a lighthearted match when an 80 year old woman drove up in a golf cart wearing purple pants, a pink shirt, and a bright pink bow in her hair. She was alone and pulled out her putter and started hitting a few (quite well, actually). After 30 seconds, she started giggling. She literally (LITERALLY!) never stopped giggling for the next 30 minutes.

Between giggles she would exclaim "Oh this is hilarious!" "What fun!" "This is just wild!" "Whoever built this must've had a wonderful time!" to no one in particular. A few times we answered her, but it was obvious she didn't really care whether anyone responded or not. She was in her own world.

I really don't think I've ever seen someone so happy. I'll play Pinehurst No. 2 for the first time tomorrow, and I took a run around the course tonight. It looks amazing. But I'd be surprised if I remember anything that happens during my round there for as long as I'll remember the giggling 80 year old solo woman on Thistle Dhu having more fun than should be legal.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 01:48:16 AM »
Brian,
the info I found on the name suggested that the original designer of the mini golf course said: "This'll Do" in his Scottish brogue...
Thistle Dhu
@theflatsticker

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 01:54:39 AM »

http://www.terrastories.com/bearings/miniature-golf

"In 1916, James Barber of Pinehurst, North Carolina, designed Thistle Dhu, the first quintessential miniature golf course. Word has it, that after having seen his finished course, Barber declared to his designer “This’ll do!” and an American icon was born (Margolies 14). The plan of Barber’s Thistle Dhu was as much Classical as the Par-3 was Romantic. The plan resembles the preeminent source of neo-classical landscape design, the Tuileries Garden at the Louvre. Geometric shapes are coupled with symmetric walkways, fountains, and planters."
@theflatsticker

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »
Who DID build this?  I've looked at two or three articles that have many references to the old mini-golf green, but I haven't seen anything which names the designer or builder.

I built a similar green (even wilder, actually) at High Pointe, but the owners did not understand it.  When Rick Smith from Treetops visited that first fall, he told them they should just charge 10% of the [betting] action and they'd make a fortune, but they were there that day to discuss reducing its size and scope.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 09:17:09 AM »
Who DID build this?  I've looked at two or three articles that have many references to the old mini-golf green, but I haven't seen anything which names the designer or builder.

From Golf.com:

Thistle Dhu was built by Toby Cobb and Dave Axland, associates of Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw

http://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/pinehurst-resort-putting-course-thistle-dhu-debuts

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JR Potts

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »
We need a mini one of these at my course.

Hint, hint.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »
Who DID build this?  I've looked at two or three articles that have many references to the old mini-golf green, but I haven't seen anything which names the designer or builder.

From Golf.com:

Thistle Dhu was built by Toby Cobb and Dave Axland, associates of Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw

http://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/pinehurst-resort-putting-course-thistle-dhu-debuts

Thanks, Howard.  I figured it was probably some of Bill's guys, but didn't want to assume that and then find out it was by some young local architect instead.  They need a better publicist ... perhaps you should call them.

Toby has actually worked with us as well as with Bill ... he was the project manager for the second course at Stonewall, and for Sebonack.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 09:57:24 AM »
Again, Pinehurst shows they "get" it.

Really cool!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 11:01:10 AM »
Thistle Dhu looks awesome; an American Himalayas.

But I'm a bit confused here; I'd always thought the so-called Lilliputian Golf Course at Pinehurst (I believe there are pictures in either the Pinehurst main clubhouse, the Carolina Hotel or both) was the first mini-golf course. It more closely resembled what we now know as mini-golf, but with grass greens weaving in and out of trees, with little wee bunkers and all that fun stuff. No?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »
There was an Alps inspired putting course in front of the original Pine Needles Inn back in the day as well.

Chris, I don't mean to thread jack, but is this the bldg behind #2 tee at Pine Needles and is now used for a different purpose or just similar in appearance? If it's the same one, why the change?
Just curious, Bruce

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »
The wife and I gave it a try the other day.  It really is alot of fun!  I'm actually surprised more resorts don't do this.  It gets alot of families out on the practice area together.

It is a wonderful feature, especially at a resort. Kapalua has a putting course, which I've enjoyed with non-golfing family members a couple of times. Wish it were more common.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 01:15:33 PM »
How much time do you spend on such a putting course?

Is it necessary to have 18 holes?

John McCarthy

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 01:42:59 PM »
Do they always use the same hole location or do they move them around?  If anyone knows...
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

hhuffines

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »
Bruce, that building is now a retirement home.  Chris knows much more but the routing was switched slightly at some point and Pine Needles built a new lodge adjacent to the 18th green.  I played there 2 weeks ago and it was really good.  Conditions should be perfect now...

Mac, I could tell the Pinehurst folks were "getting it" last year when I played behind their management team at Dormie.  Great changes and I hope many more to come, especially with No. 9.  Hart

Howard Riefs

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »

Thanks, Howard.  I figured it was probably some of Bill's guys, but didn't want to assume that and then find out it was by some young local architect instead.  They need a better publicist ... perhaps you should call them.

Shucks. Thanks, Tom.

Chris Buie

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 09:00:02 PM »
Chris, I don't mean to thread jack, but is this the bldg behind #2 tee at Pine Needles and is now used for a different purpose or just similar in appearance? If it's the same one, why the change?

Hey Bruce, the Tufts (with a few other investors) built the course and the inn not long before the depression. The building was supposed to be a 5 star hotel. The building and the course certainly met that quality level. Due to financial stress both were sold to a group of businessmen in 1935. The Air Force took it over during WWII. After the war the building was sold to the Catholic Diocese of Raleigh and functioned as a kind of hospital - geriatric care mainly I think. Luckily the course was sold to the Bell family. And it has stayed that way since then with the church maintaining the building for pretty much the same purpose and the Bell family continuing to be the exemplary custodians they have been for all these years. Since a new clubhouse was needed the Bells built one at the bottom of the hill behind the first green - which is now the 18th green. The original 2nd hole is now the opening hole.
Tim, you are right. The original was more like a putt putt course than an alps. I had a picture of it somewhere or other but can't seem to find it right now.
BTW, I got out to Thistle Dhu today and it really is great fun. I don't think I've ever heard that much laughter on a golf course before. The 18 hole course is located where the red x is. We took several photos which I'll post when I get copies.
John they do move the holes around.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 11:29:54 PM »
Thank you for the information Chris.
That explains it. It is a great looking building.

Chris Buie

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 03:05:31 PM »
A proper photographer will have a field day out there. Until then these will have to suffice.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back