News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Native grasses come into their own at Pasatiempo
« on: August 30, 2012, 10:04:54 AM »
I discovered Pasatiempo many years ago while playing golf on the Nintendo Wii, of all places.

As soon as I worked out it was an actual golf course I was keen to play the real thing and when I discovered the special place it occupies in the career and life of Alister MacKenzie it became a life goal to visit.

So bright and early on the last day of my recent visit to the US I arrived at least two hours ahead of my 10am tee time and walked the back nine in solitude before meeting my playing partners.

Those who know me are aware that moments of speechlessness are few and far between, but almost the entire way around, walking through the dew with only a couple of grounds crew around, I was genuinely in shock. I sat on the bench by the ladies' 11th tee for 10 or 15 minutes just watching the hole, in disbelief.

A similar situation followed standing in the 16th fairway, watching the flashed face dwarf the greenkeeper raking the front bunker, accentuating the indescribable scale of that entire green complex.

I had been imagining those holes via photos and stories for years, building the place up in my mind, and yet somehow I had not even come close in my wildest dreams to the reality of how special it felt and how unique the holes were. I couldn't wait to actually play them.

It was explained to me later that the native grasses you willl see in the below pictures are a new addition to the course. I am unable to compare first-hand to the course with wall-to-wall green grass, just as I am unable to compare pre- and post-renovation, but referring to pictures I am extremely impressed by what is on the ground right now in both respects.

It is obvious from viewing these pre- and post-renovation pictures that Jim Urbina, Tom Doak and the rest of those involved at Renaissance Golf Design did a spectacular job recapturing the grandeur of the course and the boldness of the bunkering. They seem to have a knack for recreating the spirit of MacKenzie, both here and at The Valley Club. You must really need a stack of confidence and self-belief to build bunkers like that.

Now, comparing what I saw to prior pictures (like the "after" shots in the above link or even these pictures by Jim Johnson from May), it appears that the native grass areas achieve three great things: 1. they frame the holes beautifully, 2. they add to the aesthetic and atmosphere of the bold land and architecture, and 3. they greatly reduce the club's need for water.

I really hope the below pictures will do justice to a remarkable golf course that every one of you should make it a priority to play.

The lengthy par four 2nd, begging for a brave drive down the right to open up the best angle to a green that hides the extent of its slopes extremely well, sliding off the hill from back right to front left.

The long (~230-yard) par three 3rd. David Kelly says it's the hardest par three without water or OOB that he has ever played. I am inclined to agree. For the first of many times during the round, I was reminded of Royal Melbourne (West) when I looked at this hole.

The par four 4th is such a clever hole, the fairway increasingly sloping left the further to that side you err. In combination with that, the bunkers short and left of the green play a huge part of making this hole a highlight of an extremely strong starting stretch.

Another great long par three with a wild green (the 5th). I can see how Pasatiempo with the greens running too fast would be exasperating and I understand that has not been uncommon in recent years. I am pleased that I didn't encounter such conditions and was told the club has made a conscious effort to slow them down of late.

The 7th green viewed from short left. This particularly screamed "Royal Melbourne" to me. I have not come across another architect whose greens and surrounds are so artistic as MacKenzie's. A shame trees (for safety) must compromise this hole so greatly, because it could be a fantastic short four without them.

A real feature of the front nine is the majestic internal vistas (as opposed to those out over Monterey Bay - also wonderful) you get standing on the 5th and 8th tees. This is a hell of a fun green for putting and recovery shots, though one that I can see being infuriating at too high a speed.

One of the things I love about Northern California is the light. It's hard to explain, but Northern California and Northern Scotland both have a tremendously rich, golden light that I haven't experienced elsewhere and, far more than other locales, watching a golf course change its appearance as the day unfolds in Norcal or the Scottish highlands is something really special. I hope my morning and afternoon pics of 11, 16 and 18 might illustrate that somewhat.

The 11th is in rare air among the best long par fours I have played -- the perfect amount uphill, the barranca at a perfect angle and distance from the tee, the steep green worthy of all that comes before it. A hole that really does defy description and must been seen in the flesh.

I liked the simple strategy of the 12th -- an example of the milder holes on the course not trying too hard to compete with the showstoppers and adding something to the course in an understated way. Easy after the long 10th and 11th to want to bomb your drive close to the green, but with such a delicate approach from down there, perhaps some restraint and playing to the right about 140 yards out is wiser.

The 13th is another hole that sits on flatter land, but is fun for its smart bunkering. And with the drama that bookends this stretch, it's quite pleasant respite at 12 and 13.

The 14th is a perfect hole for such an unconventional golf course and unique piece of land. The barranca extends into the fairway at driving distance, providing a short grass hazard of sorts that makes for a one-of-a-kind approach shot if you fail to keep your ball on high ground, with the green oriented towards that side of the fairway.

The 15th continues the quality of the par threes, this one much shorter than the first three, but with plenty of trouble if you don't find the angled green.

The 16th green and its approach rightfully steal most discussion when it comes to this hole, but it's also a fantastic driving hole. Line is crucial to the angled hogsback fairway. This shows the bold shape of the fairway (with the green just visible near the trees), followed by THAT green. The scale really is something else and a photo cannot do it justice.

The 18th is a perfect way to end such an out-of-the-box golf course. Par three 18th holes are rare beasts - but I am sure there isn't another that rivals this one for interest and drama, the green sliding severely into the barranca and the bunkering accentuating what steep land this is.

It was all over far too soon, despite spending the best part of seven hours on the course walking and then playing, but I wasn't too sad to drive out the car park and pass the 2nd and 4th one last time on the way out. Because it's not a case of if I will be back, just a question of how soon and how regularly.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:13:07 AM by Scott Warren »

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Native grasses come into their own at Pasatiempo
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:23:02 AM »
Wow.

My buddy, George Waters (who worked on the bunkers with Doak and Urbina) was telling me about these 'new' native roughs at Pasatiempo a few weeks ago. He was very positive about it. Now that I've seen Scott's photos (thanks!) I am too!

What a brilliant look. The contrast between the maintained turf, the bunkers, and now the native roughs... awesome. Great work. 

jeffmingay.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for posting those pics.  Brings back some great memories, and I agree with Jeff, Pasa really is a "Wow" kind of place.

Can't wait to get back, hopefully sooner than later.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »
Top notch photos and commentary.

You are right, the picture with the guy raking the trap is trerrific because it shows how massive that bunker complex is.

I'm torn on the native grasses. I think the bunkers would stand-out even more against an all-green backdrop. And the course looks a little scruffy with the current native grass. But water and maintenance wise it's the right thing to do...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »
It's not just the right thing to do, it's the only thing they're allowed to do now -- the county told them they couldn't have as much water as they used to put out there.

Scott, thanks for posting all these pictures.  I haven't been back there for three years so I hadn't seen the new look of the place.  It looks terrific.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
Great photos, Scott. You didn't tell me about having already played the course on the Wii.

I really like the look of the course as these native grasses have grown in. 

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »
Scott,

Good stuff.

We might add how the tree management program is also making a nice difference.  Just look at 16 now.  The "Line Of Charm" is coming through big time now.  The line of instinct is more towards the green with the green in sight, but the better tee shot is to hang out to the right and away from the hole.  I've seen more folks aim their tee shot towards the green than before now and they're usually in for a big surprise.

Likewise, the corridor between the 6th and 7th has often been criticized.  But the tree management has improved things.

I commend the staff at Pasatiempo for these measures.

The one big concern I have regards the barranca clearing.  Did the goats do too good a job?  There's some obvious erosion going on (e.g. 18th / 17th) and the winter rains can really impact things.  Personally, I feel the clearing makes a significant difference in the intimidation factor.  The barrancas really stand out now whereas before they blended almost too well with the fairways to demand enough respect.

I don't see anything for the 17th in photos, but that in my opinion is one of the most improved greens.  The stretched out green really plays havoc with depth perception.  The tee shot is meh, but the approach is pretty solid.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:14:03 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »
Scott, do you agree with me that the back nine at Pasatiempo is the best back nine in golf?

I suppose Augusta National and The Old Course might get a mention....... ;D

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
Great pictures, thanks for sharing them. Not sure what time of year you played, but the native grasses are much more abundant and visually striking after the winter rains.

The extended 17th green is so long now, I asked a playing partner to laser my putt distance (41 yards) to a front pin when I was all the way back. Such a blast.

David Davis

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 02:20:05 PM »
Scott, nice photos and comments. Did the Wii provide you with an unfair advantage? Were you able to utilize the same strategy in your playing of the course? Ok honestly, I don't care as I don't have a Wii but the questions do seem relevant.

I played last year, like you, I loved it. Played pretty bad but still had a great time. Made some huge mistakes because I'm not good at reading the darn course guides. Off hand, double crosses my fade tee shot on # 2 into someones yard left of the dogleg right. Pulling my tee shot on 3 leaving a steep downhill angled stance to chip out of rough to a tough front pin position. Driving the ball over the fairway and into the gully on 11 which had visually tricked me into thinking it was much too far for me to reach if I lined up right of the bridge. Guess a 3 wood would of worked better and finally making a mess of 16 by taking far to tight a line to the left side. Says enough if I can still remember it.

Visually and architecturally a wonderful experience. I recommend sitting out side up at the restaurant and finishing off your day.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Dan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 02:20:19 PM »
Another great long par three with a wild green (the 5th). I can see how Pasatiempo with the greens running too fast would be exasperating and I understand that has not been uncommon in recent years. I am pleased that I didn't encounter such conditions and was told the club has made a conscious effort to slow them down of late.

I was at Pasatiempo on the 19th of August, for a wedding (my nephew's) at the Hollins House. Didn't get a chance to play or even tour the golf course, but did stop, en route from the car, to watch some play on this hole -- and to direct my daughter's attention to what I'm sure I called a "wild green."

Glad to hear I was right!

Wish the trip had included time for golf. Next time!

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 07:34:07 PM »
I was remiss in my first post not mentioning that a huge part of me enjoying the course so greatly was having an absolute legend of a host-cum-tour guide who showed me a thousand things of interest and told me a bunch I'd never have otherwise known about the history of the course. And a great bloke, who lives in Marion Hollins' old house. How cool is that?!

Dan Kelly,

Small world -- the day I played was also August 19th. Beautiful day for a wedding up on the hill there. Incredible views.

Bill McB,

It may well be the best nine-hole stretch I have played. Certainly one of the most thrilling and straight-up fun - along with the front nines at Barnbougle Dunes, Fishers Island and National Golf Links.

John,

It was a long time ago, so I remembered very little of the course from playing it on the Wii. Obviously I knew about 8, 11, 16, 18 and other bits and pieces from reading about the course and looking at reviews, but while I have a great memory, I am pretty good at forgetting what's coming when I actually play a course for the first time, so I still get surprised by things I knew to expect - if that makes any sense.

If I ever play CPC I'll probably walk around the corner at 16 and think "wow, what's this, then?!" ;D

Patrick,

The last few holes I was grinding to keep my good round going, so the pictures were fewer on those, and I didn't take a single one of the 17th, unfortunately.

One of the reasons I came early was so I could take pics of the back nine up front and just enjoy playing it without a camera in hand later on, but then it's just so beautiful out there that I couldn't resist taking a heap more as we played.

But that is indeed a great green at 17. I was centre left to a back right pin and it was one of the toughest putts I faced on my entire trip.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 08:54:50 PM »
Tom Doak (or anyone else):

What are the soils like there, at Pasatiempo? And, what species of 'native grasses' are staying so sparse and beautiful as seen in these photos?
jeffmingay.com

Dan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 09:46:52 PM »

Dan Kelly,

Small world -- the day I played was also August 19th. Beautiful day for a wedding up on the hill there. Incredible views.

Scott --

I got the impression that there are a lot of beautiful days there, and a perpetually beautiful view. But if the days and the views get any better than that one, I'd be surprised.

Throughout the wedding service, from about 3:30 to 4, guys were teeing off just below, down on the 1st tee. "Do you, Patrick..." -- click -- "take Jen to be your lawfully wedded wife..." -- click -- "to have and to hold, in good times and bad..." -- click ...

I must confess that every time I heard the sound of club hitting ball, I looked down to see the shot. Most were into the right rough. A few, left rough. Even fewer, in the fairway.

During the reception, I was just about to go down to the pro shop and explain my situation -- and ask if I might borrow a putter, to just go putt a few on the practice green, if you don't mind. The balls were stacked there, in pretty little pyramids.

But my wife, hearing of my scheme a-borning, suggested that some people (meaning, well, you know) might find it a little rude (meaning: very rude) of me to wander off down to the golf course ... so i stayed where I belonged, and chitchatted with the best of them!

Dan

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 11:11:38 PM »
Cool
It looks like and oasis in the California Desert

I'll guess that if you knew the future water constraints it would have turned out even better
For example, less detail bunker work on the outside edges
Increase the fairways a tiny bit, by spreading out the bunkers a smidge

I'd get rid of all green grass outside the perimeter bunkers

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:51:24 AM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 11:15:33 PM »

Scott your course travel itinerary is the envy of many.

The native grasses look very good.

I am always amazed to see the sand in such good condition in those bunkers. Anyone know what method has been used to stabilize the faces?
Or is it a case of ongoing and dedicated maintenance…
The sand at the front of 18 almost defies gravity.

Thanks, Lyne

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 11:23:10 PM »
Mike N,

I walked away feeling that if the club embraces the look permanently (and from what Tom D says maybe they have to) there are areas such as right and long of the 13th green and perhaps more in between 2 and 3 where they could well expand that native area and it would look magnificent.

I had to laugh, right of 14 one house has a dead lawn, which gives the impression of the native transitioning right from the light rough all the way to their back door!

Lyne,

I definitely do alright for myself. This time around my wife sent me on my own for two solid weeks of golf. It was a fortunate leave pass to receive (I was assured by many blokes I played with that their wife isn't in the business of such generousity!). And I've a few threads left to start from my most recent trip...

Mike McGuire

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 11:33:37 PM »
Scott,

Good stuff.

We might add how the tree management program is also making a nice difference.  Just look at 16 now.  The "Line Of Charm" is coming through big time now.  The line of instinct is more towards the green with the green in sight, but the better tee shot is to hang out to the right and away from the hole.  I've seen more folks aim their tee shot towards the green than before now and they're usually in for a big surprise.

Likewise, the corridor between the 6th and 7th has often been criticized.  But the tree management has improved things.

Love the fescue  but Wow. How treed up was it before?

Keep taking them out.

David Kelly

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 11:55:35 PM »
I definitely do alright for myself.
Tell them how we had to talk you into playing there instead of taking a walk on the beach or walking around San Francisco or whatever you had in mind. :-)

BTW, I think the native was planted with little plugs.  At least is was on 12 which was the first hole on which I noticed they were transitioning the grasses.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 12:05:57 AM »
David: The major issue when we discussed this over Wendy's in North Platte was that waiting until after the member tee times would have meant a crazy dash to make my flight home to Australia (which my wife was particularly keen for me to do successfully). For many reasons, it's awesome that that particular issue was overcome and I was able to play.

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 07:08:04 AM »
Scott

I really enjoyed the tour.  Along with CPC and Cal Club, these are the three I want to see in California.  While I still can't adjust my eyes to the all the sand, I absolutely love the 14th.  Do you (or anybody) have a pic of the green?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Scott Warren

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »
Thanks, Sean. I'd bet a month's salary that you would also really, really enjoy The Valley Club. It is right up your alley.

No pic of the 14th green, sorry.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:57:17 AM by Scott Warren »

Pete Balzer

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »
Scott - Thanks for the tour- you've got me even more pumped up for my upcoming trip to pasa and cypress.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 10:41:54 AM »
Great pics, Scott and well Done Tom D. et. al.

That look reminds me of Stanford in the 1960's in the late summer/early fall, and it is much better than the old Pasa look I remember from 1985-2005 or so.  Now if only Pebble and Cypress would go with the native grasses and minimum hydration......

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mike Benham

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 11:24:49 AM »

... but did stop, en route from the car, to watch some play on this hole --

Dan - Where the hell did you have to park?  This is the 5th hole, quite a hike back to Hollins House, I thought you would at least spring for valet parking ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back