News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

For course background see Ran's review in the Courses by Country section... http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/the-country-club-pepper-pike/

1942 Aerial

2012 Aerial

Photos and Yardages will be from the 6,558 yard White Tees (71.7/132).

Hole 1: Par 4, 345 Yards

The first hole at The Country Club is a tame one.  Played from an elevated tee just steps from the small golf shop the first tee shot is a lay-up for many as a stream crosses the fairway short of the green.

A very nice setting for the first tee...

Though it is hard to see in the pictures, the first fairway, perhaps mores than any other fairway at TCC, is replete with small movements and micro-undulations that make a flat lie an extreme unlikelihood...

The approach is played to a raised green over a creek that lay at a diagonal to the line of play.  Fairway cut short of the green will send a ball missed just short several yards farther away from the putting surface.

The 1st green at TCC is an interesting one.  Though it is subtle, the green has a form of perimeter contour where are slopes tilt toward the centre (aka a punchbowl).  I noted this feature on several holes at TCC, including the 2nd and the 6th, but these 'punchbowls' are not punchbowls a la Raynor variety.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:39:42 PM by Mark Saltzman »

Niall Hay

Great stuff Mark. 

Joe Leenheer

mmmmm......Country.....one of the best routings in Ohio and one of my favorite courses.  I will have to bite my tongue so not to clutter up your photo tour with my endless praise of this fine course....I'm already doing it aren't I?

Sorry!
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

JLahrman

Nice. I have played this course once, about 15 years ago. I remember being impressed, but memories are getting murky. It will be nice to see the full course.

Phil McDade

A club that maintains an extremely low profile, for the caliber of golf here, and one the public will finally get a chance to see when the US Women's Amateur takes place there next month. Flynn's masterpiece?

Mark Saltzman

Hole 2: Par 5, 472 Yards

A pretty darned cool tee shot played blind over a ridge with a couple of bunkers set into it.  Little clue as to ideal line...

A bunker guards the inside of the dogleg on this short par-5. Based on a 1940s aerial, this bunker has moved forward and left of its original location, likely in an attempt to keep its original strategic intent in-line with modern distances.  Tee shots that are not long enough leave a very awkward second...

After an ideal tee shot...

A duo of bunkers (at least one of which I believe is not original) pinches the lay-up area and protects the ideal line into the green from the left.

Another wonderful green with the same type of perimeter contouring as was found at the 1st, though it is more severe on this green.  Shots landing at the edges of the green will funnel towards its centre, but shots missing this green will leave difficult recoveries (especially from the left).

Mike Hendren

Those trees planted inside the dogleg of the 2nd are lamentable.  Looks like the second shot would be blind anyway for anyone blocked out by them. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Saltzman

Bogey, very good eye.  Trees are really not an issue at TCCPP as corridors are plenty wide and they do not affect design/strategy on most holes, even if they are not original.  The same could not be said of the 2nd hole, though.

Looking at a circa 1952 aerial (of course, much could have changed by then), the course is largely untouched over the past 60 years.  The second hole has had the most notable changes though, moving the fairway bunker right of the fairway, adding a bunker 50 yards short of the green, removing width in the DZ and, most importantly, adding trees to the inside of the dogleg.

1952 aerial of the 2nd hole:

2006 aerial of the 2nd hole:

Mike Hendren

Mark, I don't like the positioning of that bunker.  Looks like it could be moved in the direction of either 5 or 7 o'clock and function better without the trees. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

jonathan_becker

One of my favorite things about Country is the fact that the routing is tight (green, tee, green, tee, etc.) and yet many of the holes generally play in their own corridors.  It's a nice journey from start to finish.

I look forward to the rest of the tour.

BHoover

I'm excited to see the rest of this photo tour.  I grew up about 40 minutes south of TCC and heard great things from the members at Canton Brookside (where I worked in high school), but I've still never played it.  So I'm going to live vicariously through these photos.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 3: Par 4, 312 Yards

A really wonderful short par-4 and the last birdie opportunity for quite a while.  From the tee, it appears as though there is a nest of three bunkers guarding the inside of the dogleg...

But as the golfer nears/passes the first bunker it is clear that there is some 90 yards between the first bunker and the second.  Golfers that follow the Line of Instinct will be left with a difficult approach from a terrible angle (at best) or an approach from the tall grass (at worst)..

Approaching from the left is preferred, though there is no easy approach to this wide but shallow green

As you get to the green you see there is some 20 yards between the 2nd bunker and the 3rd... now that's forced perspective!

JLahrman

I missed Phil's note that the Womens' Amateur will be here this year. Not sure what the television schedule will be but I might try to tune in.

I seem to remember that after a few mild holes to start, the fangs really come out.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 4: Par 4, 350 Yards -- TCC is blessed with some wild and undulating terrain; land one would not expect in the Cleveland suburbs.  In general, Flynn routed the holes across the severe terrain, but not so at the 4th and 5th which play straight up and down some of the most severe land on the course.

The 4th hole is a lesson in strategic design.  Though short on the scorecard, the tilt of the fairway back towards the tee and the uphill second shot ensures that it is no pushover.  A single bunker jutting into the fairway on the right side from ~200-230 yards from the tee protects the ideal line into the green.  Excellent mowing lines reward the golfer that successfully challenges the fairway bunker.

Approaches from the left must deal with the green side bunkers (though not as big an issue to a right pin)...

While approaches from the right have a better look at the green and can be landed short and run on...

Flattened in the picture is a somewhat severe run-off right of the green.  This feature was not used often at TCC, and based on the 1950s aerial, several of these run-offs were once green side bunkers.

At the 4th, the golf is greeted by the first ridged green of the day. 

Hole 5: Par 3, 195 Yards

The 5th is a very strong par-3 that looks so simple from the tee.  The wild undulations in the green cannot be seen from 200 yards out and the severity of the false-front is very difficult to judge.  A miss in a green side bunker is quite acceptable.

As the golfer gets nearer the green he sees the full extent of the false front.  Like Brookside's (Ross) 12th, shots landing just short of the green will funnel to a low-point some 50 yards short of the green.

Shaped like a heart with a very interesting 'indentation' in the back-centre portion of the green, Flynn managed to design an amazing amount of contour on only a moderate sized surface.

Michael Taylor

Thank you for the photo tour Mark.

I love the false front on that 5th green. It's massive! They must have a large maintenance budget though to be able to walk mow all the aprons fronting the greens.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 6: Par 4, 427 Yards

A mid-length par-4 that plays very long, uphill the whole way and played toward land that tilts back to the tee.

Perhaps my favourite kind of dogleg hole -- one that provides a trade-off between playing toward the inside of the dogleg. 

From the left side of the fairway the approach is shorter but the front of the green is hidden from view, behind a bunker 50 yards short of the green...

while playing to the outside of the dogleg leaves a longer approach, but one that leaves a clearer view and an option to run the ball onto the green...

Another green with the unique perimeter contouring...

Hole 7: Par 4, 470 Yards

In its current form, the 7th is one of the great long par-4s I have ever played.  That being said, it is clear that what is on the ground today (well, at least the first half of the hole) is not as it was originally designed by Mr. Flynn.

The 7th is routed over absolutely ideal golfing terrain.  While the land tilts to the right for the first 200 yards, over the crest of the hill it slopes noticeably from left-to-right.  An unsuspecting golfer, unaware of the change in terrain, could hit a tee down the left side of the fairway only to find their ball completely out-of-position and in the rough to the left.  The ideal line is protected by the large bunkers on the right (though at 270 to reach from the middle tees, even downhill, they are out-of-range for many golfers).

The ideal approach is from the right side of the fairway near the fairway bunkering.

Approaches from the left must be played over this visually deceptive bunker 50 yards short of the green.

Lots of room over the left fairway bunker...

Another punchbowl green at the 7th...

JLahrman

If I remember the course correctly, Hole #6 is actually quite a bit more uphill than it looks in these pictures.

jonathan_becker

If I remember the course correctly, Hole #6 is actually quite a bit more uphill than it looks in these pictures.

It does and it's wider than it appears.  Also, if the player tries to play too safe out to the right off the tee, the approach becomes longer by multiple clubs.

In regards to #7, the front few paces of the green routinely kick balls towards the middle and back of the putting surface.  It takes an almost perfectly judged shot to get it close with a front hole location.  It's a subtle feature that dictates a lot on an already spectacular hole.

Mark Saltzman

Bump.  Historic and Modern aerials added to first post.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 8: Par 5, 529 Yards

One of several blind tee shots at TCC, it is clear that this was a routing choice Flynn did not shy away from.  Though the shortest line challenges the left side of the fairway, a recent addition of several small trees means that shorter hitters may be blocked-out after a seemingly ideal tee shot.

Upon reaching the bend in the dogleg the golfer is challenged with several options.  The nest of bunkers lay 60-90 yards short of the green with fairway beyond.  Longer hitters will want to carry them, while shorter hitters must choose whether to lay-up behind them or to play to the fairway left of them.

Note the very cool forced perspective architecture here.  Flynn melds the green side bunker with the fairway bunkers to make depth perception very difficult.

The approach from behind the bunkers is mostly blind but does allow the golfer to play to the width of the green.

Approaches from the left have a preferred view but must play across the green side bunker.

A small false-front.

This collection area left of the green was once a bunker.

Hole 9: Par 3, 158 Yards

A hole that I believe Tom Doak called one of the best at TCC in The Confidential Guide.  A mid-length par-3 played to a green set in a very nice green-site, though one has to wonder if the creek could have been used more effectively.

Back Tee View:

Middle Tee View:

From the tee and even from short of the green it looks like this slope will collect shots short of the green into the creek.  But, this is a visual trick, as the slope of the fairway is more gradual than it appears from afar.

From short of green:

From Behind:

jonathan_becker

Mark, two things, regarding #8, the first time I played the hole I went for the green in two from the right side and was completely shocked to find all the room behind the fw bunkers.  Flynn got me big time.

Regarding #9, I played with a gca'er whose shot landed a pace short/right of the front edge and his ball ended up in the creek.  I'm sure it doesn't happen often but I've seen it.  A great hole that ninth.

JLahrman

I'm looking forward to the back nine. The front nine is good but I seem to recall some real standouts on the back nine.

jonathan_becker

I'm looking forward to the back nine. The front nine is good but I seem to recall some real standouts on the back nine.

10, 14, 15, and 17 would stand out on almost any course. 

Mark Saltzman

11 too. But it might just be more shocking than great.

jonathan_becker

11 too. But it might just be more shocking than great.

That's true.  I've played 5 Flynns and they all have that uphill par 3 in there somewhere.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back