News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Troy (NY) deserves a photo tour; I'VE STARTED IT BELOW THE GREENS PHOTOS. In the meantime, here are some looks at Travis greens that remain in their original state. The unique thing about Troy is, the property is tremendous, the routing is thoroughly seamless, the green surrounds (bunkers, mounding, chipping areas) are inspirational and the putting surfaces themselves are balanced. No single green stands out (as is the case with Travis' 18th at Cherry Hill [Ontario])...here are samples of these memorable green spaces.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:34:09 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Malcolm Mckinnon

Re: Greens at CC Troy
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:58:06 AM »
Ron,

Having recently posted a bunch of photos and seen how the camera flattens things all I can say is ....

Wow!

Those are some nasty greens!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 06:16:25 AM »
Malcolm,

You get it! Tim Martin and I played the Troy course on Monday the 30th and were mesmerized. There had been suggestions that Troy had a set of greens worth seeing. The rumors were factual. The greens were such that Tim and I probably took 4 hours to play the round, as we putted and putted and putted laterally, vertically and diagonally. We couldn't resist making up hole positions, to see how balls would react.

I remarked to Tim that it is so difficult to capture the true movement of a green, that the human eye is the greatest lens of all, or at least the one with the best interface to our human hard drive. It was when I reached home Monday evening and looked at the images, that I realized how fortunate I had been to capture in a communicable way some of the movement.

If one were to cut the greens to 11 stimp or so, balls would turn and roll out beyond appreciable anticipation. The staff understands this and had them running at a puttable grass height. Still, as the dew dried, we became much more cognizant of the threat of the putting surfaces. Troy plays like a mountain course, without the severe rises and drops that one finds in places like the Poconos, New England, the Catskills or the Smoky mountains. The greens therefore receive tremendous influence from the surrounding, irregular topography, in addition to their birthright at Travis' hands.

The super at Troy, Chris Strong, lurks around these parts (GCA) and may be reading as I type. He possesses an incredible wealth of knowledge and shared it with us generously and fearlessly. Monday was a slow day at Troy (they were punching the greens directly behind us) and he stopped by every 4-5 holes or so to check in, ask us our thoughts and answer questions/confirm suspicions.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 06:39:56 AM »
Ronald:

Thanks for those pictures.  It IS difficult to capture green contours in photos -- even at Augusta National -- but you've done a pretty good job there.

The one green that stands out for me above the others at Troy is the par-4 on the back with the higher front tier and then the fallaway -- I think it was the 13th.  But you are right, it's not head and shoulders above the others.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 07:27:04 AM »
I maxed out at 550 images (need a new 4 gb memory card), such was the enthusiasm for everything Troy.

I think that this is the one you liked-#14, the uphill hole. I don't know what I didn't get more pictures of it...perhaps we spent too much time putting it. Oh, and I airmailed it.

This memorial really tugged at us.

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 08:46:05 AM »
WOW!!! From the opening tee shot to the final approach into 18 green the movement in the land is off the charts. Travis took advantage in every way with an absolutely wonderful site and delights from start to finish with nary a weak hole in the bunch. For starters driving the ball is a blast due to wide fairways and plenty of humps,bumps,swales and natural kick plates to propel the ball toward the target if you catch them correctly. The front nine takes you out around the perimeter of the property and the back nine brings you inside. The holes go up,down,right and left and throw in a handful that are as they say "out in front of you". There are also some very dramatic blind shots which have you running in anticipation to see the result. The par threes give you two really cool short holes under 150,one at 193 and another at 255 which thankfully plays downhill. Finally the greens are amazing as captured by Ron`s photos with some very cool internal contours,spines and tiers. Chris Strong and his crew have the golf course playing beautifully with greens speeds that are right in tune with all that is going on without being over the top. I putted a lot of balls that were off the greens in collection areas and Chris said he has tried to preach the gospel to members about bumping and putting the ball instead of trying to clip the sand wedge. Because I don`t have the nerve or ability for the sand wedge it was easy to take his advice. Finally there is a ton of history here as evidenced by the trophy cases,boards, and photos that adorn the great old clubhouse. The place is a stunner in every way and my biggest surprise of the year. Thanks Chris. :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:57:34 AM by Tim Martin »

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »
Ronald:

Really terrific pictures of a difficult subject -- speaking as one who's tried and largely failed to capture green contours in photo threads here on GCA. One question -- is the entrance road to Troy CC as cool as it looks in the aerial?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
Phil...Totally!

When I passed through the gate, my GPS said "arrive in 4 minutes." You have this winding drive that serpentines and switches back...you pass over a creek via an older bridge. No sense of ostentation at all...just a wooded drive. You actually have no idea that you are entering a golf club...no faux mounding or bunkering. Incredibly cool.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
Good lord, this is getting obscene.  Forget Scotland. Forget Ireland.  Forget England.  Forget Australia.   Forget Long Island.

I just want to work my way from Buffalo through Rochester, then Rome and finally Troy!

The 2013 Hillbilly Tour.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 01:11:28 PM »
Good lord, this is getting obscene.  Forget Scotland. Forget Ireland.  Forget England.  Forget Australia.   Forget Long Island.

I just want to work my way from Buffalo through Rochester, then Rome and finally Troy!

The 2013 Hillbilly Tour.

Bogey

I'm down! Check out my Syracuse thread.  8)

Ron,

I wouldn't want to hit a pitching wedge into those greens the way they're sloped, let alone a 5 or 6 iron which some of them surely require.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 02:54:40 PM »
Really enjoyed looking through your pictures, Ron, and happy to hear that you were able to play CC of Troy.  As you so well-describe it, it is joy to play.  Travis at his best.  At first, I was a little taken aback by your comment about no green standing out above all others.  I immediately had the thought of "What about #11, perched up there daring you to find the green surface, or the next hole with that bathtub that threatens to swallow an errant shot to the green."  I continued thinking of the unique characteristics of just about every green on the golf course.  You're absolutely right. As with his work at Ekwanok and Cape Arundel, Bruce Hepner did a wonderful job at CC of Troy. 

Any possibility I could get some of your shots to post on the Travis Society blogsite?

Ed Homsey
www.travissociety.com

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »
I still have not played a Travis course or visited one. But every time they show one on here I am amazed by the greens.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »

The slope on that edge CANNOT be as severe as it appears! Can it?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 05:24:30 PM »
Greg, it's a side fall-off. If you are over there, you have not played intelligently.

Ed, do you even have to ask? The answer, as always, is "of course."

Bogey, we will welcome you to the Old North with open arms. We're all hillbillies at heart.

Bill, all of the greens hold an approach, whether it be wedge, 5 iron or hybrid. I couldn't get one to release! Chris Strong is an absolute stud when it comes to keeping the greens.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »

The 2013 Hillbilly Tour.

Bogey

Upstate NY has incredible golf and even bigger lovers of the game! It takes a special kind of person to hit balls in the winter in a bubble when there's 3 feet of snow on the ground, then fight cold and wet winds in March (always) and April (probably) and May (sometimes) to be ready for the 4 glorious weather months of June, July, August, and September before the cold settles back in in October.

Michael Moore

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mark McKeever

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 01:46:09 PM »
Ron,

Despite the camera's attempt to flatten the terrain, the pictures tell a compelling story.  If Tim Martin likes the greens, they are surely wild! 

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

RDecker

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 04:55:04 PM »
Chris is a colleague and a really good guy,  he also does a great job by all accounts.  Every year my pro plays a section event at Troy and is confounded by the greens which are typically around a 12.  Haven't played it myself yet but am hoping to soon.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 05:54:39 PM »
Ha, ha...Moore.

I searched before posting, but somehow, missed yours. I'll try to fill in with images that complement yours.

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

mark chalfant

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 06:08:14 PM »
Its a magical/ charming course and splendid setting. The "drive in"  is very cool. Of the 470 classic era courses that Ive played. Troys set of   greens are probably among the top 7 or 8  sets.  Ron, thanks for another  great post

Mark

Ronald Montesano

Re: Greens at CC Troy (Now A Full-Frontal Foto Tour!)
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 10:47:38 PM »
The Image Excursion begins

Chris Strong's dog

Cool weather vane on clubhouse

Tee shot on #1

Tee shot on #1, farther down fairway

Fairway bunkers, left side, #1

Approach to #1 from right

#1 green from front-left vantage point

#1 green from back-left vantage point

Rear of #1 green, looking back toward fairway

#2 from tee

#2 green (left) and #1 green (right)

#2 green, front-left bunkering

#2 green, front-right bunkering

#2 green from left side

#2 green from rear

#3 from tee

#3 from tee, farther up

#3 from fairway toward green

#3 from fairway toward green, closer

#3, right green-side bunkers

#3 from rear of green

#4, From Tee

#4 From Tee, Farther Up

#4 from fairway rise, looking down toward green

#4 from fairway rise, looking down toward green, farther up

#4 from tee shot landing zone, looking back toward tee

#4 from right side of fairway, about 200 yards out, looking down at green beyond creek

#4 from 2nd shot landing area, looking back toward 1st shot landing area

#4 green from left side, above

#4 green from back left

#4 green and hole from back of green

#5 from tee

#5 from tee, farther up

#5 from landing area, looking back toward tee

#5 from left side of fairway, green obscured

#5 from left side of fairway, farther up

#5 from right side of fairway, green visable

#5 from 90 yards short of green, left side

#5 from behind green

#5 from behind green, farther back

#6 from tee

#6 from tee, focus on left-side fairway bunkers

#6 from tee, focus on left-side fairway bunkers, farther back

#6 from right side of fairway, above right-side fairway bunker

#6 from left side of fairway, 90 yards shy of green

#6 from right side of fairway, 40 yards shy of green

#6 from right side of fairway, 40 yards shy of green, minus bunkers

#6, right-side and right-rear green-side bunkers

#6 from 11th fairway, rear of green looking at #6 backward
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:43:50 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

Re: Greens at CC Troy (Now A Full-Frontal Foto Tour!) Holes 1-6 Posted
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 07:58:12 AM »
#7 from tee

#7 from tee, farther up

#7 from fairway

#7 from fairway, over left-side fairway bunkers

#7 from fairway, over right-side fairway bunkers

#7 from fairway, look at green from 110 yards out

#7 green, back-side bunkers

#7 green from #8 tee, left side of green

#7 green, left and back

#7 green from middle left side

#7 green, front and left side

#8 from tee

#8 from tee, savannah view

#8 from tee, savannah and green-front view

#8 green, from 30 yards short and left of putting surface

#8 green from front left

#8 green from front and right

#8 green from #9 tee, left side of green

#8 green from #9 tee, left side of green, closer

#9 from tee, blind tee shot from lower right tee

#9 from tee, blind tee shot, from upper left tee

#9 from fairway peak, looking down at green

#9 from fairway peak, looking down at green, closer

#9 from fairway, 80 yards short of green, below fairway peak

#9 green from right side, 15 yards short of green

#8 green from #9 tee, left side of green, showing back "pecs" of green

#9 green from rear, showing green and descent from fairway peak
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:00:45 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

John Blain

Ron-

Are you sure Burce Hepner restored the greens? I was always under the impression that every green at CC of Troy is to this day an original  and untouched Travis green and that Hepner only did a bunker restoration, but I could be wrong!

I have played Troy many times and for the most part have enjoyed playing there but it is a very polarizing course in that area and I believe it to be one of those courses where you need to appreciate and have an interest in golf course architecture to really appreciate what is there. Over the years I have heard many people say it's "too hilly, too many blind shots and those greens are crazy."  You know the type ;)

John B.

Ronald Montesano

John,
you are absolutely correct and I will edit the thread opener. Bruce Hepner has worked on other features of the course, leaving the greens alone. Chris Strong, the CCTroy superintendent, confirmed this.

GCA equals taking the blue pill versus the red pill. As Tim Martin and I rode around (had to ride, due to camera equipment) and putted from all conceivable angles, we couldn't stop drooling over the features of the course. The only truly blind shots, in my humble opinion, come on number 9 tee and number 10 approach. Were there others that you noticed?

For GCA, Troy is an amazing property. We do have quite a run of Travis along the I-90...Stafford, Yahnundasis, Troy...there are others. And that's not even getting to Ross and other golden-agers.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:22:20 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

John Blain

Ron-

Depending on how far you hit it you could consider any of the following shots blind or semi-blind:

- The second shot into #1.
- The second shot into # 4 (if you are going for the green in two)
- The second shot on #5
- The second shot on #6
- The drive on #9
- The second shot on #10

Here is how I would rank the Travis course in upstate New York:

1) Yahnundasis
2) Stafford
3) CC of Troy
4) Onondaga
5) Orchard Park

I willl add that I don't believe any of the above can compare to the grreat Ross course like CCB, Oak Hill West, Monroe, Glens Fall, etc.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back