News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Ralph Livingston
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:52:30 AM »
It is my understanding that Ralph has passed away.  He was a man who had a positive impact on my life and my love for the game of golf.

My thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

PCCraig

Re: Ralph Livingston
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:55:03 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about Ralph, very sad.

Thanks for letting us know Mac.
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 12:01:15 PM »
A major loss. Ralph was extremely kind and generous with his time for those who had the pleasure of speaking with him.  Anyone who has even a remote interest in hickory golf clubs and hasn't seen his book "Thomas Stewart Jr.- Golf Cleek and Iron Maker" needs to get their hands on a copy immediately as it is definitive, exhaustively researched and will no doubt become an instant collectible.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-ralph-livingston/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:05:44 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brad Klein

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »
Ralph fought a very tough fight with great determination and spirit. Few people did more in their lives to carry a cause for golf, in Ralph's case, for hickory golf. Two of the greatest moments i have ever had were playing hickories with him from matched sets that Ralph prepared for us at the old 9-hole Wawashkamo GC on Mackinac island, Michigan and at Sheep Ranch in Bandon, Oregon. Ralph opened up a whole new world of golf with his crusade for old-fashioned play. I feel sad today knowing we have lost a friend and a very loyal Golfweek rater. My condolences to his family.

Ken Fry

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »
A true gentleman.  I regret never getting another opportunity to visit with him after he drove up from Grand Rapids to be part of a GCA outing at the Kingsley Club some years ago.  His visit that weekend was the first time he'd been out of his house on his own in many months at the time due to his battle with cancer.  He said it meant a lot to him to be able to visit while the GCA group was there even if he couldn't play.

His wonderful photographs and love of Hickory Golf will endure.

Ken

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »
Too much sad news these days. 

Here's a link to Ran's Feature Interview with Ralph:  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-ralph-livingston/
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »
With every goodbye, we have a hello. Such is the way of things.

To Ralph, to Tom, to all others...thank you, Godspeed in the next world

To those left behind, time to continue the dance as these others did before us~
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 06:38:14 PM »
I was thrilled to meet Ralph purely by accident my only visit to the Kingsley Club in 2007.   He was such a gent and a kind hearted guy.  I'm very disappointed I won't get to play with him.  Another great guy and tribute to GCA and golf among gentlemen.    Our sympathy to his family. 

John Kirk

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 07:35:42 PM »
I knew Ralph a bit, and a few years ago, I played a round with Ralph at his beloved Kingsley Club.  GCA standout Matt Schulte played that day, too.  Ralph wanted to walk the course that day, and it took us almost six hours to get around the course.  I have the feeling it may have been the last time he walked his home course.  Naturally, Ralph played with a light bag of hickories, and displayed great finesse on a number of partial shots.  Ralph could play a little.

He was a very nice man.  Most here know that Ralph Livingston provided the hickory clubs for use in the movie "The Greatest Game Ever Played", which is my favorite golf movie.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 07:49:08 PM »
Oh my, this has hit me very hard. Ralph has been in my thoughts a great deal in recent weeks. We met a few years ago at the Kings Putter in the Simi Valley(Rustic Canyon). We only talked about cancer for 5 minutes. the rest was golf, golf architecture and his beloved hickories. My deepest sympathies are with you and your family and many friends. Ralph you are one of the special people I have enjoyed the pleasure of meeting in life much less through GCA or Golfweek. You and your spirit will be missed. Tiger

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »
I was out playing golf this afternoon and received an email about Ralph's passing - as soon as I got home I came right to GCA to let everyone know the sad news, but the word spread very quickly - this is certainly testimony to the impact that Ralph had on many people.

I moved to Grand Rapids nearly four years ago now and was very lucky to get to know Ralph.  He fought a very courageous battle through the years and remained so positive and resolute through the fight.

I had heard two months ago that matters had turned for the worse - I sent him a note and wanted to get him up to Kingsley again, but Ralph declined the offer because he didn't think he could make the trip.

We spent an afternoon last fall visiting Muskegon Country Club to complete a rating for Brad Klein and Golfweek - it was a gorgeous day and seeing the course through his eyes was such a great experience.  I drove us from Grand Rapids up and back - when we returned to Ralph's house he invited me in to see his golf room - it was in his basement with more hickory golf clubs than I had ever seen in my lifetime - and he knew the story behind each one.  It was a fascinating hour as I picked up many clubs and he told me about each one - it was then I realized how little I knew and that I was in the room with a luminary.

Ralph undoubtedly forgot more about golf and its history than I will ever know in my lifetime and I consider it a great privilege to have had the opportunity to get to know him.

Last year, my wife reached out to Ralph and purchased two Thomas Stewart clubs for me for my birthday - they are in my office tonight.  Each time I saw them I thought about Ralph and his love for this game - and the fight he was waging.

I am very sad tonight - Ralph's time was too short and the last few year's were a tremendous and valiant battle for him.  In one of his last emails to me he said he figured he had cheated death for quite some time given how serious his disease was - and the fact that he had battled on and stole a few more years gave him some satisfaction...

We lost a good one today.  

May the fairways where Ralph is now be firm and fast, may he have a hickory in his hand, may the sun be up and the wind be at his back, may he feel no pain, and may he have a smile on his face...

Rest in peace Ralph - you fought a great fight and touched many people and we are lucky to have gotten to know you...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:32:59 AM by Chris_Hufnagel »

Mike Boehm

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »
I had the opportunity to spend some time with Ralph on my first trip to Kingsley in 2009.  He watched my group play into #18 and struck up a conversation with me after we wrapped up.  It was my first GCA event and he made me feel extremely welcome.  He was kind enough to show me a sampling of his hickories and gave me the chance to play #10 with a handful them and a few different replica golf balls that he wanted to see how they reacted.  I had a blast listening to his advice while trying to figure out how to hit those things.  It was easy to share his joy as he walked me through the pieces of his collection he brought that day.  Really enjoyed my time with Ralph that afternoon.  Rest in Peace.

Brad Klein

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »
I am writing a piece on Ralph for Golfweek. I do not want to bother his family right now for a photo, so if anyone has a good image of Ralph, please email me with it. Thanks.
Brad Klein
igolfbadly@aol.com

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 10:39:57 PM »
Chris, that is beautiful - thank you so much for sharing. I never met Ralph, but I admired his spirit and dedication to the traditions of the game. This news of his passing leaves me with a heavy heart, though I would be remiss to say that there is a bit of an ethereal element in play (from my perspective anyway) as I happened to speak to Mr. Archie Baird in Aberlady, Scotland just this morning (called him totally out of the blue) asking to arrange a visit to his golf history museum in Gullane. I can't say for certain, but I have a feeling that they may in fact have been old friends.

My heartfelt condolences to the Livingston family and friends.  

Ralph, may you rest in peace.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:41:41 PM by Eric Smith »

john_stiles

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 12:10:26 AM »

Played a hickory round or two with Ralph at a toney 9 holer.  A great golfer indeed.  Met him later by happenstance at his beloved Kinglsey, warmed up with him, and watched his group go off the first.  Same as before, fun to be with, and fun to be around.

Play well Ralph, play well.  It was great to meet you and learn about hickory.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 07:30:29 AM »
Chris H,

What a touching, insightful window to a man who obviously left a soulful mark on many lives.

The others who have weighed in also are clearly feeling the loss of Ralph. Remember and cherish all those wonderful times shared with him men...and try to extend yourselves, as we all should when possible, to share the love of life and the game with others. I regret not ever having met the man. He was certainly a hickory legend and will be missed by many.

Respectfully,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

John Keenan

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 09:21:23 AM »
My deepest condolences to the Livingston family. I never had the opportunity to meet Ralph but I enjoyed his posts and
 admired the passion he had for hickories. 

Chris your post was touching and great to read. Thanks you.

John 
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Mike Policano

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 09:34:50 AM »
My condolences to Ralph's family. I never met Ralph but over the past two years Ralph and I emailed back and forth on hickories. His book on Stewart is an awesome result of much effort.  Unfortunately he was so humble, he only had 75 hardcovers published. They sold out in a week. The softcover books are long gone. He was nice enough to send me a soft copy so I didn't have to wear out my hard copy.

A year and a half ago I introduced him to my buddy Tim. Tim drove out to Ralph's house from the east coast. Tim was blown away by Ralph. Ralph's hickory collection and knowledge were perhaps unequalled. Ralph taught Tim the finer points of hickory club restoration and provided Tim some supplies. Ralph also parted with some of his prize possessions. Righties for Tim and lefties for me. Those lefty hickories take on more meaning now.

When we started the Metropolitan Hickory Society in January, we made Ralph our first member. We had his bag tag made of hickory of course. We sent him a formal invite to our first tournament and kept him apprised of all our activities. While he was appreciative, we could tell it was a little bittersweet for him.

Ralph was a true gentleman and will be missed by all who came in contact with him. He was instrumental in sparking the current resurgence in hickory golf. It will be an honor to keep it going in his memory.  

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »
RIP...and my condolences to his family
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »
Wonderful story, Mike. I loved what he stood for. Golf is the greatest game in part because history is always bumping into present. Somebody has to do the bumping, of course.

My condolences, and gratitude, to his family and friends.

Mike Policano

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »
Ralph's clubs were also movie stars. He supplied the club for The Greatest Game Ever Played and The Legend of Bagger Vance.

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 07:46:02 PM »
I too had the opportunity to hit a group of hickories from Ralph's collection at a Golfweek event at Beverly some years back. Ralph thought me that every conceivable club type had existed "back in the day" and that there really was nothing new in club design. I will never forget the anvil of a lob wedge he handed me to hit. It seemed liked it weighed a couple of pounds but if you dropped it behind the ball, the ball jumped straight up in the air.

Ralph will indeed be missed. My condolences to his family.

Greg

Joe Bausch

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 07:49:16 PM »
My condolences to Ralph's family. I never met Ralph but over the past two years Ralph and I emailed back and forth on hickories. His book on Stewart is an awesome result of much effort.  Unfortunately he was so humble, he only had 75 hardcovers published. They sold out in a week. The softcover books are long gone. He was nice enough to send me a soft copy so I didn't have to wear out my hard copy.

A year and a half ago I introduced him to my buddy Tim. Tim drove out to Ralph's house from the east coast. Tim was blown away by Ralph. Ralph's hickory collection and knowledge were perhaps unequalled. Ralph taught Tim the finer points of hickory club restoration and provided Tim some supplies. Ralph also parted with some of his prize possessions. Righties for Tim and lefties for me. Those lefty hickories take on more meaning now.

When we started the Metropolitan Hickory Society in January, we made Ralph our first member. We had his bag tag made of hickory of course. We sent him a formal invite to our first tournament and kept him apprised of all our activities. While he was appreciative, we could tell it was a little bittersweet for him.

Ralph was a true gentleman and will be missed by all who came in contact with him. He was instrumental in sparking the current resurgence in hickory golf. It will be an honor to keep it going in his memory.  

+6.02 x 10exp23
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 11:22:29 PM »
Ralph set me up with some hickories at Kingsley on the day, mentioned above, he played with John Kirk.  We played ahead of their group, but I was pleased to have met Ralph and to have been a beneficiary of his generosity.  The set included a cleek that produced a low stinging ball flight that was a wonder to behold.

That was fun, thanks again Ralph.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 11:56:30 PM »
Ralph set me up with some hickories at Kingsley on the day, mentioned above, he played with John Kirk.  We played ahead of their group, but I was pleased to have met Ralph and to have been a beneficiary of his generosity.  The set included a cleek that produced a low stinging ball flight that was a wonder to behold.

That was fun, thanks again Ralph.

Eric, if I'm not mistaken, that was the day I met you as well.  Good day at Kingsley!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:02:35 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back