News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Trump Scotland - photo tour
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »
I realise there is a 5-page discussion of this course on GCA, but I have written this account before reading that discussion. I do not want it to influence my observations.

I was lucky enough to be a guest at the Hawtree Centenary Celebrations held at the company’s latest creation, Trump International Golf Links, a few miles north of Aberdeen on Scotland’s East Coast. Brian Morgan’s excellent photographs on the course website had given me an idea of the grandeur of the course, but even in drizzle and poor light the reality was even more impressive.

Donald Trump was present and he spoke to us wittily at lunchtime. Martin Hawtree also spoke. His understated, slightly patrician tones contrasted hugely with Trump’s outgoing style, and I am sure it would have been wonderful to have been a fly on the wall each time the two met to discuss the project and the course.

There was much opposition to the building of this course, not least from environmentalists, but Hawtree’s team took great pains to protect every element of the dune system in routing and subsequently constructing the course. Given the enormity of the dunes several holes must have suggested themselves immediately, but the routing has been very cleverly arranged in order to bring about huge variety in the nature and styles of holes – there are no two holes alike – utilising the natural features brilliantly.

A single round played in a Texas scramble is hardly going to reveal many of the subtleties of the course, but I was immediately impressed with the degree of detail incorporated into the design, all the little swales and hummocks, especially around the greens, and the complex slopes and borrows of the extensive putting surfaces.  Although I could hardly photograph every detail while keeping pace in a match I noticed so many subtle touches here and there that you could write a book about the course and it would not be a short book!

There are at least six tees on each hole, giving a course that can range from 5215 yards to 7428 yards. For us they had set up a course using a variety of tees mainly from the Blue and Gold courses, giving us a course of perhaps 6,800 yards. There was not much wind, although it was a significant factor on those holes which enjoy highly elevated tees. Martin suggested that we might be surprised at the generous width of the fairways and even I have to say that I felt less intimidated on many of the tees than I had expected to be. However some of the carries were serious!

Given yardages are from the shortest and longest men’s tees.

1.   478-541 yards par 5.

Straightness is compulsory here, although there is more room than you might imagine on the right. We played the hole at 491 yards and our longest hitter (around 300 yards) found himself driving to a very narrow part of the fairway, which he would not have done from either of the longer tees.

Over the latter stages the fairway undulates before climbing to a raised green.

Get out of position and recovery needs a deft touch.

2.   381-443 yards par 4.

The tees all around the course are set in native vegetation, rendering them invisible if you look back from the fairway. Paths are grass, too, so that walking is pleasantly noise free. As can be seen the native vegetation has been spared the mower! This is a pleasant driving hole on which longer hitters have an opportunity to demonstrate their prowess by driving clear of Menie Burn which crosses the fairway.

The said Menie Burn and, in the distance a flagstick cunningly protected.

One well-placed bunker does the trick….

….aided by a naughty little swale which only becomes visible at the very last moment.

3.   147-205 yards par 3.

Little is revealed from the tee.

As we shall find so often, the green is raised.

This is as close as we get to the sea.

4.   460-563 yards par 5.

A decent carry is required to reach the fairway over this jungle. The Blairton Burn runs along the right side of the fairway almost all the way to the green.

Approaching the green the fairway climbs through a minefield of bunkers.

This green has a typically complex putting surface with ridges and contours to confound all of us if the putt is lengthy.

5.   349-386 yards par 4.

This fairway is generously wide but you need to direct your drive taking into account the pin position on this broad and sloping green.

A running approach is unlikely to make it onto the putting surface through this undulating fairway.

6.   165-183 yards par 3.

The shortest hole on the course does not present a generous target, protected on the left by that hillock and on the right by a steep drop into an abyss.  Miss the green by the smallest of margins and almost certainly your ball is lost.

More to follow....
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:38:59 PM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: Trump Scotland - photo tour
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »

7.   230-281 yards par 4.

On paper this may seem driveable, but the risks are plain to see.

A tee shot just short of these bunkers leaves only a short and manageable pitch.

8.   422-500 yards par 4.

Yet another long carry is demanded to find a fairway angled from left to right across the line. The shorter tees are positioned further to the left giving a straighter and much less demanding shot. Bunkers constrict the fairway in the big hitters’ territory.

Most of us will not be able to get up in two shots and we will be playing our third shot from around here. The green is generously expansive.

9.   427-470 yards par 4.

From this forward tee the carry for shorter hitters such as I is less stern and the fairway opens out a little as the fairway progresses.

But as the green is approached the fairway narrows considerably between the dunes.

This pin is positioned at the front of what is actually a very long green. The tiny clubhouse is the stone-built building, the marquee on the left being a temporary structure large enough to accommodate the guests for lunch and supper, and Mr Trump, too.

Invariably there is movement in the land, bringing such fun to every shot, even a short chip such as this.

10.   495-573 yards par 5.

The early part of this hole might be Brancaster, giving way later on to something drawn from Ballybunion.

Bunkering here is serious.

The need to plot your way around bunkers is obvious as the fairway climbs through the dunes.

The dunes creep ever closer the nearer to the green you are.

Yet again the putting surface undulates significantly.

Looking back whence we have come I am reminded visually of the 17th on Ballybunion Old.

11.   392-470 yards par 4.

The daunting view from the back tee.

Somewhat more encouraging from here!

This drive is in perfect position just where the fairway begins to unfold to the right.

From closer range.

12.   367-435 yards par 4.

An inviting drive. Big hitters can run out of fairway, or they might consider cutting off some of the dog-leg by striking out over the dune on the right.

The view from a decent drive.

Rather more is revealed as the green is approached.

More to follow....

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »

13.   178-229 yards par 3.

The arresting view from the back tee.

The hole is no less handsome from this forward tee.

14.   372-445 yards par 4.

This proved to be a very demanding drive in a strong left to right wind. Only our 1-handicapper managed to find his ball, playing from the 410-yard plate.

Once the fairway has been found progress is less strenuous.

But it is all too easy to trundle into that green-front bunker if the pin is on the right.

15.   319-392 yards par 4.

This is the view from the 319-yard tee. Long hitters need to steer accurately between the bunkers or take the left hand ones out of play by driving over the top of them.

Even from short range the pitch is tricky to judge.

This green is at the very northern end of the course.

16.   157-195 yards par 3.

On this last short hole the long, thin green is angled across the line of play adding or subtracting from the yardage considerably depending on where the pin is located.

Contours on the putting surface are subtle but effective.

17.   404-466 yards par 4.

The prospect from the 404-yard tee.

It is readily apparent that you must not fall short on your approach to the green. The green-front bunker governs many pin positions. As usual there is considerable slope to the putting surface.

18.   586-651 yards par 5.

As you walk forward through the dunes from the 17th green you do not suspect that you will emerge with this view in front of you.

Big hitters can see clearly which bunkers they are trying to clear or keep to the side of. From this, the 627-yard tee, it is no mean feat simply to make the fairway. I know, because I failed!

Bunkering is prolific and serious.

Although the putting surface is one of the least complicated on the course there is just sufficient movement to call for a clear head on longer putts.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »
Mark -

Thanks for the wonderful photo tour. Very impressive stuff.

DT

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »
Happily added to: http://www.delicious.com/golfclubatlas

Now let the fur fly!

David Kelly

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »
Mark,

Thanks. 

First of all the course looks tighter than a new Scotch drum.  Is there room out there, especially if the wind is up? And secondly, if there isn't room are you able to recover from the tall grass?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 01:27:54 PM »
It looks very Irish to me.
John Marr(inan)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »
David,

The fairways are quite generous. What isn't generous is that there is very little first cut and the really deep stuff starts immediately. Martin said that it was necessary to do this at this stage of the course's development. The idea is that in time they will increase the first cut and that the deep stuff will gradually get trodden down when people start looking for golf balls. So those positions that many golfers go in will soon be much more user friendly. I didn't really see anyone bothering to look for balls - I expect we lost 25 between the four of us. It was a slow round of golf and we needed to get round in time for supper!

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »
...I expect we lost 25 between the four of us. It was a slow round of golf and we needed to get round in time for supper!

For those who haven't had the pleasure, how does this compare to some of the other famous links, say perhaps Turnberry, Muirfield, Birkdale and Sandwich, from the rota?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »
Mark

It was nice to see you again up in Scotland.  I too have a full photo tour that I was going to post, but you've saved me the trouble.  I'll chip in with a few added views when I get them loaded up if they add anything.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 01:56:39 PM »
Robin is currently sitting across from me in the BA lounge at Aberdeen airport, waiting for our delayed flight back to Heathrow. I too will chip in, when I get home and get the pictures off my camera.

Jack - I agree it has something of an Irish feel to it.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 02:03:45 PM »
This place looks amazing. An incredible setting and what looks to be a very complex, challenging, and fun course.

I'll confess that I don't love the look of the 18th. The ponds up the left feel a bit out of character from photos and the bunkering looks like just too much. That being said, though, it'll obviously provide plenty of drama at the finish of any event.

Aside from that, it looks spectacular. Demanding, but even in photos I find myself wanting to try to pull some of those shots off, or talking myself out of the aggressive play and into the safer one.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »
Excellent photos Mark, thanks for the tour.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »

Shades of Carne, Enniscrone and the Island?

I think so, Brian, especially the latter two. Better manicured, mabye, but the dunes make it look a bit Irish.
John Marr(inan)

James Boon

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to post this photo tour!

I'm not quite sure what I was expecting to see considering the hype that proceeded the courses opening, and also its ranking in the recent Golf World Top 100. However, it certainly looks a spectacular setting and the course looks pretty decent?

The hype is naturally going to make some people excited, while also making some cynical. In all honesty I'm probably closer to cynical, especially when you read that they aren't even mowing the course the way they want to, people are losing balls easily and yet it still somehow manages to debut inside the top 10 of the earlier mentioned ranking. However, from these pictures alone, its made me keen to see the course for myself before judging it.

Thanks again and looking forward to seeing Robin's photos also!

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »
Looking through the pictures again, one of the first things that stands out to me is the appearance of the dunes? They seem to become so large so quickly adjacent to what appears otherwise quite flat areas, though these are probably coastal wetland, and the tops appear very... conical for want of a phrase? Almost like the odd shape seen in some of the more artificial dunes I've seen in photos of say The Castle Course, but much larger. I wonder if this is because of the rare protected nature of the dunes before the course, that means we wont have seen much of this type of thing before? Also, we are used to seeing dunes on courses that have been there for circa 100 years so various levels of erosion will have smoothed the dune tops?

Please don't take this as cynicism based on my earlier post  ::) I'm genuinely curious about the appearance of the dunes!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 03:29:28 PM »
How about a bit of Birkdale mixed with the Donald Steel holes at Enniscrone and perhaps just a sprinkling of The European to add a little spice to the conversation... What say ye that have just returned?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:44:47 PM by Ally Mcintosh »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 04:07:09 PM »
Mark, Thank you for posting!

The course looks very impressive, both visually and strategically. I'm glad the "micro-contours"  that make for great links golf seem to be in play around all of the greens.

If I could pick out any possible detractions, just from your pictures, the would be limited to:

1) rectangular teeing grounds - they seem to out of place in the amorphous dune-scape
2) marram grass plantings - I'm sure they will look fine when  the grow in, but why plant the grass with such uniform spacings?
3) over-bunkering - I find the choice of several lines through a sparse minefield more compelling than an all-or nothing (carry, circumvent entirely, or suffer mercilessly) prospect.

Do any of these weakness bear out on the ground, or am I merely making the typical mistake of making erroneous second-hand judgments?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Philip Gawith

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 05:12:54 PM »
Thanks Mark. The course looks striking and not a little daunting if the wind is pumping. Looks like centre of gravity of Scottish tourist golf has been pulled just that little further north again, as with Castle Stuart.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 05:40:15 PM »
All looks very impressive to me and I'm sure the praise would be stronger if the developer had a different name!

Can those of you who played there explain where you'd put 20 000 people for a big event? There doesn't look like a lot of off fairway space.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark_F

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 05:59:53 PM »
It looks like they bulldozed all the contour from the fairways and shoved it in front of the greens.

Thanks for a wonderful tour Mark.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 06:18:08 PM »

Shades of Carne, Enniscrone and the Island?

I think so, Brian, especially the latter two. Better manicured, mabye, but the dunes make it look a bit Irish.

Honestly this looks very similar to Enniscrone with maybe a touch too much bunkering, but I did not see any "throw away" holes. Windy days could be tough on some of those tee shots, but this is course I would love to play before it gets all Trumped up with houses and such.

What are Martin Hawtree's top 5 courses?

Thanks for posting Mark.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 06:42:48 PM »
They've had to plant the marram grass in great quantity in order to stabilise the dunes, which were actually moving. That it is done in regular pattern is neither here nor there because it will naturally grow differently because of the nature of the sand, exposure to rain, wind, sun etc. Adam and Robin will hopefully chip in with more informed detail of the construction and how much earth was actually moved.

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 07:07:09 PM »
This place looks amazing. An incredible setting and what looks to be a very complex, challenging, and fun course.

I'll confess that I don't love the look of the 18th. The ponds up the left feel a bit out of character from photos and the bunkering looks like just too much. That being said, though, it'll obviously provide plenty of drama at the finish of any event.

Aside from that, it looks spectacular. Demanding, but even in photos I find myself wanting to try to pull some of those shots off, or talking myself out of the aggressive play and into the safer one.

Great photos.
Lots of good looking holes.

Not a fan of the Trump style/persona, so clearly prejudiced.

I actually like the look of the 18th-a very unique looking hole for a links course.
For those that don't like the water(that looks quite natural to me) look a little further left at the bigger water ;D.
Water is quite often found in dunes/linksland and it makes no sense to why it is so often villified as unnatural on links courses (beats a lost ball in gorse or 3 foot marram grass)

Over time the grass will thin from traffic and no doubt the grass will be cut substantially  further back to playable levels due to golfer outcry (once the picture moments, developer ego ;), and  enviromental heat have subsided)
At that point perhaps I may venture there but there are many  so much simpler, more enjoyable, fantastic fun courses in the UK/Ireland (and for that matter right in that immediate area) that I simply see no urgency to get there.
Seems a better place to bring a camera then golf clubs (and certainly not 3 18 handicap friends ;D)

Just not a fan of courses that beat you to death(24 lost balls ::) ::) ;) ;) ::) ::) :o), but others are so I'm sure it will be popular.
Big world theory.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 07:29:31 PM »
I too am very perplexed by the width comments.  I am certainly not seeing much in the 70 yard wide fairways.  Perhaps I will take a different approach, the fairway corridors, as is to be expected when playing through large dunes, look quite narrow to me.  I think the greens look interesting, many with little turns that look hard to approach if one is trying to be aggressive.  One thing I seriously dislike is the grass around the tees.  Grass that long either effectively reduces the size of the tee or forces players to perhaps hit higher shots than they want.  There also looks to be a lot of grass around the greens.  I don't know if much of this is part of the stabilization plan, but there looks to be a lot of hack country close flags.

By far the thing that intrigues me most is talk of different angles from different tees.  Can anybody show me some specifics on this?  

Does anyone think this course Trumps Kingsbarns?  

Thanks Mark.  
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:11:29 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back