News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Lynch

Re: GCA Ballyhack: 2nd Annual Saul Shootout for The George Cup
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »
Lester:

Performance on The Quiz was abysmal.  Of ten questions only two players answered four correctly (and that included a gimme question about the sixth hole).

The weather really was amazing.  Once the sun cleared the mountains conditions were simply perfect.

WW

I had lost my Two-Glove tanline up here in Buffalo, but it was fully restored over the weekend (along with a very red face) - seemed appropriate to rock the ghost-hands look in honor of Tommy Gainey.  But we couldn't have asked for better conditions.  It was warm enough to be comfortable with or without shorts (or knickers), and the winds made their presence felt without being oppressive.

As for the abysmal Quiz performance, I will argue in my defense that there was a definite regional bias to several questions.  A certain question that was revealed as "of course, the answer is ____________ _____________" would not be self-evident to a Buffalo Bills fan.  Also, in all our defense, the last two "tie-breaker" questions were not of the "right/wrong" variety. 

However, having said that, I would not argue that Chris DeNigris' performance was indefensibly pathetic.   :D

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 08:19:14 PM »
Kevin is right that a regional bias existed (and will on future Quizzes).  However, we know the old saying: "When in Big Lick..."

WW

Lester George

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »
Still like to see sample questions to determine bias.

Lester

Andy Hughes

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 10:18:32 AM »
It was a fantastic weekend, and not only for my utterly dominating performance  ;D  It was sweet to 'crush my opponents, see them driven before me... and to hear the lamentation of their women'. (It's also incredibly helpful to have good teammates whose coattails you can ride!!)

While Kevin is correct ("Chris DeNigris' performance was indefensibly pathetic") we should all tip our caps to Chris for his prodigious blast on #10 that won the long drive competition. Likely next year he should have to play each hole from the Big Lick tees to equalize his distance advantage.  Also, a gold star to Kevin for playing his first round with hickories, while wearing knickers and walking all 18 (there may have been some serious huffing and puffing by the 13th hole...)

Lester, it turns out 'Big Lick' is the original name of Roanoke--us non-VAers were left to guess things like Georgeville or CoalTown or VinneGilesTown. Also, the  weather really was stunning.

I expect Scott W. to post every single picture he took.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Lester George

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
Andy,

Thanks for the comments.  Big Lick was one of the early names we considered for the club becuase of its historic Roanoke tie-in.  Needless to say, many (mostly the wives) thought it a bit too awkward.

I would really like Scott to post his pictures to show the beauty of fall weather to those Dixie Cuppers who were so unfortunate.  Even though Bill gives me credit for "warning" him, I really couldn't even envision the horrible two days they had.  They were all "gamers" and gentlemen throughout the whole ordeal.

Lester

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »
This year's Quiz questions included:

Ballyhack is located just outside Roanoke, the largest urban center west of Richmond in Virginia.  What Roanoke’s original name?

Last year Ballyhack architect Lester George designed a practice and facility to be built adjacent to The Dormie Club.  What is the facility called?

This Ballyhack member and lifelong amateur has won 19 Virginia State Golf Association majors, including six state FourBalls, three state amateur titles seven mid-amateur championships, and three Virginia State Open wins.

Who wrote “No hole is a good one unless it has one or more hazards in a direct line of the hole?”

What Ballyhack hole is known as “Gamble?”

What hole at Ballyhack presents the greatest yardage difference between the back and forward tees?

What Ballyhack member wrote The Big Miss?

What C.B. Macdonald-Seth Raynor tribute course is Lester George currently building in the mountains of North Carolina?

This member of the Ballyhack ownership group is scheduled for a 2012 salary of $2,288,204, including salary, car allowance, retention incentives, and income from sponsors including Nike.

This bird, found along the tenth hole at Ballyhack, uses a “broken wing act” to distract predators from its nest.

Extra credit:

What is the total acreage of Ballyhack Golf Club?

What was the low 36-hole score in the 2011 Virginia State Amateur qualifier contested at Ballyhack?

Top score was four (out of the first ten) and extra credit proximity was used to break ties.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 03:36:13 PM »
Lester:

I didn't know Big Lick was ever considered as part of all of the name.  Good call on not using it, but folks in town would have loved it.

WW

Scott Weersing

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »
Andy,

Thanks for the comments.  Big Lick was one of the early names we considered for the club becuase of its historic Roanoke tie-in.  Needless to say, many (mostly the wives) thought it a bit too awkward.

I would really like Scott to post his pictures to show the beauty of fall weather to those Dixie Cuppers who were so unfortunate.  Even though Bill gives me credit for "warning" him, I really couldn't even envision the horrible two days they had.  They were all "gamers" and gentlemen throughout the whole ordeal.

Lester

Here are some of the best photos from the weekend,

Pre-dawn on Sunday morning

Fog over the driving range

Third hole from the fourth tee

View of golfer on second green.

View of second hole.

Tenth green.

8th green

17th green view from clubhouse

Wade teeing off on no. 4.

Wade and Andy (only the winner cares who won)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:56:20 PM by Scott Weersing »

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »
Scott:

The picture of the clubhouse with Venus hovering high above is spectacular.

Thanks for sharing some great shots.

WW

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2012, 10:07:36 PM »
Andy,

Thanks for the comments.  Big Lick was one of the early names we considered for the club becuase of its historic Roanoke tie-in.  Needless to say, many (mostly the wives) thought it a bit too awkward.

I would really like Scott to post his pictures to show the beauty of fall weather to those Dixie Cuppers who were so unfortunate.  Even though Bill gives me credit for "warning" him, I really couldn't even envision the horrible two days they had.  They were all "gamers" and gentlemen throughout the whole ordeal.

Lester

The hot chocolate you and Jonathan brought around really helped!

Lester George

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 12:20:48 PM »
Scott,

The pictures are really good.  The clubhouse shot is very nice.  The shot of the second hole with the dew on the fairway is spectacular to me.  That one could be framed and put in the cottages.  Thanks for posting.

Lester

Andy Hughes

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 08:42:58 AM »
The George Cup certainly crowns good-looking champions. Mediocre golfers however.....

;)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back