News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Hawaii golf, a retrospective
« on: August 23, 2012, 02:55:32 PM »
I have spent some time in Hawaii the last couple of years and thought I’d compile a list with some thoughts about the courses I’ve played. This isn’t necessarily a list of the architecturally best courses but of the courses I enjoy playing the most.  Golf in Hawaii is about the total experience.  Beauty is certainly one of the components.  The best courses. however, also requires some strategy and execution.
So, here it is.
1   Prince I love this course.  It is one of those courses that has as many who hate it as love it.  It is nothing short of spectacular.  The beauty mesmerizes.  The first time I played it my back tightened up so much I not only couldn’t play I couldn’t ride in the cart.  I told my wife that I think we should go in.  Her reply was, “Tough it out I a not quitting.”  I understood. We replayed it a few hours later after I took about 37 Advil.   It is as hard as drill sergeant’s heart but I enjoyed the challenge.
2   Mauna Kea  The quality of this course surprised me.  I knew about the third hole.  But a bunch of courses have a similar hole.  What surprised me was the quality of the rest of the course.  I loved the elevation changes, the beauty, and the greens complexes.  I could play it every day.
3  Kapalua Plantation I have played the Plantation three times.  I enjoy the course more each time.  The first time around you are not quite certain where to hit some of the tee shots. After I played it I thought, “What’s the big deal?” The third time I understood. It is one of the most fun courses on the islands but it takes a little time to understand the course. I hit some of my longest drives ever.
4  Kuki’o For some reason the Big Island has some of the more private clubs in Hawaii. I didn’t get to Nanea, but Kuki’o is pretty special. Very Fazio and very good.   It also has a 10 hole short course that I didn’t play.
5 Hokulia  Hokulia is south of the other high end private clubs and is not as solvent as the others.  Too bad, because it is a special course.  The par fours are really strong and the course sits on the side of a hill so the views are absolutely stunning.  After the round we sat in their little outdoor dining area and watched the sunset.  The entire day was memorable.  If I lived there I would join in a heartbeat.
6   Challenge at Manele  Manele, on Lanaii, is also built on the side of a hill that has ocean views on most of the holes.  The par fives are really strong and the par three 12th and the par four 17th are as theatrical as any holes can be.  I have played Manele four times over the years and like the Plantation course I appreciate the entire course more each time I play it.
7  King Kamehameha  This is the only 18 hole private club on Maui.  It is perched on the edge of one of the West Maui Mountains, Mauna Kahalawai, with bi-coastal views. The course is at an elevation of about 750 feet. The wind always blows and is one of the features of the course. It is possible and essential to play along the ground on many of the holes.  The views of the mountain and ocean set this course apart.  The 70,000 square foot clubhouse, based on a design by Frank Lloyd Wright, however,  is way over the top.  This course was a total surprise, because I virtually knew nothing about it.  The golf is very good and the experience is worth the trip.
8  Wailea Gold This is a golfer’s course.  While it is in a resort the course feels as though you are away from the madding crowd.  Bring you’re “A” game.  The course looks like it should be easy to score on, but it requires good execution on the shots into the green.  I really like this course.  RTJ Jr. did a wonderful job building a resort course that is playable for everyone but demanding for the low handicapper.
9  Makena (North)  10  Makena (South) NLE I had played the North course about six years ago and it was in pristine condition. Times have been tough for Makena.  The South Course tried to go private but closed.  Only a few holes by the ocean are being maintained at all. Like the Gold course this is a player’s course.  Even though the conditioning was spotty the bones of the course are evident.  I hope it survives.  There are rumors about Discovery Land Co. purchasing the resort and reopening the South Course.  Hope it happens because they are very good courses.
11 Hapuna I almost didn’t play this course because I knew nothing about it.  My wife and I liked it so much that we played it twice.  It is the sister course of Mauna Kea and is a Palmer design.  It is away from the ocean but has ocean views because it is one the side of a mt.  It puts a premium on driving and is very windy.  It played hard and the wind made the course difficult.  It made me think all the way around.
12  Kauai lagoons  I have not played this course since it was redesigned. I probably have it a little high on my list but enjoyed the round and the day I spent there.
13  Wailea Emerald  This is the charming little sister of the Gold Course.  It is fun for the low handicapper and very playable for the high handicapper.  It has wide corridors and large greens and one of my wife’s favorite on Maui.  Like the Gold, the player feels isolated from the resort.  Generally I am not crazy about plantings on a course, but the flora on this course is pretty impressive and helps make the round enjoyable.
14  Experience at Koele I like this course, partly because it is so very different from any of the other Hawaiian courses and partly because it is fun with a bunch of risk reward shots.   The most famous hole is 17 that plunges a couple hundred feet from tee to fairway.  The back nine is about 2000 feet above sea level and is forested with trees that you would expect to find on any mainland mountain course.  I first played this course about five years ago.  It was perfectly conditioned.  I couldn’t believe the difference a few years make.  The fairways were thin and grass non-existent in places, the bunkers lacked sand, and the greens were bumpy.  I hope the new owner spends a few buck on the course.  It isn’t a great course but coupled with Manele it is a great way to spend a day.
15 Royal Kaanapali This course suffers because it is just down the road from the Plantation Course.  The first six holes seem like they are on flat uninteresting ground.  Looks deceive. This a pretty difficult course with very large greens.  I lacks some of the beauty of other courses but is a strong test.  The 18th hole may be one of the best holes on the island.
16  Big Island CC This course has fallen on hard times.  It is Perry Dye design with the perfunctory island green.  I have to say, though, that I really enjoyed the course.  It is away form the ocean and sits at about 2000 feet above sea level.  It is very different from most of the Big Island courses.  I enjoyed the course but did not find it architecturally compelling. The 18th hole, though, is a pretty good way to finish.
17  Kahili GC  This is the public sister of King Kam. It lacks some of the dramatic beauty of King Kam but is very good nonetheless.  It is well bunkered and  meanders through some very interesting terrain.  At less than $100 it is one of the better bargains on Maui.
18  Mauna Lani South  
    19 Mauna Lani North
Both courses were a disappointment.  I found the terrain uninteresting and except for the famed par three 15th on the South Course both courses lack some character.
20  Kapalua Bay  I like this course.  I have played it twice.  I really enjoyed it the first time but the second time it left me wanting more than it gives.  The course just didn’t deliver what it could have. It is built on some very interesting ground.  It is close to being very good but in its present form misses the mark.
21 Kaanapali Kai  This course isn’t in the higher echelon of Hawaii golf but it is great fun.  The day I played it the wind howled and I had to hit some extraordinary shots into the smallish greens.  I did something here I had never done before—I made18 straight pars.
22  Waimea GC  As my wife and I drove around the island we would drive past this course.  We thought let’s play it.  I have to say I enjoyed the round and it has some very good holes.  The conditioning was not very good but I would play it again.  I would like to see it with the ponds full of water and the greens with grass on it.  It has the bones of a pretty good test.  The terrain is very interesting and plays both uphill, downhill, and across the hills, making for some demanding shots.
23  Hualalai Nicklaus  This is my biggest disappointment in Hawaii.  The seniors play and event here and I looked forward to playing it.  It is just dreadful.  Nicklaus should give his fee back.  The terrain is ok but the design couldn’t be worse.  Nicklaus left big outcroppings of lava and called playing around them strategy.  There is no strategy required.  After 6 holes I couldn’t wait to be done. Even the par three 17th, which is along the water, is boring.  18 may be the best hole on the course. But that is only compared to the other boring holes.
24  Makai Not sure why this course is rated among Hawaii’s best.  I found it dull at best.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:40:56 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Lance Rieber

Re: Hawaii golf, a retrospective
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:45:56 PM »
Tommy
You have definitely played more of the islands than I. I have only played the big island courses.
I would rank them in this order:
1. Nanea. Incredible place and super solid course. Great "experience" but matched by the course I feel.
Tie 2. Hokulia and Mauna Kea. I really like Hokulia, very strategic with interesting greens(9,8,7,) among others. Great place to relax and was never remotely crowded. Hopefully new owners? have helped out. Mauna Kea does have some really good par 3s.  Bit beyond that is some fun Trent jones sr greens.
3  hualalai   I think it has some good holes including 7,9,10 but not something you haven't seen before.
4. Hapuna. This was hard to determine because the wind was a minimum 40 with gusts to 50+. I think there were some fun holes but don't remember much
5. Kings.  I was disappointed in the greens. Super slow and made it very boring for the day. I thought there was some decent holes. It was a little dissatisfied with it. Had better expectations from the other weiskopf courses I had played
6. Mauna Lani South. Actually like the par 3 on the front #7 better than 15. Other than that was expecting  more

7  Makalei. On the side of the hill. Very steep ok greens with bent grass. Was pretty foggy when we played

Playing in Hawaii is great.  I think the part of being on vacation makes it seem so much better.

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 06:34:57 PM »
The only place I have been allowed to walk in Hawaii is Hualalia,but I have not played all the ones you mention?Any of them let a walker and especially a push cart play?Agree that Walea Gold is a challenging course.It is as long playing a resort as I have seen.I played it 5 straight days a year ago and still haven't hit the long par 4 on the back in regulation.Mauna Kea had too many uphill approaches to be really fun to me but it certainly didn't feel like the open lava fields down the way.Hapuna was a surprise to me as well.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 06:51:49 PM »
The only place I have been allowed to walk in Hawaii is Hualalia,but I have not played all the ones you mention?Any of them let a walker and especially a push cart play?Agree that Walea Gold is a challenging course.It is as long playing a resort as I have seen.I played it 5 straight days a year ago and still haven't hit the long par 4 on the back in regulation.Mauna Kea had too many uphill approaches to be really fun to me but it certainly didn't feel like the open lava fields down the way.Hapuna was a surprise to me as well.

Mike, I never really asked about walking.  My wife always takes a cart so she ferried my clubs around and I walked.  I never saw anyone walking and carrying, however. 
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 07:13:29 PM »
I go less frequently to Hawaii because a lot of the places and I am focusing on Walea charged my wife 25 dollars to ride with me.She doesn't play but likes to walk the course as do I.Since there is no walking they had to count her as a rider and charge me.I guess they don't need the many green fees I have and would pay.Being nickled and dimed and 25 dollared ruins the fun.Makes you appreciate resorts that while expensive don't knife you and treat you like an idiot.Sorry for the diversion.

Richard Choi

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 07:20:11 PM »
I put Kapalua Plantation in a tier all by itself when it comes to golfing in Hawaii. I have not played as many courses as Tommy, but I found Kapalua to be significantly better than Mauna Kea or Grand Wailea Gold. I thoroughly enjoyed Manele and probably would put that course above Mauna Kea and Grand Wailea as well.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 07:38:56 PM »
I go less frequently to Hawaii because a lot of the places and I am focusing on Walea charged my wife 25 dollars to ride with me.She doesn't play but likes to walk the course as do I.Since there is no walking they had to count her as a rider and charge me.I guess they don't need the many green fees I have and would pay.Being nickled and dimed and 25 dollared ruins the fun.Makes you appreciate resorts that while expensive don't knife you and treat you like an idiot.Sorry for the diversion.

I don't know why resorts do this.  I certainly would help ruin my day.  As much play as Wailea gets they don't need to charge walkers.
St. John of the Cross

Mark Johnson

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 08:38:21 PM »
finally someone else who loves the prince course.     one thing you didn't mention is that I think it has the best opening hole in all of golf

re: kauai lagoons, my biggest issue there is that it seems like a few different golf courses.  That said, it has some of the 3 or 4 best holes in Hawaii.   The 16th is one of my all time favorite short par 4s.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:57:28 PM »
finally someone else who loves the prince course.     one thing you didn't mention is that I think it has the best opening hole in all of golf

re: kauai lagoons, my biggest issue there is that it seems like a few different golf courses.  That said, it has some of the 3 or 4 best holes in Hawaii.   The 16th is one of my all time favorite short par 4s.

Mark, I actually hit five or six balls on the first hole trying to figure out the best way to play the hole.  Never did quite get it right.  It is a very stout start.  I agree that the 16th hole at Kauai is a real corker.  I hit it on the fringe and made an easy three.  The next time I play it I just think I will skip it and go to 17.
St. John of the Cross

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 10:29:15 PM »
I have been to the four major islands but did not play golf on the Big Island so I do not have much overlap with Tommy's list.  Here is how I would rank the courses I have played:

1.  Kapalua Plantation - be warned however that the course will beat most people up.  It is tough.  Doak 8

2.  Waialae Country Club - pretty pedestrian course but a beautiful location and it is fun playing a course you see on television - Doak 5

3.  Kapalua Bay - Tommy's description seems about right but I suspect the row of houses on the ocean are what spoils the flow of the place.  I imagine one or two of the houses is worth as much as the course so I cannot begrudge that decision.  Doak 5

4.  Poipu Bay - fantastic resort.  Course would fit in as a reasonable muni in another location.  Doak 4

5.  Kaanapali - thought it was pretty mundane - Doak 4

6.  Royal Hawaiian - many shortcomings but jungle experience makes this worth a visit in a bad movie sort of way - Doak 4, some would call it a 0.

7.  Turtle Bay - Fazio - so playable it is boring.  Doak 3

8.  Olomana Golf Links - I enjoyed the place but not because it is a high quality course - Doak 2

In short - I see Hawaii as a vacation destination rather than a golf destination.  If on vacation however, it is a great place to work on your game because of the wind and the bermuda.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:53:53 AM by Jason Topp »

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 12:08:35 AM »

22  Waimea GC  As my wife and I drove around the island we would drive past this course.  We p thought let’s play it.  I have to say I enjoyed the round and it has some very good holes.  The conditioning was not very good but I would play it again.  I would like to see it with the ponds full of water and the greens with grass on it.  It has the bones of a pretty good test.  The terrain is very interesting and plays both uphill, downhill, and across the hills, making for some demanding shots.

Wanted to play there last December, but there was never a day dry enough up in the hills to even consider it.

It has since closed: http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections/news/local-news/waimea-country-club-closes.html

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 12:09:12 AM »
Sad that Wailea Old Blue does not make the list. Happens a lot. Old Blue was Jack Snyder's contribution to the Islands. For a long while he was the only architect to have designed six courses in Hawaii. Old Blue is a graceful, flowing layout. It is a 1970s motif...which, unfortunately, is not "in" among GCA-ers. Speed ahead 40 years and we will probably see GCA-ers "gaga" over the 1970s look and feel   :)

Also sad is no mention of Volcano Golf & CC. One of the true classic (rough and pesky...yes) layouts in the Islands. Also, Maui CC...a 9-hole throw-back.

Hawaii golf is not stellar compared to what it COULD be. I put it on par with Scottsdale. Great location and terrain (and views)...but far and few between in terms of really, really good golf. Yet, Hawaii does have its quirks and, as Tommy points out, some very decent offerings despite this general stereotype.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Kirk Gill

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 12:17:46 AM »
Thanks for this thread, Tommy. Timely for me, as our family heads to Maui this fall. My middle son (13) and I are going to get a round in somewhere. I appreciate the insight!
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 12:25:29 AM »
Sad that Wailea Old Blue does not make the list. Happens a lot. Old Blue was Jack Snyder's contribution to the Islands. For a long while he was the only architect to have designed six courses in Hawaii. Old Blue is a graceful, flowing layout. It is a 1970s motif...which, unfortunately, is not "in" among GCA-ers. Speed ahead 40 years and we will probably see GCA-ers "gaga" over the 1970s look and feel   :)

Also sad is no mention of Volcano Golf & CC. One of the true classic (rough and pesky...yes) layouts in the Islands. Also, Maui CC...a 9-hole throw-back.

Hawaii golf is not stellar compared to what it COULD be. I put it on par with Scottsdale. Great location and terrain (and views)...but far and few between in terms of really, really good golf. Yet, Hawaii does have its quirks and, as Tommy points out, some very decent offerings despite this general stereotype.
Forrest, I actually stopped by Volcano GC after we had been to the Park.  I was wanting to play but they had some local event there. I did walk a couple of the holes. It looked interesting but not enough to warrant the long drive back. I also dropped in at a course between there and Mauna Lani, where we were staying. I can't remember its name though. It looked anything but interesting.
St. John of the Cross

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 12:41:19 AM »
You may have mentioned it,but what is the course a thousand feet or so up from the Kona airport.I played it years ago and it had cool weather grasses.Watching the jets land on the coast below was worth the whole thing.They were in a portable clubhouse and not sure if they built a new one,etc.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 01:16:01 AM »
tommy,

have you had a chance to play kukuiula yet?

David Kelly

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 01:21:58 AM »
Old Blue is a graceful, flowing layout. It is a 1970s motif...which, unfortunately, is not "in" among GCA-ers. Speed ahead 40 years and we will probably see GCA-ers "gaga" over the 1970s look and feel   :)

So you think people's love of golden age golf courses is just some kind of a whim or trend?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Alex Miller

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 01:35:02 AM »
A couple of courses that would make your top 5 and top 20 respectively might be Turtle Bay (Palmer) and Ko'Olau.

I might be higher on Ko'Olau than most, but it's adventure golf, and adventure golf in a jungle. Maybe the qualifier for it is that single digit handicaps are really the only ones that might like it that much.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 06:02:30 AM »
You may have mentioned it,but what is the course a thousand feet or so up from the Kona airport.I played it years ago and it had cool weather grasses.Watching the jets land on the coast below was worth the whole thing.They were in a portable clubhouse and not sure if they built a new one,etc.
Its Makalei. A mountain course if there ever was one. Up and down all day.
Be the ball

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 06:04:17 AM »

Forrest, I actually stopped by Volcano GC after we had been to the Park.  I was wanting to play but they had some local event there. I did walk a couple of the holes. It looked interesting but not enough to warrant the long drive back. I also dropped in at a course between there and Mauna Lani, where we were staying. I can't remember its name though. It looked anything but interesting.
Played Volcano a few years ago as part of my goal to play every course in the state. It wasn't worth the drive over.
Be the ball

Josh Tarble

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »
Can anyone go into a bit more detail on Nanea?

I've only seen pictures but it looks like a really cool course and nothing like anything I've seen from other courses in Hawaii.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 10:29:06 AM »
Its Makalei. A mountain course if there ever was one. Up and down all day.

I stopped by this course but did not play it. If you go further you will come to Big Island CC.  It also has a portable clubhouse and is also about 1000 feet up but it is not very close to the airport.
St. John of the Cross

Doug Wright

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »

I've only seen pictures but it looks like a really cool course and nothing like anything I've seen from other courses in Hawaii.

Josh,

Nanea is a very private David Kidd course owned by Charles Schwab & friends located between the airport and Mauna Lani on the Big Island. It's on a volcanic hillside so there is a bit of elevation change, though a lot of the holes play along the hill not up or down. I like the course a lot. Along with Kapalua Plantation, it's my favorite course in Hawaii. Here are a few comments I made on another Nanea thread:

Nanea is brawny, fun and scenic with tons of width and playing options. I thought Kidd used the terrain very well—much better than, say Fazio on similar hillside terrain at Red Sky Ranch in the Colorado mountains--and a number of the greensites are memorable.  The par 5s at Nanea are outstanding; the par 5 6th with a skyline green was one of the most interesting par 5s I've played anywhere due to the bunkering and fairway contouring that ended with the skyline green. The only significant drawback is that it is a very tough walk. Definitely worth playing if you can get access.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:56:40 AM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Josh Tarble

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 12:38:53 PM »
Doug
Thank you.  I certainly looks like an amazing course.  I'll have to look up a few threads to find out more about it.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 11:01:46 AM »

Josh,

Nanea is a very private David Kidd course owned by Charles Schwab & friends located between the airport and Mauna Lani on the Big Island. It's on a volcanic hillside so there is a bit of elevation change, though a lot of the holes play along the hill not up or down. I like the course a lot. Along with Kapalua Plantation, it's my favorite course in Hawaii. Here are a few comments I made on another Nanea thread:

Nanea is brawny, fun and scenic with tons of width and playing options. I thought Kidd used the terrain very well—much better than, say Fazio on similar hillside terrain at Red Sky Ranch in the Colorado mountains--and a number of the greensites are memorable.  The par 5s at Nanea are outstanding; the par 5 6th with a skyline green was one of the most interesting par 5s I've played anywhere due to the bunkering and fairway contouring that ended with the skyline green. The only significant drawback is that it is a very tough walk. Definitely worth playing if you can get access.

I have an acquaintance who is a close friend of Schwabe but hesitated calling him.  It was hard not to make the call because I really wanted to play Nanea.  I also do not like to take advantage of friends--so I didn't.  I hope I will get there at some point because the course looks pretty wonderful.
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back